Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Future of Caldwell and the Polians [Mega-merge]

1959Colts

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful what you wish for. Your probably going to see a complete cleaning plus players and we are going to have some rough years. But if it is done right it could be fun seeing a new team develope.Peyton will probably retire or be gone and the luck era is going to start. I dont think this is anything to cheer about

Chris..Jeff Fisher wont come here if Manning is leaving or retiring

There is absoluetly NO CHANCE of that...

I wonder if Irsay is going to go after Bill Cowher. He did say that he wanted to go to a team that has an established franchise QB and he would like to pick his own GM or something of that nature. I'm excited to see change in Indianapolis. Honestly I did not see this coming.

I know this is moving parts and this could very well be changed but Kravitz is tweeting that he has confirmed: Polians gone and no decision yet on Jim Caldwell.

It could be Irsay looked at the team and said look the problem is a lack of talent and Don Shula could have coached this team and they wouldn't have done much better. With that said if we have a new GM even if it's not today the clock is ticking on Caldwell. New GMs tend to want their own guys even if they don't get them right away.

Or that Irsay attributed the problems to Polian's oversight on all aspects of the team, instead of letting people do their jobs.

If continuity is still important, is Caldwell now safe as a result?

Is Coyer coming back now? (just kidding there)

Tom Moore? (just hopeful, but kidding)

I'm guessing Christensen will be gone (based on nothing), and that Tressel or Reich(?) may replace him.(not kidding)

Plus Fisher KNOWS our division. He's only been out of football a year. Plus he's the exact opposite of what Colt teams have been for so long. He's a risk taker and an aggressive coach. I like it.

And he (gasp!) knows how to make halftime and in-game adjustments.

This may mean that Peyton won't be here. IMO

Seeing as how Irsay said he wants Peyton to retire a Colt, and play out his contract, and Manning himself has stated he wants to get healthy and play, I doubt that is the case.

Nailed it

We don't agree often, but you could very well be right here. It may or may not be Fisher, exactly, but it could have been a personnel decision that the Polians wanted no part of.

What scares me is if Irsay is actually listening to his fans instead of thinking for himself. We don't know jack about running a football team. If it's his own prerogative, then fine. :whatever:

It could be Irsay looked at the team and said look the problem is a lack of talent and Don Shula could have coached this team and they wouldn't have done much better.

Here's the question, though, and maybe this is not a good place for it. Is the problem really a lack of talent or that the talent is not being developed adequately by the coaching staff? I have always said that it takes about three years before you can make a good assessment of a new head coach. Well, this was Caldwell's third season as head coach. Are we seeing the cumulative effect of three years' worth of inability to develop rookie talent to reach their potential, or are we seeing the cumulative effect of three years' worth of poor drafting and lack of potential to develop? I don't know the answer, but it looks like Irsay thinks that lack of talent is at least part of the problem.

I don't really see how this means Peyton is gone. I think Irsay is much more loyal to Manning than he is to Polian.

I thank Bill Polian for the things he did for this franchise. This season has shown that the team has multiple holes - many are long standing problems that the front office failed to fix. I'm just guessing, but I think Chris pretty much foobared the organization while Bill had hoped to be semi-retired. None the less, Bill was his enabler. Clearly there is a reason Tom Moore, Howard Mudd, and so many scouts have parted ways with the organization. I believe this will all be for the better.

We're going to see way more excitement in the next several days than we had the entire (lost) season.

Another thought per above. Perhaps Jim Irsay wanted to can Chris, but Bill either wouldn't stand for it or didn't want to assume all the responsibilities of the job (again).

Edited by Turftoe

Unless I missed something and that is very easy to have happened on a day like this I wouldn't say Bill Polian being fired had anything to do with Peyton. If it did I think it would have been more of a disagreement between Irsay and Polian in the direction to go in regards to Peyton. Peyton just doesn't strike me as the kind of person to go in and say I want this guy fired. Listen to him talk to the media yesterday, he understands he's a player.

