Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do we re-sign Powers?

AllYouNeedIsLuck

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first thoughts on JP after the season were "let him go"..

But, honestly...    if he is willing to come back for a "reasonable" number then Indy should do it.    He is still young.   He has been productive.   And he stated with the team even after his injury.     I think he wants to be here so if the physical checks out sign him up. 

If Indy could get a healthy Powers then DB is not nearly the "need" we think it is.

Unlike others, I still see him as a solid CB in this league and a decent #2 behind Vontae. Should we resign him or find CB's via free agency or draft (CB is thin this year besides a raw Rhodes and Banks) ?

I have no idea how Pagano feels he fits this defense. You also have the injury issue that clouds the situation. So I really don't have a strong opinion of whether or not we should. For sure no at a big number , but at something at nickle CB pay .. I think he coul be back. My guess is he hunts a better deal in free agency

He is only 26...     Indy cut Tim Jennings loose also because he was not up to specs or whatever.... 

Powers has had injury issues but they have not been of the "major" variety...  

Honestly,  i hate to give up on him just to have dude walk away and "get it together" ...      somewhere else...

I say give him another look...   if it is "mutual" and cost friendly. 

Powers and cover receivers out of the slot, but not on the outside. Nickel/dime back only. during the coarse of the season you are going to need depth at the position with injuries and all, and he can provide that I just dont want him covering on the outside on an island

I think this is one of the big questions Grigson is trying to figure out.  I don't think he's going to re-sign here if he thinks or knows the Colts view him as anything less than a number two corner.  Remember he's a free agent so if he doesn't think he is going to be a starter here I think he'll see if he can find a team that will give him a shot as a number two corner. 

Also, based on how guys like Chap, and other Colts insiders have talked about Powers on the radio I don't think this is open and shut case that some Colts fans think it is.  I think that Grigson is still deciding if they are going to bring Powers back or not. 

why are we all forgetting the guy who had the most picks on our team last year. DARIUS BUTLER. i think he should be our #2.

It was either the Ravens or second Texans game where the announcers were talking about why Vaughn started over Butler and they said they really liked the match up Butler gave them in the nickel spots.  So I think the Colts like him as the nickel back.  I think they would either like to bring back Powers at the number two or go get one because they think Butler as the number three gives them match advantages. 

He is only 26... Indy cut Tim Jennings loose also because he was not up to specs or whatever....

Powers has had injury issues but they have not been of the "major" variety...

Honestly, i hate to give up on him just to have dude walk away and "get it together" ... somewhere else...

I say give him another look... if it is "mutual" and cost friendly.

Jennings was bad in our system. I hate to see someone leave and suddenly become good, but I'd rather him be good in a system he fits (Zone heavy scheme) than suck in ours.

Man was anyone hurt more by this past season than Powers and Angerer?  Two years ago they were viewed as two of the best players in our defense and now a year later fans can't wait for one to leave town and some have debated if Angerer should be brought back next year. 

I can easily see the case for Powers just fitting our defense and frankly that's where I am starting to lean because he was getting burned and was healthy early in the year.  I think I would rather start over with another corner and let Powers walk but again the sense I am getting from the Colts insiders is that the Colts haven't made that decision yet.

As for Angerer I don't think people realize how much that injury impacted him.  He was hurt on the first play of the pre-season and never fully healed and played on it to help the team.  Due to the injury he was limited on how many snaps he could play a game.  Fully healthy next year I fully expect him and Freeman to be the starting MLB's and for us to have a couple of beats at MLB.