Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cribbs and that play

ukcolt12

We went three and out, looked nervous.  But we stop the Pats and make them punt, then Cribbs does that.

That play by absolutely destroyed us.  WHY OH WHY!  Still having nightmares about it.

Just feel that destroyed us mentally.  I know I felt immediately that "its going to be one of those days" again.

Gutted is not the word, from a very tired colts fan

That play was horrible and surely put us behind 7-0 but it didnt have much affect the entire game - we stunk it up in all areas.... another game where we did not come to compete.

TY just 1 catch, Nicks just 1 catch, Reggie 0 catches, Moncrief 0 catches, Doyle 0 catches, yet they kept bombing away early ... Boom was going at 5 yards per carry but we kept going 3 and out ... horrible play calling and it didnt help that Luck was off all night long - 12 of 33 with 3 ints ... suck for luck didnt pan out here did it?

Total domination - pathetic showing in a conference championship game.

You know it's interesting i didn't feel nervous until we started believing we are the same team as the last game earlier in the year. Cribbs needs to be gone, he's proving to be more of a liability than a home run threat.

Pats cheat all the time that is nothing new and they will get away with it too why because that piece of crap commissioner we have will turn a blind eye to it because its the pats does the same thing for the steelers.

I've been saying it for a long time Cribbs contributes nothing to our team. Dumping Whalen for him was the worst mistake of the season. [/quote

Both equally contribute nothing if that's the case

Whalen doesn't muff as many punts. . . Whalen fair catches when he needs to and takes the knee when he needs to.  

And Whalen can play in the slot in a pinch.  

I only remember Whalen turning the ball over 1 time on a punt.  Cribbs has turned the ball over multiple times and has not taken one the distance.

Josh Cribbs is more of a liability than an asset. 

Sorry man, but you have to go. 

Could that be because he came off the street and is rusty of has he always had these issues?

All I know about him is the highlight reel material that we've all seen. I never followed him closely 

Could that be because he came off the street and is rusty of has he always had these issues?

All I know about him is the highlight reel material that we've all seen. I never followed him closely 

One would think he's had plenty of games with us to knock any rust off. 

This is pure conjecture on my part, but I think since Cribbs was wearing a clear visor (for some reason) and it was raining, the rain impaired his vision on the muffed catch. I'm not excusing it at all, but you would think he would've known better since the ball literally hit him in the helmet. 

Josh Cribbs is more of a liability than an asset. 

Sorry man, but you have to go.

I've said the same thing too. He takes out ball from 8 yards deep and gets to the 20 so his return average looks good. But all he accomplished was a chance for a fumble, penalty or injury. Waste of a roster spot.

some players are saying it was the cribbs play that did them in. some did not like him coming aboard

If true, those players are weak. Russell Wilson throws four picks, Kearse fumbled a kickoff and Seatlle kept fighting. There are countless other examples of teams bouncing back after early turnovers. That's a nonsense excuse

We went three and out, looked nervous.  But we stop the Pats and make them punt, then Cribbs does that.

That play by absolutely destroyed us.  WHY OH WHY!  Still having nightmares about it.

Just feel that destroyed us mentally.  I know I felt immediately that "its going to be one of those days" again.

Yep, Cribbs is a screw up.  I was saying after that play and the Pats TD, we are in for a long night!  I knew we were gonna get pounded.

Personally, i truly believe that turnover kinda did have a mental impact on the team. After making them go 4 and out and to end up having get the ball back kinda demoralized em i think. i know it demoralized me. Second week in a row Cribbs made a bone head move.

Just like Denver in the SB last year, and the playoff game against the Pats last year (Luck threw a pick6 on his first attempt.  1 huge mistake in the beginning removes all hype from a team and gives it to the other side.  All this talk about deflating footballs, that turnover deflated our team!

It did set the tone for the game. Put yourself in our defense's shoes. Your defense forced the Pats into a 3-and-out. Now your return man fumbles it to the Pats. The New England crowd is going wild. The Pats capitalize going 7-0 early in the 1st Q. Now you're feeling dejected. What's the point of playing defense if your return man can't call a simple fair catch?

Get over it.

When you lose 45-7 it's never about one play.

And if we were "destroyed" over one play,   then we're not a very good team at all.

Seriously....   don't lose a moment's sleep over it....   not when we lost as badly as we did.

We have far more serious issues than a fumbled punt.

