Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nick Saban

Detectacon

I like his site to get information, but Florio is a horrible writer. I wish he would leave the writing to others.

Also, didn't Irsay want Saban as head coach when he was at Michigan State, but Polian would not give him the amount of control Saban wanted?

Maybe that was Lou Saban way back in the day when his dad was owner?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say we go the Ebbsfleet route, it would be the only way to keep the forum happy. Irsay sells the team to the forum posters as a group who then GM via poll. That is to say all decisions are made using a forum poll.

I would say this is somewhat sarcastic but I know there's posters who'd be all for it.

With all the couch GMs and couch coaches on here, we would surely win multiple super bowls in a row if Irsay did that.

Other than Andrew Luck,  I'm not sure what personnel you think the Colts have that the Dolphins of roughly 10-12 years ago didn't?

Also,  don't get too worked up about his stint in Miami...

Remember,  neither Bill Belichick or Pete Carroll did all that well their first time either....

I never said anything about the Dolphins of 10-12 years ago.

Bob Kravitz believes Irsay is all about it. To be honest, I'm kind of down the line on this. I see how it could work out, given that Pete Carroll and a few other coaches have had success after failing the first time. But as some others have said, he will inevitably want full control over personnel and players too which means Grigson would likely be out too. On the flip side, if Saban fails, you are really in hot water given that both your coaching staff AND players are tied to that coach.

Twice this year i mentioned on this forum that I heard from a former player who is close to the organization that Saban would be coaching the Colts next year. The first time he mentioned it was after the first game and said Saban flew up here twice on Irsay's plane. I agree with Superman that he does run a pro offense. He became successful by surrounding himself with very good assistant coaches that comes with time. I really like Chuck but I think his downfall was not surrounding himself with good assistants.

Saban would sure bring a great deal of notoriety. I think a billionaire like Irsay could afford him.

idontbelieveyou.gif

Twice this year i mentioned on this forum that I heard from a former player who is close to the organization that Saban would be coaching the Colts next year. The first time he mentioned it was after the first game and said Saban flew up here twice on Irsay's plane. I agree with Superman that he does run a pro offense. He became successful by surrounding himself with very good assistant coaches that comes with time. I really like Chuck but I think his downfall was not surrounding himself with good assistants.

Saban would sure bring a great deal of notoriety. I think a billionaire like Irsay could afford him.

Billionaire? I'm not so sure.

I like his site to get information, but Florio is a horrible writer. I wish he would leave the writing to others.

Also, didn't Irsay want Saban as head coach when he was at Michigan State, but Polian would not give him the amount of control Saban wanted?

ESPN and PFT always get this story wrong. It was Polian who wanted Saban, but Irsay talked him into simply meeting with Dungy....and Polian was sold. It was never Irsay pushing for Saban.

Nick Saban would be a DISASTER and total waste of Andrew Luck!  Saban never produces NFL quality QB's when he could recruit just about anyone he wanted.  It's just not an important position for him  He wants a game manager to manage his system.  If we had no QB, then perhaps I could see it, but with Luck, we need someone with a reputation for utilizing and working with top notch pro style QB's.   I think the PERFECT coach for us would have been Harbaugh, but we all know it is unlikely he'd leave Michigan so soon.  

I also hate the idea of having some new guy come in, who is 100% unproven in the NFL, and give him total control.  

Not to mention, Saban is already 64 years old meaning he'd be one of the oldest coaches out of the gate.  We need a long term coach with the energy and longevity to stabilize us and go on a long long run with Andrew Luck.  I'd rather keep Pagano who is old enough already at 55.  

At this point, I would be a lot more confident with Saban making decisions with the team. I don't know what to think about Grigson, but I don't want to wait another 3-4 lackluster seasons to find out. Saban is a sure fire winner. if allowed to run the team his way, he could be successful at the pro level.

