Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Laron Landry was Freaking Fantastic Today.

Freeupfreeney

Okay, Luck took a lot of sacks, but I think it was because he didn't want to put up any picks on risky throws...smart plays, but it lead to a few too many 3 and outs in the 2nd half which gave Pryor all day to play Madden 2001 on us and run all about the field. 

If it were not for Laron Landry's speed and instinct, we would have been down 2 touchdowns before the 4th Quarter started. He was literally in on every play, running and playing his heart out. This guy is the saving grace of out D. That little extra effort allowed, chasing down the TE on the blown coverage and forcing 3rd and 4th downs chasing down pryor is what allowed us to get back in the game.

Props to Freeman, and Toler who also played extremely well.

Everyone says toler played well, but pryor had a good throwing day so... Did Vontae not play good or something? (i missed the second half)

Poor pass rush. But only due to Pryor's athletic ability. Matt Flynn starts? Been about a 3-5 sacks game for us. One play Pryor ran to the left then spun around and ran back to the right after making Cory Redding miss then completed a pass to D. Moore I believe, even out ran our 1st round pick Mr. Werner. Yeah, only an athletic QB could've done that.

Poor pass rush. But only due to Pryor's athletic ability. Matt Flynn starts? Been about a 3-5 sacks game for us. One play Pryor ran to the left then spun around and ran back to the right after making Cory Redding miss then completed a pass to D. Moore I believe, even out ran our 1st round pick Mr. Werner. Yeah, only an athletic QB could've done that.

Yes I would absolutely agree with this. It's hard to cover your man for ten seconds after the ball is snapped. I do give pryor a lot of credit for extending plays and making the most of his chances. Keep in my mind that the secondary has to cover their man while also watching the qb all while pryor is running around everywhere, which makes it especially difficult since we couldn't get any pressure on him all day.

Everyone says toler played well, but pryor had a good throwing day so... Did Vontae not play good or something? (i missed the second half)

Even a great secondary can't stay locked on receivers when a quarterback has a lot of time. Pryor gave his receivers extra time with his feet and elusiveness. 

A lot of the problem with pass coverage was that Pryor was throwing short underneath routes before the safeties could replace the LB in coverage. We did not handle Pryor's designed runs or read options well. At first, I thought that Landry was shadowing Pryor.....wasn't the case. I assume I thought that because the LB was chasing McFadden every time.

I didn't want to start a new topic so I'll ask here:

Did Davis get thrown at at all today?

I didn't see one pass thrown his way now that you bring it up. He missed a tackle or two in the run game but never remember him batting a pass or tackling his receiver. Correct me if I'm wrong

I don't think Toler played that well.  He gave too much cushion and lost his guy when Pryor scrambled on a few plays.  Overall though, the entire secondary played pretty good considering they had to cover guys for so long during each play.

Davis played well, as usual.

Yeah out of all the newcomers on the defense Landry looks like the one worth the money and to some extent Toler. Kind of hard to hold a receiver and come up to support the run on a qb who is pretty much freelancing. Both are upgrades from last year. As far as the others hope they aren't judged by this game....

Landry played great today, but I'd prefer him being moved to SS and Bethea back to FS.

I believe our defense was not as bad as it looked sometimes. Our problem was that Pryor and his quickness caught us unprepared. We had no real problem to defend the pass game and we contained their running game too - except Pryor. We won the game eventually, so no need to push the panic button. Instead, I see this as a change to prepare petter for the other dual threat QB-s we will face. Now we have a game on tape which we can use to learn from. Let's go back to the film room and fix what needs to be fixed.

Landry played great today, but I'd prefer him being moved to SS and Bethea back to FS.

I believe our defense was not as bad as it looked sometimes. Our problem was that Pryor and his quickness caught us unprepared. We had no real problem to defend the pass game and we contained their running game too - except Pryor. We won the game eventually, so no need to push the panic button. Instead, I see this as a change to prepare petter for the other dual threat QB-s we will face. Now we have a game on tape which we can use to learn from. Let's go back to the film room and fix what needs to be fixed.

I realize this is kinda not important in the grand scheme but... Landry was at fs? Why would we do that?

He also managed to run out of at least 3 mathis tackles in the backfield that I saw personally. Kid has wicked acceleration.

Okay, Luck took a lot of sacks, but I think it was because he didn't want to put up any picks on risky throws...smart plays, but it lead to a few too many 3 and outs in the 2nd half which gave Pryor all day to play Madden 2001 on us and run all about the field. 

If it were not for Laron Landry's speed and instinct, we would have been down 2 touchdowns before the 4th Quarter started. He was literally in on every play, running and playing his heart out. This guy is the saving grace of out D. That little extra effort allowed, chasing down the TE on the blown coverage and forcing 3rd and 4th downs chasing down pryor is what allowed us to get back in the game.

Props to Freeman, and Toler who also played extremely well.

I thought bethea played great today and so did Reggie

Landry is a Beast !! 15 tackles !  toler played ok  nice pick in first   one guy who really look shaky to me was darius butler  just didnt look sharp  really need Werner walden or mathis really step up the pass rush  mathis looked like he was getting held all day long !

I thought I was the only one who noticed the holding. The refs sure didn't see it. 

I thought I was the only one who noticed the holding. The refs sure didn't see it. 

I think they just ignored it.  The one that really got me was on the fourth and one play when Mathis was being pulled out of the play by tackle with his arm around Mathis's throat and Mathis had his arms up in the air right in front of the refs and no flag came out.  This crew was pretty bad.  Their DBs were holding our WRs all day as well even the TV announcers pointed that out and they NEVER point out a ref not calling things.  Then the no call when the DB ran into Hilton was just a joke.  I am sure they missed some against the Colts as well so it was both ways but still it was bad.  I said last year and I really believe this the only difference between these guys and the replacement guys is that the media wanted the replacement refs mistakes to be a story so they focused on it.