Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep is not too impressed with Nicks

deedub75

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/03/hakeem-nicks-not-making-an-immediate-impact-for-the-colts/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

According to this article from PFT, Nicks came to came pretty much out of shape and Pep isn't too impressed by him. 

How can you come to camp out of shape with so much to prove?  This is a contract year for him and he needs to prove that last season wasn't a fluke. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this very well may be his only season here then. He wants to slack and think he's got his way made then he'll find himself on the Market. He better watch it during the season because this guy Moncrief seems like he'd gladly take his spot as a starter.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/03/hakeem-nicks-not-making-an-immediate-impact-for-the-colts/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

According to this article from PFT, Nicks came to came pretty much out of shape and Pep isn't too impressed by him. 

How can you come to camp out of shape with so much to prove?  This is a contract year for him and he needs to prove that last season wasn't a fluke. 

PFT is the TMZ, National Enquirer of NFL news. They always do the most.

Here's the quote without PFTs spin:

“Yeah, I don’t know if I can say that I’ve seen enough... I think he is still working to get himself in game shape.  His talent is well documented and his ability to be a productive receiver in the league is without a doubt something that we are not questioning, he’s a special talent.”

It's not glowing, but we don't know the question that prompted "I don't know if I can say that."  We don't know if he can say what?  That he's playing well? That he's the best WR on the team? That he's a lock HOF? Tom James didn't include it on his twitter either.

Anyone have the transcript?

Well this very well may be his only season here then. He wants to slack and think he's got his way made then he'll find himself on the Market. He better watch it during the season because this guy Moncrief seems like he'd gladly take his spot as a starter.

Nicks isn't loosing his starting WR job to Moncrief. Nicks has an enormous wingspan & catch radius. Plus, Nicks has proven his value in huge SB moments Weslo. I'm not gonna dethrone a proven champion on our roster just because he's a little plumb around the midsection or failed a conditioning drill.

Relax. No need to hit the defcon level one button yet. Way to early to go nuclear yet IMO.

I highly doubt we are talking about a lethargic Albert Haynesworth when the Redskins signed him on their squad. I don't see a similar scenario here for INDY actually. Am I disappointed? A little. Is this problem catastrophic? Absolutely not. 

How can you come to camp out of shape with so much to prove? This is a contract year for him and he needs to prove that last season wasn't a fluke.

your an entitled athlete who doesn't truly appercate the opportunity you have. That's how.

C'mon guys, this reporter is trying to make something out of nothing.

Pep didn't say he came in out of shape, he said he was working to get in game shape.

As probably most of the players are doing, that is what camp is for to get in game shape.

Although I was not watching him on all plays, last Thursday he looked quick, ran sharp routes, and caught most of what was thrown to him, plus I noticed him talking with Luck many times when they were on the sidelines. I'm no expert but he looked pretty good to me that night.

Much ado about nothing!

I wonder how many people really go to camp in game shape.  I've heard many times that you can't get into game shape before playing a game.  You can train all you want, but it's different, so you won't be in game shape.  He may not have the best endurance right now, but that's one of the points of camp.  Get the guys familiar with the playbook, get their bodies used to all the work they'll have to do, get them into the routine of meetings and lifting, etc.  Not a big deal, in my opinion

,we're talking about practice. Not talking about a game, 

Much ado about nothing!

Allen Iverson & William Shakespeare in the same thread my friends are very high brow & poetic indeed. Well said gentlemen. Well said. Clearly, there is all smoke & no 5 alarm brush fire here. 

Nicks isn't loosing his starting WR job to Moncrief. Nicks has an enormous wingspan & catch radius. Plus, Nicks has proven his value in huge SB moments Weslo. I'm not gonna dethrone a proven champion on our roster just because he's a little plumb around the midsection or failed a conditioning drill.

Relax. No need to hit the defcon level one button yet. Way to early to go nuclear yet IMO.

I highly doubt we are talking about a lethargic Albert Haynesworth when the Redskins signed him on their squad. I don't see a similar scenario here for INDY actually. Am I disappointed? A little. Is this problem catastrophic? Absolutely not.

I never said he was yet. But if he does show this attitude that he thinks hes got his spot earned and he dont need to work, he could ver well lose his spot. Nothing is given, it is earned. No matter what his past is and his talent. Yes he us very talented but if he don't wanna continue to work than he can lose his spot. Thats what Im saying. I certainly hope thats not the case though. Because he can definitely be one if the best. But its not just gonna be given to him.

