Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dat feeling of being a Colts fan

AllYouNeedIsLuck

132 members have voted

1. 1. How did you become a Colts fan?

• I live in the Indiana/Indiana area
    • Peyton Manning
    • Friends or relatives reeled me in/influenced me
    • Can't remember the reason- I just love the Colts!
    • Their unis, logo, color combination
    • Organizational appeal
    • Bandwagoner- I know, I'm a poor excuse for a fan
    • I LOVE YOUNG UNCASTRATED MALE HORSES!!!

I became a Colts fan in 1958 while watching the World Championship. It was the first game I saw on TV. The Colts won and I have been a fan since that time. I live in SC and used to go see a couple of games a year during the 1970s when the Colts were still in Baltimore. I have not been to a game since the move to Indy. I coached kids for about 25 years as a church ministry. I've had three kids make it to the NFL (Kayo Simpson with Buffalo, Stephon Gilmore with Buffalo, and Caderrelle Patterson with Minnesota).

When I was old enough to understand sports (5,6  1974-75)  I watched games on tv of teams until i found a player or team whose playing style and personality I liked.  Thus my allegiance city/state wide is all over the map but have never strayed despite team moves.

Baltimore/Indy Colts- Bert Jones

Boston Red Sox- Yaz

NY Islanders-Dennis Potvin

Buffalo Braves/SD-LA Clippers- Bob McAdoo

Been some tough years through long stretches especially in basketball but lately things have been pretty rewarding.

I'm a little older, but I came to like my teams the same way you did.

Baltimore/Indy Colts - Lydell Michell and Bert Jones

Boston Red Sox  Fred Lynn, Jim Rice, and El Tiante

Montreal Canadians - Guy Lafleur and Ken Dryden..though when Patrick Roy was in Colorado..I rooted for him there

Denver Nuggets - David Thompson..then got into the whole Celtics/Lakers Bird/Magic rivalry even through college.

Went from Baltimore Colts fan to Indy Colts fan.

Same here...

First of all I enjoyed reading many of the interesting personal stories here. 

In my case it happened to move to United States from Romania in 1998, the exact year the Colts drafted Peyton Manning.

Before that all I knew about American football was that there was a team named Dallas Cowboys because I watched some highlights of them about 2-3 years before I left my country of origin.

First time I paid some attention to an NFL game was during my first Thanksgiving dinner in Indiana and it happened that there was a Cowboys game on TV (now I know why :) ). It turned our the Cowboys were not very popular among the people eating turkey on the couches. The next thing I remember was a post Super Bowl press conference with Mike Shanahan and John Elway speaking of Elway's last game (had no idea at the time what Elway meant to NFL obviously). All that are just fragments of memory at this point.

Then, next year (1999) one Sunday afternoon something beautiful happened. I turned the TV on during a Colts game and I saw Edgerrin James running wild with his unique style, about 10 yards at the time (it seemed) with some teammates in blue in front of him helping to make a path (now I know that was the famous stretch play). I was fascinated, the guy made it all look so easy and spectacular at the same time. I watched the whole game. From there on I started to watch more and more Colts games and realized the importance and the genius of Peyton Manning and the great talent of Marvin Harrison. However, I didn't really feel like a fan until the first loss in the playoffs to the Titans although that wasn't very painful (the later losses to the Patriots were crushing). By the end of 2004 my love for the Colts not only replaced any interest I had in other teams from other sports, including any major interest I had in soccer, the European most popular sport.

I became a Colts fan in 1958 while watching the World Championship. It was the first game I saw on TV. The Colts won and I have been a fan since that time. I live in SC and used to go see a couple of games a year during the 1970s when the Colts were still in Baltimore. I have not been to a game since the move to Indy. I coached kids for about 25 years as a church ministry. I've had three kids make it to the NFL (Kayo Simpson with Buffalo, Stephon Gilmore with Buffalo, and Caderrelle Patterson with Minnesota).

Wow impressive! What ages did you coach?

My Dad was a huge Johnny Unitas fan, so I grew up hearing about the Baltimore Colts. When I was young I was really more of a college football fan being from the South where SEC is king, but as I started to grow up and try and bond more with my dad, who finally came home to live instead of working on the road all the time, I started watching more NFL games with him and became a confirmed Colts fan. The NFL does bring families together.

