Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck favors bringing Jonathan Martin to Indy

HarassedOffTheSite

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salient.

But the intellectually dishonest push-back would be "Well, Luck is just paying Martin lip-service. He doesn't really feel that way but he isn't going to say anything bad."

Translation: Andrew Luck is Richie Incognito.

Thanks. I guess its slightly possible Luck is just giving lip service but I think he's smarter than that. He knows Grigs is searching for Oline talent and won't lead him the wrong way. Plus there's no reason for him to give lip service, Martin did a great job back at Stanford, Luck's opinion should be positive of Martin.

AC absolutely should be a RT. These Gomers were dumb enough to hire a shabby Center and bring back a Guard who clearly can`t play the position. Pagano Loves Link.

Remember they kept Olson on the 53 man roster. The guy couldn`t come close to doing a pull and got shoved around worse than Satele. But i bet he was a good teammate, worked hard in the weight room, and learned the playbook faster than some other FAR Superior line project.

They will stick with AC at LT till the cows come home. Run Andrew Run!

I did some research. Football outsiders has a nice breakdown for offensive lines. Indy ranks #6 overall for pass protection. Running the ball #15 and running over left tackle #2 overall.

I am against bullying.

With that said, I played Defense and believe me Martin will not stand a chance if he gets on the field again.  The Defense is going to be 10 times worse than Incognito and the others.  What is Martin going to do then, allow his QB to get sacked or worse.  The idea is to make the Offensive man lose his temper or get emotional.  If you do, you are in his head and own him from then on, as you know what buttons to push to get him riled.  Might not be right, but it happens (did it myself). 

The question should be, "what is Martin going to do when this kind of thing happens on the field?". 

IMO, I do not want him as a Colt.

According to the report Martin never had issues with anything on the field. I'm sure college players talk just as much as NFL players. The problem was he felt stuck in a terrible team environment with no recourse.

We all know that is nonsense.

Well if I were computer literate enough to post the link I would. I think the pass protection rank is off due to the fact that Luck took less because he was quick enough to get the ball out or escape more than most QB's and we know he got hit a ton. But the rank is based on actual sacks so yes in that regard I think that is off base by a ways. The running rank though, I think that's more accurate and as I've said I believe Costonzo is one of the better run blocking tackles in the NFL.

Regardless of friendship or whatever Andrew Luck isn't kissing up to Martin by saying this. He obviously feels Martin would be an asset to us. And maybe Mr. Grigson will talk to Andrew (doubt it but who knows) about bringing Martin in at least for a workout or 2

If Irsay; Pagano, & Grigson are into this "protect the franchise" theme as they claim to be, they'll do whatever it takes. Someone better get in a Colts uniform that can protect Andrew or he's not gonna make it here long enough to be considered a hall of famer like people are saying he will be

All this speculation needs to come to an end. Free Agency & the draft need to hurry up so we can see just how serious this organization is about protecting our franchise QB

Regardless of friendship or whatever Andrew Luck isn't kissing up to Martin by saying this. He obviously feels Martin would be an asset to us. And maybe Mr. Grigson will talk to Andrew (doubt it but who knows) about bringing Martin in at least for a workout or 2

If Irsay; Pagano, & Grigson are into this "protect the franchise" theme as they claim to be, they'll do whatever it takes. Someone better get in a Colts uniform that can protect Andrew or he's not gonna make it here long enough to be considered a hall of famer like people are saying he will be

All this speculation needs to come to an end. Free Agency & the draft need to hurry up so we can see just how serious this organization is about protecting our franchise QB

i hope their plan on protecting Andrew doesn't hinge on Martin

So signing two veteran linemen, and drafting two linemen, doesn't speak to the front office's determination to protect the QB?

But signing Jonathan Martin will???

We just have to wait for the Dolphins to release him. I can't see them getting trade offers since GMs see the writing on the wall that Martin is not going to play for Miami.

Regardless of friendship or whatever Andrew Luck isn't kissing up to Martin by saying this. He obviously feels Martin would be an asset to us. 

Actually, I think that's what he's doing. "Kissing up" might not be the phrase I'd choose, but it's clear he's trying not to say "the wrong thing" and he's doing his best to stick up for his guy. 

Actually, I think that's what he's doing. "Kissing up" might not be the phrase I'd choose, but it's clear he's trying not to say "the wrong thing" and he's doing his best to stick up for his guy.

Why wouldn't Luck's opinion be sincere? Martin had a very good college career with Luck.

So signing two veteran linemen, and drafting two linemen, doesn't speak to the front office's determination to protect the QB?

But signing Jonathan Martin will???