PFT is the TMZ, National Enquirer of NFL news. They always do the most.

Here's the quote without PFTs spin:

It's not glowing, but we don't know the question that prompted "I don't know if I can say that."  We don't know if he can say what?  That he's playing well? That he's the best WR on the team? That he's a lock HOF? Tom James didn't include it on his twitter either.

Anyone have the transcript?

I agree with your opinion of PFT.  It looks like Florio just took James' twitter feed and decided to post his thoughts on what James had put out on twitter with no context at all. 

I never said he was yet. But if he does show this attitude that he thinks hes got his spot earned and he dont need to work, he could ver well lose his spot. Nothing is given, it is earned. No matter what his past is and his talent. Yes he us very talented but if he don't wanna continue to work than he can lose his spot. Thats what Im saying. I certainly hope thats not the case though. Because he can definitely be one if the best. But its not just gonna be given to him.

I get what you're saying Weslo...Earn your keep or place on the 53 man roster. A valid point. My point is this: If Nicks plays like total crap in the 3rd Preseason game, your Moncrief statement has some merit worth considering or making a depth chart change to motivate Nicks to run crisp routes & not miss catching the ball from Luck if need be but not right now. 

At least he may be out of shape now rather than in a few weeks or so when it will actually matter. I always thought that in all sports pre season was intended as a preparation for players to get back up to game speed. 

Also while we are on this topic didn't Eddie Lacy look out of shape around this time last year?

I certainly think one can conclude that Nicks is not in game shape or has not been doing so well.....For the record I have not been to TC in a few days so I am not saying that is the case BUT its not something that should be a surprise that a player is out of shape in TC....It happens every year in all TC's...Players off for 6 months so its not something that should come as a surprise, We all hope Nicks plays well this year...and I expect him to, But Pep could have spoken a bit more highly about him...A simple "he is doing well, learning the offense, making some plays when called on" and reporters don't have any room to add any skepticism in there articles, That either was not a good response by Pep or Nicks either is not only not impressing but he is not up to standards YET OR Peps whole quote was not given on Nicks.......I would not be surprised...That's a prime way media spins things to create a story

I am pretty surprised by this all the reports we had gotten out of camp so far would indicate Nicks was having a good camp. I hope this isn't to justify Jumbo sets.

I agree with previous poster Pep hasn't been all that impressive himself.

Pep didn't say he came in out of shape, he said he was working to get in game shape.

As probably most of the players are doing, that is what camp is for to get in game shape.

Although I was not watching him on all plays, last Thursday he looked quick, ran sharp routes, and caught most of what was thrown to him, plus I noticed him talking with Luck many times when they were on the sidelines. I'm no expert but he looked pretty good to me that night.

Much ado about nothing!

This. The end.

“I don’t know if I can say that I’ve seen enough,”  --- Pep Hamilton

“I think he is still working to get himself in game shape.  His talent is well documented and his ability to be a productive receiver in the league is without a doubt something that we are not questioning, he’s a special talent.” --- Pep Hamilton

That's what Pep said.

The rest is known by many descriptions; innuendo, gobbledygook, bobble head gibberish, unfounded speculation, etc.

your an entitled athlete who doesn't truly appercate the opportunity you have. That's how.

It isn't even 'pre-season' yet -- it is training camp right now. Nicks is coming off an injury and learning an entirely new system.  I read somewhere the other day that he and LUck are working closely together and have been improving their timing and communication every day. No need to worry yet.  By game 3 of pre-season when the starters get their most reps, if Nicks is huffing wind on the sideline, then maybe we should worry, for now I don't know why anyone's getting worked up.

Much ado about nothing!

You beat me to it...we often hear players saying how there is no way to get in game shape without going through everything that entails training camp or games. If the quote was "he's trying to get in shape" then we'd have a problem.

How many of these groin and hamstring tweaks are caused by guys trying to go from offseason season shape to game shape way too quick?  My hope is Nicks knows his body and is slowly ramping up his intensity for the 19 or 20 truly meaningful games.

I certainly think one can conclude that Nicks is not in game shape or has not been doing so well.....For the record I have not been to TC in a few days so I am not saying that is the case BUT its not something that should be a surprise that a player is out of shape in TC....It happens every year in all TC's...Players off for 6 months so its not something that should come as a surprise, We all hope Nicks plays well this year...and I expect him to, But Pep could have spoken a bit more highly about him...A simple "he is doing well, learning the offense, making some plays when called on" and reporters don't have any room to add any skepticism in there articles, That either was not a good response by Pep or Nicks either is not only not impressing but he is not up to standards YET OR Peps whole quote was not given on Nicks.......I would not be surprised...That's a prime way media spins things to create a story

We don't even know what question Pep was answering, so from my point of view nothing in this article is credible. If they can't include something as important as that there is an agenda behind the story and it isn't to get the truth out.

