Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are signing WR Kamar Aiken

Everyone

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I'm fine adding a veteran WR (despite the fact that it burns the Colts every year, it seems), and I'm fine with Aiken. But he hasn't done anything special in the league. He did produce in 2015 when Smith was hurt and the Ravens had practically no one else. 

But he got nearly 600 snaps last year, and put up 28 catches. Kyle Juszczyk -- the fullback -- played 463 snaps, and had 37 catches. The year Flacco finally goes over 4,000 yards, and Aiken was WR4, 8th on the team in receptions.

He has good size, good speed/athleticism, no question about his tools. I don't expect him to be a big time producer. He can play some on special teams, but he's not a returner. I'm not over the moon about this addition. I assume his contract will be reasonable. 

I agree...I want to see the terms. If he was left without a chair after FA musical chairs, that's one thing. But if it's any where near what Spotrac had him valued at...not a fan.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm fine adding a veteran WR (despite the fact that it burns the Colts every year, it seems), and I'm fine with Aiken. But he hasn't done anything special in the league. He did produce in 2015 when Smith was hurt and the Ravens had practically no one else. 

But he got nearly 600 snaps last year, and put up 28 catches. Kyle Juszczyk -- the fullback -- played 463 snaps, and had 37 catches. The year Flacco finally goes over 4,000 yards, and Aiken was WR4, 8th on the team in receptions.

He has good size, good speed/athleticism, no question about his tools. I don't expect him to be a big time producer. He can play some on special teams, but he's not a returner. I'm not over the moon about this addition. I assume his contract will be reasonable. 

I just like it from a competition stand point. It makes people sit up and take notice on our roster. I also think he can be adequate if asked to perform. Outside of that I don't expect much nor do I think we really need anything more than what he is being brought in to do. If Aiken is taking starter snaps during the year...than we will have to go out and find replacements next offseason regardless.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Lots of people seem to not realize that the roster has to be up to 90 by the time camp starts, and explaining it to them is just painful.

Painful is the nice way of putting it.

haha

i was extremely disappointed over last year.  But i'm smart enuff to understand why it happened and i'm very pleased to see how Ballard seems to be building a team.  Building is the key word because it wont happen overnight.  What is most exciting is that he seems to actually have a plan.  Kudos to Irsay too for making it happen.

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The Colts offense was actually one of the best redzone units in the league last year, 4th overall, scoring TDs 66% the time. Most of the FGs that they did settle for were outside of the redzone.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

Allen was a big part of that which we needed to replace

For whatever it's worth....

Last year, Aiken's contract was for $2.55 Million.     That's not a bad chunk of change.

I don't know why Spotrac thought he was worth 7.5 Mill this year on a 4-year deal,  but they did.

I'm very curious as to what Ballard got him to agree to?    Whatever the number,  I suspect it was a skillful bit of negations...

7 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Painful is the nice way of putting it.

haha

i was extremely disappointed over last year.  But i'm smart enuff to understand why it happened and i'm very pleased to see how Ballard seems to be building a team.  Building is the key word because it wont happen overnight.  What is most exciting is that he seems to actually have a plan.  Kudos to Irsay too for making it happen.

Definitely a plan in place, and Ballard seems disciplined enough to see it through. We could be in for a pleasant surprise this year if the defense is somewhat reliable and the offensive line continues it's upward trend. 

Baltimore had Smith, Wallace, then Perriman plus Pitta at TE, and Kyle (however you spell his last name at FB). So Aiken was like the 6th, 7th, or 8th option as guys like Chris Moore got some snaps too.. I know he played some snaps this past year but he only had 50 targets, compared to 127 the year before. He probably didn't like that very much after balling out in 2015. I wouldn't. He, IMO would have probably put up some sexy numbers again had he been the 2nd or 3rd option, and over 100 targets. He'll get his shot here, and I think he'll end up being a really nice, under the radar addition. Assuming he beats out Dorsett and is our 3rd WR I could see him putting up ~600-700 yards and 5-6 TD's. Luck should have a lot of weapons this year.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

According to over the cap dot com, counting all signings except for Aiken, we have $28,801,909.  This includes the dead money from the players cut and traded to date.  

Spottrac dot com lists the current cap room NOT counting Williams or Aiken as 29,371,319 not counting the draft pool and counting the draft pool at $23,048,901 but they are estimating the 2 of them costing a hit around 7 million combined, leaving us around 16 million.

Also, lets say we do go after a NT, we can easily save 5.5 million more by cutting Art Jones, who I still think is borderline staying/going. and if you do need too, you can push that to a post june 1 cut and make the savings 6.2 million. There's also Akeem Ayers that would save yet another 2.5 mil roughly. 

Also, for thought food, Dorsett has a 2.06 million dollar cap hit this year but a 3.27 million dollar dead cap hit, next year that turns to 1.4 million in cap SAVINGS, so for this year, we'd infact paying more to cut him than to keep him for a year. So I highly doubt he's going anywhere.

I'm sure Superman will chime in with more detailed and accurate information.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap/

Their EST CAP SPACE (ALL) is $21,016,319

Spots 52 & 53? (about 1.1 million)  Practice squad? ( about 1.2 million)  and in season churn is about 3 million.   thats about 5.3 million  so that takes it down to  about 15.7 .

