Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do we re-sign Powers?

AllYouNeedIsLuck

Unlike others, I still see him as a solid CB in this league and a decent #2 behind Vontae. Should we resign him or find CB's via free agency or draft (CB is thin this year besides a raw Rhodes and Banks) ?

Powers doesn't need to be on this team haven't u guys had enough of these injury prone undersized slow out matched soft players from the polian era , this is not even I mean 1% chance I would bring him back unless it's for the league minimum

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Powers is an ok zone corner but a poor man cover corner, he's injury prone and will command more money than Butler.

I think we could get better and fitter CBs in free agency for cheaper and could also draft better corners in the later rounds of the draft.

Sign Butler for nickel and let Powers go and replace him.

Powers must use his powers to clinch his spot on the roster.

He was injured frequently, and as injury bug bugs the team too often, I don't know we can afford to use a spot on a player who keeps ending up his season on IR.

I'm rather a fence-sitter in this question. CB is neuralgic spot for Colts and we need a reliable quality CB-mate for Vontae on turf. He may worth to be kept as depth.

Why would we resign a guy just to watch him land on the IR for the 5th year in a row? There is a place for Powers and its on the FA market waiting for some team that suffered multiple injuries to a couple of there Corners to sign him hoping that he can come in and be serviceable only to find out he will get picked on when they do sign him

Depends on the money we're talking but I wouldn't really feel happy with him at #2. He's got the ability, but wrong scheme and he's missed a lot of football with injures, albeit not ones with long term  knock on effects. As a nickel back maybe a bit better but I like what Butler can offer us there and then you're talking a lot of $$ for a dime back. 

In a strange way I think if Vaughan had stepped up a bit more and the need for a corner wasn't so glaring he might have stood a better chance of getting resigned under a "it will do" mentality, given the needs elsewhere and lack of picks. However as our secondary was embarrassed quite frequently we all know corner is going to be a big focus for Grigson. If we bring in a decent #2 from FA, and/or draft a solid looking prospect I think he's gone. 

Powers was by far better than any CB on our roster b4 adding Davis and Butler.  I actually was thinking he played well before getting hurt this year.  I think that IF, thats a big IF, we think he is 100% and would stay healthy then we absolutely resign him.   I feel this one is more of a health issue than skill set.  

In today's NFL it seems we need 4 or 5 CBs that are all, lets say, better than C Vaughn.

The last game I was at (Texans @ LOS) Powers was on the sideline, and for the first quarter I thought the little guy was just an equipment guy or something. Then I finally realized who was holding the clipboard.

If we can't resign him for next to nothing, then peace out. He's ok for depth, but if he's a starter he'll just get hurt....for the 4th year in a row.

Unlike others, I still see him as a solid CB in this league and a decent #2 behind Vontae. Should we resign him or find CB's via free agency or draft (CB is thin this year besides a raw Rhodes and Banks) ?

why would u waste money on an undersize injury prone slow corner he has to many lower body injurys so unless its for the league min he needs to be gone

Aside from his injury problems, I still like Powers. Not as a starter, and not as the #2 corner, but in a role in the nickel. In this role, he will not be on the field as much and injury issues would be less of a problem, and less likely. He is still a good tackler. In-fact, our secodary, for the most part, tackled well.

Overall, I do think that another team will offer him more and we'll move on.

Powers was by far better than any CB on our roster b4 adding Davis and Butler.  I actually was thinking he played well before getting hurt this year.  I think that IF, thats a big IF, we think he is 100% and would stay healthy then we absolutely resign him.   I feel this one is more of a health issue than skill set.  

In today's NFL it seems we need 4 or 5 CBs that are all, lets say, better than C Vaughn.

I thought he played well early on, and then his play tailed off for a couple weeks, and then he got hurt.

Powers is more of a Tampa 2 DB isnt he?? not to mention he spends more time hurt then he does on the field.

Powers was atypical of Colts defensive back draft picks. He was more of a speed and coverage guy, not a good tackler (which is needed in Tampa 2) and more of a man cover guy. Scouting reports did not have him listed as a true cover 2 corner. I think last year was a step back and while he got beat a bit, he made some big plays. He desreves another chance. Oh.....durability was a noted weakness in his profile.

Powers was atypical of Colts defensive back draft picks. He was more of a speed and coverage guy, not a good tackler (which is needed in Tampa 2) and more of a man cover guy. Scouting reports did not have him listed as a true cover 2 corner. I think last year was a step back and while he got beat a bit, he made some big plays. He desreves another chance. Oh.....durability was a noted weakness in his profile.

I would only sign him if he's willing to be reasonable. He is not worth the big dollar but I would sign him for the right price. His biggest drawback, in my opinion, is his lack of durability.

#colts HC Chuck Pagano on CB Jerraud Powers: 'He's a heck of a football player and we’d love to re-sign him and have him back.'

Pagano on Powers: 'Keeping my fingers crossed...playing for us. If he’s not, he’s going to be playing for somebody and playing good football

Well I guess I'm just kind of confirming what Coltswarriors just said. Looks like he will be back.