I get what you're saying Weslo...Earn your keep or place on the 53 man roster. A valid point. My point is this: If Nicks plays like total crap in the 3rd Preseason game, your Moncrief statement has some merit worth considering or making a depth chart change to motivate Nicks to run crisp routes & not miss catching the ball from Luck if need be but not right now.

Got ya SW1! You are correct in your point. Maybe I seemed to be jumping to conclusion, which I didnt mean to. Its just I hope he realizes that nothings is just gonna be given to him. I really want to see him and this colts offense explode though!!! :)

This headline has been going around all the websites today. Too much editorializing. Pep said Nicks hasn't worked himself into game shape yet, and that's all he said. It wasn't a negative. It was a simple observation. And there's nothing surprising about that, given that the team has only had 7 practices over the course of nine days, and only two or three in pads. No one is in game shape. (I'm watching the HOF game right now, and half of these guys look sluggish, and they started camp five days before the Colts did.)

Long and short of it: There's nothing to see here.

It isn't even 'pre-season' yet -- it is training camp right now. Nicks is coming off an injury and learning an entirely new system. I read somewhere the other day that he and LUck are working closely together and have been improving their timing and communication every day. No need to worry yet. By game 3 of pre-season when the starters get their most reps, if Nicks is huffing wind on the sideline, then maybe we should worry, for now I don't know why anyone's getting worked up.

I am not worked up. I am just answering the question as to how someone comes to camp out of shape to the point that the coaches aren't impressed with you.

That has nothing to do with how I think Nicks will perform. I am sure he will play well.

Also injury only goes so far and is not an excuse for not being in shape. Wayne is coming off a torn ACL and is older than Nicks and had no problem with being in shape for camp.

So Mike Florio hasn't been to any practices, sits at home and reads someone else's twitter feed, spins it into a story with out knowing any real facts and he has the nerve to call Nicks lazy? Epitome of lazy "journalism".

He's getting it from Tom James who has been at Colts practice. 

Just because what he's saying isn't what we as Colts fans want to hear doesn't mean the guy reporting it is using lazy journalism.  Honestly when I read it other than the sentence where he asks a question it's pretty much just reporting straight facts which is what he's paid to do.  He give you a quote and tells you who it's from and fills it out with a fact Nick's performance taking a deep the past couple of years which he backs up with numbers, tells the contract he signed this year and then at the very end says Nick MIGHT have a hard time getting on the field if the Colts use three WRs sets with Wayne back and Hilton coming into his own.

Honestly I don't see lazy journalism there at all I see a case of Colts fans not liking what they are hearing. 

He's getting it from Tom James who has been at Colts practice. 

Just because what he's saying isn't what we as Colts fans want to hear doesn't mean the guy reporting it is using lazy journalism.  Honestly when I read it other than the sentence where he asks a question it's pretty much just reporting straight facts which is what he's paid to do.  He give you a quote and tells you who it's from and fills it out with a fact Nick's performance taking a deep the past couple of years which he backs up with numbers, tells the contract he signed this year and then at the very end says Nick MIGHT have a hard time getting on the field if the Colts use three WRs sets with Wayne back and Hilton coming into his own.

Honestly I don't see lazy journalism there at all I see a case of Colts fans not liking what they are hearing. 

From all of the other reports we've been getting from training camp, this isn't something that has popped up until now. I find it odd that none of our other Colts "reporters", and even forum members, haven't really said anything about this. I've not been to camp, so all I have to go off of is what's been reported on here an twitter, but Mr. James isn't a familiar one to me. I believe there is some over-analyzing and things taken out of context pertaining to what he wrote, that's just my opinion.

However, IF Nicks is out of shape, he will get there very quickly. I think this is an article to take with a grain of salt.

From the reports I have been hearing from camp, he has been developing good chemistry with Luck, and they are working together everyday so they have their timing down. I don't worry about conditioning, since the most important thing he is going to bring is a huge red zone target. So I don't think the conditioning is too important. I would appreciate him in top condition, but with his health history, I just want his feet and legs to be healthy. That alone with his height is going to raise our red zone efficiency rate.