Like you said they didn't include Aiken.  But what did they give Williams?  Woods ?  They haven'd counted any of these guys yet.

Our estimates are actual working cap space to actually use to sign new or existing FA. 

Can't spend money you already owe

15 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Spots 52 & 53? (about 1.1 million)  Practice squad? ( about 1.2 million)  and in season churn is about 3 million.   thats about 5.3 million  so that takes it down to  about 15.7 .

Like you said they didn't include Aiken.  But what did they give Williams?  Woods ?  They haven'd counted any of these guys yet.

Our estimates are actual working cap space to actually use to sign new or existing FA. 

Spotrac shows cap space with all players at $21m. That includes the projected draft pool and all players under contract, minus Williams, Woods and Aiken. 

There's no reason to worry about in season churn.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

For whatever it's worth....

Last year, Aiken's contract was for $2.55 Million.     That's not a bad chunk of change.

I don't know why Spotrac thought he was worth 7.5 Mill this year on a 4-year deal,  but they did.

I'm very curious as to what Ballard got him to agree to?    Whatever the number,  I suspect it was a skillful bit of negations...

I really hope we did not overpay for him. I assume he will primarily be WR4 and step up to WR2 or WR3 if anyone goes down.

Moncrief better stay healthy this year, I wouldn't be surprised if Aiken has his eyes set on Moncrief's job.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would have Dorsett just return Punts. Have Dorsett focus on that in practices. We can utilize his speed this way, that could be his calling card. Have TY/Moncrief/and Aiken has our 3 primary receivers. Doyle will be used a lot too so we are fine at TE unless he gets injured.

It'd be pretty disappointing if our first round pick just becomes a special team player. Even if he is a star at it.

42 minutes ago, Superman said:

Spotrac shows cap space with all players at $21m. That includes the projected draft pool and all players under contract, minus Williams, Woods and Aiken. 

There's no reason to worry about in season churn.

Williams Woods and Aiken. Spots 52 and 53.  The practice squad.     Even if you don't take out the churn.   We don't have 21 million to spend obviously they won't spend all of it.  

again the numbers I posted is actual money to spend   

18 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

It'd be pretty disappointing if our first round pick just becomes a special team player. Even if he is a star at it.

Especially since they tried it an he was not very good at it.   Maybe he would get better though 

1 minute ago, Coltfreak said:

Especially since they tried it an he was not very good at it.   Maybe he would get better though 

Just for perspective, when they tried having him return points, it was the first game of his NFL career, on the road in Buffalo. I honestly can't remember them trying it again after that.

11 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Williams Woods and Aiken. Spots 52 and 53.  The practice squad.     Even if you don't take out the churn.   We don't have 21 million to spend obviously they won't spend all of it.  

Welp, better update it.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Didn't Ben Ijalana re-sign with the Jets after starting 13 games last year for them at LT? Not sure how he faired but it was good to see him get past all those injuries and start to make a difference. Yeah I could see that happening with Thorton lol.

he is one of the lowest rated LT in the league, scores like a 70

13 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

I don't know if you get what I'm saying. 

Yes, Williams, Woods and Aiken will reduce that number; they are not included because we don't know their numbers, yet (we just got Williams, but it's not updated on Spotrac). 

Spots 52 and 53 are already included. As a matter of fact, spots 54-68 are included in that bottom line number. That's an extra $7m+, which more than makes up for the practice squad, and you can probably call your in season churn buffer accounted for at this point (I think it should be more than $3m, but we're still fine). And the projected draft pool is included.

I agree that they won't spend all that they have to spend. Between leaving money for getting through the season and just not having players to spend all your cap on, there will be leftover, probably well over $10m. Which is why I don't make a big deal over a specific amount of churn money. They'll be well under the cap to start the season.

9 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Don't mind this signing, I think he can be a solid #2 if necessary.  

The problem is as I said in another thread, who's he taking snaps from? 

Or is it possible that we brought him on because we're going to use TE less often and more WR's.  

He is 6'2" and 215.
 I do not know what his blocking ability is but he has to be better at it than TY or Dorsett.
 There will be many opportunities in some of our formations for him to improve our results in the running game.
  I really like how we are filling our depth with young veterans Before the draft.
   This sets up Ballard to go after his favorite Players.
  Safe to say now he is looking forward to nabbing us a high quality CB early.
 And i am sure he wants a alpha pass rusher and a ILB to build a D with.
 So many needs!! Go Blue!

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know if you get what I'm saying. 

Yes, Williams, Woods and Aiken will reduce that number; they are not included because we don't know their numbers, yet (we just got Williams, but it's not updated on Spotrac). 

Spots 52 and 53 are already included. As a matter of fact, spots 54-68 are included in that bottom line number. That's an extra $7m+, which more than makes up for the practice squad, and you can probably call your in season churn buffer accounted for at this point (I think it should be more than $3m, but we're still fine). And the projected draft pool is included.

