Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck is the best QB in the NFL?

bap1331

I realized, Peyton and Tom are good to a certain point only. When you stack a really good defense against them, they have no chance. Peyton had the one of the best WR corps of all time but obviously the teams focus wasn't there....

Put Andrew Luck against a good defense, he will quickly find a way to pick it apart. Even if it means running for his life, he gets around it.

Down by 35 points? No problem, he will not give up on his team. He will lift his teams spirit up and turn the game around.

Tom was absolutely not focused at all in the game vs. Denver. Neither was Peyton in the Super Bowl.

I think it is time to revise this list, not including Super Bowls but its the start of a new era:

1. Andrew Luck

2. Drew Brees

3. Aaron Rodgers

4. Peyton Manning

5. Tom Brady

It really disappointed me to see how the Broncos performed today, it was horrendous..and feel like the Colts would have done much better then to give a free Super Bowl to the Seahawks like that. So glad we picked up Andrew Luck....

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:facepalm:  - that is all I have to say.

If you model on offense, that is what will happen.

Happened to Bills vs Cowboys, I think the last 35 point blowout was Bills vs Cowboys.

The worst blowout was the loaded 49ers team vs the Broncos 55-10 who made it through what was a weaker AFC then.

That Seahawks team is good and loaded from top to bottom, great cap management and talent management. They are 2 deep in almost all defensive spots, mighty hard to beat a team with such depth.

I think Rodgers is the best by Luck is not too far behind him. The Seahawks team is young but if the 49ers don't beat them, they'll be back in the superbowl again. The Packers are the only team other then the 49ers in the NFC that can beat them but they can never get pass the Giants or 49ers.

Were one of the only teams in the AFC capable of beating them because of Luck's mobility. Steerlers have a slim chance because Big Ben hangs in the pocket and buy time but pocket passers like Peyton, Brady, and Rivers don't stand a chance.

While I tend to actually believe that Luck really is in fact the best QB in the league already, it's not something that you can get away with saying. You've gotta have a ring before people will let you get away with that sort of talk.

That said, Luck is a natural leader, athletic, throws a great deep ball, and a ferocious competitor. He has decision making lapses from time to time but that's just about his only weakness in just his 2nd year in the league. He is playing behind a pathetic pass protection and without a good run game, which drags down his efficiency, but I do think he's actually better than Brady, Manning, Brees, and Rogers.

Again, this isn't a popular view around the league right now. But when I look at what Luck does on a team with an average defense, below average O-line, and no big name weapons around him, I can't see anyone doing better.

Seattle has the best defense ever in the history of the NFL. Don't care what anyone says, that's my story & I'm sticking with it.

Completely shutdown Peyton Manning.

Also, I believe Peyton should retire this off-season. That was flat out embarrassing. Break all those records & win multiple awards just to get smacked on worldwide television

Seattle has the best defense ever in the history of the NFL. Don't care what anyone says, that's my story & I'm sticking with it.

Also, I believe Peyton should retire this off-season. That was flat out embarrassing. Break all those records & win multiple awards just to get smacked on worldwide television

lol no...im still sticking with the 2000 Baltimore Ravens. The Broncos offense just wasn't focused...

I realized, Peyton and Tom are good to a certain point only. When you stack a really good defense against them, they have no chance. Peyton had the one of the best WR corps of all time but obviously the teams focus wasn't there....

Put Andrew Luck against a good defense, he will quickly find a way to pick it apart. Even if it means running for his life, he gets around it.

Down by 35 points? No problem, he will not give up on his team. He will lift his teams spirit up and turn the game around.

Tom was absolutely not focused at all in the game vs. Denver. Neither was Peyton in the Super Bowl.

I think it is time to revise this list, not including Super Bowls but its the start of a new era:

1. Andrew Luck

2. Drew Brees

3. Aaron Rodgers

4. Peyton Manning

5. Tom Brady

It really disappointed me to see how the Broncos performed today, it was horrendous..and feel like the Colts would have done much better then to give a free Super Bowl to the Seahawks like that. So glad we picked up Andrew Luck....

The Broncos didn't give the Seahawks a free Super Bowl, the Seahawks took that game from the Broncos, proving to be a much better team. And how does the fact that the Seahawks shut down Peyton Manning somehow make Andrew Luck the best QB in the game? Look, every quarterback sometimes faces a defense that is just too much for them to handle, and that was the case tonight for Peyton Manning. Luck has shown that he is a special player but he is still a long way away from being the best in the league.

Luck still has a lot of learning and growing to do.  He isn't the best QB in the league right now, and I don't even know about top 5 right now.  Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Peyton (not in that order), and then the 5th spot is a tossup between a lot of guys.  He's certainly on his way to being one of, if not the, best QB in the league, but he isn't quite there yet.

He won't retire with that sour of a taste in his mouth. And were you old enough to see the 2000 Ravens? Or how about the Super Bowl Buccaneers?

