Colts are signing WR Kamar Aiken

Everyone

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, OHColtfan said:

As far as Dorsett goes, now that we are a couple of years in, it doesn't matter anymore where he was drafted. In this league your silver spoon doesn't last long, there aren't any privileged positions in the league anymore past the hoopla of the draft. It's put up or shut up. Right now he is just another guy on the roster competing for playing time- and if he gets beat out for reps, then that is on him.   

This can't be stressed enough.  After two years, everyone has used up their 'where they were drafted' entitlement.  Now, it's what can you do for the team.

IMO, Rogers was more productive than Dorsett in the limited time he was in.  And it could just be the way Dorsett was being used.  But if the QB doesn't have confidence in you, then something is wrong.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

i wish we had taken him to keep him away from the patriots

he would have rode the bench and probably never amounted to anything behind peyton

If you remember, it was said we were going to take russel wilson as a backup to luck.  Pretty sure he wouldnt be with Ciara if that were the case.  Russel who? haha

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm not sure why he fell out of favor last year.    The previous year, he had 75 catches for 944 yards and 5 TD's.  

He fell out because the year he did good Steve Smith tore his achillies he's was the Only receiver..but this year Wallace and smith were back and a slight emergence of perriman 

4 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

If you remember, it was said we were going to take russel wilson as a backup to luck.  Pretty sure he wouldnt be with Ciara if that were the case.  Russel who? haha

grigson said that about wilson

then the seahawks beat us to the punch and we "settled" for ty

rus might have had the chance to play behind luck some, he has missed games

44 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Irsay has already said that no other Colt would ever wear #18 besides Manning. I would imagine the #18 will be officially retired when the statue goes up.

I am sure that irsay will plan a huge deal when that does happen for sure.

Peytons number was retired soon after he himself announced his own retirement. Also the statue is scheduled to be complete in this coming year. 

Good signing. He'll be 28, but he could have his best seasons with us. He seems like the kind of receiver who fits better with a QB like Luck. This will make Dorsett hungry too. Dorsett will try and beat Aiken out for the 3rd WR spot, so maybe Dorsett will finally live up to his potential this year. Then we'll have 4 good WR's. Hopefully this signing keeps Dorsett up at night, and all he thinks about is football, and he comes out and becomes what we thought he could be, because if he does....The sky's the limit.

2 hours ago, MrNLM said:

This is not only good for competition but also a huge help in the redzone. Hilton is good at marching into the endzone with distance but not as good at producing when the play starts in the redzone.

I like the idea of a redzone offense of Moncrief, Aiken, Doyel, Swoope, and Gore just for size alone. Wanna get TY in there? Take a breather Swoope! ;)

This is a sensible viewing of this signing.  I haven't watched much on Aiken, but I remember he was a guy who, pound for pound, bang in there or over the middle as good as anyone else in the league.  He's not super talented, but you can't coach a guy to play with a chip on his shoulder, and he's quick enough to get a little separation in short areas which is why I think you might be right in that he would be a good slot redzone guy.

Somebody said Dorsett hasn't been a bust THUS FAR.......Well yes he has. He's been terrible, but like I said in my post above, he has the potential to be really good, and maybe this will * him off and push him to become what he can be. It's early to label him a complete bust as he's entering his 3rd season, but we'll see what happens. Either way we have 3 really good WR's. Also. If Moncrief stays healthy and plays 15-16 games, he's going to put up some sexy numbers btw.

6 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Good signing. He'll be 28, but he could have his best seasons with us. He seems like the kind of receiver who fits better with a QB like Luck. This will make Dorsett hungry too. Dorsett will try and beat Aiken out for the 3rd WR spot, so maybe Dorsett will finally live up to his potential this year. Then we'll have 4 good WR's. Hopefully this signing keeps Dorsett up at night, and all he thinks about is football, and he comes out and becomes what we thought he could be, because if he does....The sky's the limit.

With this signing, we'll have 9 WRs on the roster.  We may keep 6 if you count Bray, and since they tendered him I guess they want to keep him.

TY, Moncrief, Dorsett, Rogers, Aiken.  Not a bad group. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah, it would be nice for all GMs to have hindsight when drafting.

I've already spoke about Dorsett.....But its not hindsight when we're talking about taking Bjoern Werner over Xavier Rhodes. Its common sense if you know what you're doing, how to spot talent, and have good scouting, and just know football in general. Saying we should have drafted Chris Harris Jr. and Damon Harrison in the 6th or 7th rounds 6-7 years ago is hindsight.