I was always an IU basketball and Cincinnati Reds fan.  Would watch the games with my dad.  Then in '84 the Colts came via Mayflower and my Mother, who is from England, decided that American football was the sport for her.  She got my dad and I watching them too.  Every Sunday she would announce "It's time to watch My Boys kick butt".  Through all the ups and downs my Mother was convinced that The Colts would win a National Title, was sure of it.  It didn't matter if it was Pagle or "Captain Comeback" under center.  My dad passed in '99 so he didn't get to see us win a Title but my Mother did get to see the big win even though she was sick with cancer she stated that it made her feel Wonderful to finally see her "Boys" win it all.  She passed latter that spring.  I decided that I was going to go all in and even though my Husband prefers to stay home and watch the games in his man cave, a friend of mine and I got season tickets together the last year in the old RCA Dome.  So us old Football Chicks are at every home game cheering on our "Boys".  My voice still isn't right from Sunday night WOOHOO!!!!  :disco: 

• 3 weeks later...

When I was old enough to understand sports (5,6  1974-75)  I watched games on tv of teams until i found a player or team whose playing style and personality I liked.  Thus my allegiance city/state wide is all over the map but have never strayed despite team moves.

Baltimore/Indy Colts- Bert Jones

Boston Red Sox- Yaz

NY Islanders-Dennis Potvin

Buffalo Braves/SD-LA Clippers- Bob McAdoo

Been some tough years through long stretches especially in basketball but lately things have been pretty rewarding.

i picked my teams the same way, around 1971, 9-11 years old, and and haven't left any of them at any time.

colts-john unitas/sb

milwaukee bucks-lew alcindor/the big o

mets-tom seaver

ny rangers-brad park/gag line

cornhuskers (ncaa fb)-johnny rogers/rich glover/ national championship

penn quakers (ncaa bb)-the only local team, big 5 games were broadcast twice a week in the philideliphia area.

things were so different back then, no cable tv or computers. you had to read the sports section or try to tune in a radio station from another city late at night. kids and young adults now couldn't even imagine what this would be like. nba championship games on tape delay before the bird/magic era. 

Moved to Ft Wayne from out west. Was a Niner fan. After living here a few years and watch everyone root for the bears, Cowboys, steelers and everyone else I started watching colts games just to root against them. Back then they sucked till harbaugh came around and have been hooked ever since.

New forum member, have been trolling for a while. Diehard Colts fan for quite some time....Grew up in Texas and was surrounded by Cowboys/Oilers fans but never really was a huge fan of either team. After moving to Indiana in the 90's started watching the Colts at family get togethers and was hooked! Through all the ups/down I have remained committed to the Colts, and have watched EVERY game. Have been to several home games and will be there tomorrow yelling my head off against the Rams!!!!

BTW... this forum really helps pass the time between games!!!

Born and raised in rural north central Indiana.  I was a big Chicago Cubs and Bears fans since the late 1960s (5-6 years old).  Graduated from Purdue in the mid 80s and moved out of state.   Started watching Colts football when they moved to Indy but was still primarily a Bears fan.  Started attending games at the Hoosier dome when visiting family in the late 80s and during the Jeff George era.  Attending games at the dome started to move the needle for the Colts, I would plan my vacations around Colts home games.  Somewhere in the early 90s the Colts overtook the Bears as my primary team (George, Flipper, Emtman, Coryott, Faulk, Harbaugh).  I'm still a fan of the both the Colts and the Bears but prefer the Colts by a wide margin.  I'm still just a Cubs fan in baseball though.

Growing up in the 70's, and being an Indiana native, I liked the Colts, but they were as distant as any team.  So I really grew up a Steeler and Dophin fan.  Then, one day, my state received a football team.  Being the homer that I am, it was done, I was a Colt fan true blue and all in, have been ever since.  I LOVE MY COLTS!  I may get crucified for this, but the Colt team we are fielding right now is better than any I have witnessed.  Notice I said TEAM!  I believe we are more complete right now than we have been for a VERY long time!  Of course we are still growing, but the foundation we are growing on seems very solid.  Over the past 15 years, I have enjoyed the winning, but I didn't care for how we were winning.  We were lucky more than anything.  Not because we didn't have a great talent, but because without that singular element, we were nothing.  We were one missed block from having nothing every weekend.  Please do not mistake my comments.  Peyton is great, and will go down as one of the all time greats, you have to have that to be a great team.  We all know he carried everything.  It made me nervous as heck week in and week out, waiting until late in the 4th quarter for some amazing magic, or hoping "that hit" wasn't the one that would take him out.  I like it a bit old school, get a lead, then beat 'em up.  I think we are closer to that style now and I like it! :D

:thmup:  :disco:  :number1:

In 2000, I attended a seminar at Wolf Park in Battle Ground. I fell in love with Indiana and started following the Colts. I always wanted to move to Indiana but it was never in the cards for me. I went back a few more times for seminars. If I ever win the lottery, I will buy a house in The Battle Ground area and will be a Colts season ticket holder. I love the COLTS!

