Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

76 of 124, 913 yards

oldunclemark

That's Andrew Luck after 3 games....

303 yards a game...41 attempts a game///6 TDs 2 INTs..2 fumbles

On pace for about 4,950 yards

Now, there's no such thing as pace....every game is different and if we get ahead and blow somebody out (yeah, I know) we wont have to throw as much

Do we ask a little much of him?

We're asking way too much of him.

But today,  the offense was much closer to what the Colts want to be....

37 pass attempts.

Gore ran the ball 21 times for 82 yards.....    he had 70 yards rushing at the half.

We want to be more balanced. 

But over a 16 games schedule,    we want to take pressure off of Luck and the o-line by having him throw LESS than 40 times a game....    not more.

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

37 pass attempts.

Gore ran the ball 21 times for 82 yards.....    he had 70 yards rushing at the half.

But over a 16 games schedule,    we want to take pressure off of Luck and the o-line by having him throw LESS than 40 times a game....    not more.

I agree..my question was somewhat silly....

NFL cities are so self-centered..I can hear ESPN Wisconsin up here and they talk endlessly about why Aaron Rodgers isn't doing it all like he did 2 years ago..

The talk is that the NFL has 'caught up' to Rodgers and he's got to sharpen up his game and adjust..

Ehen Andrew threw one of his 2 interceptions this season, he was holding us back...what's wrong with him....he's never live dup to his potential..overhyped.....wont adjust his game....hasn't improved

....and Luck and Rodgers are 2 of the top 5 in the NFL

1 minute ago, Derakynn said:

Well we would've kept running the ball in 2nd if he didn't hand the Chargers 10 points. That said, the running game was pretty solid today. Was hoping Frank would eclipse the 100, but apparently it just isn't meant to be. 

If he handed Them 10..he handed us 26...

remember...we were played 3 rookie offensive linemen most of the second half...nobody does that and wins

Yea, Gore should have had 100yds today, but Luck threw a bone-headed INT, and then Luck had a bone-headed fumble TD returned on us.

It's like the Colts coaching staff enjoy watching their fans squirm, so they wanted to make the game more exciting. I'm getting tired of it. It's been a long time since I've seen the Colts get off to a great early start, then hold onto that lead. Once they were doing that, they found themselves in a situation they've rarely been in, and we saw what happened as a result.

2 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

Well we would've kept running the ball in 2nd if he didn't hand the Chargers 10 points. That said, the running game was pretty solid today. Was hoping Frank would eclipse the 100, but apparently it just isn't meant to be. 

The interception was a bad play .. no doubt. We can't be sure that the rookie WR didn't run the route poorly but Ok put it all on Luck. However blaming that jail break and Luck trying to limit the loss was not all on him. Some might even argue that the officials were late blowing that play dead.

4 minutes ago, dw49 said:

The interception was a bad play .. no doubt. We can't be sure that the rookie WR didn't run the route poorly but Ok put it all on Luck. However blaming that jail break and Luck trying to limit the loss was not all on him. Some might even argue that the officials were late blowing that play dead.

He should have been ruled down.

Also there was no feasible way for him to "give himself up" like people are saying. He was sandwiched between 3 defenders and was trying to hold onto the ball.

27 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Also there was no feasible way for him to "give himself up" like peofficiatingople are saying. He was sandwiched between 3 defenders and was trying to hold onto the ball.

This

And the league dares says they car about player safety. His forward progress was long past stopped. Horrible horrible officiating  .

4 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

This

And the league dares says they car about player safety. His forward progress was long past stopped. Horrible horrible officiating  .

The whole game was pretty horrible officiating. Both teams had double digit penalties with a lot of questionable calls IMO.  Not a very good day for that crew.

It seemed like we had no trouble running the ball in the first half and then in the second half the Chargers seemed to be able to sniff out all of our run plays... Was it just good adjustment on their part or was it due to our O-line play? (I know Reitz left, but he hasn't played that great the whole season..)

11 minutes ago, Ja'Crispy said:

The whole game was pretty horrible officiating. Both teams had double digit penalties with a lot of questionable calls IMO.  Not a very good day for that crew.

And I believe the CBS Crew were talking about how this officiating crew had 7 guys Ref in superbowls.

Guess experience only takes you so far, huh?

44 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Also there was no feasible way for him to "give himself up" like people are saying. He was sandwiched between 3 defenders and was trying to hold onto the ball.

For some reason Andrew Luck is treated like an old school FB by officials. They can hit him late , hit him in the head and like you said here ... Hold him up , smash him and no whistle..

5 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

And I believe the CBS Crew were talking about how this officiating crew had 7 guys Ref in superbowls.

Guess experience only takes you so far, huh?

