Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let Frank Gore Walk

Shadow_Creek

I read a couple of weeks ago that he says he really likes Indy and would like to play another year here.  I cannot recall the source from which I read this.  Thus, if I am ownership, if the GM agrees and if Gore can be signed for a reasonable price, I would grant him his wish and re-sign him.  He is a free agent, though, so it is of course his prerogative to explore opportunities elsewhere if he feels so inclined.

Just my opinion but I think the chances of Frank Gore coming back (while already not likely) took a hit with McDaniels coming on. I can see him trying to find another dynamic young or youngish RB to pair up with Mack (a FA guy like Deion Lewis, Isaiah Crowell, or a high upside 2n,3rd, or 4th rd bruiser RB from the draft). I think we see a 2 RB "committee" next year as McDaniels offenses are known to attack in multiple ways from the running back position (see white, blount, lewis, bulkhead). 

That being said, my personal feelings are that I just don't see much dynamic play with Frank Gore anymore. When he is in the game, he is essentially guaranteed to only be doing two things: pass-protect or running it inside. I prefer a more young guy that McDaniels can mold and pair up perfectly with Mack (could even start playing the "hot hand" type approach).

11 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I read a couple of weeks ago that he says he really likes Indy and would like to play another year here.  I cannot recall the source from which I read this.  Thus, if I am ownership, if the GM agrees and if Gore can be signed for a reasonable price, I would grant him his wish and re-sign him.  He is a free agent, though, so it is of course his prerogative to explore opportunities elsewhere if he feels so inclined.

Watch New England sign him...

I appreciate all that Frank Gore has done for the Colts. He is a class act. 

However, I would not re-sign him for 2018. It's time we look to get younger and more dynamic in the backfield. In 261 carries, Gore's longest run was for 21 yards. Last year, his longest run was 22 yards. That's not explosive. Gore is not a threat to break a long run, even when when the play has been well developed and blocked. Once he gets into the secondary, he is tackled. Gore averaged 3.7 yards per carry.

image.png.8fd64c06bc876e5226467eb89e79fc4e.png

In comparison, Mack had a longest run of 35 yards and averaged 3.8 yards per carry.

image.png.d30f734ca26709ce921f2e3e4a834843.png

14 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

And I read his choice was tied to andrew luck and the oline.

1 hour ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

If Frank is really wanting one last chance for a Super Bowl win then I would think that he would want to look at another team. Selfishly, I would love for Frank to come back to the Colts for one more season. He is a class act guy and still a productive player.

Yeah, we need about 53 Frank Gore's on our team we would never lose a game. 

Wouldn't hurt to keep a good veteran leader around IMO...

I still think Reggie was let go a year too early, (no one will ever convince me that he would've been less productive than Andre Johnson during that season). I also feel that letting Reggie go played, at least a symbolic role, in the seeming demise of the Colts locker room. Not to mention taking away  Reggie's ability to retire a Colt, as well as offending the football gods...

Anyways, regardless of what goes down in the draft, I think keeping Gore around on a one year team friendly deal is at least worth the offer...

Assuming Gore still has enough in the tank to share carries with younger backs, he seems to have the character, attitude & work ethic you would want to reward, especially in the case of the Colts where a little mending & damage control from the follies of the Grigson era could help the overall outlook of the franchise...

But that's just my two cents...

4 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

2018 might be Gores last chance for a Superbowl and if we were to resign him it would be a huge disappointment. He deserves a contender team, and not a team that's just in the process of catching there second wind. Thoughts?

Glad your already counting the Colts out next year.   That's the spirit

I think people are underestimating the effect Gore has on Mack.  Mack played his best ball when defenses were sick and tired of getting gored (pun intended) by Gore.

I would love to see McDaniels use Gore here the way he used Blount in New England.

And for those of you who think McDaniels won't pound the rock when it's appropriate, I take you back to the AFCCG (and didn't Blount have a similar performance against us in the RS?).