I was always an IU basketball and Cincinnati Reds fan.  Would watch the games with my dad.  Then in '84 the Colts came via Mayflower and my Mother, who is from England, decided that American football was the sport for her.  She got my dad and I watching them too.  Every Sunday she would announce "It's time to watch My Boys kick butt".  Through all the ups and downs my Mother was convinced that The Colts would win a National Title, was sure of it.  It didn't matter if it was Pagle or "Captain Comeback" under center.  My dad passed in '99 so he didn't get to see us win a Title but my Mother did get to see the big win even though she was sick with cancer she stated that it made her feel Wonderful to finally see her "Boys" win it all.  She passed latter that spring.  I decided that I was going to go all in and even though my Husband prefers to stay home and watch the games in his man cave, a friend of mine and I got season tickets together the last year in the old RCA Dome.  So us old Football Chicks are at every home game cheering on our "Boys".  My voice still isn't right from Sunday night WOOHOO!!!!  :disco: 

Your mother sounds awesome.  I wish I had known her because I'm sure I would have loved her.

New forum member, have been trolling for a while. Diehard Colts fan for quite some time....Grew up in Texas and was surrounded by Cowboys/Oilers fans but never really was a huge fan of either team. After moving to Indiana in the 90's started watching the Colts at family get togethers and was hooked! Through all the ups/down I have remained committed to the Colts, and have watched EVERY game. Have been to several home games and will be there tomorrow yelling my head off against the Rams!!!!

BTW... this forum really helps pass the time between games!!!

In 2000, I attended a seminar at Wolf Park in Battle Ground. I fell in love with Indiana and started following the Colts. I always wanted to move to Indiana but it was never in the cards for me. I went back a few more times for seminars. If I ever win the lottery, I will buy a house in The Battle Ground area and will be a Colts season ticket holder. I love the COLTS!

I want to welcome both of you to the forums.  :welcome:

And, I'm glad that both of you have decided to join us. 

Became a Colts fan when they moved to Indy.  Learned to love the team because of the character of the team, the players they draft and the class this organization always projects.  I'm a big fan of Jim Irsay.  Some find him eccentric because of his twitter's, but if you look beyond that, you will find a man who fought his battles and won them.  IMO, it all starts at the top, and we are very fortunate that Jim Irsay is the owner of the Colts. 

I live in Denmark, and the first game I ever saw was the Super Bowl win.. Needless to say I was in love with PM.

So is Dom Jones your favorite RB???

Dom should've been SB MVP he was huge in that game...

I've watched the Super Bowl win several times, but I don't remember much of the actual win the night of the game... The SB party I was at had a ridiculous amount of blue Jell-O shots... Started off everybody took a shot for every colt score, but by the second half it was a shot every first down, then the fourth quarter turned into a shot for every completed pass, every run, basically any play...

Man that night was awesome...

I have been watching the Colts since 1999.

My uncle showed me old tapes of Johnny Unitas and actively watched Colts game for many years. 

I can remember one of my favorite players was James Mungro growing up. I personally wanted him to start over Edge.

Also the 2004 Colts was definitely one of my favorite years of all time. That offense was definitely something else...

So is Dom Jones your favorite RB???

Dom should've been SB MVP he was huge in that game...

I've watched the Super Bowl win several times, but I don't remember much of the actual win the night of the game... The SB party I was at had a ridiculous amount of blue Jell-O shots... Started off everybody took a shot for every colt score, but by the second half it was a shot every first down, then the fourth quarter turned into a shot for every completed pass, every run, basically any play...

Man that night was awesome...

Rhodes?

I'm going to vote Orginizational appeal. Whenever i don't already have a favourite in a sports fixture i always go for the underdog. When i started wanting to follow the nfl the worst team (without a win at midseason) was the colts. I now know at the time that wasn't the case entirely but i started to follow for the rest of the season and just seemed like a good orginization so i continued to follow them. 

Wasn't the exact reason but it's close enough right?