Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck favors bringing Jonathan Martin to Indy

HarassedOffTheSite

Per PFT & Mike Florio

For several weeks, if not longer, we’ve said that the Colts could be the best fit for Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin, if/when (when) Martin leaves the Dolphins. Colts quarterback Andrew Luck believes it’s a good fit, too.On Wednesday, Luck told Pro Football Talk on NBCSN that he supports the idea of the bringing his former Stanford teammate to Indy. While Luck pointed out that there have been no internal conversations regarding the possibility of trading for or signing Martin, Luck made it clear that he believes in Martin. “I’d say I love Jon, we had a great time at Stanford together, still stay in touch with him regularly and I think he’s a great man,” Luck said regarding the input he’d provide, if/when (when) he’s asked about Martin. Luck said he still regularly talks to Martin, and that they spoke “[p]robably a couple days ago.” Luck seemed to be choosing his words carefully, but he ultimately provided one key word in response to the question of whether he’d be 100 percent in favor of acquiring Martin:  “Yes.” The Stanford connection to Martin goes beyond Andrew Luck.  Offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton and tight end Coby Fleener also were at Stanford when Martin, a second-round pick in 2012, was there. As a result, if the Colts don’t want Martin, the flag is about as red as it could possibly be.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't want Martin in Indy.  His actions have shown he doesn't have much character and he has no trouble throwing a teammate under the bus.  He doesn't seem like a very mature individual, and above all, his play in Miami wasn't that great

As a former Marine who no doubt endured more (constructive) psychological trauma in 1 day at Parris Island than Martin did while with the Dolphins organization, I'm stunned by your comment.

Have you read the Wells report? There is no place in Football or any other sport for what he endured. That wasn't hazing. It wasn't forcing humility on him in order for him to learn respect and his place in the big picture of team sports. It wasn't a constructive process of breaking him down in order to build him back up in a particular mode. That was physical assault and repeated intimidation. Not only by the P.O.S. Incognito (who NEVER should've been allowed to assume a Captain's role by the hapless coaching staff and organization) but several other players as well who were infected by said P.O.S. The franchise had a systemic problem from the GM on down that removed all safe-guards.

And Martin choosing to walk away from that unacceptable situation is the issue? Wow, perhaps he'd be seen in a more favorable light if he was being a racist, sexually harassing innocent women and physically assaulting others.   

I'm not surprised he said this. That entire Stanford crew (Fleener, Whalen, etc) have been supportive of Martin since the news broke.

I'm not surprised he said this. That entire Stanford crew (Fleener, Whalen, etc) have been supportive of Martin since the news broke.

I think this is a chance to get a starting O-lineman...without using a No.1 pick (which we don't have)

As a former Marine who no doubt endured more (constructive) psychological trauma in 1 day at Parris Island than Martin did while with the Dolphins organization, I'm stunned by your comment.

Have you read the Wells report? There is no place in Football or any other sport for what he endured. That wasn't hazing. It wasn't forcing humility on him in order for him to learn respect and his place in the big picture of team sports. It wasn't a constructive process of breaking him down in order to build him back up in a particular mode. That was physical assault and repeated intimidation. Not only by the P.O.S. Incognito (who NEVER should've been allowed to assume a Captain's role by the hapless coaching staff and organization) but several other players as well who were infected by said P.O.S. The franchise had a systemic problem from the GM on down that removed all safe-guards.

And Martin choosing to walk away from that unacceptable situation is the issue? Wow, perhaps he'd be seen in a more favorable light if he was being a racist, sexually harassing innocent women and physically assaulting others.   

I'm not saying Martin wasn't treated unfairly.  But Martin did not go out of his way to put the truth out there.  He tried to play the victim card and said nothing when Incognito was (arguably rightfully) being ripped apart by the media.  By not saying anything to Incognito's defense to let the world know that this wasn't just Martin being the victim and everyone else being the bullies, it showed me what little character he is.  What Incognito and the other guys did is unacceptable and has no place in the world, but for Martin to say nothing when he would text Incognito back with similar messages shows me he doesn't have much of a spine.  I lost a ton of respect for Incognito and Martin...possibly all the respect I had for either one.  Incognito would send crude messages to Martin, and Martin would send crude messages in return.  But while Incognito was being torn apart by everyone in the country, Martin sat back and acted like he did nothing wrong.  Just to clarify once again, I do not condone what Incognito or Martin did.  It has no place in our world.  But I've lost a ton of respect for both of those guys

I think its obvious Martin was the victim here and he just wants to play.

