Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Future of Caldwell and the Polians [Mega-merge]

1959Colts

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This goes hand in hand with all those who considered Caldwell a puppet.

So if Caldwell was just a puppet - hired purely because he wasn't a threat to Polian - how do you explain the fact that Polian is gone and Caldwell is still here?

Caldwell will be gone soon.

Agree. Luck is coming here. With Irsay's statements in the presser it seems more likely to me that Manning might be done. Irsay talked about the continued risk of taking a hit even when Manning would take the field again. Peyton's future still VERY uncertain right now.

That is the tone I got from his comments as well. He used terms like "new era of Colts football" and entering a "rebuilding phase". Said if you have a chance to take a possible great quarterback then you got to take it.

The Rams are hoping to hire Jeff Fisher and pair with a young GM according to NFL.com.

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

Rams may want him but if Irsay really wants Fisher he will make a move to get him whether the new GM is in place or not. He said in presser that ideally he'd like the new GM in place before making any coaching decisions but was also clear to say that he wasn't locking himself into that if someone he really wants becomes available.

This goes hand in hand with all those who considered Caldwell a puppet.

So if Caldwell was just a puppet - hired purely because he wasn't a threat to Polian - how do you explain the fact that Polian is gone and Caldwell is still here?

A problem that will soon be rectified. Any GM we bring in will immediately chortle at the prospect of keeping the worst coach in the game and quickly show him the door.

I imagine the new GM will be in favor of a coach who can contribute to success rather than rolling with it.

Bingo. Change because you think that you have identified a better option can be good. Change just to placate the public sentiment that something needs to be changed is often self destructive.

This is my biggest concern based on Irsay's press conference. This sounds like change just because "it was time to make a change" without a better option in mind. That can be dangerous. Maybe I am wrong and Irsay actually has somebody in mind that is currently working with one of the playoff teams that he cannot communicate with yet.

A problem that will soon be rectified. Any GM we bring in will immediately chortle at the prospect of keeping the worst coach in the game and quickly show him the door.

I imagine the new GM will be in favor of a coach who can contribute to success rather than rolling with it.

That's only an opinion.

That's only an opinion.

That's only an opinion.

That's only an opinion.

That's only an opinion.

That's only an opinion.

Spat in the eye of 19-0.

Superbowl debacle.

Timeout management.

2-14. Would have been 0-16 if the Titans didn't play more inept than we did. (Hasselbeck) And the Texans didn't have their top three players IR'd or gimped. (They'll be 1 and done)

Yes man.

Yes man.

Yes man.

52-85 as a head coach.

Caldwell.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot...s400/Blinky.jpg

Even he knows he stinks.

We'll see what happens within twenty four hours of the new GM being named.

polian is one of if not the best gm in the nfl. i didn't like him pushing his son in the gm position. could this have been a reason for him being fired (maybe a if he goes i go scenario)? it just seems very strange that you fire a great gm that has done nothing but win where ever he has been.

i have been a colts fan for a long time and i have seen what happens when the owner thinks he knows more than the football people. i would taay with a proven winner. hopefully irsay will hire another polian.

polian is one of if not the best gm in the nfl. i didn't like him pushing his son in the gm position. could this have been a reason for him being fired (maybe a if he goes i go scenario)? it just seems very strange that you fire a great gm that has done nothing but win where ever he has been.

He's done nothing but come up short of the goal that every team should have - to win the Super Bowl. Aside from one season where our world beating defense decided to show up for a 4 game stretch out of 20 games. Thankfully those 4 games happened to be in the playoffs.

If you're not winning the Super Bowl, you need to at least improve the team.

