Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck favors bringing Jonathan Martin to Indy

HarassedOffTheSite

Well said. I agree, we see things differently. I just think Jon Martin is being given a free pass by some when we doesn't deserve it. To each his/her own

I agree ... Martin not only participated on some level, he also had multiple opportunities to address or get out of the situation by both physical and non-physical official means; but instead he chose the solution that had the most collateral damage and negative effects on everyone, including those who had no part in what happened to him. The only one who potentially benefits from the solution Martin chose is himself if he should ever decide to pursue a lawsuit. Although, I am sure that possibility never entered his mind.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gavin I understand that YOU really appreciate your perspective on the talent of football players. However, Martin's feet are just fine. He protected Luck's blindside in the Pac-10 in College. And I don't doubt for a second that he can do it in the pros too.

your opinion will change if we pick him up or if you watch some games on him, Congrats he blocked Lucks blind side in the Pac-10........So? What does that even mean?

Gavin I understand that YOU really appreciate your perspective on the talent of football players. However, Martin's feet are just fine. He protected Luck's blindside in the Pac-10 in College. And I don't doubt for a second that he can do it in the pros too.

To follow up on my point ....Congrats he blocked Lucks blind side in the Pac-10........So? What does that even mean? From the time Martin started for Stanford in 2009 to 2012 these are the following players that made it into the NFL at DE or OLB DT:

Victor Butler-Oregon State

Kyle Moore-USC

Slade Norris-Oregon State

Nick Reed-Oregon

Fili Moala-USC

Ra'Shon Norris-Oregon

Clay Matthews-USC (Found a proven good one)

Zack Follett-California

Tyson Alualu-California

Daniel Te'o-Washington

Everson Griffen-USC

Erik Lorig- Stanford (converted to FB)

Brian Price-UCLA

Earl Mitchell-Arizona

Cameron Jordan-California

Brooks Reed-Arizona

Ricky Elmore-Arizona

D'Aundre Reed-Arizona

Stephen Paea-Oregon State

Jurrell Casey-USC

Sione Fua-Stanford

David Carter-USC

Lawrence Guy-Arizona State

Trevor Guyton-California

Alameda Ta'amu-Washington

Nick Perry-USC

Michal Kendricks-USC

Josh Kadu-Oregon

Datone Jones-UCLA

Dion Jordan-Oregon

Joe Kruger-Utah

Star Lotuleilei-Utah

Now there is alot of production there no doubt but most of that revolves around 4-5 players, Now of course its way to early to judge the 2013 class or 2012 class(And couple players from those classes are doing very well) but prior to that there is not alot of guys that have done much with the exception of the obvious Clay Matthews, Jurrell Casey and Cameron Jordan

Well, let's see...

One began displaying the behavioral problems that would follow him throughout his career when he arrived at College. During his second game, he was accused of spitting on a player. Two weeks later, he was ejected for picking a fight in a blowout loss. In the second-to-last game of the season he was flagged for a 15-yard personal foul penalty late in the game that largely contributed to his team's loss. He got in a fight during practice and was suspended indefinitely by his head coach. Who then sent him to anger management treatment.He was then involved in another fight and was charged with three counts of assault. He was suspended indefinitely for repeated violations of his College team's rules. And then he got into another fight in the locker room. He was forced to transfer to another school, only to be dismissed from that team a week later. By the grace of God he was drafted and voted (by fellow NFL players) the dirtiest player in the league. He harassed a female volunteer at a celebrity golf tournament. He rubbed her privates with a golf club, pressed his johnson against her behind and when he was immediately rebuffed he threw a glass of water in her face. Forcing other Dolphins players to intervene and apologize for his behavior....behavior that led to an out of court settlement by turd boy. Prior to joining the hapless Dolphins, in four years with the Rams he drew 38 penalties, including seven unnecessary roughness calls (more than any other player during that span). Fined 5 times for $75,000 and warned by the league that he faced suspension if he did not change his on the field behavior.

