Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Gore Says Andrew Luck Is A 'football God'

OhioColtsGirl

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_22462728/super-bowl-2013-frank-gore-is-49ers-spiritual

Some people have trouble learning. Other people refuse to learn. 

Funny you mentioned that Superman. I say that because in Library school at least the program I graduated from anyway dealt with a heavy curriculum on how patrons process the same information differently given a person's cultural background, English as a 2nd or 3rd language, their fears of technology they have never used before, the layout of the building & how inviting or scary it is, whether people understand what their real questions are from a research standpoint etc. etc. In other words, learn to be approachable, put people at ease, assure patrons that there is no such thing as a foolish question, & that even if the librarian doesn't know where to go to gather the info initially both you & the patron will figure out the solution together on the same level. 

We were required to work in groups of 4-6 people a lot & you learn a lot about breakdowns in communication & what not to do which is a lesson in & of itself. Sorry to go off topic there Superman but it's cool to see the lightbulb go on when patrons really appreciate getting a solution to something that perplexed them & they feel better about their own ability to ask tough questions & find their own answers. 

Basically, you learn that nobody has all the answers but if you can remove the fear of confusion & view solutions as a partnership between the librarian & the patron incredible confidence develops to tap into whatever curiosity you may have. It's pretty cool actually. People process information differently & if you remember that people digest information in more than 1 format or way no one feels stupid they now feel empowered. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well....   your reputation as being one of the nicest, kindest poster on this website continues!      :thmup:

No harm done?       I mean,  have you read through this entire thread?!?        :peek:          :giveup:

Thank you NCF for your very kind words on my behalf. Yes, I've read every reply in this thread. I don't agree with rick182's simplistic conclusion that Gore is "stupid" naturally but all any of us can do is ask for clarification & give that person our perspective on things. 

Your responses on this thread were beautifully stated BTW. Bravo! Trust me, I respect your wisdom & intelligence immensely as well my friend.  :hat:

Frank Gore is pretty stupid, but I do like his attitude.

I'm still worried about his conditioning.

He'd have to come out after every 10+ yard run in SF because he was winded.

I hope he's ready to take some pressure of Andrew.

I'm sure his IQ is higher than yours. Just because people aren't always articulate when talking to media doesn't mean there not smart. You must think Lynch has a mental disability then don't you? Also watching him in camp his conditioning definitely didn't seem like a problem. Alot of backs take breathers after long runs. Get off your high horse.

Good article suggesting there is no positive link to wonderlic scores vs performance in NFL standards. I do remember awhile back there was a debate as to why they still even use it. Whatever floats their boats I guess. If I was a GM or talent evaluator, it would have limited barring in determining whether or not I would want a certain athlete on my team. In the end I'm neither for nor against it but it seems many people do use it to determine a players "book smarts," per se and also a tool to measure potential on field success which should be used with caution.

|Using 762 players drafted between 2002 and 2004, Lyons and his colleagues found no relationship between the Wonderlic and performance on the field. In fact, players who scored lower on the Wonderlic actually turned out to be a tiny bit better, on average, than those who got high scores.

Their conclusion:

"Empirical research has supported the validity of [Wonderlic score] as a predictor of job performance in traditional employment settings. However, the results from this study suggest that in the context of professional football [Wonderlic scores] (a) possessed a near-zero relationship with performance across positions and had an occasional significant negative relationship with performance by position, (b) did not differently predict performance by race, and © was unrelated to the selection in the NFL Draft or the numbers of games started during an NFL season."

The Wonderlic doesn't matter.|

http://www.businessinsider.com/johnny-manziel-wonderlic-score-2014-4

Don't worry, I will be sure to conduct a full investigation into the matter and report back with accurate data, haha.

