Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you be okay with McNary starting next year?

Slick_Rick

McNary is the best ILB we have right now (next to Freeman). Like Freeman this guy can cover ground quickly he just needs to hone his instincts and play his techniques better, IMO. However I would ask the question having not played for a long time, arriving to camp late, spending the majority of the year on practice squad and then playing significant snaps at the end of the year did any player show more progress in 2013?

At some point someone is going tl have to be accountable for all our run defense issues.

We can't sit here and say "well redding is a great vet, well Chapman is a brick wall, well Freaky Jean was worth every penny! And Freeman was a stud(he was),Mcnary was good in the playoffs, and walden Did his job of sealing the edge!"

Someone has to be switched out for a better player or well just have the same old problems.

(Rant off)

My thoughts exactly. We have some very solid players but we don't have that guy on defense (Mathis can't do it all) that is a game changer. A guy that makes the other team have to locate him. That Ray Lewis Clay Matthews, Urlacher etc type linebacker. A guy that is a threat just by mentioning his name. That's what we need on Defense. We really never had a guy like that. That's what we need. McNary is over good considering his lack of off season prep. Freeman is a playmaker but not a true game changer. We need someone who is. and were not going to find that in FA. That has to be a draft type find.

At some point someone is going tl have to be accountable for all our run defense issues.

We can't sit here and say "well redding is a great vet, well Chapman is a brick wall, well Freaky Jean was worth every penny! And Freeman was a stud(he was),Mcnary was good in the playoffs, and walden Did his job of sealing the edge!"

Someone has to be switched out for a better player or well just have the same old problems.

(Rant off)

Clearly it's all Trent's fault.

In all seriousness I agree. 

It's funny how some say we need a proven commodity and then they turn around and say we should draft such and such! 

In what way is a rookie fresh out of the draft more proven than someone who has played in more than 1 live NFL game?

To me Mcnary is like a draft pick that you have to mold. I think some of the hiccups he had shedding blockers can be overcome by getting more comfort in the system.  The less you are thinking the quicker you can react and get to where you need to be.  Also with a full offseason he work on his technique some to get better results in the run game.   The guy has real good potential, he's a thumper I'll say that...

I know this won't happen due to the existence of Werner and Walden, but I would even be down with a scenario that brought in a proven free agent MLB like Donald Butler or one of the other names and having Mcnary moved to compete for the starting spot at OLB. Dude is good at putting pressure on the QB and certainly big enough to set the edge on the outside.  I'm already getting excited about 2014 season.  I believe we are going to be bringing some heat this time around in the pass rush.

I think we need to find a stud MLB through FA next to Freeman, and sub McNary in and out with the new starter/Freeman and let him grow that way instead of just letting him be the starter. I do like McNary alot though. Just don't toss him in all the way just yet. 

Whoever we get needs to be able to drop into coverage, that's a given. 

The 3-4 needs a real thumper in the middle of it.  I like McNary, he provides depth and should get better after all the time off.  Brandon Spikes likely won;'t be resigned by the Patriots.  That dude is big, fast and nasty but ran into some problems with Belichick.  He's not great in pass coverage but ail be fine on running downs 

The 3-4 needs a real thumper in the middle of it. I like McNary, he provides depth and should get better after all the time off. Brandon Spikes likely won;'t be resigned by the Patriots. That dude is big, fast and nasty but ran into some problems with Belichick. He's not great in pass coverage but ail be fine on running downs

Big? Yes.. Nasty? Yes.. Fast? Heh.. He looks like he's running with laced up cinder blocks on his feet. I'm not sure he could beat Mario Harvey in a foot race. To the point, I do like the thought of him though next to Freeman.

Don't get me wrong.  I like Freeman and think he is a very good player, but he was basically invisible for the New England game.  I don't see him being the leader of the defense.

Agree. Freeman is solid, and NO ONE can be All they can be playing behind Grigson & Paganos Men Moala & Mathews.

Redding was just so so much of the time.

Freeman was our worst pass defender a PFF -5 giving up a 79% pass completion rate. On the bench in passing situations?

He does play hard.

Agree. Freeman is solid, and NO ONE can be All they can be playing behind Grigson & Paganos Men Moala & Mathews.

Redding was just so so much of the time.

Freeman was our worst pass defender a PFF -5 giving up a 79% pass completion rate. On the bench in passing situations?

He does play hard.

hope you are taking those pff grades you like to quote so much with a grain of salt

Borland in the second round...    please... 

Ehh theres a lot more BPA in the 2nd.

The more i read about Borland, the more I think his measurables WONT hold him back. Kid loves to hit, is physical, wraps up, and most importantly has great football instincts. 2nd no thanks grab a dl or db. 3rd round, jump on him!

Borland, whoever said it above, could just be our thumper in the middle playing 1st and 2nd running downs, with mcnary playing coverage on 3rd and longs since hes such a freak athlete. borlan is a thumper punch you in the face guy we could use in the run defense. McNary is the huge freak athlete that is big and fast enough to cover TEs and HBs on passes.