Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft grade

CR91

Throughout most of his time in the NFL, Andrew Luck has had little choice but to attempt to win high-scoring games, as the Colts defense was unable to slow down anyone. Addressing the defense was clearly the top priority for first-year general manager Chris Ballard, who found a falling star in Malik Hooker to give the Colts a potentially dominant center fielder and a highly physical press cornerback in Quincy Wilson in the second round to complement Vontae Davis. MAC Defensive Player of the Year and Senior Bowl standout Tarell Basham will outplay his selection at No. 80 overall, and an offensive line known more for its passivity will get a jolt of size, power and exuberance with the massive Zach Banner, a future starter. Marlon Mack adds juice to the backfield still reliant upon Frank Gore, and the Colts nabbed one of the more intriguing sleepers in big man Grover Stewart. Hooker must clean up his aggressive pursuit angles, but this is one of the year's best draft classes on paper.

Grade: A

From CBS

3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The grade should be given to what it did for the individual team as opposed to comparing it to other team drafts. Cleveland, SF and Houston did the most to help themselves. The Colts I thought, did a very smart  job of filling holes.

No matter who they drafted, they would be filling holes. Our team was that bad and devoid of elite talent. Drafting BPA looks genius now because doing that fixed the secondary and filled a lot of other holes as well. It was those stupid 3rd compensatory picks that kept us from getting even better than we did, as they added 12 extra picks between the 3rd and 4th round, and cost us someone we wanted at the very least (hence the trade down). I think needs were filled, but also going BPA. It was an A to A- draft that should be very good.

Hooker, Mack and Basham = A+ and A & A

They can instantly contribute and make a difference from day 1 and some very good picks.

Wilson = B+

I like the pick, but there were other players I liked better than him at #46.

But we need a stud corner, and I hope he can become one for us.

"Bruce" (Zach) Banner = C

He's big, but I'm not sold on this pick.

Grover Stewart = C

Again a pick that I dont really know what to expect from. He has great upside, but I'm not entirely sold on this pick.

Nate Hairston and Walker Jr. = C-

Players for competition 

1 hour ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Hooker, Mack and Basham = A+ and A & A

They can instantly contribute and make a difference from day 1 and some very good picks.

Wilson = B+

I like the pick, but there were other players I liked better than him at #46.

But we need a stud corner, and I hope he can become one for us.

"Bruce" (Zach) Banner = C

He's big, but I'm not sold on this pick.

Grover Stewart = C

Again a pick that I dont really know what to expect from. He has great upside, but I'm not entirely sold on this pick.

Nate Hairston and Walker Jr. = C-

Players for competition 

Hooker and Basham A+ Wilson A- Banner B- Stewart I would agree and say c cause I never heard of him Hairston alone I say c cause he hasn't been a DB for very long and Walker Jr. C+ overall grade A-

The first 2 days went very well Hooker and Basham fell right in our lap. Ballard snagged them. Wilson was solid and filled a big need. He had first round hype before the combine. He was sort the forgotten guy. 

The 4th and specifically the Banner pick not so excited about. H. Wilson CB and Wise were on the board. I liked both was very high on Wilson 126. We move up 7 spots Lawson Johnson and Gedeon are in play. Gedeon is another guy I really liked at 120.

Mack was the guy I thought we should get after Hunt was gone. Jones would have been fine too. Stewart is a guy I like with pass rush potential not surprised Ballard had an eye on him. 

Walker is ok if he can find the right weight and Hairston is a good add. It is disappointing knowing it could have been Wilson. The Banner pick tossed a monkey wrench in for me and I was calling for help on the OL. I don't think he has a future at LT or is going inside a 6'8 strange selection from my perspective. 

This draft grade should be nothing but an A. Ballard got some players who will contribute right away and some players that will be for depth and contribution down the road. Nothing to be mad about with this draft. Colts are in great hands for years to come. This is just the beginning

1 minute ago, Luck is Good said:

This draft grade should be nothing but an A. Ballard got some players who will contribute right away and some players that will be for depth and contribution down the road. Nothing to be mad about with this draft. Colts are in great hands for years to come. This is just the beginning

Yep. Loved this draft. Something here for everybody at every position. Even the trade down seemed to work out well. Got Mack and Walker with those two picks.

50 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep. Loved this draft. Something here for everybody at every position. Even the trade down seemed to work out well. Got Mack and Walker with those two picks.

Every pick but one was on the defensive side of the ball. That is what made me the happiest. Anyone with a brain knows the defense is the weakest link with the Colts. Ballard made it a mission to improve it and he did just that

Just now, Luck is Good said:

Every pick but one was on the defensive side of the ball. That is what made me the happiest. Anyone with a brain knows the defense is the weakest link with the Colts. Ballard made it a mission to improve it and he did just that

2 picks were offensive picks, Banner and Mack. However, Mack was by far the best RB left, so it was a fantastic pick, and one of the few everyone liked.

I give it a solid B (Above Average).  We could have done more on the pass rushing front.  Basham was pretty much it really.  We did not really get any of the top notch edge rushers.  Our running back choice was disappointing in my opinion but at least Ballard got someone with home run ability.  We drafted a Hulk project for the O-line.  I'm intrigued by Banner's size.  I love what we did in addressing our secondary which was pretty much our most pressing need going into the draft.  Malik Hooker & Quincy Wilson make our draft for me.  A very good debut effort overall by our man Ballard.