They had some tough calls go against them but for the life of me , I can't imagine what they saw on that offensive PI call against the rookie.

Just now, dw49 said:

They had some tough calls go against them but for the life of me , I can't imagine what they saw on that offensive PI call against the rookie.

He did slightly push him, but the way the Chargers guy deviated from the ball (which was because he straight up lost where it was), made it look much worse than it was. That was a huge play too, cause it could have potentially put Indy up 8 in the fourth quarter, with the D looking pretty good.

Just now, NorthernBlue said:

He did slightly push him, but the way the Chargers guy deviated from the ball (which was because he straight up lost where it was), made it look much worse than it was. That was a huge play too, cause it could have potentially put Indy up 8 in the fourth quarter, with the D looking pretty good.

Yeah  ..could be.

7 hours ago, Derakynn said:

Well at least he didn't have Fitzpatrick's game!

We got away from the run in the second half but idk if anyone else noticed after a few good runs by gore someone got a good hit at his legs and he was limping  a couple times after runs and walking to the sideline to be subbed out..I wish we'd run some zone stretch runs with Ferguson and not send him up the middle that's not his game and boy can he catch and run if that was him on the play where gore dropped the ball after the ilb fell to the ground hurt I think Ferguson would've took it far 

I would like to see that completion percentage improve.  Sure, there's been some bad drops, but in the screen game in particular, it's kind of crazy how difficult to execute the Colts make a screen pass look.  lol

I'd like his completion percentage to be between 65%-70%, instead of low 60s high 50s.  I still think this O needs to have quicker passing and more check-downs on what should be easy screens and swings.

11 hours ago, Derakynn said:

I agree. The game went sideways on us after the pick and we mostly abandoned the run. Gore is ready for that elusive 100 yard game. Hopefully in London.

To me, the INT was way worse than the fumble that was returned for the TD.

The INT was a throw that never should've left Luck's hand.  The fumble was three guys stacking him up allowing them to keep ripping at the ball until it came loose, then it was off to the races for the big fella.

I consider the fumble to be less on Luck because there was virtually nothing that he could've done to avoid that (1 guy can hold off 3 for so long), whereas the INT was all his fault.

All that being said, I consider Luck to be the saving grace for this team.  They will win or lose pretty much on the play of Luck alone.  The Colts have next to nobody to rely on to help shoulder the weight.  The D was better, but at times SD moved the ball at will.  The march straight down the field to start the second half was sickening to watch.  Until the Colts field a more complete team Luck will always feel the need to try to do too much to help them win, unfortunately, that will come with some mistakes trying to make something from nothing.  I'm willing to live with that.  At the end of the day it's just a game.

12 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

That's Andrew Luck after 3 games....

303 yards a game...41 attempts a game///6 TDs 2 INTs..2 fumbles

On pace for about 4,950 yards

Now, there's no such thing as pace....every game is different and if we get ahead and blow somebody out (yeah, I know) we wont have to throw as much

Do we ask a little much of him?

Yeah they do, I'd like to see him stop the forcing he seems to get frantic often but their pressure was very good.

2 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I would like to see that completion percentage improve.  Sure, there's been some bad drops, but in the screen game in particular, it's kind of crazy how difficult to execute the Colts make a screen pass look.  lol

I'd like his completion percentage to be between 65%-70%, instead of low 60s high 50s.  I still think this O needs to have quicker passing and more check-downs on what should be easy screens and swings.

I fully agree, we need some 3 step and fire passes than what we do and I still don't understand how this team can't make  a screen pass work to save their life. It has been since Edge was here that weve seemingly been able to run successful screens. But I am with you on the faster passes needed.

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

37 pass attempts.

As others have pointed out, balance is difficult when the O is giving up turnovers resulting in points for the other team.  In the past 2 weeks, Luck's turnovers have lead to 24 points for the other team (10 yesterday, had those turnovers not happened, we go into the half with at least a 13 point lead instead of tied).  Hard to really focus on the run game in the 2nd half when you're playing from behind.

That said, this was the most balanced I've seen the O in quite some time.  Luck hit 6 different WRs, Gore had a very solid first half, and besides the turnovers, the offense was very efficient today.  The D was also very solid, and if not for the offense putting them in bad spots, it is likely the Chargers would have had less than 14 points.

2 hours ago, will426 said:

We got away from the run in the second half but idk if anyone else noticed after a few good runs by gore someone got a good hit at his legs and he was limping  a couple times after runs and walking to the sideline to be subbed out..I wish we'd run some zone stretch runs with Ferguson and not send him up the middle that's not his game and boy can he catch and run if that was him on the play where gore dropped the ball after the ilb fell to the ground hurt I think Ferguson would've took it far 

Ferguson, for the most part, played well.  He definitely shows flashes as a solid receiving threat from the backfield.  He did have a very bad drop at one point in the game, which should have been a ~10 yard reception.  That said, I'm glad they kept him on the regular season roster (many were calling for him to be practice squad or cut), as he certainly shows potential to be a very solid weapon for us.