I agree that they won't spend all that they have to spend. Between leaving money for getting through the season and just not having players to spend all your cap on, there will be leftover, probably well over $10m. Which is why I don't make a big deal over a specific amount of churn money. They'll be well under the cap to start the season.

Let's keep comparing as we go.  

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not only is he not a bust,  he's not even close to a bust.    A disappointment?   Sure.    An under-achiever?   Yes. But not a bust.

He averaged 16.0 yards a catch.     Do you know how few WR's can do that?    Especially when the opposition knows that's your specialty?

Dorsett can still get better.     Plenty of WR's have improved over time....       there's no reason to give up on him now....      The Colts hired a new WR coach this off-season.      I'd like to see what that coach can do with this position group....

I agree. I am willing to give him another season to prove himself or not. Heck we gave T-Rich 2.5 years and he truely was a bust

3 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Right but the links I quoted were already taking all that plus the retirements of Mathis and mcAfee into account, you figure those in and you're where you mentioned 

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Dorsett isn't shopped around soon, and moved before or during the draft.

Doubt full, we'd be taking a bigger cap hit by trading or cutting him this year, almost twice as much as he'd be if we carried him for a year yet

2 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Trust superman, he's the forum expert on cap space and hasn't been wrong yet 

3 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

It would be but if he becomes great at it, he can could be a great asset to the team. I think he's only tried it once that was at Buffalo, failed at it but he was new at doing it.

18 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

he is one of the lowest rated LT in the league, scores like a 70

I'd take that for a swing tackle. I don't think LT would be his strong suit. I think as a backup for both positions that he would be serviceable. Nice to see he is finally getting his legs under him. I think the Jets re-signed him to a two year deal. I could see the same thing happening with Thorton possibly....finally making a contribution for someone else.

20 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Lots of people seem to not realize that the roster has to be up to 90 by the time camp starts, and explaining it to them is just painful. Like, we can't just sign 40 offensive linemen, that's not how it works.

Exactly. They don't realize that you need a LOT of wrs and secondary players because you need your 2nd and 3rd string depth for running practices to get your backup qbs action...and in the pre-season games we don't want TY and Dorsett and Moncrief playing extended time. There will be lots of players added and the roster churned to create competition and not just on the OL.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Exactly. They don't realize that you need a LOT of wrs and secondary players because you need your 2nd and 3rd string depth for running practices to get your backup qbs action...and in the pre-season games we don't want TY and Dorsett and Moncrief playing extended time. There will be lots of players added and the roster churned to create competition and not just on the OL.

The roster sits at 71 right now, so they're pretty close. Maybe another FA signing or 2, draft, then a crop of UDFAs should put it right at 90.

22 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The roster sits at 71 right now, so they're pretty close. Maybe another FA signing or 2, draft, then a crop of UDFAs should put it right at 90.

Yep...people also forget that some teams are waiting to make cuts on some players until after the draft (if they get some of the guys they are targeting) so we will see some quality players get let go when their replacements are in the fold. So we might see some influx in signings then...and then of course during the cuts during OTAs and pre-season. Signing 1 wr during free agency to a prove it one year contract is nothing to even blink at.....people are just crazy.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Yep...people also forget that some teams are waiting to make cuts on some players until after the draft (if they get some of the guys they are targeting) so we will see some quality players get let go when their replacements are in the fold. So we might see some influx in signings then...and then of course during the cuts during OTAs and pre-season. Signing 1 wr during free agency to a prove it one year contract is nothing to even blink at.....people are just crazy.

For sure. In Ballard's interview during the combine, he said September and October is the best time to pick up really talented players on the cheap, for that exact reason.

11 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

For sure. In Ballard's interview during the combine, he said September and October is the best time to pick up really talented players on the cheap, for that exact reason.

Wonderful...I think it is a good plan to save about half your cap space money for that very reason. We will be in a very good position to go after those guys...guys that teams won't let go unless they have a clear upgrade brought in from fa or the draft. To me those guys have more value because the team might have been willing to go into the year with them if they didn't have an alternative...I like that Ballard said that. Good to know.

Anyone catch Kamar's interview this afternoon on Sirius NFL Channel?

*  He was disappointed that he didn't get a chance to build off of his 2015 season.  When they brought in the rookie, Wallace and Smith came back, he was the 4th option.

* He would get in his WR coach's ear about getting more looks, but he never bugged Flacco.  He said he knows the QB has too many things on his plate to begin with.

* He thinks when they changed OC it had something to do with him falling out of favor.

* When asked where he thinks he'll fit in with the Indy rotation of WRs, he said they told him it's an open competition.

* (I liked this) He works out constantly, he's always played on 1 year deals, and he seems to be a good family man.

Personally, I think he got a lot of balls in 15 because of injuries.  He had almost half of his passes from backup QBs.  They're always more comfortable with the backup guys they practice with.

17 hours ago, csmopar said:

Right but the links I quoted were already taking all that plus the retirements of Mathis and mcAfee into account, you figure those in and you're where you mentioned 

Doubt full, we'd be taking a bigger cap hit by trading or cutting him this year, almost twice as much as he'd be if we carried him for a year yet

Trust superman, he's the forum expert on cap space and hasn't been wrong yet 

I'm wrong plenty, but thanks.