Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players Who Never Panned Out..

Dark Superman

Here we go again. He had 3 years to show 'enough'. Funny how the guys we pay to run our club didn't think he was good enough either....

So which is it? Guys who had 3 years were talent that we stupidly gave away, or guys with one year or less are busts. :blah:

Comn Colt fans, you're coming across as whiny whinertons. :)

Trev Alberts is the biggest draft bust in Colts history.  He was selected fifth overall, I think.  His had three injury-plagued years and then wanted to quit, before finally doing so.  GM Bill Tobin was so angry, he wouldn't let Alberts walk away, IIRC.  He threatened to recoup money from his contract or something,  Alberts later admitted that he sucked, didn't know why Tobin drafted him anyway.  Alberts was an All-American LBer at Nebraska.

CBS listed him as one of the top 50 NFL draft busts.

Trev Alberts is the biggest draft bust in Colts history.  He was selected fifth overall, I think.  His had three injury-plagued years and then wanted to quit, before finally doing so.  GM Bill Tobin was so angry, he wouldn't let Alberts walk away, IIRC.  He threatened to recoup money from his contract or something,  Alberts later admitted that he sucked, didn't know why Tobin drafted him anyway.  Alberts was an All-American LBer at Nebraska.

CBS listed him as one of the top 50 NFL draft busts.

Many times a team will draft a player that does not fit there scheme and not adjust to what he can do right away and he gets put in a bad situation, Jerry Hughes is another prime example

Rob Morris.

To me, a bust is a guy who just falls flat on his face and does nothing.  Morris didn't do what he should have done coming out from BYU but he was no where near a bust for the Colts.  He started for four years.  Then people tend to forget that Dungy re-inserted Rob Morris into the starting line-up at the SAM in 2006 over Gilbert Gardner.  Everyone remembers Bob Sanders coming back, but everyone forgets Morris' role.  Those two moves solidified the run defense for the Super Bowl.  Morris started at the SAM the following year and blew his quad which ended his career. 

Steve Emtman was a true bust.  He was a medical bust but a bust nonetheless.  Same for Trev Alberts.

We've had a lot of busts at DB over the years too.  Idrees Bashir was a big one.  Colts moved up in the 2nd to get him and he turned out not to be worth it.  Paul Miranda, Joe Jefferson, and David Macklin were all solid busts. 

Colts drafted a DT from Michigan with a 4th round pick a few years ago then cut him during camp.  Terrence something.  That's a legit bust.

Some guys, I tend to cut slack with because they went on to have decent careers elsewhere.  Ashley Ambrose was terrible for us except for the '95 playoffs.  But then he became a pro bowler in Atlanta and Cincy.  You can't really call that a bust.  Jeff George was terrible for us.  But then he put up huge numbers in Atlanta, Oakland, and Minnesota. 

To me, a bust is a guy who just falls flat on his face and does nothing. Morris didn't do what he should have done coming out from BYU but he was no where near a bust for the Colts. He started for four years. Then people tend to forget that Dungy re-inserted Rob Morris into the starting line-up at the SAM in 2006 over Gilbert Gardner. Everyone remembers Bob Sanders coming back, but everyone forgets Morris' role. Those two moves solidified the run defense for the Super Bowl. Morris started at the SAM the following year and blew his quad which ended his career.

Steve Emtman was a true bust. He was a medical bust but a bust nonetheless. Same for Trev Alberts.

We've had a lot of busts at DB over the years too. Idrees Bashir was a big one. Colts moved up in the 2nd to get him and he turned out not to be worth it. Paul Miranda, Joe Jefferson, and David Macklin were all solid busts.

Colts drafted a DT from Michigan with a 4th round pick a few years ago then cut him during camp. Terrence something. That's a legit bust.

Some guys, I tend to cut slack with because they went on to have decent careers elsewhere. Ashley Ambrose was terrible for us except for the '95 playoffs. But then he became a pro bowler in Atlanta and Cincy. You can't really call that a bust. Jeff George was terrible for us. But then he put up huge numbers in Atlanta, Oakland, and Minnesota.

I mostly agree. But the OP didn't say busts only.

And i'll add a third

Booger McFarland plus the trade for him.

He was one of the reasons why we even won the Super Bowl as he helped improve the team in the post season.

My point was more about his longevity with us.  We gave up a 2nd rounder for him and he only played 11 games for the colts.