1 hour ago, MR. Blueblood said:

The INT was a throw that never should've left Luck's hand.  The fumble was three guys stacking him up allowing them to keep ripping at the ball until it came loose, then it was off to the races for the big fella.

I consider the fumble to be less on Luck because there was virtually nothing that he could've done to avoid that (1 guy can hold off 3 for so long), whereas the INT was all his fault.

All that being said, I consider Luck to be the saving grace for this team.  They will win or lose pretty much on the play of Luck alone.  The Colts have next to nobody to rely on to help shoulder the weight.  The D was better, but at times SD moved the ball at will.  The march straight down the field to start the second half was sickening to watch.  Until the Colts field a more complete team Luck will always feel the need to try to do too much to help them win, unfortunately, that will come with some mistakes trying to make something from nothing.  I'm willing to live with that.  At the end of the day it's just a game.

I agree with you, and I think so does Irsay, Pagano, Grigson etc. that this team will go as far as Andrew can take us.  However, there are plenty of players on this team to help shoulder the weight -- TY yesterday showed what a playmaker he is, the OL played (IMO) their best game in a very long time (sure they had a few mistakes, but for most of the day they were doing well in runblocking and pass blocking), and the D looked very good.  Walden really stepped up -- and I agree with Geathers' quote in the locker room after the game, that this D, when healthy, has a chance to really be something special.  Also, Adam Vinatieri helped shoulder the weight, extending his consecutive field goal streak to continue to be the longest current streak in the league and Patty Mac had a couple of very, very good punts which really helped with the field position battle.  So, while I agree that this team will go as far as Luck, I think you're off in saying there is next to nobody to rely on to help shoulder the weight -- we have players on O, D, and STs to help shoulder the weight.... we just need to stay healthy and continue to become more consistent.

5 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I agree with you, and I think so does Irsay, Pagano, Grigson etc. that this team will go as far as Andrew can take us.  However, there are plenty of players on this team to help shoulder the weight -- TY yesterday showed what a playmaker he is, the OL played (IMO) their best game in a very long time (sure they had a few mistakes, but for most of the day they were doing well in runblocking and pass blocking), and the D looked very good.  Walden really stepped up -- and I agree with Geathers' quote in the locker room after the game, that this D, when healthy, has a chance to really be something special.  Also, Adam Vinatieri helped shoulder the weight, extending his consecutive field goal streak to continue to be the longest current streak in the league and Patty Mac had a couple of very, very good punts which really helped with the field position battle.  So, while I agree that this team will go as far as Luck, I think you're off in saying there is next to nobody to rely on to help shoulder the weight -- we have players on O, D, and STs to help shoulder the weight.... we just need to stay healthy and continue to become more consistent.

Sure, I mean Luck isn't out there playing 1 against 46, and while TY showed up yesterday there have been plenty of games where "the ghost" has all but vanished.  Vinatieri is solid as always, but can only do so much.  SD had pressure on Luck most of the game and while Gore looked good in the first half they have yet to open enough holes for a 100yd performance from one of our RBs.  So while it may be considered "their best game in a very long time" to you, they didn't keep #12 clean (cpl sacks, fumble lost, and pretty consistent pressure) and the streak of sub 100yd rusher games continues.  That's hardly a glowing endorsement for the O line play.  This team has a roster littered with players who aren't even close to being some of the best at their positions, save the QB, Punter, and Kicker.  If that's not having much of anybody to help shoulder the weight I don't know what is.

19 hours ago, dw49 said:

For some reason Andrew Luck is treated like an old school FB by officials. They can hit him late , hit him in the head and like you said here ... Hold him up , smash him and no whistle..

People claim Cam doesn't get those calls, well neither does Luck. Lucks been hit late/hit out of bounds and hit in the head many times without a flag. Amazing.

8 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think most QB's take somewhere between 20 and 30 pass attempts per game.  Luck is taking 41 as an average.  

I don't know if it's "asking too much of him" but it's certainly relying too much on his arm.  

His arm is part of him. 

Not sure if I am missing something here.