We've gotten worse every season since 2005. Substantially. In 2006 when we won it all our 2003-2005 teams were superior, our D just decided to get off the plane. (It helped that Bigfoot was healthy)

Sorry...but I am not eating crow. I think Bill Polian has constructed a good team, organizationally was the envy for 14 years. But I will say this...times change, people change, game changes.It is hard to draft good players to fit your system and culture when you are consistently picking at the bottom. Don't understand why people can't see that. Now I will say this, all those who have been clamoring for this person to leave and that person to leave and get this high priced free agent and that high priced free agent, well....you got your wish. Hope it helps your fantasy football numbers. Money doesn't buy you championships....ask Dan Snyder.....champions are made. We have needed a running game since Edge left......the defensive philosophy has needed to change. That being said, this is the time now for some change. And I am sadden that a part of the championship group has been let go. So now that there are two positions open in the Colt organization, and since you and others out there seem to know what is best for and how better to spend Jim Irsay's money, get your resume's prepared and fill out those applications. Let us "Colt's Way" supporters see if you can put your money where your mouth is.

Perhaps you should apply, God knows we could use someone of your ability in the front office.

i have been a colts fan for a long time and i have seen what happens when the owner thinks he knows more than the football people. i would taay with a proven winner. hopefully irsay will hire another polian.

Everyone has to go sooner or later whether they step down or get fired. Did you expect him to stay forever because his teams won a lot of regular season games but then constantly fell short in the playoffs? I think Irsay realized that the team was on a downslide over the last few years and this one season was more than just an anomoly. Also, there seemed to be rumblings in the entire organization and Irsay wanted his team back. Marty Schottenheimer got canned after a 14-2 season with the Chargers.

He built the Buffalo team when there was no salary cap yet went 0-4 in SBs.

He built the Carolina team with instant splash but also sharp crash and prolonged losing years and with no titles.

He built the Indy team around one player with no plan for winning beyond the Manning formula. We've beat up on an expansion division for years....and while Manning's record may be stellar against these weak foes his winning percentage is just a shade over .500 vs. our old AFC East rivals. We're 9-10 in the postseason with plenty of one&dones and 1-1 in SBs. He has demonstrated poor cap management, been very cold to local Indy media, and contradicted himself more and more in recent times instead of simply owning his mistakes. His best years have passed him by, clearly.

I fail to see any real legacy left by Polian anywhere he's been. We could have done better over the years and I can only hope that if Manning returns we can capitalize on his remaining years as to not squander one of the best talents of our generation.

Besides, the Polian era is already a piece of Colt history. What's left to talk about? History doesn't lie. Looking forward to the years ahead. We need new blood that can get things done during these times in which the CBA has set business up for the next decade.

Spat in the eye of 19-0.

Superbowl debacle.

Timeout management.

2-14. Would have been 0-16 if the Titans didn't play more inept than we did. (Hasselbeck) And the Texans didn't have their top three players IR'd or gimped. (They'll be 1 and done)

Yes man.

Yes man.

Yes man.

52-85 as a head coach.

Caldwell.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot...s400/Blinky.jpg

Even he knows he stinks.

We'll see what happens within twenty four hours of the new GM being named.

Aside from his record, which is skewed by Wake Forest, you're offering nothing.

I would suspect he'd be gone after the new GM arrives also, even if it takes more than 24 hours, but that still does not support your opinion.

Aside from his record, which is skewed by Peyton Manning you're offering nothing.

I fixed that for you.

Half time adjustments?

Ability to make the right decisions when it comes to clock management means nothing?

Ability to realize that, hey, playing 7 yards off the receivers is stupid? Maybe I should tell the DC to mix it up?

Really?

Really?

REALLY?

The only impact he has on our team is when he makes a poor decision. We're lucky if he stays out of the way. That's not a person qualified to be an NFL coach.

Humor me. Name ONE coach in the NFL who is worse than Jim Caldwell.

Bonus points if you can name 3 in the past ten years. I'll give you, MAYBE, Norv Turner.

Bonus points 2: Name ONE team in the NFL who would even take Caldwell in to consideration for a coaching position outside of The Rooney Rule?

Fact bud

Hey Bud! How's it going?

If only you believed that yourself.

Some like to throw around the 'worst coach in the NFL' phrase. You just can't support it.

I'm not sayin' he's the best, or good, or anything, but the players apparently support him, other's were fired today and prior, and a case could be made that there are coaches out there that have done a much worse job that still have theirs.