I would love to see McDaniels line up Gore and Mack together.  Luck fakes to Gore up the middle while Mack runs out to take a (fake) pitch - who's left to cover the receivers?

19 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Glad your already counting the Colts out next year.   That's the spirit

Even with luck back there's still a good number of pieces we need before our team can be contenders. plus this next draft is still not going to solve all our issues. Id rather gore walk now than redirect our attention away from getting a new running back for the future. we've made that mistake way to many times now dating back to grigs choosing to trade for Richardson instead of taking a qualified back 2nd or 3rd round in the draft.

36 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Even with luck back there's still a good number of pieces we need before our team can be contenders. plus this next draft is still not going to solve all our issues. Id rather gore walk now than redirect our attention away from getting a new running back for the future. we've made that mistake way to many times now dating back to grigs choosing to trade for Richardson instead of taking a qualified back 2nd or 3rd round in the draft.

Ok.  Fine....  but to say he needs to not be picked up because he deserves better is stupid 

I think the decision on bringing Frank back is made after the draft regardless of whether we get Barkely or not.

Once Frank sees what the situation is in Indy then he can make an informed decision.  He will have less

carries in 2018 so it's up to him to decide if he can mentally handle the reduced role.

If we do bring in Barkely then his role is greatly reduced as the kids will probably get the bulk of the load.

Does he really want to be 3rd in line in the offensive scheme?

Would love to have him as a RB coach if no one decides to pick him up.  Teaching the kids how to keep their

bodies and minds in NFL shape is a value that can't be overlooked.

3 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I think the decision on bringing Frank back is made after the draft regardless of whether we get Barkely or not.

Once Frank sees what the situation is in Indy then he can make an informed decision.  He will have less

carries in 2018 so it's up to him to decide if he can mentally handle the reduced role.

If we do bring in Barkely then his role is greatly reduced as the kids will probably get the bulk of the load.

Does he really want to be 3rd in line in the offensive scheme?

Would love to have him as a RB coach if no one decides to pick him up.  Teaching the kids how to keep their

bodies and minds in NFL shape is a value that can't be overlooked.

Gore is not going to wait until after the draft to make a decision...  he is not going to sit around and wait.....  :facepalm:

3 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

IF no one offers him anything before the draft he's going to retire?  How do you know that?

Not that unlikely to be honest. He'd go out what, 4th all-time rusher, & pretty much a shoe in for the HOF? If no one calls him by the end of April, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he hung em up and took on a coaching role somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Not that unlikely to be honest. He'd go out what, 4th all-time rusher, & pretty much a shoe in for the HOF? If no one calls him by the end of April, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he hung em up and took on a coaching role somewhere.

Could very well happen.  I'm just not so sure that he wouldn't stay in shape and think that one injury could put

him back in the league.  He seems the type that would hold out all hope, but that's just my gut feeling and I could

be COMPLETELY out of all sanity here.

Love Frank but I honestly hope he retires.  Nothing else to prove.  And if he does go somewhere and get a ring chances are he won't have that huge of an impact, which is what he said he doesn't want.

Walk away Frank and you'll still be in the HOF.

6 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Wouldn't hurt to keep a good veteran leader around IMO...

I still think Reggie was let go a year too early, (no one will ever convince me that he would've been less productive than Andre Johnson during that season). I also feel that letting Reggie go played, at least a symbolic role, in the seeming demise of the Colts locker room. Not to mention taking away  Reggie's ability to retire a Colt, as well as offending the football gods...

Anyways, regardless of what goes down in the draft, I think keeping Gore around on a one year team friendly deal is at least worth the offer...

Assuming Gore still has enough in the tank to share carries with younger backs, he seems to have the character, attitude & work ethic you would want to reward, especially in the case of the Colts where a little mending & damage control from the follies of the Grigson era could help the overall outlook of the franchise...

But that's just my two cents...

I feel exactly the same way about Reggie Wayne.  It still irks me that they didn’t give him that final year he wanted.  Especially when he stayed on in 2012 on a team friendly deal and proceeded to have arguably his best season.   Completely agree with you, including your comments about Gore. Well said, Buck.

