Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Future of Caldwell and the Polians [Mega-merge]

1959Colts

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well time to break the bad news, and i didn't go thru all 12 pages before i wrote this so if i'm repeating this, sorry. now for the bad new- there will be no bill polian show today, sorry to break the bad news.

You correct however there will be the Colts season wrap up with Bob Lamey featuring Jim Irsay for the first couple of segments. 1070 just reported that.

I am so thankful that Jim Irsay made the right decision in choosing Peyton over Polian(s). Everyone who watches Colts games and followed all of the happenings these past few years (since Tony left), that there was a growing rift between Peyton and the Polians. I thank Bill for everything he's done for us, but running our team into the ground for the sake of setting his son up is where I draw the line (and apparently where Jim Irsay does too). We all knew that Bill didn't respect our fan-base anyway. Out with the old, in with the new!

What if...

I think Jim Caldwell isn't dumb and is aware of failing to do his job this season. If I were him I would announce my resignation myself not waiting for being fired.

So what if he announces his resignation tomorrow?

I think he has less time than that... he will be fired @ 5:00 EST if he doesn't resign by then.

I'm confident and optimistic that Jim Irsay will make a rational decision - he's been pretty solid since he assumed ownership of the club. He knows very well what a bad GM looks like (he just needs to look in the mirror), and he's learned the right way to run a ballclub by watching the wrong way up close and personal for way too long.

Still, this is flat out terrifying. Personally I hope he has a line (through associates and the league) on the perfect up and coming personel guy currently toiling behind the scenes with another team - because the fact is that any of the "big names" thrown around on this site are only known to us for the wrong reasons. If you resent Bill Polians cult of personality, you probably aren't going to enjoy the next egomaniac on the list either. And Polian has a dramatically more succesfull track record than they do.

But most of all, I have to say that I'll just fall off my chair laughing if Caldwell survives this. But I almost hope he doesn't just so the "anti-Caldwell" threads go away.

Wait...you actually want Caldwell to survive this?

I'm fine either way. He's not the most exiting coach in the world, but his team obviously respects him and plays hard for him. I've always maintained that none of us has enough information or knowledge to know for sure whether he is or isn't a good coach - but his team seems to think he his, and that counts for a lot. I just find the hunt for scapegoats distasteful. This season had precious little to do with Jim Caldwell.

I'm surprised that the Polians were fired. I would have to think (as GoColts8818 said) that Irsay decided that the problem was talent, not coaching. But it's OK - BP was going to retire at some point anyway. As much as I respect him and appreciate the astonishing run of success that he brought to the team, I'm open to the idea that he is getting old, has been slipping a little, and that Irsay isn't impressed enough with his son to move forward with him. Or perhaps they are a package deal, and we will never know which one was actually the target. Either way, I respect the fact that Irsay is a shrewd enough businessman and tough enough individual to make what I'm sure was a difficult decision. It would make sense that he would leave Caldwell in place since he is under contract, hire a new GM, and let the new guy interview Caldwell before moving on. Change can be good, but change for the sake of change alone (or to satisfy bloodthirsty fans) is dangerous.

Change can be good, but change for the sake of change alone (or to satisfy bloodthirsty fans) is dangerous.

Bingo. Change because you think that you have identified a better option can be good. Change just to placate the public sentiment that something needs to be changed is often self destructive.

What if Dungy is the new GM?

Ugh......didn't Dungy retire because he no longer wanted to devote his entire life to football? Higher callings and all that? That's all well and good and I applaud him for it, but it is not the mindset that I want for a GM.

polian did say that caldwell will not be replaced and if irsay doesnt feel the same polian will get axed along with caldwell.

Polians got axed today so hopefully Caldwell gets the same and we bring in some great offensive minded coach to coach up Luck and then we hire a great defensive coordinator like Steve Spagnoulo.

Caldwell is next....time to dial up Jeff Fisher or Bill Cowher for the coaching slot....Think of the team needs at this point....Reggie is not getting any younger

and neither is Dallas who has really starting to get hit by injury bug....still not sold on Garcon so who blocks for Peyton and who catches the ball if Reggie signs

elsewhere ?? Running back is no different....Addai...Brown...Carter...they are not the answer. So many questions on Defense to even list...softer schedule next year should help and we draft Luck to sit behind Peyton for 3 years who blocks, catches the ball or runs the ball next year ??

What if Dungy is the new GM?

I floated that theory earlier. I seem to remeber he was willing to listen to the Seahawks a couple of years ago I am sure he would listen to us if we call. I am not saying we will but I could see that.

The other way I see Caldwell lasts this is if the new GM isn't crazy about the choices out there and waits to make the coaching change next year, not unlike what the Browns did a couple of years ago.

Caldwell is next....time to dial up Jeff Fisher or Bill Cowher for the coaching slot....Think of the team needs at this point....Reggie is not getting any younger

and neither is Dallas who has really starting to get hit by injury bug....still not sold on Garcon so who blocks for Peyton and who catches the ball if Reggie signs

elsewhere ?? Running back is no different....Addai...Brown...Carter...they are not the answer. So many questions on Defense to even list...softer schedule next year should help and we draft Luck to sit behind Peyton for 3 years who blocks, catches the ball or runs the ball next year ??

I wouldn't call next year's schedule "soft"