All I'm sayin' is......that's his opinion. It's not to be taken as the gospel.

I know it's the opinion of many, but that still doesn't make it correct.

Hey Bud! How's it going?

If only you believed that yourself.

Some like to throw around the 'worst coach in the NFL' phrase. You just can't support it.

I'm not sayin' he's the best, or good, or anything, but the players apparently support him, other's were fired today and prior, and a case could be made that there are coaches out there that have done a much worse job that still have theirs.

All I'm sayin' is......that's his opinion. It's not to be taken as the gospel.

I know it's the opinion of many, but that still doesn't make it correct.

You think the players are going to say yeah Jim Caldwell stinks???

I fixed that for you.

Half time adjustments?

Ability to make the right decisions when it comes to clock management means nothing?

Ability to realize that, hey, playing 7 yards off the receivers is stupid? Maybe I should tell the DC to mix it up?

Really?

Really?

REALLY?

The only impact he has on our team is when he makes a poor decision. We're lucky if he stays out of the way. That's not a person qualified to be an NFL coach.

Humor me. Name ONE coach in the NFL who is worse than Jim Caldwell. Bonus points if you can name 3 in the past ten years. I'll give you, MAYBE, Norv Turner.

This is why you can't prove your OPINION is absolute.

Lovie Smith, Spagnoulo, Sporano, Norv Turner (as you mentioned), Marvin Lewis (not this year, but he's consistently been looked down upon as a head coach), Pat Shurmer, Gary Kubiak, Todd Bowles, Leslie Frazier, Rex Ryan, Andy Reid, Raheem Morris, Mike Shanahan.

These are all candidates who COULD be considered worse coaches than Caldwell.

Some have had success but could also be considered as riding the coat tails of a great player.

Some had success this year, but only after bringing in a difference making player, or coach.

Some were expected to do great things this year with what some of us believe to be a superior roster, and didn't suffer a season ending injury to their QB, and still stunk it up.

Some of these, and others not mentioned, make some of the same mistakes you attribute to Caldwell.

But we don't follow those teams. We concentrate on our team, so we don't exactly know what goes on elsewhere.

This is what I'm sayin'.

That, and we're not in the locker room, huddle, team meetings, etc. to know what he does do well.

All we know is that this team went 2-14, therefore, everyone stinks and must go.

Sorry I bruised your ago by suggesting that your opinion may not be the final word.

Lovie Smith, Spagnoulo, Sporano, Norv Turner (as you mentioned), Marvin Lewis (not this year, but he's consistently been looked down upon as a head coach), Pat Shurmer, Gary Kubiak, Todd Bowles, Leslie Frazier, Rex Ryan, Andy Reid, Raheem Morris, Mike Shanahan.

Some have had success but could also be considered as riding the coat tails of a great player.

Some had success this year, but only after bringing in a difference making player, or coach.

Some were expected to do great things this year with what some of us believe to be a superior roster, and didn't suffer a season ending injury to their QB, and still stunk it up.

Some of these, and others not mentioned, make some of the same mistakes you attribute to Caldwell.

But we don't follow those teams. We concentrate on our team, so we don't exactly know what goes on elsewhere.

This is what I'm sayin'.

That, and we're not in the locker room, huddle, team meetings, etc. to know what he does do well.

All we know is that this team went 2-14, therefore, everyone stinks and must go.

Sorry I bruised your ago by suggesting that your opinion may not be the final word.

Alllll of which likely could, many of which already have and could still, have positions at other coaching positions across the league.

Who would ever touch Caldwell?

Way to take a personal shot, btw. Good sign of losing an argument. In response I say sorry I don't have my blinders on and defend a member of the Colts' roster to the death regardless of whether or not they're a detriment to the team. Excuse me for wanting the team to improve.

Also no comment on Wake Forest skewing Caldwell's record as a head coach but somehow having the GOAT QB doesn't? He'd be on pace for a whopping six wins 42 losses in the NFL without him. Pretty impressive.

No, professionals wouldn't.

