Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Future of Caldwell and the Polians [Mega-merge]

1959Colts

I know he was talking about GMs and coaches but he said "When you have a chance to get a great one you do it because there aren't many great ones." Pretty good hint where they are going in the draft.

Also said he's more interested in long term greatness.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manning has always been close to Irsay, and we all know there was a growing divide between Polian and Manning. It really got bad this year as the season progressed and Bill made outright false statements about Manning's progress....Am I alone in the thought that Manning told Irsay that he would walk unless the Polians were gone?? He is a player, but also the face of the franchise and the NFL for a decade. He is also on the mend, and feels he has some good years left. Thoughts??

I thought the same thing....

You can forget any kind of trade of Peyton Manning...ever

Polian won't be "snapped up" unless he changes his management style and accepts a GM position with far less power than he had in Indy. What happened in Indy was a mistake and he should have never had the authority he had.

Totally agree with you!!

They better not wait a few weeks to start their coaching search, or they will end up getting the scraps of what the other teams didn't want. Horrible strategy.

Irsay gave himself and out in case someone comes available - I'm sure he wants to select a HC that will work with his new GM, but at the end of the day if there is a willing coach (e.g. Jeff Fisher) that is interested - he won't hesitate to make the move.

This is fantastic news for the football team and many prominent cheerleading/Polian - way type folks right here on this board now have to eat HUGE amounts of crow. I'm very much looking forward to what lies ahead for the team. This also opens the door for head coaching candidates that might not have wanted to come here. Nothing but good will come from this. Well done, Jim Irsay, on taking your team back.

I've not read any responses in this thread......but I'd hope that a number of the usual "Colts way" supporters can't possibly have much to say for themselves. The Polians ought to take them right along with them.

Sorry...but I am not eating crow. I think Bill Polian has constructed a good team, organizationally was the envy for 14 years. But I will say this...times change, people change, game changes.It is hard to draft good players to fit your system and culture when you are consistently picking at the bottom. Don't understand why people can't see that. Now I will say this, all those who have been clamoring for this person to leave and that person to leave and get this high priced free agent and that high priced free agent, well....you got your wish. Hope it helps your fantasy football numbers. Money doesn't buy you championships....ask Dan Snyder.....champions are made. We have needed a running game since Edge left......the defensive philosophy has needed to change. That being said, this is the time now for some change. And I am sadden that a part of the championship group has been let go. So now that there are two positions open in the Colt organization, and since you and others out there seem to know what is best for and how better to spend Jim Irsay's money, get your resume's prepared and fill out those applications. Let us "Colt's Way" supporters see if you can put your money where your mouth is.

Manning controls Irsay and wants Caldwell to stay-

I don't think the right word is 'control' because in the long run the owner of the team calls the shots. But I think Irsay has respect and gratitude for everything Peyton has done for his business. And he should.

Sorry...but I am not eating crow. I think Bill Polian has constructed a good team, organizationally was the envy for 14 years. But I will say this...times change, people change, game changes.It is hard to draft good players to fit your system and culture when you are consistently picking at the bottom. Don't understand why people can't see that. Now I will say this, all those who have been clamoring for this person to leave and that person to leave and get this high priced free agent and that high priced free agent, well....you got your wish. Hope it helps your fantasy football numbers. Money doesn't buy you championships....ask Dan Snyder.....champions are made. We have needed a running game since Edge left......the defensive philosophy has needed to change. That being said, this is the time now for some change. And I am sadden that a part of the championship group has been let go. So now that there are two positions open in the Colt organization, and since you and others out there seem to know what is best for and how better to spend Jim Irsay's money, get your resume's prepared and fill out those applications. Let us "Colt's Way" supporters see if you can put your money where your mouth is.

Bookmark this thread, buddy. I don't need a lesson from you. If team failings and deficiencies aren't evident enough for you now they never will be. Two kinds of people - those that get it and those that don't. You're in the later group. You're off base on at least half a dozen counts as far as my perspective is concerned, and if you spent any kind of time around here participating you'd know that. I've got better things to do than get into it any further with someone that doesn't know what they're talking about. Have a nice day.

Several times, in interviews, media have told Peyton that Polian said something and Peyton responded "that's news to me". Things like that don't ever happen. That is Peyton's very subtle way of saying "we don't see eye to eye". I definitely think there was a divide. You could sense it.

I truely doubt that Manning said anything to Irsay about making any decisions. Although, the Polians might have been so high on taking Luck that they never thought that Jim didn want to put Peyton in the position that Farve was in at the end of his career in Green bay. Every off season Farve had to answer questions about Rodger, and when Rodgers was going to take his job. There is nothing wrong with getting a QB to sit behind Peyton, I just dont think this was the year to do it. I believe the Polians and Irsay had a different direction they wanted to go with this number one pick and the future of the franchise. Now of course this all depends on Peyton and has health. Lets hope that doesnt come back to bite Jimmy.

well he did bring in good talent like sims,anderson, and brayton

You're giving Chris too much credit. Bill was pulling the strings around the organization, or at least he made it seem as though he was. He always referred to everything as his decision or what he was gonna do.

I have a feeling it was more along the lines of - Jim Irsay didn't feel confident in Chris Polian as his General Manager - his father didn't want to let his son leave on his own therefore he left as a package with him. Bills dream was to retire and pass that job along to his son - since he no longer had a reason to work towards that goal - he's going to retire.