Nick Saban would be a DISASTER and total waste of Andrew Luck!  Saban never produces NFL quality QB's when he could recruit just about anyone he wanted.  It's just not an important position for him  He wants a game manager to manage his system.  If we had no QB, then perhaps I could see it, but with Luck, we need someone with a reputation for utilizing and working with top notch pro style QB's.   I think the PERFECT coach for us would have been Harbaugh, but we all know it is unlikely he'd leave Michigan so soon.  

I also hate the idea of having some new guy come in, who is 100% unproven in the NFL, and give him total control.  

Not to mention, Saban is already 64 years old meaning he'd be one of the oldest coaches out of the gate.  We need a long term coach with the energy and longevity to stabilize us and go on a long long run with Andrew Luck.  I'd rather keep Pagano who is old enough already at 55.

Who exactly is "producing" NFL quarterbacks?

If the QB isn't important to him why did he go after Drew Bree's when he was in the NFL?

And keeping Chuck over Saban? Oh brother......

ESPN and PFT always get this story wrong. It was Polian who wanted Saban, but Irsay talked him into simply meeting with Dungy....and Polian was sold. It was never Irsay pushing for Saban.

Interesting, I don't remember hearing that before.

Interesting, I don't remember hearing that before.

Both Mike Chappell and Phil B said it was well known among people who covered the Colts. Polian later confirmed the Dungy part of the story on 1070..... but I don't think he ever mentioned Saban or whomever was his preference before he met Dungy.

Nick Saban would be a DISASTER and total waste of Andrew Luck! Saban never produces NFL quality QB's when he could recruit just about anyone he wanted. It's just not an important position for him He wants a game manager to manage his system. If we had no QB, then perhaps I could see it, but with Luck, we need someone with a reputation for utilizing and working with top notch pro style QB's. I think the PERFECT coach for us would have been Harbaugh, but we all know it is unlikely he'd leave Michigan so soon.

Not to mention, Saban is already 64 years old meaning he'd be one of the oldest coaches out of the gate. We need a long term coach with the energy and longevity to stabilize us and go on a long long run with Andrew Luck. I'd rather keep Pagano who is old enough already at 55.

You don't need a QB in college. Your job is to win games and titles, not produce NFL talent. Auburn is regularly a top team in the country and they haven't had a top QB since Newton.

And I would be okay with giving him 100% control as long as he has a GM or team president to keep him in check. It makes since to let coaches pick their own players anyways.

Who exactly is "producing" NFL quarterbacks?

If the QB isn't important to him why did he go after Drew Bree's when he was in the NFL?

And keeping Chuck over Saban? Oh brother......

Saban hasn't produced one starting quality QB even in the midst of his success. I would certainly hire him to coach and fix the O-Line since that is a strength, but his offense doesn't utilize (nor apparently find) QB's with Luck's talent.  What evidence is there to show he'd be a good option for the Colts?  He FAILED miserably and ran away after his last attempt in the NFL.   He's a college coach, where he gets the cream of the crop year after year at all position groups.   He will not have any such luxury in the NFL.  He's not a coach, say from a smaller or less top end school, who has to demonstrate that he can develop talent and get much more from them than they came to him with.  He simply has 3 guys at nearly any starting spot available to plug in that are usually better than his competition.  He'll never have such an advantage.  You ask who DOES develop great QB's,. I would look to smaller schools who still play tough and successfully against better schools with higher profiles.  He doesn't really have to develop anything, he just uses the blunt force power of the program name to get the best ingredients year after year and let's them do their thing.   Why in the world do you think he could come here and have lasting success, especially when he has to do it with 4, 5, 6, 7th round picks and UDFA's?  He seems to live in the extreme opposite world than a coach like Belichick who proves he can do more with less.   All Saban has ever done is more with more than anyone else.  

PS: hmmm... didn't he FAIL to get Dree Brees?  So you're making my point.  If he has to play in the NFL reality, he's not suited.  

