Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nice Game Vonte Davis

dw49

Seemed like not too many receptions on his coverage. This will quite the naysayers for a week anyway. He looked to be well worth a 2nd round pick to me.....

Nothing special. Played WAY off on an early reception. Get back to game day condition young man! Davis will be fine...needs to get back in shape!

I kept waiting to hear his name today but dont recall hearing it at all. On one hand thats good because it means the ball is not coming his way on the other its bad because for a 2nd round pick I want to hear his name associated with making a big interception or something more often.

I was in a suite today. (Talking to the new owner of the Cleveland Browns his suite was next to ours)......what's nice being up there is we can see the play breakdown, and we have our own personal Tvs too. But what I noticed from up there was the Browns were going after Powers HARD. They lined up nearly every WR they had against him. Gordon, Cooper, Little. They all got over on him. Meanwhile Vonte by my count was targeted only 3 times. One he did miss the tackle but Freeman was right there to pick him up, and the last one he had a nice pass defensed down the sideline. Overall excellent game from a banged up Davis. Horrible game for Powers

I kept waiting to hear his name today but dont recall hearing it at all. On one hand thats good because it means the ball is not coming his way on the other its bad because for a 2nd round pick I want to hear his name associated with making a big interception or something more often.

Look at Nnamdi and Revis. You rarely hear of them getting the INT because the ball is never thrown their way. Just how it is.

Look at Nnamdi and Revis. You rarely hear of them getting the INT because the ball is never thrown their way. Just how it is.

Yeah I know...I am aware it is somewhat akin to wanting your cake and eating it too. But I don't think teams are afraid to throw Vontae's way just yet. He's not at that Revis/Nnamdi level. He's had opportunities where he has been challenged but hasn't really done anything too impressive thus far. Still if he isn't being called out for negative plays that is good for a corner but for a guy we traded a potentially high 2nd round pick for, I want to see him getting some picks soon.

Yeah I know...I am aware it is somewhat akin to wanting your cake and eating it too. But I don't think teams are afraid to throw Vontae's way just yet. He's not at that Revis/Nnamdi level. He's had opportunities where he has been challenged but hasn't really done anything too impressive thus far. Still if he isn't being called out for negative plays that is good for a corner but for a guy we traded a potentially high 2nd round pick for, I want to see him getting some picks soon.

I'm hearing he only had to defend 2 passes the whole game, that means the other team is afraid to throw it in his direction or he shutdown his man. Keeping in mind Weedon had a good game with 250 yards...

He's got to be thrown at more for that to happen. He had 3 targets today and only 1 was more than 6 yards. When QBs are throwing quick slants those are almost impossible to pick off. He's doing exactly what he was brought in to do which is take away one side of the field. Its now up to the other guys who do get targeted a bunch to get INTs. The odds of getting a 2nd round talent that gets the respect that Davis does from OC's is VERY LOW.

I was in a suite today. (Talking to the new owner of the Cleveland Browns his suite was next to ours)......what's nice being up there is we can see the play breakdown, and we have our own personal Tvs too. But what I noticed from up there was the Browns were going after Powers HARD. They lined up nearly every WR they had against him. Gordon, Cooper, Little. They all got over on him. Meanwhile Vonte by my count was targeted only 3 times. One he did miss the tackle but Freeman was right there to pick him up, and the last one he had a nice pass defensed down the sideline. Overall excellent game from a banged up Davis. Horrible game for Powers

Powers was similar to a rag doll today. The Jets went after him too last week with some success.

I'm hearing he only had to defend 2 passes the whole game, that means the other team is afraid to throw it in his direction or he shutdown his man. Keeping in mind Weedon had a good game with 250 yards...

He's got to be thrown at more for that to happen. He had 3 targets today and only 1 was more than 6 yards. When QBs are throwing quick slants those are almost impossible to pick off. He's doing exactly what he was brought in to do which is take away one side of the field. Its now up to the other guys who do get targeted a bunch to get INTs. The odds of getting a 2nd round talent that gets the respect that Davis does from OC's is VERY LOW.

Good points all. I guess I need to adjust my expectations somewhat.

I thought davis played a really good game today, he's physical against the run and physical with the recievers, hope he can continue to get comfortable and play to the level of his talent. If he continues to improve and play like he did today he's definetly worth the trade. He just needs more time in this scheme with this team and will only keep getting better.

Yeah definitely, but unfortunately it seems like all the Colts defensive players are struggling to get turnovers. So many close INTs this year, hopefully that will change as the season progresses and some will come our way. Hopefully some by Vontae.

Perhaps Vontae will show his true potential when Pagano gets back. Pagano seems to be inspiring to his defensive players. They love him and he loves them and gets the best out of them. He really hasn't had a chance to mentor Davis, but when he does I think it will pay dividends....attitude wise anyway.

Seemed like not too many receptions on his coverage. This will quite the naysayers for a week anyway. He looked to be well worth a 2nd round pick to me.....

yo vonte played well, but were we really missed vonte when he was hurt was his ability to tackle , to come up and hit the running back trying to bounce out

Guys, I honestly did not see anything special from Davis. I realize that sometimes when we do not hear his name he is not being abused. Coming off of injury I thought he looked slow...and needs a week to get back to game condition.

My hopes are that what was a 'good game' by Davis coming back with no apparent injury can lead to where we HEAR his name mentioned for some hits that cause turnovers, and maybe an INT or 2......I think when he gets heathy we will be smiling more than yesterday. Once again, not saying he did not play a good game, but he will be better when 100%. :highfive:

Guys, I honestly did not see anything special from Davis. I realize that sometimes when we do not hear his name he is not being abused. Coming off of injury I thought he looked slow...and needs a week to get back to game condition.

My hopes are that what was a 'good game' by Davis coming back with no apparent injury can lead to where we HEAR his name mentioned for some hits that cause turnovers, and maybe an INT or 2......I think when he gets heathy we will be smiling more than yesterday. Once again, not saying he did not play a good game, but he will be better when 100%. :highfive:

His name was most definitely mentioned by the brodcasters for a good play though. Not a bad one or blown coverage. ;)

His name was most definitely mentioned by the brodcasters for a good play though. Not a bad one or blown coverage. ;)

I am with ya.....not slamming Davis at all....I do think he had a good game.

I must admit...I am not much for the broadcasters....I often watch with the sound down to analyze on my own....or listen to the radio (which is behind satellite) then watch the plays and replays so I can see line play and secondary.....makes for some fun. I really despise being wrong on analysis...... :) Boy do I love Sundays!

Do you have some dirty pictures of Jim Irsay in order to get into a suite?

Hopefully this keeps up and we can get some solid CB play from the others. Still laughing at the love Cassius Vaughn was getting after one game, when he's totally sucked in every other game. :clap:

Well, you're laughing at me then and I deserve it. Was way too excited over Vaughn after that one good game. Last time I let my opptimistic side loose! :)

Do you have some dirty pictures of Jim Irsay in order to get into a suite?

Nope just lucked into having an amazing wife.

Haslem was in Lucas's suite. Watching him go bonkers was kind of cool. When Gordon dropped that TD he was livid. He was VERY animated the whole game.

I have Vontae on my Madden 12 Team (I've decided I'll be getting Madden 13 for Christmas)

He's my #1 CB & Nnamdi is my #2 (Pick up from FA's). It feels good that I can blitz a lot with these 2 shutting WR's down like it's Fun to them lol. Nnamdi gets the ball more than Davis though, but Davis leads the 2 with Picks having 5 to Nnamdi's 3