Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Future of Caldwell and the Polians [Mega-merge]

1959Colts

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're giving Chris too much credit. Bill was pulling the strings around the organization, or at least he made it seem as though he was. He always referred to everything as his decision or what he was gonna do.

bill never went after FAs

10+ seasons of the worst special teams in the league.

10+ seasons of among the worst defenses in the league. Scoring defense? Yeah amazing when the other team eats up all the game clock and marches up and down the field at leisure.

A formerly great offense 2001-2005. Since then we've lost Tarik Glenn, Marvin, Edge, a host of GOOD O-linemen and regressed every year since. We let guys go like Jake Scott and keep world beaters like Ryan Diem.

During Manning's tenure, Polian provided him with a great offense to work with for five seasons and a craptastic team otherwise. Now the offense sucks as much as the rest of the team because the entire O-line gets pushed around like a bunch of grade school kids. We have some decent receivers, but they have zero time to get open.

That's not building a successful franchise. That's riding the coattails of a great player or two and watching them drag around the dead weight for the ride. Every year since 2005, Polian has piled more crap on top of them to carry. (Guys like Manning, Freeney, Mathis)

Good riddance Bill.

Never saw this coming! Caldwell, yes. Polian no. Polian will be snapped up somewhere very fast. Huge hole to fill now. Hope we don't go back to pre-Polian era of subpar football.

If Im Jim Caldwell I am looking for work,that did not sound good for JC. I got from Jim Irsay I don't have time for you just yet. New GM will either bring his own guy or be GM/COACH. I would be willing to bet not more than 1 or 2 coaches survive this,if that.

I believe in the long run Bill was a good GM, but he should have got his son a job elsewhere. I hope now we can get some big guys on both our D line and offense and still keep some speed guys as well. Just hope we get some good replacements for those that will be leaving and hope that Peyton returns and finishes is career here in Indy. I am sure he can add to his many records and hopefuly while here with the Colts.

Manning has always been close to Irsay, and we all know there was a growing divide between Polian and Manning. It really got bad this year as the season progressed and Bill made outright false statements about Manning's progress....Am I alone in the thought that Manning told Irsay that he would walk unless the Polians were gone?? He is a player, but also the face of the franchise and the NFL for a decade. He is also on the mend, and feels he has some good years left. Thoughts??

Separate issues.

What's your source for the "growing divide between Polian and Manning"?

Read down the thread....Polian repeatedly put words into Manning's mouth...Archie even got into the mix. If you are local to Indy you know this. It has been all over the local radio for months

Manning has always been close to Irsay, and we all know there was a growing divide between Polian and Manning. It really got bad this year as the season progressed and Bill made outright false statements about Manning's progress....Am I alone in the thought that Manning told Irsay that he would walk unless the Polians were gone?? He is a player, but also the face of the franchise and the NFL for a decade. He is also on the mend, and feels he has some good years left. Thoughts??

I don't want to be first to bring this up any chance we deal Manning and have a few 1 st round options.

I truely doubt that Manning said anything to Irsay about making any decisions. Although, the Polians might have been so high on taking Luck that they never thought that Jim didn want to put Peyton in the position that Farve was in at the end of his career in Green bay. Every off season Farve had to answer questions about Rodger, and when Rodgers was going to take his job. There is nothing wrong with getting a QB to sit behind Peyton, I just dont think this was the year to do it. I believe the Polians and Irsay had a different direction they wanted to go with this number one pick and the future of the franchise. Now of course this all depends on Peyton and has health. Lets hope that doesnt come back to bite Jimmy.

Jim mentioned he would draft a qb after the Thursday night game, then mentioned keeping Manning is he was healthy. All signs point to Luck-Mann.

Exactly Manning or Polian, Bill wanted to draft Luck and trade manning, neither is going to happen now. That pick is going for a boatload of picks back you can bet your bottom dollar on that now. Redskins are front runners obviously but brownies are starting to pop into view with Mccoy's issues.

Never saw this coming! Caldwell, yes. Polian no. Polian will be snapped up somewhere very fast. Huge hole to fill now. Hope we don't go back to pre-Polian era of subpar football.

This is a step forward, not back.

We've been over this and over this many times here. Newer era fans look at the past 10-14 years, only, for the most part. Per his interview, Irsay is looking at more than just the next season or two. He's looking at the long haul which will span a much larger time frame than any player will ever have during a career. He's looking at building legacy and committment to the city/state for years to come. That is the correct thing to do as an owner and not everyone has the stomach for it. Under Polian the Colts had a nice run but it could have been better than beating up on a weak expansion division and falling short in the postseason plus no back up plan to win beyond the Manning formula. Proof is on the field and in history, can't hide or deny it. Polian's best times are well behind him and time to move on is past due.

That pick is going for a boatload of picks back you can bet your bottom dollar on that now.

I'll bet more than the bottom dollar that you are DEAD wrong. Luck is coming here. get used to it. I will be sure to bump this thread in April and rub it in your face. Stop talking about trading the picks. DEFINITELY NOT HAPPENING.

thanks for coming out.

Exactly Manning or Polian, Bill wanted to draft Luck and trade manning, neither is going to happen now. That pick is going for a boatload of picks back you can bet your bottom dollar on that now. Redskins are front runners obviously but brownies are starting to pop into view with Mccoy's issues.

