Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Future of Caldwell and the Polians [Mega-merge]

1959Colts

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is fantastic news for the football team and many prominent cheerleading/Polian - way type folks right here on this board now have to eat HUGE amounts of crow. I'm very much looking forward to what lies ahead for the team. This also opens the door for head coaching candidates that might not have wanted to come here. Nothing but good will come from this. Well done, Jim Irsay, on taking your team back.

I've not read any responses in this thread......but I'd hope that a number of the usual "Colts way" supporters can't possibly have much to say for themselves. The Polians ought to take them right along with them.

This is a little out of character for you - incredibly obnoxious, rude, and inciting. I'm a frequent defender of Polian, but don't feel the necessity to eat anything - thank you very much. To save you the effort of reading back, my most relevent comments on this thread were:

I'm confident and optimistic that Jim Irsay will make a rational decision - he's been pretty solid since he assumed ownership of the club. He knows very well what a bad GM looks like (he just needs to look in the mirror), and he's learned the right way to run a ballclub by watching the wrong way up close and personal for way too long.

Still, this is flat out terrifying. Personally I hope he has a line (through associates and the league) on the perfect up and coming personel guy currently toiling behind the scenes with another team - because the fact is that any of the "big names" thrown around on this site are only known to us for the wrong reasons. If you resent Bill Polians cult of personality, you probably aren't going to enjoy the next egomaniac on the list either. And Polian has a dramatically more succesfull track record than they do.

But most of all, I have to say that I'll just fall off my chair laughing if Caldwell survives this. But I almost hope he doesn't just so the "anti-Caldwell" threads go away.

And

I'm fine either way. He's not the most exiting coach in the world, but his team obviously respects him and plays hard for him. I've always maintained that none of us has enough information or knowledge to know for sure whether he is or isn't a good coach - but his team seems to think he his, and that counts for a lot. I just find the hunt for scapegoats distasteful. This season had precious little to do with Jim Caldwell.

I'm surprised that the Polians were fired. I would have to think (as GoColts8818 said) that Irsay decided that the problem was talent, not coaching. But it's OK - BP was going to retire at some point anyway. As much as I respect him and appreciate the astonishing run of success that he brought to the team, I'm open to the idea that he is getting old, has been slipping a little, and that Irsay isn't impressed enough with his son to move forward with him. Or perhaps they are a package deal, and we will never know which one was actually the target. Either way, I respect the fact that Irsay is a shrewd enough businessman and tough enough individual to make what I'm sure was a difficult decision. It would make sense that he would leave Caldwell in place since he is under contract, hire a new GM, and let the new guy interview Caldwell before moving on. Change can be good, but change for the sake of change alone (or to satisfy bloodthirsty fans) is dangerous.

Hope that satisfied your needs. It's about all you are going to get.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Caldwell still under evaluation!

He also said it's up in part to the new GM whenever one is instated.

Considering Caldwell would have never been a head coach to begin with under the other 31 GM's in the league you can rest easy. Caldwell = TOAST as soon as our new GM is named.

He also said it's up in part to the new GM whenever one is instated.

Considering Caldwell would have never been a head coach to begin with under the other 31 GM's in the league you can rest assured. Caldwell = TOAST.

It might happen too late to get anyone decent :(

For those who can't hear, summary:

Irsay said him and BP go back 30 years, was a hard decision. Said it was especially hard with respect to Bill. It will take multiple weeks to find a new GM. New GM will be here when Irsay makes a decision on Caldwell. Caldwell's status is still under evaluation.

Nobody could have predicted this was a 2 win team after finishing 10-6 and making the playoffs?

Oooooh yes we could Mr. Irsay. Without captain carry. :D Still, props for doing the right thing and giving us a great chance at a future whether or not we have #18. If we don't have him the next few years will be rocky but at least there is a wing and a prayer for good times on the horizon.

Finding a good GM is harder than finding a good HC. Irsay says a "number of weeks". Caldwell is being spared until the new GM comes in. Then I think he gets the axe. These boards should be fun for a while.

They better not wait a few weeks to start their coaching search, or they will end up getting the scraps of what the other teams didn't want. Horrible strategy.

Manning has always been close to Irsay, and we all know there was a growing divide between Polian and Manning. It really got bad this year as the season progressed and Bill made outright false statements about Manning's progress....Am I alone in the thought that Manning told Irsay that he would walk unless the Polians were gone?? He is a player, but also the face of the franchise and the NFL for a decade. He is also on the mend, and feels he has some good years left. Thoughts??