The other was one of two freshman starters on a College offensive line that allowed a conference low seven sacks, enabling Andrew Luck to lead that conference in passing efficiency. And on the ground, his RB rushed for a school-record 1,871 yards and 28 touchdowns. Gaining (again as a freshman) honorable mention All-Pac 10 and a second team freshman All-American honors. His sophomore year, was named a first team All-American as a member of an offensive line that allowed six sacks and enabled Andrew Luck to again lead the Pac-10 in passing efficiency. As a junior, he was again an All-American. Drafted by a crap franchise, coached by a halfwit offensive line coach (who has since been fired) and placed in a position he did not play in college while enduring criminal behavior by his "teammates", his performance magically just fell off.

I think the overwhelming majority of Colts fans would choose the latter and run the former clean out of town.

Brian I don't necessarily agree with a lot of your posts but bravo sir on this one. 

your opinion will change if we pick him up or if you watch some games on him, Congrats he blocked Lucks blind side in the Pac-10........So? What does that even mean?

I think you understood precisely what I meant.

Listen, I apologize if my questioning your perspective vis-a-vis a particular player's level of talent upsets you. I can understand how that could happen when considering how much you've tried over the years to imply some sort of insight into these matters. However you're going to have to understand that not everyone buys into that. You're going to get questioned from time to time. That's okay. :)

Like I said, Martin's feet are just fine. He protected Luck's blindside at Stanford and was an All-American doing so. Rated the 3rd highest tackle coming out of College. So the skill-set has always been there. And it still is.

The fact that he was drafted into an absolute charlie foxtrot of an organization, staffed from the top down with some brutally incompetent people, (save the head trainer) the real World (see not on paper or videotape) interactions he's endured on a person-to-person level, their affects on him personally and by extension professionally are things that I take seriously when attempting to evaluate his performance since arriving in the NFL.

With all the opinions about the harassment deal aside, where does he fit in? Cherilus was really good last year and Castonzo is playing pretty decent at LT. He's not a hall of famer but Castonzo is decent so where does Martin fit if he is brought in?

I'm not so sure Castanzo is long for this franchise. He doesn't suck by any means but he is a Polian pickup and playing in an offense that I'm not positive he is suited for. With that said I'm glad we have him but I'm not so sure Martin couldn't give him a serious run for his money. Martin protected Andrew's blindside very well at Stanford. And I don't see any reason to think he couldn't do so here. At the very least though perhaps he could move to another line position. Beggars can't be choosers and our line sucks.....so why not bring him in and let's see what's really going on? :)

So our Online coaches are so good that they will turn around Martins so far less then stellar career ???

We must have the best O-line coaches in the league. Its too bad they couldnt get more from the players they had, but if they can help Martin .......

I'm not so sure Castanzo is long for this franchise. He doesn't suck by any means but he is a Polian pickup and playing in an offense that I'm not positive he is suited for. With that said I'm glad we have him but I'm not so sure Martin couldn't give him a serious run for his money. Martin protected Andrew's blindside very well at Stanford. And I don't see any reason to think he couldn't do so here. At the very least though perhaps he could move to another line position. Beggars can't be choosers and our line sucks.....so why not bring him in and let's see what's really going on? :)

And it just occurred to me that Costonzo might have been looked at as more of a G prospect than tackle. I think he might have played some G early at BC if I remember right and I think the year he was drafted he actually played some G in the Sr bowl but maybe my memory is incorrect on that. I thought I read that some scouts thought he was a better G prospect than T. I know this, I like Costonzo's run blocking skills.

So our Online coaches are so good that they will turn around Martins so far less then stellar career ???

We must have the best O-line coaches in the league. Its too bad they couldnt get more from the players they had, but if they can help Martin .......

Hey, Luck is the one getting his butt pounded game after game. If he thinks Martin can help protect him then that is good enough for me. He was a number one pick with a great college record at his position. Bring him in here and see what he has got.

aside from all the adversity off the field, from what I read, Martin was lousy on the field.

We don't want another under achieving tackle.

