Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Future of Caldwell and the Polians [Mega-merge]

1959Colts

buccolts, not enough facts, have seen him blow the SuperBowl with his game decisions, causing the Jets to win last year playoff game with his brillant time out use, and well, just by being DULL

I did see those and we didn't lose those games because of Caldwell alone. I am not saying he wasn't the factor but he was far from the only person who made mistakes that cost us those game. There was the drop by Garcon, Baskett giving up the ball on the onside kick because he heard someone say blue ball, Freeney's injury (which was no one's fault) and Peyton Manning's INT that played a role in that Super Bowl as well. As for the Jets game there was the extremely poor coverage on the kickoff that really put us behind the 8 ball so to speak but there was the offense not being able to pick up one more first down to run out the clock before Adam's kick, all the missed third and ones in the first half, the fumble on that last dirve that the Jets player just happened to fall on and Lacey not doing a good job in coverage. There were several factors in those games besides just Caldwell alone. Again it doesn't mean Caldwell wasn't a factor or should keep his job for that matter but he is far from the only person who shares blame for those losses. Also being dull has nothing to do with how good of a coach you are. BB in New England is just about as boaring as Caldwell and I don't say people saying he should be fired because he's "dull".

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Polian, thank you for what you've done for this organization. Over the last decade you helped make the Indianapolis Colts relevant. You do deserve A LOT of credit for what has happened with our success over the years.

With that being said, sometimes change just needs to happen. It has been clear Polian has lacked in recent years and with the loss of just 1 player it showed. Way to go Jim Irsay for pulling the trigger! We really do have the best owner in the NFL IMO, although he's wacky at times I say he's very, very good.

Good news, we'll see what the new era has in store for us.

Caldwell is next....time to dial up Jeff Fisher or Bill Cowher for the coaching slot....Think of the team needs at this point....Reggie is not getting any younger

and neither is Dallas who has really starting to get hit by injury bug....still not sold on Garcon so who blocks for Peyton and who catches the ball if Reggie signs

elsewhere ?? Running back is no different....Addai...Brown...Carter...they are not the answer. So many questions on Defense to even list...softer schedule next year should help and we draft Luck to sit behind Peyton for 3 years who blocks, catches the ball or runs the ball next year ??

Softer schedule next year? Uh. I don't think so!

Polian, thank you for what you've done for this organization. Over the last decade you helped make the Indianapolis Colts relevant. You do deserve A LOT of credit for what has happened with our success over the years.

With that being said, sometimes change just needs to happen. It has been clear Polian has lacked in recent years and with the loss of just 1 player it showed. Way to go Jim Irsay for pulling the trigger! We really do have the best owner in the NFL IMO, although he's wacky at times I say he's very, very good.

I can agree with his 100%. I wasn't on the fire Polian bandwagon but I have also said i was willing to trust Jim Irsay's judgement on this. Change isn't always bad.

Softer schedule next year? Uh. I don't think so!

what you don't think road trips to New England, New York (Jets), the Bears, and Lions and a home game with Green Bay is soft lol

Hey on the plus side we do get the Browns next year! On the plus side even when they stink and we are good they give us fits.

This is fantastic news for the football team and many prominent cheerleading/Polian - way type folks right here on this board now have to eat HUGE amounts of crow. I'm very much looking forward to what lies ahead for the team. This also opens the door for head coaching candidates that might not have wanted to come here. Nothing but good will come from this. Well done, Jim Irsay, on taking your team back.

I've not read any responses in this thread......but I'd hope that a number of the usual "Colts way" supporters can't possibly have much to say for themselves. The Polians ought to take them right along with them.

Wow this is big guys...real big. Expected Caldwell to go but surprised that Irsay actually fired thePolians. I wonder what kind of repercussions this will have when it comes time to decide what to do with Peyton. I would think that Polian would have been inclined to keep Peyton (if healthy) but who knows how a new GM with no previous ties to Manning will assess the situation. Things are heating up in Indy.

I really don't think this is strictly a football issue. I just wonder if this is just a case of being such a PR distraction, or maybe Jim Irsay was just tired of BP acting as if he was the go to guy for all things Colts no matter what the question was.In my opinion this is way past just football.

buccolts, not enough facts, have seen him blow the SuperBowl with his game decisions, causing the Jets to win last year playoff game with his brillant time out use, and well, just by being DULL

O.K., I know some feel this way, but 'Changing Caldwell is for the better' offers nothing.

You'd have to expand more on 'seen him blow the SuperBowl'.

'Causing the Jets to win last year's playoff game with his brilliant time out use' is questionable.

'being DULL' has nothing to do with anything, unless you're talking about a comedian.

what you don't think road trips to New England, New York (Jets), the Bears, and Lions and a home game with Green Bay is soft lol

Hey on the plus side we do get the Browns next year! On the plus side even when they stink and we are good they give us fits.

Tell me about it. I'm not sure why people are assuming this.

Of course, the way this year played out, the Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Browns, Chiefs, Vikings, Jaguars (twice) shouldn't be all that difficult it the Colts are back in shape - and the Titans (twice) and Bears don't scare me all that much either.

I'll co-sign on that.

People have the Polian and Peyton thing all switched around.

Irsay in all likelyhood took out the Polians because they werent sure what to do with Peyton and Irsay showed hes dedicated to not only the future at the position, but to the current with Peyton Manning.

I think it's funny how the theories flying around have been "Polian wanted to cut Peyton" so Irsay fired him and LaCanfora think's that this Irsay getting ready to part with Manning.

Exactly we don't really know what any of this means for Manning yet. Just speculation at this point either way until more details are revealed.

They leveled the mansion and left the outhouse standing... (so far)

The mansion was way past its prime asd was only standing because people remember its long past glory days rather than seeing clearly that it was an eyesore that should have been demolished years ago and was standing in the way of progress.

I really don't think this is strictly a football issue. I just wonder if this is just a case of being such a PR distraction, or maybe Jim Irsay was just tired of BP acting as if he was the go to guy for all things Colts no matter what the question was.In my opinion this is way past just football.

Bill Polian was not the easiest man to get along with..

(and that apparently is the understatement of the year)

I was listening to Moving the Chains on Sirius radio when I heard the initial report of the Polians being let go, and Kirwan and the guys were reporting that the whole coaching staff (Caldwell included) were fired as well. It will be interesting to hear Irsay at 5!

I honestly don't think Caldwell is done here yet. I don't want him to be our head coach, but if he was going to be fired if would have been done along with the Polians. Unless Irsay wants the new GM to decide on our next head coach. We will have to wait and see.

I think it's funny how the theories flying around have been "Polian wanted to cut Peyton" so Irsay fired him and LaCanfora think's that this Irsay getting ready to part with Manning.

You're right.... it is just a theory, but it became a lot more plausible now that the Polians have been fired.

I think we've only seen the first of many shoes to drop.

I don't think he will stay. There is very little reason to keep a guy who just had 14 losses. I'm with everyone else. They will probably let the new GM figure it out

I was listening to Moving the Chains on Sirius radio when I heard the initial report of the Polians being let go, and Kirwan and the guys were reporting that the whole coaching staff (Caldwell included) were fired as well. It will be interesting to hear Irsay at 5!

Stuff like that makes me nervous. Firing everyone might be too much. You need some continuity to help the team be competitive in Peyton's final few years and give the team the best shot to win a Super Bowl.

This hasn't been Jim Irsay's team in a long time. Clearly, he's ready for a new direction that'll hopefully start building more positive legacy. I love this because it takes some brass to make a move like this. It's correct. This will swing the door open for some good football people to want to come coach in Indy now. Well done, Jim Irsay.