Everyone

Colts sign Jon Bostic

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

All I know is I have a few friends who are Bears fans that say Bostic is awful.

 

2 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

All I know is I have a few friends who are Bears fans that say Bostic is awful.

He might be awful for a Bears linebacker, but how does he compare to the linebackers the Colts had last year?  Anyway, he still needs to compete and win his spot on the roster.  If he can do that, then he might be worth something.  If he does get a spot on the final roster, I doubt he'd be a starter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Whoa 21. You weren't kidding man. That's quite the love tap in the 2013 Sugar Bowl. 

 

 

Wow, props to Teddy for getting up. Buckle your chinstrap there Bridgewater. LOL! 

Ouch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Albaby said:

 

He might be awful for a Bears linebacker, but how does he compare to the linebackers the Colts had last year?  Anyway, he still needs to compete and win his spot on the roster.  If he can do that, then he might be worth something.  If he does get a spot on the final roster, I doubt he'd be a starter.

Yeah I'm not knocking the move. We need all the competition we can get. I'm just saying don't get your hopes up and this should not affect draft plans at all. If Ballard and company were expecting to draft an ILB early, they should still stick to it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Yeah I'm not knocking the move. We need all the competition we can get. I'm just saying don't get your hopes up and this should not affect draft plans at all. If Ballard and company were expecting to draft an ILB early, they should still stick to it.

I totally agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Who needs Ruben Foster or Riddick? We have Jon Bostic, Sean Spence, Edwin Jackson, and some dude who runs like molasses.

Actually lold..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

No it doesn't but maybe not the first pick now.  Maybe R. McMillan in a later round.   I wish he would also sign Pasztor.  That's just me though.

I don't know what he is seeing with Bostic he is terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

I think were taking Conley or Cook. CB is more needed but I wouldnt be mad if we took Cook given all the defensive moves so far.

I'd actually be very frustrated if they took Cook in the first round. 

 

1. Because it would be very short sighted to look at the defense as fixed longer term. Several of these guys are 1 year deals and this draft has tons of top level players at the lb'er spot. 

 

2. Cook has fumble issues and that really concerns me from a running back spot. 

 

3. We have no cb's to speak of after this season on the roster, other than depth players. 

 

I think those who say Cook is a good option are viewing this rebuild very short sighted. To be good past this year, you have to draft solid young talent. While some of the one year prove it deal guys may flourish, that's not generally the case. Add in that if they do, you still have to sign them now to way bigger contracts. Can't sign everyone to big deal contracts and survive the cap era. You have to take young draft kids and use their 4-5 years of cheaper service time to sustain great runs. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

I like the signing. We can definitely rule out drafting an ILB in the first two rounds

We definitely cannot rule it out. Bostic may not make the roster.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

I think we can take ILB out of the 1st round equation now. EDGE, CB or RB it is

But remember CB did say during the press conf. That even if the team is stacked at that one position doesn't mean they still wont draft someone from it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, needanoline63 said:

Same day Reuben foster fails a drug test. Goodbye foster

 

14 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

And this just happened...

 

Dumb dumb dumb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, masnerj said:

As I mentioned before, if CmC (Christian McCaffrey) is there at 15 and none of the elite players have dropped, then I strongly believe we will draft him. 

I'd count Gareon Conley in that elite group, but I agree with that statement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

I like the signing. We can definitely rule out drafting an ILB in the first two rounds

Sarcasm?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Albaby said:

Ouch!

 

14 hours ago, BOTT said:

Who needs Ruben Foster or Riddick? We have Jon Bostic, Sean Spence, Edwin Jackson, and some dude who runs like molasses.

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Ballard sticks to his communicated plan none of these signings would even impact the draft.  Expect him to go BPA. Don't be disappointed if he doesn't draft what we perceive as the biggest weakness on the team.  Just keep saying, "Best player available, best player available, best player available..."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a faster version of Morrison. Came out of UF running 4.61. Hits just as hard. Ballard keeps bringing in guys that can run. If we also spend a high pick on a fast ILB I'm trying to see how Morrison stays around.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Seems like a faster version of Morrison. Came out of UF running 4.61. Hits just as hard. Ballard keeps bringing in guys that can run. If we also spend a high pick on a fast ILB I'm trying to see how Morrison stays around.

 

There aren't a lot of "fast" ILB's that play the MIKE.     The fast one's play the WILL.

 

There's no reason to dump Morrison.     He's on year two of a rookie deal.     He showed enough to be brought back for year 2.      Even if we find someone to start ahead of him,   there's no reason he can't be depth.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2017 at 7:52 PM, jameszeigler834 said:

I don't know what he is seeing with Bostic he is terrible.

 

 

I think there's a reasonably good chance that Ballard knows a little bit more about Bostic than you do......

