Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you be okay with McNary starting next year?

Slick_Rick

Via Stephen Holder's twitter..."One guy Colts very high on for 2014 is LB Josh McNary. Possible starter inside, next to Jerrell Freeman. Seriously".

Stephen Holder says that the Colts are high on him. He seemed to be pretty good during the playoffs. I think he could develop into something very good.

Thoughts?

Not really. I like the guy and think he has good potential, but we desperately need a proven real 3-4 ILBer. Freeman is a good player but he is not a prototypical 3-4 ILBer and it shows a lot of times. I don't think it would be wise to rely on an unproven commodity at this point. 

Via Stephen Holder's twitter..."One guy Colts very high on for 2014 is LB Josh McNary. Possible starter inside, next to Jerrell Freeman. Seriously".

Stephen Holder says that the Colts are high on him. He seemed to be pretty good during the playoffs. I think he could develop into something very good.

Thoughts?

He's already proven very good in pass coverage and he can also rush the passer. Considering that he was off 2 years and arrived to training camp late , I think it's remarkable he earned so many snaps at the end of the year. So yeah , I'm excited about him and would gamble and fill another need rather than ILB.

At some point someone is going tl have to be accountable for all our run defense issues.

We can't sit here and say "well redding is a great vet, well Chapman is a brick wall, well Freaky Jean was worth every penny! And Freeman was a stud(he was),Mcnary was good in the playoffs, and walden Did his job of sealing the edge!"

Someone has to be switched out for a better player or well just have the same old problems.

(Rant off)

I like McNary, but I don't think it would be wise to enter next season with him as the starter. We should sign a vet like Dansby or Smith, then if McNary has continued to progress give him the job the next year. What if McNary looks awesome in camp and preseason then doesn't keep it up when the season starts, then we are right back in the same situation.

Don't get me wrong. I like Freeman and think he is a very good player, but he was basically invisible for the New England game. I don't see him being the leader of the defense.

To be honest, I am not sure of his credentials as a leader of the defense. As a top-of-the-game playmaker, I am convinced. He is great in coverage, but his instincts against the run are jawdropping at times. And he is getting better.

No. He's great coming off the bench but we need to sign Spikes or Butler. OR what I'd prefer is to draft Smallwood, Johnson, Jackson or Brown and sign Dansby to a 2 year deal. Same thing with Howell, awesome depth coming off the bench, but we should strive to get a true playmaker starting at safety.

I like him I think he shows a lot of promise considering he hadn't played in 2 years. I like his size 250pounds, seems to be able to run, good in coverage, & Blitzing. Against the run? not so sure honestly he wasn't in there much against the run & when he was he had some ups & downs, but again he hasn't played much! I think I like him, Sheppard I hated in the beginning of the year looked completely lost! He did come on later in the year tough showing some promise. I love Freeman the only knock on him is his size He really needs a thumpper ILB right beside him & a DL which can keep him clean. I personally would take with our 2nd & 3rd round picks obviously best available players, especially if the were a heavy hitting IIL with size, or a 3/4 DE who can rush, with size for the run.

Thoughts?

Yes. Conner is probably gone and I'm not confident Angerer or Sheppard will start. 

It's really hard, as a fan, to say because there is such a small sampling.  When he finally did see the field this year he looked, okay.  He didn't show any flashes of greatness nor did he mess up royally that I could tell.  Ask after the 2014 preseason if we are "okay" with him as a starter at this point an answer easier way is based on some preconceived ideas that do not have a basis on what happened on the field and definitely not based on anything the coaches use to make their decision.

I will say this about McNary, his presence on the field showed how really, really bad Conner is as a 3-4 ILB.  If he (Conner) was in the right spot it was only because he closed his eyes and ran straight.  Conner lacks the agility to cover and lacks the field awareness to be a consistent run stopper.

It almost seems like Freeman is more suited for the weak side 3-4 ILB, and the one we need is a strong side 3-4 ILB, a thumper against the run, who at worst will take on the largest TE a team has to offer. :)

That is why Shayne Skov would be a good fit as a strong side 3-4 ILB while Freeman can make more plays as a weak side 3-4 ILB. Just my opinion.

I don't think we have seen enough of Josh to make that call yet.

But IMO Conner and Angerer won't be re-signed.

I would love to see us get someone big and fast that can shed a block and make a tackle. I am tired of watching these smaller guys get pushed out of the plays. And Freeman would be a good backup to a great ILB.

I'd resign Justin Hickman and let him continue his progression inside. 6'2ish 250+ and he looked very agile and promising before getting hurt. I have no idea what grade his Lys Franc injury was but I'd like to give him another shot if possible. If Hickman can come back, that would be a great start to the ILB spot, and allow the Colts to not feel as desperate in drafting and starting a guy right away.

Still need an ILB, Preferably a heavy hitting run stuffer who is strong enough to shed blocks next to Freeman

Completely 100% agree. I think the team will make ILB a priority this off season. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a seasoned vet in free agency. A solid ILB isn't going to command a huge contract like a CB or even a good OLB will.