Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Jon Bostic

Everyone

2 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

All I know is I have a few friends who are Bears fans that say Bostic is awful.

2 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

All I know is I have a few friends who are Bears fans that say Bostic is awful.

He might be awful for a Bears linebacker, but how does he compare to the linebackers the Colts had last year?  Anyway, he still needs to compete and win his spot on the roster.  If he can do that, then he might be worth something.  If he does get a spot on the final roster, I doubt he'd be a starter.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Albaby said:

He might be awful for a Bears linebacker, but how does he compare to the linebackers the Colts had last year?  Anyway, he still needs to compete and win his spot on the roster.  If he can do that, then he might be worth something.  If he does get a spot on the final roster, I doubt he'd be a starter.

Yeah I'm not knocking the move. We need all the competition we can get. I'm just saying don't get your hopes up and this should not affect draft plans at all. If Ballard and company were expecting to draft an ILB early, they should still stick to it.

3 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Yeah I'm not knocking the move. We need all the competition we can get. I'm just saying don't get your hopes up and this should not affect draft plans at all. If Ballard and company were expecting to draft an ILB early, they should still stick to it.

I totally agree

20 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

I like the signing. We can definitely rule out drafting an ILB in the first two rounds

Who needs Ruben Foster or Riddick? We have Jon Bostic, Sean Spence, Edwin Jackson, and some dude who runs like molasses.

6 hours ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

I think were taking Conley or Cook. CB is more needed but I wouldnt be mad if we took Cook given all the defensive moves so far.

I'd actually be very frustrated if they took Cook in the first round. 

1. Because it would be very short sighted to look at the defense as fixed longer term. Several of these guys are 1 year deals and this draft has tons of top level players at the lb'er spot. 

2. Cook has fumble issues and that really concerns me from a running back spot. 

3. We have no cb's to speak of after this season on the roster, other than depth players. 

I think those who say Cook is a good option are viewing this rebuild very short sighted. To be good past this year, you have to draft solid young talent. While some of the one year prove it deal guys may flourish, that's not generally the case. Add in that if they do, you still have to sign them now to way bigger contracts. Can't sign everyone to big deal contracts and survive the cap era. You have to take young draft kids and use their 4-5 years of cheaper service time to sustain great runs. 

15 hours ago, masnerj said:

As I mentioned before, if CmC (Christian McCaffrey) is there at 15 and none of the elite players have dropped, then I strongly believe we will draft him. 

I'd count Gareon Conley in that elite group, but I agree with that statement.

If Ballard sticks to his communicated plan none of these signings would even impact the draft.  Expect him to go BPA. Don't be disappointed if he doesn't draft what we perceive as the biggest weakness on the team.  Just keep saying, "Best player available, best player available, best player available..."

Seems like a faster version of Morrison. Came out of UF running 4.61. Hits just as hard. Ballard keeps bringing in guys that can run. If we also spend a high pick on a fast ILB I'm trying to see how Morrison stays around.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Seems like a faster version of Morrison. Came out of UF running 4.61. Hits just as hard. Ballard keeps bringing in guys that can run. If we also spend a high pick on a fast ILB I'm trying to see how Morrison stays around.

There aren't a lot of "fast" ILB's that play the MIKE.     The fast one's play the WILL.

There's no reason to dump Morrison.     He's on year two of a rookie deal.     He showed enough to be brought back for year 2.      Even if we find someone to start ahead of him,   there's no reason he can't be depth.

On 4/20/2017 at 7:52 PM, jameszeigler834 said:

I don't know what he is seeing with Bostic he is terrible.

I think there's a reasonably good chance that Ballard knows a little bit more about Bostic than you do......

Ballard is building a 90-man roster.     There's no harm in this move.

On 4/20/2017 at 8:06 PM, akcolt said:

I like adding an ILB but that doesn't mean we aren't taking a Mike.  That's still a big need. If we miss on Davis my favorite. I see a guy who's being overlooked. 

Ben Gedeon of Michigan. The rap on him was he couldn't play in space and lacked athletic ability to play 3 downs. He showed he could play in space at the Senior Bowl.

The combine he proved to be a much better athlete than advertised. He was right with Cunningham on the SPARQ 123.3 to  123.4. The 40 hurt him but 4.19 short shuttle 6.98 3 cone He was tops in the bench press and 

I'll have to go watch the tape now.

7 hours ago, krunk said:

Idk about Morrison but I can't say I see Edwin Jackson sticking around. An UDFA from a small school, he'll be competing with players with more NFL experience. Plus he was a Grigson guy and Ballard has shown that he has no problems getting rid of those guys. Especially if we draft a LB still.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Idk about Morrison but I can't say I see Edwin Jackson sticking around. An UDFA from a small school, he'll be competing with players with more NFL experience. Plus he was a Grigson guy and Ballard has shown that he has no problems getting rid of those guys. Especially if we draft a LB still.