The guy was playing all year with thoughts of suicide. It's pretty clear his head wasn't in the game. Chuck is all about family atmosphere here. I think Indy would be the most logical fit for him because of said atmosphere and his overall familiarity with core players, the offensive coordinator and his offense. You'd be surprised how much mental health can effect one's performance in any field of work, let alone athletics. If we don't have to give up anything for him, he could turn out to be a key acquisition for us, should we choose to pursue him

I can't stand Florio. By his reasoning, because Luck is friends with Martin, if the Colts don't sign him, it's a red flag. 

I understood it as him saying if Luck and the other (Stanford) Colts didn't publicly back Martin, that was a red flag to nobody wanting him.  Which says nothing. Which goes right along with most everything else Florio says.

Lets take this from a non-football comparison....

Martin is the quiet educated guy, from an educated family, who will always look to sit under a tree in the shade with sunblock because he read the studies on skin cancer.

Incognito is the big mouth with the horrible sun burn he got from drinking too much beer and thinking the skin cancer studies he heard about are a bunch of ninny nonsense.

Those two guys aren't going to like each other, but they try to tolerate each other because they have too.

It didn't work.  I think football people should make their own judgments and not necessarily rely upon what happened in Miami too much.

Hey, Luck is the one getting his butt pounded game after game. If he thinks Martin can help protect him then that is good enough for me. He was a number one pick with a great college record at his position. Bring him in here and see what he has got.

Andrew also raves about Satele. He isn't the kind of guy to talk trash about other players.. And martin was a second round pick

Martin's "so far less than stellar career" consists of his rookie season plus ~7 games.  A lot of OT's struggle in their first season or two.  Not saying he's the answer or that he'll turn out to be an all-pro or anything, but writing him off after less than 2 full seasons is just...stupid.  

I'm not saying Martin wasn't treated unfairly.  But Martin did not go out of his way to put the truth out there.  He tried to play the victim card and said nothing when Incognito was (arguably rightfully) being ripped apart by the media.  By not saying anything to Incognito's defense to let the world know that this wasn't just Martin being the victim and everyone else being the bullies, it showed me what little character he is.  What Incognito and the other guys did is unacceptable and has no place in the world, but for Martin to say nothing when he would text Incognito back with similar messages shows me he doesn't have much of a spine.  I lost a ton of respect for Incognito and Martin...possibly all the respect I had for either one.  Incognito would send crude messages to Martin, and Martin would send crude messages in return.  But while Incognito was being torn apart by everyone in the country, Martin sat back and acted like he did nothing wrong.  Just to clarify once again, I do not condone what Incognito or Martin did.  It has no place in our world.  But I've lost a ton of respect for both of those guys

He should Defend Icognito? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhahahhahahahahahha!

I don`t think you have witnessed or experienced anything like this therefore it is beyond your comprehension.

Icognito was part of a Veteran Pack. Martin did what he had to do to survive. And then he couldn`t take it anymore.

Others around the situation failed to intervene and tell those jackheads to fly right because they were also cowardly. Period.

I`ll let others evaluate Martins skill set and potential.

Who is our current back up LT and should we look to upgrade that? Last season i guess Reitz was it when healthy, or Paganos Boy 4 Position Link.

Reitz can`t stay healthy and Link - well i have NOTHING nice to say about his ability.

So Now, some think Nixon might be the guy. We saw him play VG at guard and he should be OK as a backup RT. Left Tackle????

I would be shocked if Martin wasn`t an upgrade over Link as a backup. He is just a guy to be considered to me.

Castonzo wasn't exactly great his first 2 years either.

In addition, Castonzo didn't have to perform under extraneous duress; which we know Martin's makeup can't withstand.  IMO, Martin can develop well in the right environment.  We know what happens in the wrong environment.  And I agree with DD, don't think other teams would affect him, if his team mates have his back on and off the field.

And it just occurred to me that Costonzo might have been looked at as more of a G prospect than tackle. I think he might have played some G early at BC if I remember right and I think the year he was drafted he actually played some G in the Sr bowl but maybe my memory is incorrect on that. I thought I read that some scouts thought he was a better G prospect than T. I know this, I like Costonzo's run blocking skills.