Who knows, we could hire a new guy who comes in and says okay we are going to start over and decide to release Peyton Manning and go forward with Luck. I don't know if I buy that theory because Jim Irsay has been so admitment that we are keeping Peyton next year if he's healthy.

This changes everything for this off-season. Anything can happen now.

i just found this quote on PFT from irsay-

My deepest thanks and appreciation to Bill and his son for depending on basically one player for the better part of the last decade. Now its time to wipe the slate clean and bring in a “new set of eyes’ that can see past a single position on a football team and demonstrate the ability to do more than stake their entire reputation and the fate of an entire NFL team on only QuarterBack…

I was thinking similar things. There is a masochistic side of me (the side that would cut off my nose just to spite my face) that has wanted some of you guys to get exactly what you have been asking for over the past few years. People seem to be somewhat blinded by the frustration of being on the precipice for so many years without being able to get over the summit. I understand the frustration, but at the same time I remember what the bad years were like. Polian has been fired before for not being able to get teams over that summit. Buffalo has been floundering around in futility for the past 15 years since they fired Polian. Carolina is just now starting to look like they may be righting the ship. I just don't see why people think that Indy is going to be different and firing Polian is going to be the magic fix all. I hope you guys are right.

Well said.

Chris..Jeff Fisher wont come here if Manning is leaving or retiring

There is absoluetly NO CHANCE of that...

Agreed. Besides, Irsay is on record saying that he wants Manning to play and finish out his contract here. Seeing as how he just proved he is in control, I expect him to push for Manning's return, while also adding Luck (if we don't trade down).

As a frequent and longtime Polian critic, I am happy to see the end of this era. The Polians finally got to see the shoe on the other foot - they ran roughshod over people in the organization and thought they were immune to accountability and now they are finally held accountable for their failures. As a Colts fan for over forty years I have seen many changes with the organization and the team has managed to continue forward and I have no doubt that will be the case now.

It is a great day in Colts Nation.

I am real concerned. Bill Polian might be difficult but he is very good at what he does. Talent evaluators don't grow on trees. I hope we can get someone with a good track record of drafting. Otherwise, it is back to the bad Colts.

Oh, I think we will be alright. The Colts were never just about Bill Polian and we were good prior to the Polian regime and I believe we will return to glory post Polian.

I find one thing odd.

If you were Irsay, and had these discussions over a dinner meeting, would you fire the Polian's in front of Caldwell without any consequences to Caldwell? I'm thinking not.

It could be that Caldwell's departure is just a timing issue, or perhaps he's taking a different position.

Whether Caldwell's taking another position with the organization, or will simply be released by the new GM, I don't know, but, to me, it does appear that Caldwell will not the the HC next year.....If, in fact, the firing of Polian took place at that dinner. Or, professionalism isn't practiced.

I wonder if Irsay is going to go after Bill Cowher. He did say that he wanted to go to a team that has an established franchise QB and he would like to pick his own GM or something of that nature. I'm excited to see change in Indianapolis. Honestly I did not see this coming.

So Polian's supposed control of the coaching staff is a problem, but Cowher wanting to "pick his own GM" is just fine?

I detest Cowher, and I don't want any coach who demands full control of football operations.

I find one thing odd.

If you were Irsay, and had these discussions over a dinner meeting, would you fire the Polian's in front of Caldwell without any consequences to Caldwell? I'm thinking not.

It could be that Caldwell's departure is just a timing issue, or perhaps he's taking a different position.

Whether Caldwell's taking another position with the organization, or will simply be released by the new GM, I don't know, but, to me, it does appear that Caldwell will not the the HC next year.....If, in fact, the firing of Polian took place at that dinner. Or, professionalism isn't practiced.

It could be that Irsay knows who he wants the new GM to be and is going to let the new GM make the call on Caldwell or maybe they are hanging on to Caldwell till they know for sure they can get the guy they want. The hot name seems to be Fisher. The Rams also want Fisher if Fisher goes to the Rams and the Colts aren't crazy about another coach maybe they hang on to Caldwell and dump him at the end of the year and get heir guy next off-season. Not unlike what the Browns did.