More experienced players like whom? And what is their resume other than bouncing around the league? Sio Moore and Nate Irving had more experience than anything Ballards brought in so far. Jackson beat out both of them. Experience is sometimes over rated.

Edited by krunk

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

More experienced players like whom? And what is their resume other than bouncing around the league?

Sean Spence and John Bostic. Even if they've bounced around teams, they both have more experience than Jackson and probably have more upside. You're saying Morrison may have a hard time staying around which I can't completely disagree with, but I think Jackson is the guy on the fringe.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Sean Spence and John Bostic. Even if they've bounced around teams, they both have more experience than Jackson and probably have more upside. You're saying Morrison may have a hard time staying around which I can't completely disagree with, but I think Jackson is the guy on the fringe.

Jackson doesnt run a 5.1. He doesn't have to be shelved or protected on passing downs. He can stay on the field for all 3 downs. Jackson runs a 4.5. Ballard spoke of the backers in today's passing league needing to be able to play all 3 downs.

16 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Nate Irvin and Sio Moore had this same upside you speak of and both their bags got packed. E. Jackson is still here. I dont see how Spence and Bostic pose bigger threats.

45 minutes ago, krunk said:

Jackson doesnt run a 5.1. He doesn't have to be shelved or protected on passing downs. He can stay on the field for all 3 downs. Jackson runs a 4.5. Ballard spoke of the backers in today's passing league needing to be able to play all 3 downs.

Morrison doesn't run a 5.1 40. He had a nasty staph infection and 24 hours before his pro day (where he was told not to work out) he had a port in his chest getting meds pumped into him. I'm no Morrison fan, and I don't disagree that he needs to be upgraded but I'd keep him around as depth rather than some leftover overrated project player from the Grigson era who really isn't any better than Morrison. He's athletic enough to play in coverage but it doesn't mean he's good at it. Morrison is the superior run defender.

41 minutes ago, krunk said:

Nate Irvin and Sio Moore had this same upside you speak of and both their bags got packed. E. Jackson is still here. I dont see how Spence and Bostic pose bigger threats.

I actually predicted Irving wouldn't make the final 53, and people thought I was crazy. But I don't think Irving and Moore were let go in favor of Jackson. Irving was near 30, had some injury concerns, and was slightly more expensive. Moore from what I heard had some issues with coaching which also seemed to be the case in Oakland. Jackson only made the roster because Grigson loved his project players and always had to keep like 3-5 guys like that on the 53. Ballard won't be so fair.

A few off-seasons ago I said that Chapman and Montori Hughes wouldn't make the final 53 and was right. Last year I said Irving wouldn't make it. This year put me down as saying Edwin Jackson will not make the final 53. HOWEVER if he does, he won't start over Morrison. It'll be Morrison + A draft pick starting with Spence and Bostic as your backups.

59 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Doesn't change the fact that Bostic sucks.

Then, let me put this another way...

Once upon a time, Bostic was drafted in the 2nd round.      That's pretty good.

And other teams have thought enough of him that TWO of them have traded for him.     That doesn't happen often.     Teams will often wait for a team to release a player, and then claim him to save the draft pick.     But that didn't happen with Bostic.

It appears Bostic's biggest problem is that he's been injured often.

In any 90-man roster a team is going to have a number of guys who have under-achieved but the team hopes they can bring out the best in him.       Every team has guys that you would label "he sucks"....       No doubt some do....    and no doubt that some don't...

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And other teams have thought enough of him that TWO of them have traded for him.     That doesn't happen often.     Teams will often wait for a team to release a player, and then claim him to save the draft pick.     But that didn't happen with Bostic.

In any 90-man roster a team is going to have a number of guys who have under-achieved but the team hopes they can bring out the best in him.       Every team has guys that you would label "he sucks"....       No doubt some do....    and no doubt that some don't...

I'm not expecting much from him but that doesn't mean he won't "figure" it out. He may have sucked in the past but he hasn't sucked for the Colts yet. He is good enough for our 90 man roster. Time will tell if he is good enough for the 53. Just happy for the competition Ballard has put together.

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Idk about Morrison but I can't say I see Edwin Jackson sticking around. An UDFA from a small school, he'll be competing with players with more NFL experience.

Ballard has already gone on record saying that it doesn't matter where you come from or where you were drafted (or not drafted), all that matters is what you do on the field. Unless Morrison is lights out amazing come training camp, I don't see him starting over Jackson.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Bostic was drafted in the 2nd round by a team that employed Ballard as the director of scouting. I think it's safe to assume our GM is very fimilar with Bostic.

2 hours ago, Shive said:

Ballard has already gone on record saying that it doesn't matter where you come from or where you were drafted (or not drafted), all that matters is what you do on the field. Unless Morrison is lights out amazing come training camp, I don't see him starting over Jackson.

Neither should start and probably wont start. Morrison has more upside though. Jackson is severely overrated by this board.