 

Ballard is building a 90-man roster.     There's no harm in this move.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2017 at 8:06 PM, akcolt said:

I like adding an ILB but that doesn't mean we aren't taking a Mike.  That's still a big need. If we miss on Davis my favorite. I see a guy who's being overlooked. 

 

Ben Gedeon of Michigan. The rap on him was he couldn't play in space and lacked athletic ability to play 3 downs. He showed he could play in space at the Senior Bowl.

 

The combine he proved to be a much better athlete than advertised. He was right with Cunningham on the SPARQ 123.3 to  123.4. The 40 hurt him but 4.19 short shuttle 6.98 3 cone He was tops in the bench press and 

I'll have to go watch the tape now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, krunk said:

Seems like a faster version of Morrison. Came out of UF running 4.61. Hits just as hard. Ballard keeps bringing in guys that can run. If we also spend a high pick on a fast ILB I'm trying to see how Morrison stays around.

Idk about Morrison but I can't say I see Edwin Jackson sticking around. An UDFA from a small school, he'll be competing with players with more NFL experience. Plus he was a Grigson guy and Ballard has shown that he has no problems getting rid of those guys. Especially if we draft a LB still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Idk about Morrison but I can't say I see Edwin Jackson sticking around. An UDFA from a small school, he'll be competing with players with more NFL experience. Plus he was a Grigson guy and Ballard has shown that he has no problems getting rid of those guys. Especially if we draft a LB still.

More experienced players like whom? And what is their resume other than bouncing around the league? Sio Moore and Nate Irving had more experience than anything Ballards brought in so far. Jackson beat out both of them. Experience is sometimes over rated.

Edited by krunk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, krunk said:

More experienced players like whom? And what is their resume other than bouncing around the league?

Sean Spence and John Bostic. Even if they've bounced around teams, they both have more experience than Jackson and probably have more upside. You're saying Morrison may have a hard time staying around which I can't completely disagree with, but I think Jackson is the guy on the fringe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Sean Spence and John Bostic. Even if they've bounced around teams, they both have more experience than Jackson and probably have more upside. You're saying Morrison may have a hard time staying around which I can't completely disagree with, but I think Jackson is the guy on the fringe.

Jackson doesnt run a 5.1. He doesn't have to be shelved or protected on passing downs. He can stay on the field for all 3 downs. Jackson runs a 4.5. Ballard spoke of the backers in today's passing league needing to be able to play all 3 downs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Sean Spence and John Bostic. Even if they've bounced around teams, they both have more experience than Jackson and probably have more upside. You're saying Morrison may have a hard time staying around which I can't completely disagree with, but I think Jackson is the guy on the fringe.

Nate Irvin and Sio Moore had this same upside you speak of and both their bags got packed. E. Jackson is still here. I dont see how Spence and Bostic pose bigger threats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, krunk said:

Jackson doesnt run a 5.1. He doesn't have to be shelved or protected on passing downs. He can stay on the field for all 3 downs. Jackson runs a 4.5. Ballard spoke of the backers in today's passing league needing to be able to play all 3 downs.

Morrison doesn't run a 5.1 40. He had a nasty staph infection and 24 hours before his pro day (where he was told not to work out) he had a port in his chest getting meds pumped into him. I'm no Morrison fan, and I don't disagree that he needs to be upgraded but I'd keep him around as depth rather than some leftover overrated project player from the Grigson era who really isn't any better than Morrison. He's athletic enough to play in coverage but it doesn't mean he's good at it. Morrison is the superior run defender.

41 minutes ago, krunk said:

Nate Irvin and Sio Moore had this same upside you speak of and both their bags got packed. E. Jackson is still here. I dont see how Spence and Bostic pose bigger threats.

I actually predicted Irving wouldn't make the final 53, and people thought I was crazy. But I don't think Irving and Moore were let go in favor of Jackson. Irving was near 30, had some injury concerns, and was slightly more expensive. Moore from what I heard had some issues with coaching which also seemed to be the case in Oakland. Jackson only made the roster because Grigson loved his project players and always had to keep like 3-5 guys like that on the 53. Ballard won't be so fair.

 

A few off-seasons ago I said that Chapman and Montori Hughes wouldn't make the final 53 and was right. Last year I said Irving wouldn't make it. This year put me down as saying Edwin Jackson will not make the final 53. HOWEVER if he does, he won't start over Morrison. It'll be Morrison + A draft pick starting with Spence and Bostic as your backups.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

 

I think there's a reasonably good chance that Ballard knows a little bit more about Bostic than you do......

 

Ballard is building a 90-man roster.     There's no harm in this move.

 

Doesn't change the fact that Bostic sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Doesn't change the fact that Bostic sucks.

 

Then, let me put this another way...

 

Once upon a time, Bostic was drafted in the 2nd round.      That's pretty good.