However, them not sayin' it doesn't mean they're thinking it either.

Let's not put words in other's mouths to fit our opinion.

I didn't say they thought he stunk. I just said do u think they would say it. Let's not put words in my mouth to fit your opinion.

This is what I'm sayin'.

Your list is funny. Caldwell is worse then all of those but maybe tied with 2 or 3.

I was at work and hear the Polians were fired. Why was Caldwell not fired as well? Are we really going to keep a coach that started 0-13? OR are we going to pull an ASU {arizona state univwersity} and wait until all the good coaching prospects are hired to start looking for our next head coach?

This is a little out of character for you - incredibly obnoxious, rude, and inciting. I'm a frequent defender of Polian, but don't feel the necessity to eat anything - thank you very much. To save you the effort of reading back, my most relevent comments on this thread were:

I wasn't referring to you, MAC. And if you'll note, I said I didn't read the thread. I didn't even know you were in this talk. Repeat - I didn't read the thread. The people I referred to are the flip-floppers. I don't know if you are or not.....but from what I've seen you're not. If someone was a Polian supporter, awesome. They ain't got time to support the owner's decision now though. Don't want to hear it.

Any doubt about who I address on here, directly, should be removed because I always quote folks or send them a pm. Chill. We're friends on here.

Your list is funny. Caldwell is worse then all of those but maybe tied with 2 or 3.

Hence why I said 3 coaches in the past 10 years. I struggle to think of any beyond that.

Norv Turner is close to Caldwell's level of ineptitude, that's for sure. Guys like Andy Reid and Rex Ryan, Lovie Smith though? REALLY?

Lovie was a legitmate QB away from beating us in the Super Bowl.

Rex Ryan is in the same boat with quite possibly the worst QB to take the field every Sunday. The past two seasons they could have gone to and possibly won the SB with those defenses if it weren't for Sanchez bringing suck to a whole new level.

Andy Reid has a long history of assembling strong, competitive teams nearly every season with the Eagles. This season his dream team sure fell apart, though.

Alllll of which likely could, many of which already have and could still, have positions at other coaching positions across the league.

Who would ever touch Caldwell?

Sorry I don't have my blinders on and defend a member of the Colts' roster to the death regardless of whether or not they're a detriment to the team. Excuse me for wanting the team to improve.

Way to take a personal shot, btw. Good sign of losing an argument.

Also no comment on Wake Forest skewing Caldwell's record as a head coach but somehow having the GOAT QB doesn't? He'd be on pace for a whopping six wins 42 losses in the NFL without him. Pretty impressive.

You don't understand.... You can make this argument about most coaches. It cuts both ways.

Personal shot? So, I'm supposed to just take your stuff?

Really?

Really?

REALLY?

Look, I'll say it again. I'm not sayin' Caldwell's the greatest, or the really good, or fair.

But I also have no evidence that say's he's the worst thing either.

I won't be disappointed or shocked if he's let go.

I won't be disappointed of shocked if he'd retained.

I'm going to trust Irsay on this.....I have no choice.

Hence why I said 3 coaches in the past 10 years. I struggle to think of any beyond that.

Norv Turner is close to Caldwell's level of ineptitude, that's for sure. Guys like Andy Reid and Rex Ryan, though? REALLY?

Lol I know I'm not sure why he put most of those people in the same discussion as Jim. Most of those were good OC or DC at one time.

You don't understand.... You can make this argument about most coaches. It cuts both ways.

Personal shot? So, I'm supposed to just take your stuff?

Really?

Really?

REALLY?

Look, I'll say it again. I'm not sayin' Caldwell's the greatest, or the really good, or fair.

But I also have no evidence that say's he's the worst thing either.

I won't be disappointed or shocked if he's let go.

I won't be disappointed of shocked if he'd retained.

I'm going to trust Irsay on this.....I have no choice.

Really really REALLY as in disbelief, not commenting on your ego/an attack on your person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wNVSMlly_Q&feature=related

Still, fair enough.

PS: The best part is :20 seconds in.

Also REALLY INFINITY!