If it makes you feel any better I would expect that Cribbs would not be brought back....

There are two plays that sealed our fate in this game. On the first PATS drive, they go 3 and out, which in my view was huge for the Colts. Then Cribbs muffed the punt and gave the PATS a short field to put up a quick TD.  The other play, was the miss on the 51 Yd. FG. That gave the PATS a short field (mid field) and they drove to puts us down 14-0.  Pagano should have nevered tried to go for the FG, when it was  raining and we were kicking into the wind. PATS exploited both mistakes and that gave them the momentum and rattled the Colts psyche. We did respond with a nice drive that we converted into a TD and I thought that might calm our nerves. PATS end half with a FG and we are down 17-7 with us kicking to them to start the 3rd qtr. That opening drive in the 3rd quarter just killed the colts since it put them down 24-7.  PATS totally dominated balance of the game and Luck put up a terrible 2nd half.

Perhaps the game might have been different if Cribbs did not fumble and if Pagano did the smart thing and punted the ball. 

Cribbs should be history.  Even though the final score would suggest it would not matter but I sure would like to have seen what would have happened if he had not fumble that punt.  Indy will never forgive him for that and unfortunately that will be his legacy.  Almost as bad as the Hank Baskett fiasco.  Baskett's is worse though as it was the Super Bowl, and surely that one play may have cost us the Super Bowl.

Get over it.

When you lose 45-7 it's never about one play.

And if we were "destroyed" over one play,   then we're not a very good team at all.

Seriously....   don't lose a moment's sleep over it....   not when we lost as badly as we did.

We have far more serious issues than a fumbled punt.

If it makes you feel any better I would expect that Cribbs would not be brought back....

I have, obviously at the time of writing I just couldn't get out of my head

I maintain that it did seriously affect our confidence, young team and all.

It wasn't why we lost, did it set the tone for the game - yes absolutely

Anyway what's done is done was a very enjoyable season overall 

There are two plays that sealed our fate in this game. On the first PATS drive, they go 3 and out, which in my view was huge for the Colts. Then Cribbs muffed the punt and gave the PATS a short field to put up a quick TD.  The other play, was the miss on the 51 Yd. FG. That gave the PATS a short field (mid field) and they drove to puts us down 14-0.  Pagano should have nevered tried to go for the FG, when it was  raining and we were kicking into the wind. PATS exploited both mistakes and that gave them the momentum and rattled the Colts psyche. We did respond with a nice drive that we converted into a TD and I thought that might calm our nerves. PATS end half with a FG and we are down 17-7 with us kicking to them to start the 3rd qtr. That opening drive in the 3rd quarter just killed the colts since it put them down 24-7.  PATS totally dominated balance of the game and Luck put up a terrible 2nd half.

Perhaps the game might have been different if Cribbs did not fumble and if Pagano did the smart thing and punted the ball. 

If he had made the FG then it would not have been a bad call.  I thought he did have enough distance, just missed it right and badly.  Vinny did show to have good leg strength during the year and supposed to know how to deal with NE weather conditions, remember his kick in the snow, but for some reason he missed 2 FG's in 3 playoff games and missed only 1 in 16 regular season games, go figure.

Pats cheat all the time that is nothing new and they will get away with it too why because that piece of crap commissioner we have will turn a blind eye to it because its the pats does the same thing for the steelers.

Now we may know why the Patriots played a bit angry later in the game - obviously trying to punish the Colts.  Explains BB keeping his starters in and grinding.  He was mad.

Does anyone have the game DVR'd? on that play, I thought I saw him wearing a clear visor when the ball bounced off his face, and the next time I saw him, it was gone. Maybe he was dumb enough to try and look up in the air through a rain soaked visor and hope to have good depth perception? 

Yep, Cribbs is a screw up.  I was saying after that play and the Pats TD, we are in for a long night!  I knew we were gonna get pounded.

For me when I saw the great hit on brady and they called the penalty I knew the brady rule was in effect and the game was over and turned it off, it was over and done right there...

I have, obviously at the time of writing I just couldn't get out of my head

I maintain that it did seriously affect our confidence, young team and all.

It wasn't why we lost, did it set the tone for the game - yes absolutely

Anyway what's done is done was a very enjoyable season overall 

Thanks.    I was a bit abrupt with you.    My bad.    I pushed it a bit and went too far.

Glad you took it well.     Appreciate that.      :thmup: