Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay Defines Class In The NFL: (Blue Crew) (merge)

Restored

http://indy.st/10Z8MlO

This is why Jim Irsay is one of the best owners in the league. People can try to dog him for whatever reason but there isn't an owner in the league that's as connected and caring with his fan base as Jim Irsay is. He has learned from his fathers mistake and built this team the right way with the right people. Couldn't be more proud to be a Colts fan.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why Jim Irsay is one of the best owners in the league. People can try to dog him for whatever reason but there isn't an owner in the league that's as connected and caring with his fan base as Jim Irsay is. He has learned from his fathers mistake and built this team the right way with the right people. Couldn't be more proud to be a Colts fan.

I am a lifetime Colts fan from back in the Baltimore days in the mid fifties but the only class Jim Irsay represents in my mind is third class. The way he treated Peyton Manning only enforced that image in my mind. It is catching up with him. He no longer has a waiting list for season tickets. I will agree with you that he was smart enough to get out of the football business and let experts run the team....

I am a lifetime Colts fan from back in the Baltimore days in the mid fifties but the only class Jim Irsay represents in my mind is third class. The way he treated Peyton Manning only enforced that image in my mind. It is catching up with him. He no longer has a waiting list for season tickets. I will agree with you that he was smart enough to get out of the football business and let experts run the team....

Oh no, it's Old Crow 2.

Wow I know this road has been down before but you do know that the decision was Peyton and Jim not just Jim right?

troll.jpg?w=500

"I've got a key in my pocket."

Okay, Blue & Gold...... you're either a Rams fan or a ND fan

And Irsay didn't treat Peyton bad. They came to an agreement that it was best to split cause Peyton wasn't on board with us taking Luck and making him ride the bench. And neither was history on board cause Idk any #1 overall QB that rode the bench their 1st year

You are kidding me right? Irsay treated Peyton with the utmost respect. It took the most EXTREME circumstances for Peyton to be released. I would of bet the house that had the Colts gotten the third pick or higher, Peyton would still be a Colt. Irsay really had no choice. If you want to blame someone, blame Bill Polian for not having the right insurance policy for Peyton in place.

You make no valid points to show how Irsay hasn't done the best he can do for this fan base and city. He is vastly different from the tyrant ways of his father. Would you rather have Jerry Jones running this team? Ill let that one set in.

You are kidding me right? Irsay treated Peyton with the utmost respect. It took the most EXTREME circumstances for Peyton to be released. I would of bet the house that had the Colts gotten the third pick or higher, Peyton would still be a Colt. Irsay really had no choice. If you want to blame someone, blame Bill Polian for not having the right insurance policy for Peyton in place.

You make no valid points to show how Irsay hasn't done the best he can do for this fan base and city. He is vastly different from the tyrant ways of his father. Would you rather have Jerry Jones running this team? Ill let that one set in.

I'm a :colts: fan for life, but if Jerry Jones was to EVER........ EV-EV-EV-EV-EV-EVER!!!! Take over this team, I might just take that L, resign as a fan and be done with football forever

Completely Agree.

Okay, Blue & Gold...... you're either a Rams fan or a ND fan

And Irsay didn't treat Peyton bad. They came to an agreement that it was best to split cause Peyton wasn't on board with us taking Luck and making him ride the bench. And neither was history on board cause Idk any #1 overall QB that rode the bench their 1st year

The infamous Jamarcus Russell didn't start until the final game of his rookie year as #1 overall pick

I actually remember Irsay chocked up as he drove Peyton to the airport. Irsay definitely had the utmost respect for Peyton. They reached a concensus together that this business decision was needed for the benefit of the Colt's organization.

@1:09 When the reporter asks if they're both happy, Irsay just looks down and has nothing to say. Peyton then interjects that they're both fine, but even Peyton looks like he's forcing a smile.

Btw, how many owners do you know personally drives their players around?

I'm glad the bar doesn't have to close, and I'm glad Irsay is kind enough to step into ordeals like this.

When you fall into the type of money Jim did though you should be obligated to be charitable.

Not really in my opinion, He did not ask to fall into that money, Its great that he does alot of the things he does with the community and such but just because he is loaded with money dont mean he is obligated to be payin others debts, Its great that he does though of course but obligayed? Hardly, He did it because thats the kind of person he is, not from some sense of obligation

I am a lifetime Colts fan from back in the Baltimore days in the mid fifties but the only class Jim Irsay represents in my mind is third class. The way he treated Peyton Manning only enforced that image in my mind. It is catching up with him. He no longer has a waiting list for season tickets. I will agree with you that he was smart enough to get out of the football business and let experts run the team.

And exactly which Manning/Irsay meeting did you sit in on?  You worry about the dirty birds in Baltimore; feel free to forget the Colts and something that happened 29 years ago... and we promise to forget you.

I have to say, the way he treated Manning was pretty much as good or better than any player has even been treated by his team's owner.  Peyton practically has the keys to Irsay's house.  The "divorce" was something neither wanted, but the situation pretty much dictated that it had to happen.  While they did have a way out, they'd have been making one of the biggest mistakes a franchise ever made.

As for it catching up to him... um, you did watch this last season, right?  Ya know, the season where we went 11-5 without Manning?  If that is the definition of it catching up to him, then I hope it continues to catch up to him.

Yeesh, Irsay, while he may have an itchy twitter finger, has to be one of the few owners that truly sets up a family like atmosphere between himself and his front office.  Back in the Polian days it was all roses and rainbows.  But when it fell apart, he moved on like he should have, for the betterment of the franchise.  And in the Peyton days, there were plenty of roses and rainbows.  But when he held the #1 overall selection with the best QB available since John Elway (or whatever they were saying), he moved on like he should have, for the betterment of the franchise.  As much as I wanted to see Peyton stay, I feel like he made the right decision for the long term future of his team.

So whatever you seem to be thinking of, seems to be a complete miss IMO.  I've yet to see anything catch up to Irsay in a bad way.  The worst thing that happened to him was Peyton going out for a year, and he managed to turn that around quite quickly.

3rd class?  Are you kidding.  Take your blinders off and take a look around.  Spares no expense.  Loved Peyton Manning.  Honest with his fan base.  Open about transactions.  Had the Kahunas to sweep the Polians away when things were getting stale and nepotistic.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

I'm very pleased to have Irsay as the Colts owner.  I consider him to be one of the best owners in the NFL.

Irsay has also demonstrated a trait of generosity over the years.

That said. In this case he's making a donation to essentially maintain a satellite Colts' fan club.  Any decent Colts fan club is in the best financial interest of the franchise.

I feel ur pain - but unfortunately I have to tell you ur waaaay off on blaming the owner for the Peyton release. Irsay didnt IR Peyton knowing he wasnt going to play allowing Peyton a 20M payday in a year he didnt touch the field. Thats not the actions of a snake. Peyton would be a Colt if Peyton wanted to be.

Look at how it worked out for everyone involved - you cant believe this is all luck do you.

It just wasn't a smart business decision to keep Peyton and try to put together a team for a short 3 to 5 year window of trying to win a SB and then go to being a sucky team for a while until they can bring in a QB when you are sitting with the #1 pick and Andrew Luck and 15 years or more of QB excellence is sitting right there for you to have.

It's a business decision and it's not like he was leaving Peyton Manning on the street begging for spare change.  Even if Peyton didn't get a single contract offer and had to retire, he would have been just fine.  

It sucks but all things come to an end.  

I feel ur pain - but unfortunately I have to tell you ur waaaay off on blaming the owner for the Peyton release. Irsay didnt IR Peyton knowing he wasnt going to play allowing Peyton a 20M payday in a year he didnt touch the field. Thats not the actions of a snake. Peyton would be a Colt if Peyton wanted to be.

Look at how it worked out for everyone involved - you cant believe this is all luck do you.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the players still collect their salary while they are on IR.  It wouldn't have made a difference in terms of Peyton's play.  My understanding was they kept him active on the chance that maybe his neck heals and he can play sometime that season.  

I think it also allowed Manning to be on the sidelines for the games.  If he was on IR I don't think that is allowed.