Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bjoern Werner

12isthenew18

Improving in his 2nd season. About 37 tackles and 4 sacks so far. I estimate him to finish out at about 45 tackles and 5-6 sacks this year...next year probably 55 tackles and 8 sacks. Very Ahmad Brooks-like, just not Aldon Smith-like.

I like him as a run stuffer but not pass rushing. Plus rhodes was a draft crush and we had a shot 

I'm starting to get tired of how unproductive he has been. He has given us no pass rush recently. In the draft Xavier Rhodes my dream pick was there and we took Werner and now Rhodes looks like a top ten corner. Will Bjoern ever work as a 4-3 in a 3-4?

I liked Rhodes too, as well as Trufant, but we'd probably be way better off if we had taken Travis Fredrick, then traded up for Warford or Le'Veon Bell, and signed Dumervil in FA.

Well its a good thing he was drafted as a SAM backer then wasnt it?

Everything I read from Pagano and Grigson said that Werner was drafted to play RushLB.  Pagano even said they weren't even going to have Werner learn the Sam position his rookie year, but the injury to Sidbury forced their hand.  

I do think it's unfair to say Werner has provided no pass rush.  That's not true.  He's gotten pressure, and has has been very close to several additional sacks.  Yes, close does not equal a sack, but it does equal pressure, which can force a poor throw.

I do think he's improved, I mean he's pretty good against the run. So yeah, I think he will be a solid SAM, but I don't ever see him as our RUSH OLB. He's going to need some beast like Mathis on the other side of him to handle that duty.

He's also pretty good in coverage and in space, even though he's not the fastest guy. I think he's done a good job setting the edge and containing the run, and lately has been getting better at disengaging and making stops in the run game. He's a pretty good Sam. He just isn't the pass rusher we hoped.

I liked Rhodes too, as well as Trufant, but we'd probably be way better off if we had taken Travis Fredrick, then traded up for Warford or Le'Veon Bell, and signed Dumervil in FA.

Fredrick was taken before we picked wasn't he??

Never mind he wasn't just remembered everyone saying they reached on him

Hindsight is always 20/20.  Werner has been much better this year compared to last year.  I'd like to see more, but given that he played 4-3 DE in college (I believe) and now he's playing 3-4 OLB, I'm going to judge him based on how he does next year.

I agree, I think one more year should show us what we ultimately got.

I don't think Werner is a bust, he looks like he is going to be a average (nothing special) player.  Hopefully he continues to get better and makes it to "above average"(or better).

That being said I really did not like the Werner pick, and was a proponent of trading down, even before the draft.  Especially, after seeing what Minnesota gave NE for the 29th overall pick.  IMO given our pick (#24), its location which would have given minnesota 3 pick in a row, and the players MINN coveted we could have easuly gotten that same deal they gave NE.

So for our 1st (#24) we would have gotten their 2nd (#52), 3rd (#83), 4th (#102), & 7th (#229) ... NE got LB Jamie Collins with the #52 pick; not saying we would have chosen him, but definitely food for thought.

No, I just looked. Fredrick was taken 31. If I remember right the Cowboys traded down, then everyone thought they were crazy for drafting him LOL.

they did lol I wish we had him and warford but no one knew Fredrick would be this good I kept saying I wanted to trade down for warford before the draft he is good

I hate to default into comparing white players to other white players, but I think Werner can be a lot like the Patriots' Ninkovich. Not flashy, but does everything well and can make some key plays at times. if Werner can play at that level for many years on the defense, then he's worth the low round 1 pick the colts gave .

I said last year that I didn't think that he was athletic or quick enough to be a flashy pass rusher...and that SAM might be his best fit.

I hate to default into comparing white players to other white players, but I think Werner can be a lot like the Patriots' Ninkovich. Not flashy, but does everything well and can make some key plays at times. if Werner can play at that level for many years on the defense, then he's worth the low round 1 pick the colts gave .

I said last year that I didn't think that he was athletic or quick enough to be a flashy pass rusher...and that SAM might be his best fit.

Hopefully he can upgrade his white guy status from Rob Ninkovich to Ryan Kerrigan...

It looks like BW still plays too tall. By that I mean, he doesn't use his lower body, or doesn't (yet) possess the strength to drive into an OT and flat foot him. Only if he develops the necessary strength, will he become a threat. He 's not a pure speed rusher so power rushing with decent speed and sound technique is his path forward. He needs to make as much progress this offseason as he did last.

I was really hoping he would at worst turn out to be a Paul Kruger comparable. 

He still might be, Kruger did not have his breakout year really until 2012 and that was 4 years into his career, He has as many sacks as Kruger had but Werner has done it in 1 less game

I'm starting to get tired of how unproductive he has been. He has given us no pass rush recently. In the draft Xavier Rhodes my dream pick was there and we took Werner and now Rhodes looks like a top ten corner. Will Bjoern ever work as a 4-3 in a 3-4?

He is playing on the wrong side. Would you say he as a fast and athletic as Clay Mathews was?  NOOOO! Not even close. Get a grip.

The draft is a crap shoot if you didn`t know.

Werner is coming along. He needs to be VG covering the edge, versatile against the pass, and be a solid rusher. 6-8 sacks. lol Maybe!

I was really hoping he would at worst turn out to be a Paul Kruger comparable. 

Ryan Kerrigan is much better than Paul Kruger, IMO. I actually think Werner is better than Kruger already. He's better against the run (despite not being as big), he's better in space and in coverage... Werner just hasn't had the sacks in bunches that Kruger has at times.

I say we've seen what we're ultimately going to get from the guy. We really need 2-3 more years of marginal improvement to come to a conclusion? The system either doesn't suit his strengths or he just is not the player he was drafted to be.

He's not the player he was drafted to be.  Werner was a miss on Grigson's part IMO.  He isn't the rush LB for this scheme - he can play the strong side where I think he will be very good.  Its unfortunate that Grigson drafted him #1 given his skill set.  Dude played at Florida State while playing in the weak ACC and looked like a beast - but it was all brute strength not dynamic athleticism.  If he stays in this position he will be a 4-6 sack a year guy and that's not good enough for that position.