Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck is the best QB in the NFL?

bap1331

I meant it to be inclusive of all non - Colts fans, including the "professional" analysts and talking heads. Many will see Wilson as the better young qb right now, justified or not.

No they don't. Very few analysts think Wilson is better than Luck. Hell, very few talking heads think that.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg Cosell was on the colin cowherd show the other day after talking to coaches at the combine about Wilson and Luck. According to him, the consensus was that Wilson was an above average QB on a great team and they practically laughed at the notion that Wilson is better than Luck.

Didn't we learn just last year that anointing a guy just because he won a SB is silly?

Greg Cosell was on the colin cowherd show the other day after talking to coaches at the combine about Wilson and Luck. According to him, the consensus was that Wilson was an above average QB on a great team and they practically laughed at the notion that Wilson is better than Luck.

Didn't we learn just last year that anointing a guy just because he won a SB is silly?

This post makes Raven's fans sad.  (that's a good thing though)

It's easy to see Luck's size, arm strength and mobility and drool over his potential compared to Wilson's smaller size and intangibles. Many of Wilson's qualities - leadership, intelligence, decision making, preparedness, coolness under pressure, and ability to make the big play at crucial times - become evident only when you see him play week after week which most coaches don't, especially in the AFC. Wilson is more accurate and simply doesn't make the kind of mistakes that Luck makes even while routinely facing tougher defenses in the NFC West.

Luck may prove his supporters right over the long run but is going to have to produce more on the field at some point to continue to justify claims that he's better than Wilson.

No they don't. Very few analysts think Wilson is better than Luck. Hell, very few talking heads think that.

Semantics. We're equivocating on the meaning of the word "many" when the point is that after only 2 seasons nobody has locked down "best of his class" title yet.

I think we'd both rather have Luck, but he's certainly not the best qb in the nfl, which is my answer to the question posed in the thread title.

It's easy to see Luck's size, arm strength and mobility and drool over his potential compared to Wilson's smaller size and intangibles. Many of Wilson's qualities - leadership, intelligence, decision making, preparedness, coolness under pressure, and ability to make the big play at crucial times - become evident only when you see him play week after week which most coaches don't, especially in the AFC. Wilson simply doesn't make the kind of mistakes that Luck makes and is more accurate and efficient, even though he routinely faces tougher defenses in the NFC West.

At some point Luck is going to have to produce more on the field to continue to justify claims that he's better than Wilson.

Oh good god. Wilson makes a few plays a game because that's all he has to do. You really think coaches are that stupid or that Cosell didn't ask coaches from the NFC west. Your response is typical of a fan.

Semantics. We're equivocating on the meaning of the word "many" when the point is that after only 2 seasons nobody has locked down "best of his class" title yet.

I think we'd both rather have Luck, but he's certainly not the best qb in the nfl, which is my answer to the question posed in the thread title.

It's not semantics. I listen to a lot of podcasts with a lot of different analysts and they overwhelming prefer Luck. It's not even close.

Of course he isn't the best QB in the league. That kind of question is just typical of the poster who started the tread....silly.

Oh good god. Wilson makes a few plays a game because that's all he has to do. You really think coaches are that stupid or that Cosell didn't ask coaches from the NFC west. Your response is typical of a fan.

His stats were better than Luck's virtually across the board so that's more than a few plays a game. And the Seahawks may not make the playoffs in the NFC (where even an 11-5 record didn't guarantee getting in) much less win the Super Bowl without his ability to make plays at crucial times,

Luck has great potential but he's also a guy who threw 7 picks in two playoff games against relatively weaker AFC competition while Wilson threw no interceptions in three playoff games against teams with a combined 36-12 record. He also led a 4th quarter comeback against a very strong 49ers team in the NFCCG and outplayed Peyton Manning in the Super Bowl. Two seasons and one Super Bowl ring don't make a career, but Luck will have to step up his game to match Wilson's achievements.

Many of Wilson's qualities - leadership, intelligence, decision making, preparedness, coolness under pressure, and ability to make the big play at crucial times 

I don't think I've ever seen someone use so many useless buzzterms in a single sentence before. Bravo!

Those teams merged. The name of the league is the NFL. They take their two conference champions and they play for the right to be called the best team in the NFL. That makes it an NFL Championship game. It just happens to have adopted the name Super Bowl.

You can call it that if you want but no one in football does because what was known as the NFL championship game went away after the merger. Like I said it was called the AFL/NFL championship game and then the Super Bowl. Eventually they renamed the leagues to conferences and call it to the Super Bowl with the Lombardi trophy as its prize.

It's easy to see Luck's size, arm strength and mobility and drool over his potential compared to Wilson's smaller size and intangibles. Many of Wilson's qualities - leadership, intelligence, decision making, preparedness, coolness under pressure, and ability to make the big play at crucial times - become evident only when you see him play week after week which most coaches don't, especially in the AFC. Wilson is more accurate and simply doesn't make the kind of mistakes that Luck makes even while routinely facing tougher defenses in the NFC West.