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

Throughout most of his time in the NFL, Andrew Luck has had little choice but to attempt to win high-scoring games, as the Colts defense was unable to slow down anyone. Addressing the defense was clearly the top priority for first-year general manager Chris Ballard, who found a falling star in Malik Hooker to give the Colts a potentially dominant center fielder and a highly physical press cornerback in Quincy Wilson in the second round to complement Vontae Davis. MAC Defensive Player of the Year and Senior Bowl standout Tarell Basham will outplay his selection at No. 80 overall, and an offensive line known more for its passivity will get a jolt of size, power and exuberance with the massive Zach Banner, a future starter. Marlon Mack adds juice to the backfield still reliant upon Frank Gore, and the Colts nabbed one of the more intriguing sleepers in big man Grover Stewart. Hooker must clean up his aggressive pursuit angles, but this is one of the year's best draft classes on paper.

Grade: A

From CBS

I agree with grade mack<clark

3 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Even 2012 draft class aside from Luck and Hilton wasn't that great this is the best one in a very long time.

Most drafts aren't that great if you ignore the best two picks.

Still got 3 starting caliber talents in that draft ignoring those two: Allen, Fleener and Ballard (if not for the injury).

Wow, I don't think I've ever witnessed an A rated draft since I've been a Colts fan ('04).  

I felt very good about this draft.  Wilson and Hooker will be Day one starters and Basham has the potential to be one.  Grabbing 3 potential starters out of a draft is a good draft to me.  

38 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Wow, I don't think I've ever witnessed an A rated draft since I've been a Colts fan ('04).  

I felt very good about this draft.  Wilson and Hooker will be Day one starters and Basham has the potential to be one.  Grabbing 3 potential starters out of a draft is a good draft to me.  

dont be surprised if mack is the starter by mid season. kid is wow

B'

I guess I'm the only one not sure about Hooker....He's played so little and he's coming off minor injuries..

.....'bad tackling angles' scares me.

Wilson looks like an immediate starter...Basham is a much needed edge rusher

I think Mack will eventually star for us

55 minutes ago, King Colt said:

That article reads, "Indy came in to the draft with a ton of holes to fill." Thanks Grigson. Losing Grigson is like finally throwing out that nasty couch that smells as bad as it looks.

for the record..........we drafted 3  O-line starters last year

It's hard to talk about how good a draft is before we have even seen any of these players play, especially anyone selected after round 2.

But value wise, I think Ballard did an excellent job. He got a top 10 talent at number 15 and a fringe first rounder at 46. Two first round talents with the first two picks is pretty dang good. They'll have their growing pains (all rookies do), but Hooker and Wilson (IMO) are plug and play starters that immediately improve the secondary. 

Basham seems to be a good pass rushing prospect. If they bring him along slowly, I think he can be turn into something good. And Marlon Mack comes into one of the best situations for a mid round RB, being able to learn from Gore his first year. 

Anthony Walker, who I really liked, is someone who I think has starter potential if he can find the right weight to play at (When he gains weight, he loses speed. When he loses weight, he starts missing tackles). Other than that, he's smart, has a strong motor and was a vocal leader at North Western.

Stewart and Hairston I honestly know nothing about, but upon reading some stuff about each, both can find roles early in their careers as a rotational players.

Banner was the one pick I was really confused about. He's huge, but is slow and I don't think would be a good fit for the ZBS. Felt there were other G prospects who were better fits for this team. 

Overall though, on paper it looks pretty good. I'd give it a B+, but only because I honestly don't know as much about some of the later round players.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

The Bears, Texans and Chiefs get an A for reaching on QB's and pushing Malik Hooker down to us.

Thank you! 

I've been thanking every Bears fan I meet (and I come from Northern Indiana where there are a lot of them.) for kicking off that rush on QB's which let Hooker fall to us.  

21 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I've been thanking every Bears fan I meet (and I come from Northern Indiana where there are a lot of them.) for kicking off that rush on QB's which let Hooker fall to us.  

Hahhaha I told my buddy who is a Bears fan thanks as well. 

On 4/30/2017 at 6:22 AM, jameszeigler834 said:

Even 2012 draft class aside from Luck and Hilton wasn't that great this is the best one in a very long time.

Right Luck & Hilton are the only players left on the team from that draft class, but, directly following the draft everyone thought Grigs had hit the home run of all home runs... Allen & Fleener were going to be the most deadly TE tandem the league had ever seen, we got the steal of the draft in Grigsons "shrewd" trade to get TY, Ballard would be the feature running back, even Chapman was a great low risk/high reward pick, & Brazil was a good depth WR at the time...

So while I think Ballard had a solid draft it is too early to tell, hopefully 5 years from now, more than 2 of the picks are still contributors... 

I frequent NFL reddit quite frequently, and there was a thread for the AFC south asking which of the 4 teams had the best draft, and all 4 teams agree the Colts did.

This is quite refreshing and a welcome change.