The fact that Mack’s receiving isn’t a sure thing means McDaniels will have to get a true receiving back.  Unless Mack works all off season on his receiving...  If he has to go get someone, that could make Gore’s spot tenuous. But I would leave it totally up to McDaniels. If he wants Gore back and thinks that he can use him, then bring him back...  

One thing is for sure though, Gore will have the highest IQ in our backfield and be able to hit the holes like Josh would expect. I wouldn’t be shocked to see McDaniels bring him back if for nothing else to be his closer and mentor to Mack.  

But it really seems like Josh is all about exploiting matchups and being able to catch and make people miss in space will be critical...  We’ve seen what Kamara & Hunt did this season.  Josh will want a guy that eats linebackers alive on those wheel routes and can catch it when thrown to them.

If Ballard wants to bring Gore back as an insurance policy,  but NOT as a starter,  then I'm OK with that.

3rd or 4th string behind whoever we pick-up in the draft and/or FA plus Mack and Turbin.      That's fine.

But otherwise, I'm ok if we don't bring him back.     But I would like to do one thing with Gore.....

I'd like to make it completely clear that when he's ready to become a coach,  we want him to be a coach with the Indianapolis Colts.      We will make room for him.      If we already have a RB coach,  then we'll hire Gore to be the assistant RB coach.        A good team can always find room for a quality person like Frank Gore.    You can't have enough Frank Gore's in a locker-room,  even as a coach.     

When his playing career is over,  let's make sure his coaching career starts right here in Indianapolis!      :colts:

If Gore wants to play in Indy next season I think Ballard makes it happen. This is based on hearing Ballard talk about Gore and how his love of the game impacts the locker room. What his role would be that would be up to the new staff.  

I don't think Frank is ready to hang them up but he may want to play for a team that's expected to challenge for a championship. Gore may feel like a healthy Luck gives him as good a shot as anywhere. Things didn't work out for him the last time he went to a team that was supposed to be on the verge. 

32 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am curious as to why Christine Michael hasn't been mentioned?  The Colts thought well enough of him to put and keep him on IR. He looked very good at times with Seahawks.

meh i think he was under the old management selection idea of pags and chud so unless we bring in new blood this free agency i don't see him back here.

DEFINITELY make an offer to Gore. He is a class act, and is a great presence in the locker room. 

It's his choice who he plays for, but I certainly want to see him stay with the Colts. 

Even if he leaves, I will root for him to keep climbing up the record books wherever he goes. Love that dude. 

5 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

If you can manage it, you sign him. He's not 26 any more, but he's playing well enough at this age, I'd keep him until he's no good, assuming he's not ready to retire.  If he doesn't show well in camp cut him and eat the loss. I'd be ok with that.

we have plenty of cap space

it might sound crazy now, but it may even be difficult to spend it all on guys that deserve it

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Ballard wants to bring Gore back as an insurance policy,  but NOT as a starter,  then I'm OK with that.

3rd or 4th string behind whoever we pick-up in the draft and/or FA plus Mack and Turbin.      That's fine.

But otherwise, I'm ok if we don't bring him back.     But I would like to do one thing with Gore.....

I'd like to make it completely clear that when he's ready to become a coach,  we want him to be a coach with the Indianapolis Colts.      We will make room for him.      If we already have a RB coach,  then we'll hire Gore to be the assistant RB coach.        A good team can always find room for a quality person like Frank Gore.    You can't have enough Frank Gore's in a locker-room,  even as a coach.     

When his playing career is over,  let's make sure his coaching career starts right here in Indianapolis!      :colts:

I was listening to Steven Holder the other day and he was saying, although Gore would be a great coach and leader for the locker room, he would be an even better scout.  He has an uncanny knack in knowing who is, and who is not a "football player", in Gore's words.

I suppose with a proper "football guy" like Frank Gore, you could put him anywhere in an organisation and he would excel.