Saban hasn't produced one starting quality QB even in the midst of his success. I would certainly hire him to coach and fix the O-Line since that is a strength, but his offense doesn't utilize (nor apparently find) QB's with Luck's talent.  What evidence is there to show he'd be a good option for the Colts?  He FAILED miserably and ran away after his last attempt in the NFL.   He's a college coach, where he gets the cream of the crop year after year at all position groups.   He will not have any such luxury in the NFL.  He's not a coach, say from a smaller or less top end school, who has to demonstrate that he can develop talent and get much more from them than they came to him with.  He simply has 3 guys at nearly any starting spot available to plug in that are usually better than his competition.  He'll never have such an advantage.  You ask who DOES develop great QB's,. I would look to smaller schools who still play tough and successfully against better schools with higher profiles.  He doesn't really have to develop anything, he just uses the blunt force power of the program name to get the best ingredients year after year and let's them do their thing.   Why in the world do you think he could come here and have lasting success, especially when he has to do it with 4, 5, 6, 7th round picks and UDFA's?  He seems to live in the extreme opposite world than a coach like Belichick who proves he can do more with less.   All Saban has ever done is more with more than anyone else.  

PS: hmmm... didn't he FAIL to get Dree Brees?  So you're making my point.  If he has to play in the NFL reality, he's not suited.  

He somehow managed to go 9-7 his first year as a HC at Miami with Gus Frerotte as the Dolphins starting QB in 2005 with not much to throw to except Chris Chambers

In 2006 he had Joey Harrington as his QB who proceeded to throw 15 picks to only 12 TD's in 11 starts after Culpepper got hurt

Irsay is worth a billion or two billion. I read this a while ago, he is actually at the top of the league just under Paul Allen, Bob Kraft, Jerry Jones and the Jags owner in net worth for NFL owners.

A lot of it for Irsay is with inheritance. 

As for Saban, I don't think this even happens with the Colts. And I don't really want him as well. I think we have to deal with all the rumors since they have been starting before the season even started.

Saban also would cost a lot of money, he don't come cheap. And he always struck me as major jerk from what I have heard as well. I am not sure he would even get along with Irsay or Grigson.

^ The most sensible post in this thread so far.

Irsay is worth a billion or two billion. I read this a while ago, he is actually at the top of the league just under Paul Allen, Bob Kraft, Jerry Jones and the Jags owner in net worth for NFL owners.

A lot of it for Irsay is with inheritance.

As for Saban, I don't think this even happens with the Colts. And I don't really want him as well. I think we have to deal with all the rumors since they have been starting before the season even started.

Saban also would cost a lot of money, he don't come cheap. And he always struck me as major jerk from what I have heard as well. I am not sure he would even get along with Irsay or Grigson.

Irsay isn't in the top ten richest owners

Irsay isn't in the top ten richest owners

NFL owners.

Do some research someday and search hard.

No need to get back to me either......

Irsay's inheritance is HUGE. He isn't Paul Allen, Kraft or Jerry Jones or the Jags owner from Pakistan.....but he's pretty darn rich. He's not as self made, more born into it rich which is why I think some hate him at times.

NFL owners.

Do some research someday and search hard.

No need to get back to me either......

Irsay's inheritance is HUGE. He isn't Paul Allen, Kraft or Jerry Jones or the Jags owner from Pakistan.....but he's pretty darn rich. He's not as self made, more born into it rich which is why I think some hate him at times.

They are all rich. But Irsay isn't in the top ten richest nfl owners

http://www.chatsports.com/nfl/a/How-Much-Is-Each-NFL-Owner-Worth-19465

Posted Yesterday, 11:56 AM

SteelCityColt, on 13 Nov 2015 - 02:50 AM, said:snapback.png

I say we go the Ebbsfleet route, it would be the only way to keep the forum happy. Irsay sells the team to the forum posters as a group who then GM via poll. That is to say all decisions are made using a forum poll.

I would say this is somewhat sarcastic but I know there's posters who'd be all for it.

With all the couch GMs and couch coaches on here, we would surely win multiple super bowls in a row if Irsay did that.

There would be a continuous stream of threads calling for the firing of each other...