Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Phil Costa visiting Colts today

PeterBowman

Since he can also play guard... any chance you guys think that for our remaining cap money we could get costa plus either EDS or BDLP?

If he can play guard then they might be thinking, sign this guy as an insurance policy as we go through the time consuming process of pursuing Mack.

If we end up singing Mack then we have a backup that can fill in at either C or Guard. If we don't sign Mack and, by that point, most of the more desirable centers have signed with other teams, then we have a guy who can compete with Holmes.

I don't know, just a thought.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because your bad in Dallas doesn't mean he would be bad here. Example? Jerry Hughes

Might as well just target bad players in free agency.  :)

I understand your point, but this was the major weakness of your team.  It isn't IMO the spot to roll the dice on a reclamation project.   

Might as well just target bad players in free agency. :)

I understand your point, but this was the major weakness of your team. It isn't IMO the spot to roll the dice on a reclamation project.

No I get what you're saying but honestly, shouldn't we wait before we say he's awful until he at least played a game? He's better than Satele

I just don't see how they can keep avoiding getting a quality center.  It doesn't make sense to me. Do they not see it as an important piece? Do the people that make these decisions think we can continue to just have a horrible o-line and the team will just magically get better in spite of it?

If we know this, I'm sure the Colts do as well.  We're just playing fantasy football.  They are doing this for real.  I wouldn't worry about them thinking we can get by with a lousy line.

If we know this, I'm sure the Colts do as well.  We're just playing fantasy football.  They are doing this for real.  I wouldn't worry about them thinking we can get by with a lousy line.

I guess we will see where we are after free agency and the draft. I hope you are right and that they don't think Costa is the answer. 

Maybe I missed it, but for those who think Costa is good, can you say why?

As for EDS, I talked to a friend of mine that's a Packer fan.  Now, he's just a fan and has no more knowledge than the rest of us experts, but he said EDS is at best a "serviceable" center, nothing more.  So it looks like we can say he's better than Satele, but I'm not overly excited about him either.  

Teams dont just take chances on drafting Centers in the 1st rnd just for the heck of it. Costa must've really sucked

My uncle is a huge Dallas fan, and yea Costa struggled there. Was he completely awful? No, he was better than BOTH McGlynn and Satele here, but he struggled. Not to mention we heard how bad Erik Walden was last off-season, an he actually wasn't bad. Is he a world beater? No, but he is a serviceable player.

This would be a horrible option and do nothing to address our o-line. As corgi said we'd be replacing, "cow crap, with goose crap." Going from one horrible center to another.

Big talk, but what credentials does he have over Grigson,  over is it just talking "crap".

For everyone freaking out about this "visit", I wouldn't worry quite yet.  This is just one of the many options Grigson has available at C.  Other teams are looking at this guy also.  I bet he wont sign him unless he cant come to terms with a better guy.  I don't know much about him, but I think if we ended up with him as our starter it would be an upgrade from Satele.  How could you get any worse?

Weird thing about FA...

Some guys (especially mid level guys) come into their own and can develop better in new situations, and others who may have had a decent amount of success disappear...

I guess I always look at Tim Jennings as an example of a guy who wasn't that effective in Indy, but went to Chicago & put in a couple of pro-bowl level seasons in Chicago...

Satele is also an example of the other end of the spectrum, by all accounts he looked like a decent pick-up coming out of Oak. playing in a line that helped produced a very effective run game for the Raiders. But we all know what happened when he got to Indy...

So hard telling on guys like Costa & De La Puente, it'd be nice if Indy could truly find & lock up Luck's "Saturday" moving forward...

You've got to think that a part of 18's success can be attributed to the continuity & consistency Peyton had relying on Jeff for his career in Indy...

Giving Luck that same "rock" on the line would do wonders for his game IMO...

Good examples. Saturday himself was an undrafted free agent in Baltimore. I don't think he even made it through camp his rookie season. Colts found him, dusted him off and found a gem.