*Sigh*

Great: In whatever your order of choice:
Rodgers

Manning

Brady

Brees

Very Good:

Rivers (Though he played great this year, he lacks the consistency of the above names.)

Romo

Luck. Maybe. So far. If he plays consistently well he'll move up. Maybe not great, but I can see him surpassing Rivers and Romo. If he ever gets a run game and O-line worth their salt, watch out. The Colts need a D just as badly, though.

Good:

Wilson

Kaepernick

A host of others

Happened to Bills vs Cowboys, I think the last 35 point blowout was Bills vs Cowboys.

The worst blowout was the loaded 49ers team vs the Broncos 55-10 who made it through what was a weaker AFC then.

That Seahawks team is good and loaded from top to bottom, great cap management and talent management. They are 2 deep in almost all defensive spots, mighty hard to beat a team with such depth.

Bills had an excellent defense in 1990, probably the best of the entire league. That pass rush was down right scary if I remember correctly. They should have won that Super Bowl over the Giants, it was theirs and of course Norwood choked it away.

The Giants were very very lucky in 1990. The 49ers would have probably beat them had Montana not been crushed to pieces in that game with the injury that would ultimately ruin him for good. Then against the Bills, Holester taking the safety and not fumbling is what really won them the game besides Norwood choking. People forget that safety but I truly believe that was a huge part.

In 1991 and 1992 both those seasons the Bills D ranked 31st overall, and you see what happened. They got blown out bad against Washington (but damage control eased some of the pain in the 4th quarter) and then Dallas just totally wiped the floor with them.

Not entirely sure but I think in 1993 they had a top 10 defense. Their defense was better in 1993 than the previous two years. They just got totally out played in 3 of those 4 Super Bowls.

I love those old Bills teams. If anyone deserved a ring and didn't get it, it was those guys. To keep going back again and again after being humiliated the way they were over and over, takes a lot of guts. The final time was hard to watch. It was like watching some poor guy have his heart torn out and stomped into a million pieces. The looks on their faces, and Thurman Thomas blaming himself after the game was incredibly heart breaking.

If they had just came away winning only one of those Super Bowls, half of that team would be in the Hall of Fame.

I started a thread when the Colts got eliminated from the playoffs about how Luck had 7 interceptions in his two playoff appearances. I made the comment can we at least acknowledge that Luck isn't a top 5 quarterback yet and doesn't belong in the same group as Manning and Brady.  I was laughed at. I was told no one actually believes Luck is a top 5 quarterback.  Thank you for proving my point that people here in this very forum consider him not top 5 but better than Brady and Manning and in fact the best.  I don't agree with the assessment that he is a top 5 but its nice to see that I wasn't crazy and all those who criticized me and said no one believes Luck is a top 5 quarterback were all wrong.

they gonna have problem in year or 2 with cap tho dont see them keeping all that talent unless the dont want no offence lol

Russel and cam are better than luck

Wilson is still a game manager on a loaded team with a great defense.  Their defense carried them through the season and the playoffs.  

He's better then Trent Dilfer but he's still in the same mold.  

It wasn't like the Seahawks won the game cause Wilson was slinging the ball around.  

I started a thread when the Colts got eliminated from the playoffs about how Luck had 7 interceptions in his two playoff appearances. I made the comment can we at least acknowledge that Luck isn't a top 5 quarterback yet and doesn't belong in the same group as Manning and Brady. I was laughed at. I was told no one actually believes Luck is a top 5 quarterback. Thank you for proving my point that people here in this very forum consider him not top 5 but better than Brady and Manning and in fact the best. I don't agree with the assessment that he is a top 5 but its nice to see that I wasn't crazy and all those who criticized me and said no one believes Luck is a top 5 quarterback were all wrong.

listen man i truly believe that luck is the best QB in the game... take any other QB in the game and put him on the colts during our regular season/playoff run and they won't even come close to performing as good as luck was able to with what he had. I dont care if its peyton or brady if you put them behind our o-line they will get sacked or have to through the ball away almost every single play...now if you cant picture that.. just imagine A luck on the seahawks or any other team in the game. Will he not boost them?...heck yeah he would and it would not even be fair to the rest of the nfl!.

Seahawks played lights out defense last night.

The 85 Bears were in the backfield by the time a QB had taken one step.....Steel Curtain...some of the old Cowboy and Redskin defenses.  

The kids today are bigger, faster and stronger, but for the times those defenses were stifling...

I'd go so far as to say anyone who thinks Luck isn't a top 5 QB doesn't understand football well enough. Luck isn't playing with a lot of talent around him, that decreases a QB's efficiency numbers and the odds of the QB winning. To pull off some of the things he did with an interior offensive line crisis and losing his #1 target midway through the season is harder than riding what is probably the best defense of the past decade to a Superbowl. And oh yeah, Luck & the Colts put up 34 points against that defense btw.