Edit: rant off

When you may be signing an athlete down the road to a 9 figure deal with a depth of contract issues, it is relevant to be aware if he is likely to understand it.  Football is more than just on field play.  It is learning in classroom settings, verbal, written, physical drills etc. and being aware of someone's limitations is very relevant.  Sure, it doesn't affect how fast or hard someone can run, but it may be an issue in other areas of the business, it also would inform the team of potential special assistance they may need to give the player so they can succeed in other areas of life, especially when many become overnight millionaires.  It is but one small piece in the overall evaluation, but a valid piece nonetheless.  Frankly, if someone only reads at a 3rd grade level, it would be good to know that before you hand them a playbook full of technical descriptions and concepts they may not be able to even read.  Dyslexia is workable once you KNOW about it, but often kids get left far behind in school because teachers are unaware.    A test like the wonderlick is only irrelevant if you do not know how to use it as a diagnostic tool properly in context.  

And that is a quite fair assessment. I can see the other side of it though because if you're capacity to retain what you learn is lacking, by evidence of test scores, then a person could make an informed assessment on your potential to pick up and learn various degrees of difficulty of training or knowledge absorption/information overload. It is not an end all be all either though.

Yeah, I'm just ranting about it because I was bored as all %*+^..... I'm really not for, nor against it even though I may think many of the tests are garbage, my opinion doesn't make it valid obviously. At the same time I wouldn't classify someone as lesser because they may fail a standardized test. Blah blah blah!

Ok I'm done with test. I didn't mean to derail the thread!

Spider!!!!

Thank you NCF for your very kind words on my behalf. Yes, I've read every reply in this thread. I don't agree with rick182's simplistic conclusion that Gore is "stupid" naturally but all any of us can do is ask for clarification & give that person our perspective on things. 

Your responses on this thread were beautifully stated BTW. Bravo! Trust me, I respect your wisdom & intelligence immensely as well my friend.  :hat:

By the way,  Ricker's reaction to the flood of posts against him was to now call Gore "dumb" instead of "stupid".    

I'm still not sure he gets it?

Yes, Frank is a great running back & he is also to be commended for overcoming personal adversity too. I'd never refer to Frank as "dumb" personally because like NCF so eloquently said a lot of people deal with learning disabilities on a daily basis. I, myself, have one in math.

I think what you are getting at is this: Mr. Gore is to be praised for not giving up on his football dreams simply because reading was a difficult challenge to him. Essentially, Frank never gave up or threw in the towel. Also, low Wonderlic scores means virtually nothing since intelligence comes in many forms not just taking a stardardized test well. No harm done ricker182.

This is exactly what I meant to portray.

He isn't smart but it doesn't matter because he's a great football player and seems like a good dude.

I was impressed he could overcome his disability and do something he's actually good at and loves.

People in here need to grow some skin.

I'm sure his IQ is higher than yours. Just because people aren't always articulate when talking to media doesn't mean there not smart. You must think Lynch has a mental disability then don't you? Also watching him in camp his conditioning definitely didn't seem like a problem. Alot of backs take breathers after long runs. Get off your high horse.

I'm not a genius but I guarantee you he doesn't have a higher IQ than I have.

But I don't see how that matters.

He's a great football player with natural gifts that I don't have.

Thanks for saying this!

In one of my posts in this thread, I linked a list of famous people with Dyslexia.... among the many notables.....

One Albert Einstein.

Yup, even the world's smartest man had a learning disability........

Are you putting Einstein's intelligence on par with Gore's intelligence?

I'd put Gore's football ability easy above Einstein's football ability.

Are you putting Einstein's intelligence on par with Gore's intelligence?

I'd put Gore's football ability easy above Einstein's football ability.

Goodness gracious, NO!!!!!!!

I simply noted that both have learning disabilities.    That they're both dyslexic.     That's all.

Frank Gore is no where near as smart as Albert Einstein.     But that's not a knock on him.    Because no one is as smart as Einstein.

Goodness gracious, NO!!!!!!!

I simply noted that both have learning disabilities. That they're both dyslexic. That's all.

Frank Gore is no where near as smart as Albert Einstein. But that's not a knock on him. Because no one is as smart as Einstein.

I'm sure there are plenty of people as smart as Einstein, but that doesn't really matter.

Andrew Luck is God.

This is exactly what I meant to portray.

He isn't smart but it doesn't matter because he's a great football player and seems like a good dude.

