Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BJoern

Dark Superman

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't see the game yesterday but how is he progressing?

Is his pass rushing getting any better?

On the TD TO Fitzgerald it looked like Mathis and Werner were in the back field about to sack Palmer before he got the ball off..

If it was Werner, he looked a little bit more explosive..

i agree i seen the game he got a lot better but he need to have a motor he often give up on plays

Didn't see the game yesterday but how is he progressing?

Is his pass rushing getting any better?

On the TD TO Fitzgerald it looked like Mathis and Werner were in the back field about to sack Palmer before he got the ball off..

If it was Werner, he looked a little bit more explosive..

He looked horrible yesterday. Had no pass rush and inconsistent against the run. Did make a nice breakup in the redzone.

Its really interesting to see how no one criticizes or berates this guy in ANY way like the way it was done with Jerry Hughes when he was a rook...this guy has been just as much a NON-factor as he was, AND hes injured alot. Two qualities that spell First round BUST all over it. But...he gets a pass...very interesting.

That's because Werner is playing behind Mathis and Walden, Hughes only had to play behind Mathis and Freeney.  Also Hughes was drafted by Polian in a draft where many people thought the Colts should have drafted a WR.  Werner was drafted by Grigson and everything he does is golden.

You will learn that kind of stuff when you post here long enough. :)

Its really interesting to see how no one criticizes or berates this guy in ANY way like the way it was done with Jerry Hughes when he was a rook...this guy has been just as much a NON-factor as he was, AND hes injured alot. Two qualities that spell First round BUST all over it. But...he gets a pass...very interesting.

No audience here. They're all Bills fans now(?).

Huh??? 

That's because Werner actually makes plays.

Good grief, let it go.

It's funny that he's a 4-3 end trying to adjust to the 3-4 OLB yet he looks more comfortable (and better) at dropping back rather than pass rushing.

I agree, also he doesn't seem to be strong enough at the point of attack.  Maybe he is just hesitant and thinking too much instead of reacting. 

I agree, also he doesn't seem to be strong enough at the point of attack. Maybe he is just hesitant and thinking too much instead of reacting.

Probably this. Werner was always going to be a bit of a project pick at the NFL level, and getting an injury and missing a few games just slowed that development down a bit. I think another offseason and some playing time next year should see him turn the corner as he gets more comfortable with the speed of the game and his new position.

Probably this. Werner was always going to be a bit of a project pick at the NFL level, and getting an injury and missing a few games just slowed that development down a bit. I think another offseason and some playing time next year should see him turn the corner as he gets more comfortable with the speed of the game and his new position.

I hope you are right.  The Colts need to generate more of a pass rush than they have, even with Mathis' sack total.

I hope you are right. The Colts need to generate more of a pass rush than they have, even with Mathis' sack total.

Mathis' s sack number is decieving. A lot of them were coverage sacks where the secondary played so tight the QB just ran out of time.

That obviously hasnt been the case since the bye week, but the point is the pass rush was never much good.

He showed flashes vs the Cards he just need more reps. At some point we probably will have to go back to the 4-3. We can still play man coverage like the Raiders use to be known for with Nnmadi instead of Tampa 2.

Redding and RJF at DT

Mathis and Werner at DE

Freeman, Conner, and Walden as the LB's

We would be a better defense and have a much better pass rush because our NT's cant rush the passer.

He showed flashes vs the Cards he just need more reps. At some point we probably will have to go back to the 4-3. We can still play man coverage like the Raiders use to be known for with Nnmadi instead of Tampa 2.

Redding and RJF at DT

Mathis and Werner at DE

We would be a better defense and have a much better pass rush because our NT's cant rush the passer.

Were not going back to the 4-3 as long as Pagano is here. That's a guarantee! I for one am glad, Not a big fan of a 4-3 defense, we just need more talent for the 3-4, we don't need to switch back.

Redding and RJF at DT

Mathis and Werner at DE

The heck with the 4-3 that system sucked worst than this one we just need the right players that can play a 3-4 defense.

The heck with the 4-3 that system sucked worst than this one we just need the right players that can play a 3-4 defense.

What the Colts ran for years wasnt a true 4-3. It was a variation based on undersized but speedy players in zone schemes called Tampa 2.

Dungy ran a simple 4-3  Tampa 2 zone rarely played man or blitz and the players were undersized. What i'm talking about is what the Seahawks and Panthers run, 4-3 over, 4-3 under.

We can still play man coverage but having a NT on the team is really hurting the pass rush.

Also having 3 lb's that can run will be better at stopping the run. Werner would be great as a 4-3 DE he's not a OLB. If we did fire Manusky and go to the 4-3 over and under i would consider drafting Will Sutton.

Redding and RJF at DT

Mathis and Werner at DE

also our nts cant stop the run, or collapse the pocket

it's extremely tough to really see what is going on watching the game on line, but i thought the line played pretty well. they were getting good pressure, but all the secondary was absolutely terrible! palmer was getting rid of the ball fast to open recievers and took hits right after releasing the ball.

Yeah that too...Nt's are a waste unless you have a Hof type player like Wilfork, Hampton, and Ngata it doesn't work.  Were better off as a 4-3 under team.

well fortunately the Colts rarely have a NT on the field in long yardage passing situations.  they put in a 4 man front with Mathis and Werner/Walden on the ends with some combination of RJF, Redding, Matthews, Moala in the middle DT spots.