5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I've already spoke about Dorsett.....But its not hindsight when we're talking about taking Bjoern Werner over Xavier Rhodes. Its common sense if you know what you're doing, how to spot talent, and have good scouting, and just know football in general. Saying we should have drafted Chris Harris Jr. and Damon Harrison in the 6th or 7th rounds 6-7 years ago is hindsight.

saying we should have taken landon collins over dorsett is not just hindsight either

tons of people were saying that before the draft ever started

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Idk if you are agreeing with me or not. 

I should have caught up to the thread before commenting, but I figured I'd throw in the additional stats that give him 16 yards per catch. You and NCF are top posters though so I agree w you both.

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

saying we should have taken landon collins over dorsett is not just hindsight either

tons of people were saying that before the draft ever started

I mean I agree, but that's a tougher one IMO. No its not hindsight, but I thought Dorsett was going to be great. I just didn't want us to draft a WR in the 1st freaking round like a dumb __. I wanted Malcolm Brown or Eric Kendricks. And another thing. We took D'Joun Smith when a guy with all pro talent was there.......Danielle Hunter. I loved that kid. He's one of my favorite players in the league. A good GM, and good scouts see the talent in guys, and see the traits to make them think "Hey this kid has what it takes to succeed at the next level"

Good possession receiver.   I don't totally think this replaces Dorsett,  I just think it adds needed size to the receiving corps.  Between Dorsett and Chester Rogers there wasn't much size we had there last year.  Moncrief is the biggest receiver we had.  That Devin Street wasn't really anybody.  Aiken and Moncrief give us some size to go along with T.Y., Dorsett and Chester Rogers.   Don't quite know where Quan Bray fits in the mix when it's all said and done, but we'll see.   I'd have to imagine we'll see Devin Street released off the roster soon unless they want to take him into camp.

53 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

it will be interesting to see who produces more between aiken and moncrief

If you are questioning whether or not you want to pay Moncrief and believe you can find a comparable but cheaper option, now is the time to bring in someone like Aiken.  He'll have a year together with Luck before you have to make a decision.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hilton,  Moncrief,  Dorsett,  Rodgers,  Bray.

Aiken is the 6th WR in the group.

Not sure where you got 4 from?

Bray's primarily a returner.  After TY, the WR jobs are wide open, IMO.  Especially since there are no contract obligations....everybody is in their contract year...except Dorsett..

But some are pushing Dorsett out the door already.

51 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Werner was considered by most draft talking heads as a potential top 10 guy, so I don't think it was necessarily a terrible pick at the time, but Rhodes was my draft crush that year and I was not happy when he was there and we didn't take him. It wasn't because I thought Werner was bad, just wanted Rhodes.

I'm OK with the signing. I liked what I saw from Rogers last season, but having a bigger WR to work into the rotation is not a bad idea at all.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Bray's primarily a returner.  After TY, the WR jobs are wide open, IMO.  Especially since there are no contract obligations....everybody is in their contract year...except Dorsett..

But some are pushing Dorsett out the door already.

how is aiken the 6th anyway?  he should easily be in front of rodgers and bray.  probably dorsett too, and he could certainly pass moncrief.  in fact aiken has more yardage than any of those guys in his career

NCF makes some bizarre comments

The Colts last year were a good "middle of the field" team, but not especially good in the red zone. Far too often, the Colts had to settle for a field goal. Adding another big bodied receiver, (similar height to Moncrief) adds another red zone weapon. 

I believe in competition. Let the best players earn their playing time. If that's Aiken, great. If that's Doresett, great. Let the best players play and use the best of their abilities -- use them wisely as the situation calls.

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Also Rogers.   I think Moncrief and Hilton have the top 2 spots sealed up.   The 3rd and 4th are wide open.  I think the Colts need a guy who's good in the slot.   Rogers may be that guy.

Just don't have him returning punts inside the 5. :)  Chester played well at receiver.

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

I wanted to keep Peyton and take Russell Wilson that year....but I was a huge Peyton fan and just being selfish. It was the right move to let Peyton go for both parties but I just didn't want to not watch him continue to play for anyone else. I really liked Russell as a back up and to groom later on.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I wanted to keep Peyton and take Russell Wilson that year....but I was a huge Peyton fan and just being selfish. It was the right move to let Peyton go for both parties but I just didn't want to not watch him continue to play for anyone else. I really liked Russell as a back up and to groom later on.

lots of people were high on wilson

he should have gone sooner, but he happened to be in the best QB class the draft has seen in a long time.  i guess luck and wilson are making it a good class, but at the time RT and RG3 were obvious first rounders

5 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Love this signing, he doesn't possess elite speed but he is a big tough able bodied receiver. I think he will be a nice red zone target for luck i forsee him easily getting 500-700 receiving yards and 5-8 TDs here.

I'm all for it, but not sure if I'm willing to predict numbers that big for him, with that type of production he'd likely lead the team in TDs and at very minimum be 2nd in yards. I'd be surprised to see him just step into the fold and go off like that.