Wilson is still a game manager on a loaded team with a great defense. Their defense carried them through the season and the playoffs.

He's better then Trent Dilfer but he's still in the same mold.

It wasn't like the Seahawks won the game cause Wilson was slinging the ball around.

Game manager with 2 TDs and 110+ passer rating

I'm guessing you're an expert on the 1985 Bears and the 2000 Ravens to be able to make this judgement, right?

Colts could learn a lesson on how to build a defense.  Defense win games, "Hello Pagano and company!!!@"

:facepalm: Um, hello...they've been working on building it since Pagano and Grigson got here, and in their first seasons they had next to zero cap space to make any significant moves so really they've been at it for one year so far.  The Seahawks did not build that defense in one offseason. 

I disagree with both.

I'd go so far as to say anyone who thinks Luck isn't a top 5 QB doesn't understand football well enough. Luck isn't playing with a lot of talent around him, that decreases a QB's efficiency numbers and the odds of the QB winning. To pull off some of the things he did with an interior offensive line crisis and losing his #1 target midway through the season is harder than riding what is probably the best defense of the past decade to a Superbowl. And oh yeah, Luck & the Colts put up 34 points against that defense btw.

And I would go so far as to say anyone who thinks Luck is already a top 5 QB needs to trade in their homer glasses.  He is certainly one of the best YOUNG QB's but he still has some things to learn and areas of his game to improve on.  I would be hesitant to put him in the top 10 at this point, let alone the top 5.  I do believe he will be there in the next couple of years though but at this point in time, no I would not put him in the top 5.  

Now if you want to slightly alter the discussion and talk about the best QB's to start building a franchise around then yes, Luck absolutely is top 5 in that discussion.

Yea, i would have to say luck is.  He's done more with so much less.  I'm telling you give Luck a defense that doesn't have to score 4 or 5 TDs to win in every game and an good Oline and he will win.  We were the only team in the NFL that scored over 20 pts vs seattle and we scored 34.  As much as i love peyton, I'm done win him because of too many disappointments.  Its the era of Luck.

This is what I fear I will have to look at until Luck wins a SB. In my mind AL>RW isn't even up for debate. Number 1 defense, beast mode, an averaging under 200 ypg in the playoffs is not carrying a team at the QB position. He did what he had to do, and was efficient at it. That's still not enough for me to even begin to consider he's above Andrew Luck. Every B/R, ESPN, and NFL.com page I visit now will be overrun with these Seahawks fans, and it breaks my heart.

Game manager with 2 TDs and 110+ passer rating

Didn't even win the Superbowl MVP award.  Which is an award they almost by default hand to the winning QB except when he doesn't do much and just rides his team to victory.  

Passer rating is meaningless and stupid.  It's easy to get a high passer rating when you know your defense can win you the game and you don't have to force anything or make any big plays.  It's easy to get a high passer rating when you know Marshawn Lynch is good for 150 yards a game.  

Put Wilson on another team and he's decidedly average.

Didn't even win the Superbowl MVP award. Which is an award they almost by default hand to the winning QB except when he doesn't do much and just rides his team to victory.

Passer rating is meaningless and stupid. It's easy to get a high passer rating when you know your defense can win you the game and you don't have to force anything or make any big plays. It's easy to get a high passer rating when you know Marshawn Lynch is good for 150 yards a game.

Put Wilson on another team and he's decidedly average.

Didn't win it because a guy had a int return fumble recovery and tackles so ...

1. Andrew Luck

2. Drew Brees

3. Aaron Rodgers

4. Peyton Manning

5. Tom Brady

Is this the same Andrew Luck that threw 7 interceptions in the post season? Didn't the Colts get blown out by the Patriots who were then easily handled by the Broncos. Luck is very good and he is developing nicely. I don't see how you can rate him ahead of Wilson and Cam Newton but that is just my opinion. I am new here and I am amazed at this and another thread about Luck.

1. Andrew Luck

2. Drew Brees

3. Aaron Rodgers

4. Peyton Manning

5. Tom Brady

A Poor NE defense made Andrew look like a Dunce. Andrew does throw a lot of Excellent deeper balls, other than that he is not a very good QB just yet. Like Manning, he benefits GREATLY from the Low Life AFC South and other poor AFC competition.

We hope (EXPECT) he developes much better mental agility and learns to throw a consistently more accurate ball in the short to medium range.

He will be several years in TRYING to catch up to Russel Wilson in these important areas.

I would agree he was not a Top 7 QB this season.

I would also say he seems to have an intangible rating of the likes one sees among the All-Time Greats.

That does not make me Expect him to win a Single SB. The GM and Owner will have to be Excellent at their jobs.

Our Guy watched tape of Satele and Hired him. He watched McGlynn and brought him back. Much More to NOT like!

A Gimme draft then Indy Colts Homers go blind to Reality.