Powers is a pure Zone Corner and a below average one at that

I think you are way off base. He played mostly man at Auburn and had to switch to the zone cover scheme when the Colts drafted him. Oddly enough, his best year was his rookie season. Also, Bill Polian commented at the beginning of the year when we switched to the 3-4 that Powers was the only CB on the roster who could play man. But, maybe you know something BP and his Auburn coaches don't...

#colts HC Chuck Pagano on CB Jerraud Powers: 'He's a heck of a football player and we’d love to re-sign him and have him back.'

Pagano on Powers: 'Keeping my fingers crossed...playing for us. If he’s not, he’s going to be playing for somebody and playing good football

Well I guess I'm just kind of confirming what Coltswarriors just said. Looks like he will be back.

This is why I have been saying I keep getting the vibe from the Colts  that they want to keep him.

With that said personally I don't think he fits the defense and you can't just ignore his injury issues.  I keep having flash backs to the Browns game when they showed the highlight video of him getting burned all year long.  I think we could get someone better in free agency. 

I hope we keep him. I still remember making it a point to watch him each time I went to training camp this past season. He was far and beyond the biggest stand out of the corners (this was before Davis). Give him a clean bill of health and another off-season to get acclimated to the system, and I'd be happy to have him back if even if he does end up as CB #3.

Edit: For the right price of course. ;)

I think you are way off base. He played mostly man at Auburn and had to switch to the zone cover scheme when the Colts drafted him. Oddly enough, his best year was his rookie season. Also, Bill Polian commented at the beginning of the year when we switched to the 3-4 that Powers was the only CB on the roster who could play man. But, maybe you know something BP and his Auburn coaches don't...

He was average at best at Auburn, nothing great in Man, As of today he is our #2 Corner in a Man cover scheme and he clearly lacks recovery speed, ask yourself, Do I want Powers as my number 2 Corner? I think he is a pure Zone Corner 

He was average at best at Auburn, nothing great in Man, As of today he is our #2 Corner in a Man cover scheme and he clearly lacks recovery speed, ask yourself, Do I want Powers as my number 2 Corner? I think he is a pure Zone Corner 

I didn't watch his Auburn tape but did note at the time that he had mixed draft profiles as far as his college production and pro potential (but most agreed he could play both zone and man). That being said, I have seen promising flashes as a Colt in both man and zone, but he does lack consistency whether it be mental, injury, or both. If we do resign him, and it sounds like they plan on it, I would like him as the #3. He is a vet who could provide quality depth and start if injury dictated it. Davis, Rookie/FA pick-up, Powers, and Butler would be a nice 1-4 in my mind. We can't expect to have every player on the roster have an A grade...

I didn't watch his Auburn tape but did note at the time that he had mixed draft profiles as far as his college production and pro potential (but most agreed he could play both zone and man). That being said, I have seen promising flashes as a Colt in both man and zone, but he does lack consistency whether it be mental, injury, or both. If we do resign him, and it sounds like they plan on it, I would like him as the #3. He is a vet who could provide quality depth and start if injury dictated it. Davis, Rookie/FA pick-up, Powers, and Butler would be a nice 1-4 in my mind. We can't expect to have every player on the roster have an A grade...

Maybe he would be better in the nickel, I dont know, I just know I dont want him as my #2 but thats th other thing, every year he has landed on the IR 

found om Rotoworld.

Jerraud Powers - DB - Colts

According to the Union-Tribune San Diego, the Chargers "look to be considering a run" at free agent CB Jerraud Powers.

Both of the Chargers' incumbent starting cornerbacks (Antoine Cason, Quentin Jammer) are free agents, and Powers played in a defensive scheme similar to Chargers DC John Pagano's under Pagano's brother, Chuck, in Indianapolis last season. Powers is a talented 25-year-old who's mostly underachieved to this point in his career. He's not likely to break the bank in free agency.

found om Rotoworld.

Jerraud Powers - DB - Colts

According to the Union-Tribune San Diego, the Chargers "look to be considering a run" at free agent CB Jerraud Powers.

Both of the Chargers' incumbent starting cornerbacks (Antoine Cason, Quentin Jammer) are free agents, and Powers played in a defensive scheme similar to Chargers DC John Pagano's under Pagano's brother, Chuck, in Indianapolis last season. Powers is a talented 25-year-old who's mostly underachieved to this point in his career. He's not likely to break the bank in free agency.

Makes sense, with Telesco running the show down there. Just as much sense as the Colts being linked to Vasquez.

Chap on Grady and Big Joe Show...   

He spoke with Pags and Grigs and he thinks the Colts will almost certainly resign Pat Mac, Fili, and Powers....   

Segment 3

http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2160

Chap has been leading the choir on this one.  I am not sure if he knows something other don't or if he's just going off his gut.  With that said, there is a case to bringing Powers back.  He is a young corner that up to last year played really well for us.  To the point that up till last year people were saying he was a MUST re-sign.  So I can see why the Colts are going to think this threw and see if they really want to let him go.  It could be Powers was struggling with picking up a new D and will do better now that he has a year under his belt.  Also, I think the Colts value his leadership.  They talked about how he was coaching up the other CBs after he went out hurt last year and how that was a help. 

Personally I am concerned about his injury history but I am not going to be blown away if we re-sign him either.