Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hindsight : 20-20 Would you have paid TY Hilton?

Horseshoe

Ty Contract  

85 members have voted

1. 1. In Hindsight would you uave paid TY?

• Yes
    • Let him walk

His contract was 65m/years 39 guaranteed.  I think we would have been better off letting him walk for that kind of money.  Sure he has the numbers, but I think thats more of a product of QB then talent.  He is good wr, just not worth top tier money.  I think this contract will handicap the next GM(hopefully) as well.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Horseshoe said:

His contract was 65m/years 39 guaranteed.  I think we would have been better off letting him walk for that kind of money.  Sure he has the numbers, but I think thats more of a product of QB then talent.  He is good wr, just not worth top tier money.  I think this contract will handicap the next GM(hopefully) as well.

What QB?

Luck had a bad season and Hass has trouble throwing deep. TY's contract not the reason were 6-8.

41 minutes ago, Horseshoe said:

I would have let him walk he disappears when we need him most not worth the money of number 1 WR.

The problem with T.Y. is that I think the talent is there for him to be a #1 receiver, but he is so inconsistent game to game. I don't have any numbers in front of me, but it seems like one week he will have 100 receiving yards with a TD, and the next 1 catch for 12 yards. Your #1 needs to have a higher "floor" than that. He also definitely disappears at times which is not a trait you want in a #1. As far as whether he is worth the money, it is hard to say at this point when Luck has been out for so much of the season and is able to utilize TY much more effectively than MH.

No one could have foreseen a season without Luck for 7 games, so for me it's hard to say without playing the hindsight game. T.Y. is still young. This is only his 4th season. His first 3 have been better, statistically, than Marvin Harrison's. Of course, Marvin played for Harbaugh in 96-97 and a rookie Manning in 98, and didn't really take off until 1999. TY has had Luck and much better results. He does disappear at times, but I also think part of that is the lack of a complementary WR. Good teams make him disappear bc they can shut him down. Marvin learned to beat that as he developed. But he also had Reggie, Pollard/Clark too....Reggie was waning when TY was drafted. Moncrief has been the closest thing to that, and he's still developing. In the right system I think he will be great. He has been solid, but to take the next step he needs a healthy Luck, Moncrief to keep learning, and Dorsett to be what he is supposed to be. He needs a solid #2 to take some of the pressure off him. 

But, given this year, and the mess it was, I give it an "incomplete" (no pun intended)

2 hours ago, Horseshoe said:

The salary cap is going up -- way up -- over the next TV contract,  so there will be plenty of room for everything we want.

The salary cap, or contract's like TY Hilton,  isn't the problem.

It's getting a GM and a HC on the same page,  and have a tandem that makes far fewer mistakes in personnel.

We're 4-years into this GM/HC and the roster isn't close to where it needs to be.    Too many mistakes.

TYH isn't struggling this year because he's not very good.

He's struggling because the entire offense has mostly collapsed.    It's not very well coordinated.    That's not a shot at Chud.     He's doing the best he can under difficult circumstances.     But with a 40-year old QB who is beaten up and tired and now has a limited skill set combined with an atrocious o-line,  there's only so much you can do.

We can't even run for a yard on 3rd and 1.     We struggle to do even the basic things.

TYH would be fine if we had a good o-line,  a healthy Andrew Luck,  a solid running game,  and a coordinated offense.     Hilton would be great.     And no one would be asking such questions.....

No wide receiver is worth that much. Period. That's quarterback money.

Wide receivers are just one piece of a whole puzzle. A quarterback is the mastermind.

It's like if every wide receiver was good, they would get paid qb money, this team is heading to cap space big trouble.

4 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

Wide receivers are just one piece of a whole puzzle. A quarterback is the mastermind.

It's like if every wide receiver was good, they would get paid qb money, this team is heading to cap space big trouble.

Antonio Brown is worth it.  

1 hour ago, bap1331 said:

Of course they are.    lots of receivers are worth that kind of money.    Period.

Don't you EVER get tired of being so spectacularly wrong?

I realize you're incredibly young -- but, come on.................      :facepalm:

p.s. --  when it comes to cap space,  we are one of the best managed teams in the entire NFL.     So,  wrong again!!

7 hours ago, Booker23 said:

He has 1016 yards and 5 TDs this season, why is this a question

Agreed. Would have had 1200-1300 yards and probably 7+ TD had Luck been healthy.

Would have been his best year yet.

As far as OP's question goes, of course we did the right thing paying him.

10 hours ago, Bubba said:

Uhhhhh, that would be a huge NO!!!  I definitely would not have paid him.  He is not worth the money we paid for him.  What was it, something like 65Mil for basically a number 3 receiver....what a waste of $$$$$.

a number 3 receiver? this is a joke right? 

He has over 1000 yards with the combination of Luck playing like he got tips from Tim Tebow on how to play QB, Hasselbeck,,,whos 40. Whitehurst whos been here 1 month and 9 days. We also don't do a very good job moving him around and getting him the ball in the slot I don't think

8 hours ago, Booker23 said:

He has 1016 yards and 5 TDs this season, why is this a question

All with the messes we've had at quarterback! This place would really benefit from an IQ test to determine membership eligibility.

If I had to guess, I'd say his knee has been giving him some trouble during the season from when he hurt it in Buffalo.

He's had a down season by what we expected of him, but that is the case with this entire organization this season. In fact, TY has been the least disappointing aspect of this season. Where everyone else from top to bottom has been greatly underwhelming, TY has only been slightly underwhelming. 

TY's contract is about as team-friendly as it gets, especially when you dig into the details, so I'm personally pretty happy that they got the deal done.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/8/17/9169771/details-on-t-y-hiltons-five-year-contract-extension-with-the-colts

From Stampede Blue:

"Much of Hilton's guaranteed money is guaranteed for injury only.  Florio notes that only $11 million is guaranteed at signing (the $10 million signing bonus and the $1 million in guaranteed salary this year), while the rest is only guaranteed for injury.  That's true of the roster bonus that triggers on the fifth day of the 2016 league year, that's true of the base salary for 2016 (until the fifth day of the 2016 league year), and that's true of the 2017 base salary (until the fifth day of the 2017 league year).  By the time 2018 rolls around, the money is only guaranteed for injury."

Screenshot_12_21_15_10_43_AM.jpg

Err what?  Did I miss something?  Is TY somehow disappointing or underwhelming the year after we paid him?  I mean cmon... He has had less than stellar QB play and the ineptness of inept at OC and still put up what like a 1000 yards and 5 TDs?  Moncrief I think will be the better receiver but he will need TY to help.  We got a playmaker on a great team friendly deal... What more do you want?