Luck may prove his supporters right over the long run but is going to have to produce more on the field at some point to continue to justify claims that he's better than Wilson.

To the bolded - if that is the measuring stick then I want Newton over everyone.

Wilson right now looks like the most mature QB who is able to play within himself and make plays for his team to win. His offense was not very good, missing his top two WRs for most of the season. He is the one that turned potential into the most success.

But we are only two years in. None of these young guys are the best yet in the league. It is still Brady, Rodgers, Manning.

It's not semantics. I listen to a lot of podcasts with a lot of different analysts and they overwhelming prefer Luck. It's not even close.

Of course he isn't the best QB in the league. That kind of question is just typical of the poster who started the tread....silly.

He may not be the best QB in the league, but if I could pick any current player to build a franchise around he'd be my first pick of anyone in the league.

I feel the same way but that is also the problem. The other teams with great young QBs, the 49ers, Seahawks, and the Ravens did not build around their QB. They built their team and then they got the QB and they got to the Super Bowl. Now some people think that it just happened to work out that way and perhaps they are right. I know Cam Newton struggled with a terrible team but they are coming back hard now. But both the Colts and the Panthers are going to find out how hard it is to build a team around that QB when he starts making the big bucks. Thank the new CBA for that.

I feel the same way but that is also the problem. The other teams with great young QBs, the 49ers, Seahawks, and the Ravens did not build around their QB. They built their team and then they got the QB and they got to the Super Bowl. Now some people think that it just happened to work out that way and perhaps they are right. I know Cam Newton struggled with a terrible team but they are coming back hard now. But both the Colts and the Panthers are going to find out how hard it is to build a team around that QB when he starts making the big bucks. Thank the new CBA for that.

The Seahawks will have the exact same problem.  Maybe worse.

Half the quarterbacks? Playing half the season behind a patchwork offensive line decimated by injuries that was one of the worst in the league in pass protection? Playing without two top receivers for most of the season? Playing frequently against top tier defenses? Playing in the toughest division in the league where even a 12-4 record would have relegated the Seahawks to the wild card and three road playoff games? Playing three playoff games against teams with a combined 36-12 record?

Not a chance.

I don't agree with HALF the league QB's can win with that team, but I can pick about 5 or 6 who would be just as successful as Wilson. A lot of the pressure he faced was because he was holding onto the ball, but that OL is not the best at pass protection. That WR group made plays, they may not be elite, but they were dependable.

I don't agree with HALF the league QB's can win with that team, but I can pick about 5 or 6 who would be just as successful as Wilson. A lot of the pressure he faced was because he was holding onto the ball, but that OL is not the best at pass protection. That WR group made plays, they may not be elite, but they were dependable.

That would be true of any Super Bowl champion team. I also think at least 5 or 6 QBs could have led Denver to the SB as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Why even bring this back to life after a month?  Especially if you don't agree with the premise of the topic.  I'm with you there, but this was dead and forgotten :sigh:

It came up in another forum.  If you don't like it, don't respond

Luck is no where near the best quarterback in the NFL. Anyone who thinks so is completely foolish. That being said he is a good quarterback, I would say one of the 10 best in the league, with perhaps the greatest potential of any quarterback in the NFL.  To even compare him to the greats like Manning and Brady is ridiculous though.  Could he one day be as good as them yes, is he there now definitely not.

Luck is no where near the best quarterback in the NFL. Anyone who thinks so is completely foolish. That being said he is a good quarterback, I would say one of the 10 best in the league, with perhaps the greatest potential of any quarterback in the NFL. To even compare him to the greats like Manning and Brady is ridiculous though. Could he one day be as good as them yes, is he there now definitely not.

What did Brady do last season that was better than Luck?

I dont know how you can so most coaches dont watch him week after week.  I can almost guarantee they looked at film before the draft on him, then also when their team faced the seahawks.  So no, i think they know him pretty well.  Remember....TV lies, highlights really lie.

Seattle has the best defense ever in the history of the NFL. Don't care what anyone says, that's my story & I'm sticking with it.

Completely shutdown Peyton Manning.

Also, I believe Peyton should retire this off-season. That was flat out embarrassing. Break all those records & win multiple awards just to get smacked on worldwide television

You still don't that way now, do you?  If so, then you probably felt Manning should have called it quits in Jan 2005 when Tom Brady and the N.E. Patriots throttled a record Breaking (2004) Colts offense in the playoffs  20 - 3.  Peyton has been shut down before.  Bill Belichick wrote the book on it.  SeahawksD plays aggressive (like fouling on every play) on receivers, just like the Pats have done in the past.  It works,especially against Peyton.  They're not the best D ever, just the best D at getting away with P.I.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303754404579310500005285822

I'm not the only that feels this way, either.