I was impressed he could overcome his disability and do something he's actually good at and loves.

People in here need to grow some skin.

I agree with the last sentence.

Thanks....   I appreciate the links. 

But I don't think they prove the Gore is stupid.      In fact,  I think they prove the opposite.

Your reading level link says he has a bad learning disability.     I think that explains the 6 wonderlic and the 3rd/4th grade reading level coming out of high school.

I don't know what his learning disability is -- there are all kinds -- but a learning disability, even a severe one does not make someone stupid.

And the fact that you note he's good at learning an NFL playbook should speak volumes as to how smart the guy is.   An NFL playbook can be daunting for many players.    That's why most rookies don't contribute much.    Information overload and they can't process things fast enough when they're playing.    Takes 'em a year or so to get up to speed.

I suspect Frank Gore is much smarter than some here give him credit for......

Just some food for thought.....

Best post in this thread. And I disagree with Gore that Luck is a "football god" but he is very special and on his way to becoming an elite quarterback. Still has some steps to take.

Best post in this thread. And I disagree with Gore that Luck is a "football god" but he is very special and on his way to becoming an elite quarterback. Still has some steps to take.

"Football god" is just a figure of speech. He is one of a few "football gods". People take things too seriously.

I couldn't bring myself to read the comments about what Gore said on nfl.com. I'm sure the haters came out in droves.

Actually,  Gore said the quotes right here on Colts.com.    The NFL.com surfs all the 32 team websites and cherry picks stories for them to use.      Whatever Gore said in their story,  he said here on our website first.  

"Football god" is just a figure of speech. He is one of a few "football gods". People take things too seriously.

I don't like referencing any man as a "god" whether as a figure of speech or otherwise. It is my personal preference and I have a right to say as much. You have your right to disagree. That aside Gore is just enamoured because Luck is the best QB he has had a chance to play with. And Luck is a special player with great potential. I know what Gore meant. Just would have phrased differently. Luck's critics will eat this up because they know he still has stuff to improve on...Skip Bayless already has. Gore isn't really doing Andrew any favors here in my opinion. Let Luck's play do the talking.

I don't like referencing any man as a "god" whether as a figure of speech or otherwise. It is my personal preference and I have a right to say as much. You have your right to disagree. That aside Gore is just enamoured because Luck is the best QB he has had a chance to play with. And Luck is a special player with great potential. I know what Gore meant. Just would have phrased differently. Luck's critics will eat this up because they know he still has stuff to improve on...Skip Bayless already has. Gore isn't really doing Andrew any favors here in my opinion. Let Luck's play do the talking.

Good thing nobody takes skip seriously

Frank Gore doesn't care what you think. That's all that matters.

Yes, Frank is a great running back & he is also to be commended for overcoming personal adversity too. I'd never refer to Frank as "dumb" personally because like NCF so eloquently said a lot of people deal with learning disabilities on a daily basis. I, myself, have one in math. 

I think what you are getting at is this: Mr. Gore is to be praised for not giving up on his football dreams simply because reading was a difficult challenge to him. Essentially, Frank never gave up or threw in the towel. Also, low Wonderlic scores means virtually nothing since intelligence comes in many forms not just taking a stardardized test well.  No harm done ricker182. 

I am the opposite.  Great at math and can think outside the box which has helped me become awesome at my job but struggle with public speaking.  Not really a LD but more of social anxiety issues.  Get me in front of more than 3-4 people and it becomes hard for me to get my point across.  It sucks.

I am the opposite.  Great at math and can think outside the box which has helped me become awesome at my job but struggle with public speaking.  Not really a LD but more of social anxiety issues.  Get me in front of more than 3-4 people and it becomes hard for me to get my point across.  It sucks.

I used to be that way, but somehow  singing in front of a few thousand people over the years got me over my stage fright and public speaking.  

I am the opposite. Great at math and can think outside the box which has helped me become awesome at my job but struggle with public speaking. Not really a LD but more of social anxiety issues. Get me in front of more than 3-4 people and it becomes hard for me to get my point across. It sucks.

I am the same way. Social anxiety is terrible.