Nope. Until Satele is gone, I won't believe they're trying hard enough to protect Andrew. AQ Shipley & McGlynn both proved to be better at center than Satele yet he's still on the roster. Until he is released or benched, I'll never believe they want to protect Andrew

We just have to wait for the Dolphins to release him. I can't see them getting trade offers since GMs see the writing on the wall that Martin is not going to play for Miami.

Im not saying Martin will be the answer but it doesn't hurt to try. Leave no rock unturned. Grigson has found gems before, now we just need him to for the offensive line

He says nice things about satele as well

The difference is that Satele hasn't played that well with Luck, while Martin did in college. So again, on what basis is Luck giving lip service about Martin? Martin had a good career at Stanford but secretly Luck thought he was terrible? That's 1 heck of a reach.

I do agree he's just being polite about Satele since he's a current teammate and doesn't want to talk about his struggles.

Well if I were computer literate enough to post the link I would. I think the pass protection rank is off due to the fact that Luck took less because he was quick enough to get the ball out or escape more than most QB's and we know he got hit a ton. But the rank is based on actual sacks so yes in that regard I think that is off base by a ways. The running rank though, I think that's more accurate and as I've said I believe Costonzo is one of the better run blocking tackles in the NFL.

I don't doubt the numbers themselves but you hit it, Luck himself is probably more responsible for that ranking than the actual O-linemen are. ;)

I am against bullying.

With that said, I played Defense and believe me Martin will not stand a chance if he gets on the field again.  The Defense is going to be 10 times worse than Incognito and the others.  What is Martin going to do then, allow his QB to get sacked or worse.  The idea is to make the Offensive man lose his temper or get emotional.  If you do, you are in his head and own him from then on, as you know what buttons to push to get him riled.  Might not be right, but it happens (did it myself). 

The question should be, "what is Martin going to do when this kind of thing happens on the field?". 

I do not think that would be a problem. There is a difference when that garbage is coming from your opponents, everyone expects them to be * but when it comes from your teammates and coaches and from one who is a team captain, that is a different story. There was no let up for Martin. He has heard crap from defenses all of his life. I think his teammates in Indy would stand up for him and after knocking a defensive player on his butt, they might just ask if he has anything to say to them....

I am against bullying.

lol this dude has been playing football since he was 10 years old. I'm sure he has heard trash talk on the field before....

Nope. Until Satele is gone, I won't believe they're trying hard enough to protect Andrew. AQ Shipley & McGlynn both proved to be better at center than Satele yet he's still on the roster. Until he is released or benched, I'll never believe they want to protect Andrew

Yeah, that's ridiculous, but don't let me stop you.

"....the intellectually dishonest push-back would be "Well, Luck is just paying Martin lip-service. He doesn't really feel that way but he isn't going to say anything bad." Translation: Andrew Luck is Richie Incognito."

down_arrow.png

down_arrow.png

He says nice things about satele as well

Tongue-out-smiley.jpg

Yeah, that's ridiculous, but don't let me stop you.

Hahaha that was a bit of hyperbole. :)

I did some research. Football outsiders has a nice breakdown for offensive lines. Indy ranks #6 overall for pass protection. Running the ball #15 and running over left tackle #2 overall.

Luck takes one hell of a beating for his line to be #6 overall in pass protection. I think the Colts offensive line is very weak. I don't know where these breakdowns come from.

His #2 ranking is based on us running directly behind him 3-4 times a game. One long run of course distorts the value.

We also ran poorly to his outside. That being said, IMO he had been Very Good run blocking the previous 2 years so with some better guard play and Allen back, we should be better able to run outside- that is when Richardson is not in.

Counting on you to get the a after the C by the Regular season. ;) Go Colts!

"....the intellectually dishonest push-back would be "Well, Luck is just paying Martin lip-service. He doesn't really feel that way but he isn't going to say anything bad." Translation: Andrew Luck is Richie Incognito."

down_arrow.png

down_arrow.png

Tongue-out-smiley.jpg

Its illogical for Luck to be giving lip service about Martin based on Luck's experience with him. If the theory is that Luck secretly thinks Martin isn't that good, then what's the basis?

His #2 ranking is based on us running directly behind him 3-4 times a game. One long run of course distorts the value.

We also ran poorly to his outside. That being said, IMO he had been Very Good run blocking the previous 2 years so with some better guard play and Allen back, we should be better able to run outside- that is when Richardson is not in.

Counting on you to get the a after the C by the Regular season. ;) Go Colts!

Castonzo....

Wasn't Martin a rookie this year? You have to give player's time to grow. Castonzo didn't exactly set the league on fire when he first started. Well, still hasn't but at least he's a solid option at starter

no he was a rookie last year. He didn't play well either year