My uncle is a huge Dallas fan, and yea Costa struggled there. Was he completely awful? No, he was better than BOTH McGlynn and Satele here, but he struggled. Not to mention we heard how bad Erik Walden was last off-season, an he actually wasn't bad. Is he a world beater? No, but he is a serviceable player.

Thomas-Costa-Thornton has GOT to be LOADS better than Thornton-Satele-McGlynn (or Reitz or Linkenbach, though I'm fine with keeping Reitz and/or McGlynn around as backups, since what they lack in starter potential they make up for in positional versitility; Link as well, actually, but he's already gone).

As a bargain-basement solution to our O-line problems it's not such a bad move.

A couple things are glaring to me watching Costa from 2011 now

1.He lacks lower body strength

2.Short arms

3.He has short area quickness but struggles getting to the second level

He is on the ground alot

Sounds like a Colt. :)

A couple things are glaring to me watching Costa from 2011 now

1.He lacks lower body strength

2.Short arms

3.He has short area quickness but struggles getting to the second level

He is on the ground alot

Great. We have enough O-linemen that can get on the ground quite well. (Or watch others).

Not with us, Jennings was bad for us, then goes to Chicago and becomes a pro bowler, Hughes sucks here, then goes to Buffalo and gets 10 sacks, Walden was terrible in Green Bay, then comes here and becomes serviceable

There are way more examples of bad player still being bad on other teams. Would you be saying the same thing if we signed Blaine Gabbert to be our startingQB (assume we don't have Luck in this scenario)?

There are way more examples of bad player still being bad on other teams. Would you be saying the same thing if we signed Blaine Gabbert to be our startingQB (assume we don't have Luck in this scenario)?

I'm not saying he's going to be automatically be great here, I'm just saying Grigs obviously likes something in him over McGlynn BLP, Satele etc or he wouldn't bother with him

Just note this... Dallas' big board was released from last year's draft and they graded Frederick as a 3rd round pick, yet drafted him in the first. How little did the FO have to think of him to do something like that?

It speaks more of what an * Jerry Jones is... Why would you draft a guy with a third round grade in the middle of the first round?

Phil Costa Games Played:

2010 - 4

2011 - 16

2012 - 3

2013 - 3

These are my concerns. Seems he was inconsistant at best on a Cowboy OL that was not very good. I'm not sure he will fair better here. He is young, thats a plus, but I have a feeling this won't be a huge upgrade over Satele. I hope I'm wrong but I haven't seen anything to suggest confidence that our running game will be upgraded or Luck will be under any less pressure. I'm sad for that...but hopefully some of Grigsons draft picks last year improve....Thorton and co. need to be what we thought they could be.

Just wondering something here. Obviously most of the early conversations are with agents over the phone. To get a player to make a visit there usually has to be something there. Whether the guy agrees or not is two separate things but to me if you bring a guy in...your probably offering a contract...whether it is one they will accept or not...two separate things...I think we are going to offer him something...and we will see if its something worth him signing. I don't think someone like this is just coming to check out the facilities etc..we must be in the ball park and both parties must at least be interested. Seems to me that is how this works a little bit. Interesting to see what happens. I can't imagine this is a long term deal...probably a show me deal..1 yr or 2 yr...mostly guaranteed in yr 1.

Just wondering something here. Obviously most of the early conversations are with agents over the phone. To get a player to make a visit there usually has to be something there. Whether the guy agrees or not is two separate things but to me if you bring a guy in...your probably offering a contract...whether it is one they will accept or not...two separate things...I think we are going to offer him something...and we will see if its something worth him signing. I don't think someone like this is just coming to check out the facilities etc..we must be in the ball park and both parties must at least be interested. Seems to me that is how this works a little bit. Interesting to see what happens. I can't imagine this is a long term deal...probably a show me deal..1 yr or 2 yr...mostly guaranteed in yr 1.

I agree.  Seems like the process to me.