44 minutes ago, MR. Blueblood said:

Sure, I mean Luck isn't out there playing 1 against 46, and while TY showed up yesterday there have been plenty of games where "the ghost" has all but vanished.  Vinatieri is solid as always, but can only do so much.  SD had pressure on Luck most of the game and while Gore looked good in the first half they have yet to open enough holes for a 100yd performance from one of our RBs.  So while it may be considered "their best game in a very long time" to you, they didn't keep #12 clean (cpl sacks, fumble lost, and pretty consistent pressure) and the streak of sub 100yd rusher games continues.  That's hardly a glowing endorsement for the O line play.  This team has a roster littered with players who aren't even close to being some of the best at their positions, save the QB, Punter, and Kicker.  If that's not having much of anybody to help shoulder the weight I don't know what is.

I'd venture to say Vontae (when healthy) is one of the best at his positions in the NFL -- Mike Adams, D'Qwell Jackson, Frank Gore are also on that list.

We are young in some other positions -- hopefully Ryan Kelly is on the list soon and some of our other young guys on the OL (e.g., Haeg, Clark) can make their way up the list.

I think you're right on TY -- I have said repeatedly that I don't think he's a true #1 WR, but when he is healthy along with Moncrief and Dorsett, I think it's hard to argue that our WR Corps isn't 'close to being' one of the better units in the league.

I think we have to remember that when Luck was drafted, he was drafted as the #1 pick to the worst team in the NFL (IMO, by far the worst team in the NFL).  Sure, Grigs hasn't been perfect with his building of this team -- but there is talent scattered across our roster and there are many examples of players besides Luck stepping up to help this team win during his 35+ victories as a Colt.

3 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I'd venture to say Vontae (when healthy) is one of the best at his positions in the NFL -- Mike Adams, D'Qwell Jackson, Frank Gore are also on that list.

We are young in some other positions -- hopefully Ryan Kelly is on the list soon and some of our other young guys on the OL (e.g., Haeg, Clark) can make their way up the list.

I think you're right on TY -- I have said repeatedly that I don't think he's a true #1 WR, but when he is healthy along with Moncrief and Dorsett, I think it's hard to argue that our WR Corps isn't 'close to being' one of the better units in the league.

I think we have to remember that when Luck was drafted, he was drafted as the #1 pick to the worst team in the NFL (IMO, by far the worst team in the NFL).  Sure, Grigs hasn't been perfect with his building of this team -- but there is talent scattered across our roster and there are many examples of players besides Luck stepping up to help this team win during his 35+ victories as a Colt.

Vontae I can agree with, possibly Adams too, DQ is questionable, and Gore (maybe once upon a time) but currently he is nowhere close to being even thought of as one of the best RBs in the league.

8 hours ago, MR. Blueblood said:

They have been competetive in all three games, what you talking about? And all teams rely on their QB. But it is only a game, agreed....

21 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Yea, Gore should have had 100yds today, but Luck threw a bone-headed INT, and then Luck had a bone-headed fumble TD returned on us.

It's like the Colts coaching staff enjoy watching their fans squirm, so they wanted to make the game more exciting. I'm getting tired of it. It's been a long time since I've seen the Colts get off to a great early start, then hold onto that lead. Once they were doing that, they found themselves in a situation they've rarely been in, and we saw what happened as a result.

They are the reason why I have to order Tums through the mail by the boxes!

19 minutes ago, MR. Blueblood said:

Vontae I can agree with, possibly Adams too, DQ is questionable, and Gore (maybe once upon a time) but currently he is nowhere close to being even thought of as one of the best RBs in the league.

I think Gore is still pretty solid... he looked very good yesterday when given the chance.

He's been a victim of a terrible line (last year), and a lack of plan to incorporate the run game since he's been here (aside from the first half of yesterday's game).

DQ led the AFC in tackles his first year with us and had 79 tackles in 7 games last year... Sio Moore seems to have replaced him as our 'tackling machine' this year, but DQ has been pretty darn good since he's been here.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

People claim Cam doesn't get those calls, well neither does Luck. Lucks been hit late/hit out of bounds and hit in the head many times without a flag. Amazing.

Cam runs the ball for 5-600 yards per season with 6-8 tds. I mean no question they do everything but hit him with 2 by 4's , but maybe they protect him less because the Panthers  use him as a bettering ram ?

46 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Cam runs the ball for 5-600 yards per season with 6-8 tds. I mean no question they do everything but hit him with 2 by 4's , but maybe they protect him less because the Panthers  use him as a bettering ram ?

lol, I'm suprised he's not RGiii status yet.  Cam seems banged to crap this year though.  Fortunately for him his body is built like an M1 Abrams tank. 

10 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I know you know that some of those incompletions are throwaways under pressure.

Completion percentage is a  bad, bad stat..../ Good QBs throw the ball away when there's no play..

22 hours ago, Derakynn said:

I think Haeg should remain a starter the rest of the year.  He's the real deal.  When we had to bring in Harrison, running wasn't an option anymore.