I cant swear to how good he is but he was starting......

He clearly has something to prove and Coby and Andrew know him and have played with him.

that's more than you know about any rookie or free agent you might acquire...

We wont give up a No.1 choice to get him because we don't have one...

I'm all for it

Personally, I don't want Martin in Indy.  His actions have shown he doesn't have much character and he has no trouble throwing a teammate under the bus.  He doesn't seem like a very mature individual, and above all, his play in Miami wasn't that great

No one should have had to endure what he did in Miami. I don't think it says anything about his character other than Incognito should be very glad that he wasn't a run of the mill pistol packing athlete. This could have been a tragedy. Bring him to Indy and I'll be they get the best out of him.

No one should have had to endure what he did in Miami. I don't think it says anything about his character other than Incognito should be very glad that he wasn't a run of the mill pistol packing athlete. This could have been a tragedy. Bring him to Indy and I'll be they get the best out of him.

I agree with you on that, but keep in mind he also dished it out.  He wasn't innocent in the big scandal that came up from that

What do you expect Luck to say?

If he went to prison he'd be wearing koolaid around his lips. He let it go on. He let himself become a victim instead of standing his ground from the time he walked in the door, period.

With that said. If he did become a colt I would support him as a player.

personally in my opinion I don't think the colts should touch this guy with a 30 foot pole I love my colts because they are a good blue collar football team and stay out of the media I do not want this unwanted media attention brought to my team in my opinion he should be bagging groceries at the local grocery store. I mean for me it would be hard to show someone respect when they just sit back let some one get torn up when you had a hand in it also you have to earn respect to receive respect

personally in my opinion I don't think the colts should touch this guy with a 30 foot pole I love my colts because they are a good blue collar football team and stay out of the media I do not want this unwanted media attention brought to my team in my opinion he should be bagging groceries at the local grocery store. I mean for me it would be hard to show someone respect when they just sit back let some one get torn up when you had a hand in it also you have to earn respect to receive respect

Agreed.....

Sam.....Martin....Incognito....

NO to each and every one of them.....and the media circus they bring.

"Why take a chance?"

gaggi_zps5df81c2e.jpg

Per PFT & Mike Florio

With all the opinions about the harassment deal aside, where does he fit in? Cherilus was really good last year and Castonzo is playing pretty decent at LT. He's not a hall of famer but Castonzo is decent so where does Martin fit if he is brought in?

By the way, Incognito is a pile. HE is the one who put Martin in this position and Martin shouldn't have to say anything. People that are harassed in a situation like that are put in an impossible position and nothing that they do will be right in everyone's eye. Bottom line is that it bothered him so much he walked away from everything that he had worked for. Terrible situation and a no win situation.

Martin's reaction to similar types taunts from an opposing team may in fact not be as big of a deal to him as being taunted and harassed by his own teammates.

Everybody is concerned that because he acted the way he did with his fellow dolphins that he will sink and shrivel against the opposing team if they say the same words. Those are two different situations.

The opponent is supposed to say those things. That's understood. Even a Drill Sargent might say those things back in the day. That situation can be handled by the recipient since those types of taunts are expected.

When your own teammates or bunk mates (your collegues and peers) say the same kinds of things, it may be more difficult to mentally accept it. Not even know how to accept it. He doesn't want to say the same things back to his own teammates, to people he wants to befriend, and take comments from people he wants to befriend him. And what I read of the Wells report, everything points to him not handling comments from his own teammates very well.

I didn't read where he has a history of running away from on field competition because an opponent (the enemy) used the n-word at him.

He's worth a shot for a low price.

Agreed.....

Sam.....Martin....Incognito....

NO to each and every one of them.....and the media circus they bring.

"Why take a chance?"

gaggi_zps5df81c2e.jpg

I agree with you about Incognito. The other two have done nothing wrong. If they can play, the circus will go away. Why bring one or both of them in if the staff thinks they can help? Because it is the right thing to do.

Martin was not prepared for the environment.

Edgerrin talked about vets who tried to haze him as a rookie, he told them to pi** off and carry their own equipment.

Some people are targets because they do not speak-up for themselves.

Bottom-line the impending media crush is not justifiable for a b/u.