 

And other teams have thought enough of him that TWO of them have traded for him.     That doesn't happen often.     Teams will often wait for a team to release a player, and then claim him to save the draft pick.     But that didn't happen with Bostic.

 

It appears Bostic's biggest problem is that he's been injured often.

 

In any 90-man roster a team is going to have a number of guys who have under-achieved but the team hopes they can bring out the best in him.       Every team has guys that you would label "he sucks"....       No doubt some do....    and no doubt that some don't...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Then, let me put this another way...

 

Once upon a time, Bostic was drafted in the 2nd round.      That's pretty good.

 

And other teams have thought enough of him that TWO of them have traded for him.     That doesn't happen often.     Teams will often wait for a team to release a player, and then claim him to save the draft pick.     But that didn't happen with Bostic.

 

It appears Bostic's biggest problem is that he's been injured often.

 

In any 90-man roster a team is going to have a number of guys who have under-achieved but the team hopes they can bring out the best in him.       Every team has guys that you would label "he sucks"....       No doubt some do....    and no doubt that some don't...

 

I'm not expecting much from him but that doesn't mean he won't "figure" it out. He may have sucked in the past but he hasn't sucked for the Colts yet. He is good enough for our 90 man roster. Time will tell if he is good enough for the 53. Just happy for the competition Ballard has put together.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Idk about Morrison but I can't say I see Edwin Jackson sticking around. An UDFA from a small school, he'll be competing with players with more NFL experience.

Ballard has already gone on record saying that it doesn't matter where you come from or where you were drafted (or not drafted), all that matters is what you do on the field. Unless Morrison is lights out amazing come training camp, I don't see him starting over Jackson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Then, let me put this another way...

 

Once upon a time, Bostic was drafted in the 2nd round.      That's pretty good.

 

And other teams have thought enough of him that TWO of them have traded for him.     That doesn't happen often.     Teams will often wait for a team to release a player, and then claim him to save the draft pick.     But that didn't happen with Bostic.

 

It appears Bostic's biggest problem is that he's been injured often.

 

In any 90-man roster a team is going to have a number of guys who have under-achieved but the team hopes they can bring out the best in him.       Every team has guys that you would label "he sucks"....       No doubt some do....    and no doubt that some don't...

 

Bostic was drafted in the 2nd round by a team that employed Ballard as the director of scouting. I think it's safe to assume our GM is very fimilar with Bostic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shive said:

Ballard has already gone on record saying that it doesn't matter where you come from or where you were drafted (or not drafted), all that matters is what you do on the field. Unless Morrison is lights out amazing come training camp, I don't see him starting over Jackson.

Neither should start and probably wont start. Morrison has more upside though. Jackson is severely overrated by this board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:01 PM, Everyone said:

 

Jon Bostic was fairly good with the Bears....but they did trade him so he couldn't have been too good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Bostic was drafted in the 2nd round by a team that employed Ballard as the director of scouting. I think it's safe to assume our GM is very fimilar with Bostic.

This is the best point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • True......but when that happens, the 14-2 folks will surface......   ...followed by the multiple SB's gang....... 
    • No way the Colts pass on Barkley if he's there.
    •   As I suspected...   My response at the time had nothing to with the interest in McDaniels or him eventually becoming the Head Coach.  The interest on both sides was plainly evident.  What I commented on was...   1) They knew they were going to replace Pagano long before the 1st Jacksonville loss.  They were just considering making the move after that game instead of at the end of the season.  Plus the article about Ballard picking Brissett's brain on McDaniels was much later in the season.  In other words, no correlation to what you wrote and reality.   2) I know what Ballard said about Luck and any future coach but that was just Coach / GM speak and simply not reality.  Every coach they interviewed was most assuredly appraised of Luck's situation.  Further it is a comical stretch to think that McDaniels felt OK with the QB situation because of Brissett should Luck not ever be healthy again.   3) The first words of the interview were most assuredly not "you ready to leave the Nantucket nest" or anything close that.  And McDaniels certainly did not accept the job at that time based on the premise of that question alone.   4) The Colts kept interviewing guys because they wanted to cover all bases and do their homework for THIS particular hire.  At that time I am sure there was interest but I would also suspect that neither McDaniels or the Colts had settled on each other.
    • IMO size does play a factor but not the bottom line. Speed, smarts and the ability to run crisp routes play a bigger factor.
    • Wasn't Brandon Scherff drafted pretty high? But I get what you mean. I meant this more as a hypothetical scenario to think through, rather than me really thinking that he can't fail. Every prospect can fail for variety of reasons really and that's part of their evaluations - assessing the various risk factors.    More on the topic - from your scouting - do you have higher grade on Nelson as a guard or on Chubb as a DE? (that is disregarding the positional value, just evaluating how good the player is at what he does) 
  • Members