AC absolutely should be a RT. These Gomers were dumb enough to hire a shabby Center and bring back a Guard who clearly can`t play the position. Pagano Loves Link.

Remember they kept Olson on the 53 man roster. The guy couldn`t come close to doing a pull and got shoved around worse than Satele. But i bet he was a good teammate, worked hard in the weight room, and learned the playbook faster than some other FAR Superior line project.

They will stick with AC at LT till the cows come home. Run Andrew Run!

I did not like what I heard Of Martin as a Dolphin & I questioned his manhood in earlier posts & I still do .

But I also looked at a couple of scouting reports from 2012 & the more I read the more I believe there is a good chance he will end up a Colt .

Or a Jaguar . He was compared to  Gross who just announced his retirement .

He according to everything I read is a good run blocker something we need  - He has played multiple positions on the line ,

The Stanford offensive line was pretty good . Something we can't say about our Colts line .

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012jmartin.php

I did not like what I heard Of Martin as a Dolphin & I questioned his manhood in earlier posts & I still do .

But I also looked at a couple of scouting reports from 2012 & the more I read the more I believe there is a good chance he will end up a Colt .

Or a Jaguar . He was compared to  Gross who just announced his retirement .

He according to everything I read is a good run blocker something we need  - He has played multiple positions on the line ,

The Stanford offensive line was pretty good . Something we can't say about our Colts line .

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012jmartin.php

OOPS  Gross from the Panthers

AC absolutely should be a RT. These Gomers were dumb enough to hire a shabby Center and bring back a Guard who clearly can`t play the position. Pagano Loves Link.

Remember they kept Olson on the 53 man roster. The guy couldn`t come close to doing a pull and got shoved around worse than Satele. But i bet he was a good teammate, worked hard in the weight room, and learned the playbook faster than some other FAR Superior line project.

They will stick with AC at LT till the cows come home. Run Andrew Run!

Well, they did spend a first round pick on AC. He was rated right there with Nate Solder that year if I remember correctly. In fact I think NE took Solder just a few picks ahead of us and I'm guessing that most NFL teams had AC n Solder rated pretty close. I know there was plenty of talk that year about which one would go higher. I like AC, he may not be the next Anthony Munoz but I think he does a better than fair job.

Martin to me , seems like he is a  child in a man's game. don't get me wrong, i'm against bullying no matter what the age is, but being childish, leaving your " family " your team behind because you can't stand up for yourself or take it to the front office, that there shows he is not mature enough to play at that level. so honestly, no i would not like to see him in Indy. I rather us try to sign Oher or someone else then bring in Martin. 

Personally, I don't want Martin in Indy.  His actions have shown he doesn't have much character and he has no trouble throwing a teammate under the bus.  He doesn't seem like a very mature individual, and above all, his play in Miami wasn't that great

I have to disagree... i don't think he failed his teammates in anyway. The dolphins and his teammates ( i use the word teammates loosely) failed Martin in every way. I am not saying Martin couldn't have handled the situation better, I am simply saying he shouldn't have had to be in that situation.

If Luck holds him in such high esteem I honestly can't sit here an act like I know better than him.

Salient.

But the intellectually dishonest push-back would be "Well, Luck is just paying Martin lip-service. He doesn't really feel that way but he isn't going to say anything bad."

Translation: Andrew Luck is Richie Incognito.

I am against bullying.

With that said, I played Defense and believe me Martin will not stand a chance if he gets on the field again.  The Defense is going to be 10 times worse than Incognito and the others.  What is Martin going to do then, allow his QB to get sacked or worse.  The idea is to make the Offensive man lose his temper or get emotional.  If you do, you are in his head and own him from then on, as you know what buttons to push to get him riled.  Might not be right, but it happens (did it myself). 

The question should be, "what is Martin going to do when this kind of thing happens on the field?". 

IMO, I do not want him as a Colt.