Irsay already said he'd draft another franchise qb if he was available with the 1st pick, after Thursday Night Football

I'll bet more than the bottom dollar that you are DEAD wrong. Luck is coming here. get used to it. I will be sure to bump this thread in April and rub it in your face. Stop talking about trading the picks. DEFINITELY NOT HAPPENING.

thanks for coming out.

Agree. Luck is coming here. With Irsay's statements in the presser it seems more likely to me that Manning might be done. Irsay talked about the continued risk of taking a hit even when Manning would take the field again. Peyton's future still VERY uncertain right now.

I think Polian was fired because of the amount of control he wants over coaches.

One of the Colts blogs just did a thing over this. Apparently, Polian wanted Saban and not Dungy. Irsay said Dungy was his guy and forced them to work it out. He's also managed to hire a few former Bills players. While we'll never know the totality of it, there is at least some basis. There's just not enough info for me to reach that conclusion.

Here's the article: http://www.stampedeb...might-want-norv

I do not support what you say we all know.

I completely reject that manning told Irsay any such thing

Phil you are 100% wrong if it isnt more obvious now you are either in denial or a troll seriously. Manning is staying and will be for a loing time sorry Pats fan.

He is in denial of what? Irsay didn't sound too positive when talking about Manning returning. I think YOU are in denial.

Phil you are 100% wrong if it isnt more obvious now you are either in denial or a troll seriously. Manning is staying and will be for a loing time sorry Pats fan.

Denial? Pats fan?

I guess Irsay's scout at the Bowl tonight is just there for the hot dogs. LOL at you. Manning may be staying, but I CANT WAIT to see you lose your mind and destroy property when Andrew goes to us 1st overall. Oh, and I will bump this thread and laugh, and laugh........

cant wait to rub it in your face. gonna be sweet. you are gonna be so mad. hahahah

Denial? Pats fan?

I guess Irsay's scout at the Bowl tonight is just there for the hot dogs. LOL at you. Manning may be staying, but I CANT WAIT to see you lose your mind and destroy property when Andrew goes to us 1st overall. Oh, and I will bump this thread and laugh, and laugh........

cant wait to rub it in your face. gonna be sweet. you are gonna be so mad. hahahah

Hot dogs are pretty good!

Jim mentioned he would draft a qb after the Thursday night game, then mentioned keeping Manning is he was healthy. All signs point to Luck-Mann.

If they know how healthy Peyton is before the draft, I would put my money on them trading the draft pick or a pick and trade. I really believe that Irsay understands that the Colts are in need of as many good quality players they can get. Not just one. IMHO

He is in denial of what? Irsay didn't sound too positive when talking about Manning returning. I think YOU are in denial.

Irsay keeps useing key buz words like rebuilding, not a quick fix but building for the long haul, We have real sallary cap issues, "when you have a chance to go get a great one you do it because great ones don't come around very often." and maybe the most telling, an end of an era. I can easily see why people are starting to wonder if Irsay is really rethinking what to do with Manning.

your like the 5th person to say that and I still call ^cowpatties^. Jeff Fisher wants to win...... We are the team who has the best chance to win now.

If we bring everyone back. Irsay's quotes don't lead me to think they are going to bring everyone back. Although he did say they want to keep some of their high preforming vets he has also said they are in a rebuilding mood.

If we bring everyone back. Irsay's quotes don't lead me to think they are going to bring everyone back. Although he did say they want to keep some of their high preforming vets he has also said they are in a rebuilding mood.

I think rebuilding mode is on the personnel side not the players side. I think we can EASILY afford to let Wayne go. Mathis we should re-sign and just draft some decent DB's and we'd have a real shot with Manning.

I think rebuilding mode is on the personnel side not the players side. I think we can EASILY afford to let Wayne go. Mathis we should re-sign and just draft some decent DB's and we'd have a real shot with Manning.

What about Garcon, Saturday, Diem, and Tamme? They are all free agents too. The Colts also need to make calls on guys like Buillitt, Clark and Brackett and Freeney's contract and there is that Peyton Manning guy.

He was quick to point out and say he would love to win next year but that they have reached a point for major turnover of this team because he said unlike 1998 when they went 3-13 there isn't the talent on this roster to win games. I think it's pretty clear he means rebuilding in terms of the players as well as the front office. If you don't think you need to make changes with your players then you don't fire the GM you fire the head coach like we did when we fired Jim Mora.

I know thisa has already been posted but we need to emphasize that it wasn't Bill who they really wanted to be rid of.

http://twitter.com/#...964234315804673

To me the key is that Irsay referred to "rebuilding" mode. If you hand responsiblity for such a venture to a man in his late 60s who has already started to reduce his daily responsibilities, what happens in 3 years? The bottom line is that Irsay apparently no longer felt comfortable with the thought of Jr being the long-term GM. Whether or not Sr was to stay on in an advisory role to help with the new GM is purely secondary. At least all those who criticized Polian for how he handled the Mora situation, while admiring Mora for standing up for Fangio, should extend Polian the same courtesy now.

I think Polian was fired because of the amount of control he wants over coaches.

This goes hand in hand with all those who considered Caldwell a puppet.

So if Caldwell was just a puppet - hired purely because he wasn't a threat to Polian - how do you explain the fact that Polian is gone and Caldwell is still here?