Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat Angerer may not fit defense

krunk

I think he will do fine, but apparently maybe some people within the organization perhaps may be questioning the issue. Seems like a dumb statement unless they noticed something in his transition to the new defense in OTAs. Personally I think he will be ok, but I think the better question is will mathis and freeney transition with no major problems.

Pat Angerer may not fit defense Mon Jul 9, 04:32 PM

Indianapolis Colts LB Pat Angerer may not fit in the 3-4 defensive alignment head coach Chuck Pagano is bringing because Pagano's defense calls for bigger and more stout run defenders at inside linebacker.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/07/09/how-will-undersized-lb-angerer-fit-in-colts-new-sc

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, July 9, 2012 - Duplicate Post
Hidden by Coltssouth, July 9, 2012 - Duplicate Post

I think he will do fine, but apparently maybe some people within the organization perhaps may be questioning the issue. Seems like a dumb statement unless they noticed something in his transition to the new defense in OTAs. Personally I think he will be ok, but I think the better question is will mathis and freeney transition with no major problems.

Indianapolis Colts LB Pat Angerer may not fit in the 3-4 defensive alignment head coach Chuck Pagano is bringing because Pagano's defense calls for bigger and more stout run defenders at inside linebacker.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/07/09/how-will-undersized-lb-angerer-fit-in-colts-new-sc

Well Angerer was drafted for a Cover-2 defense not a 3-4 so yeah I could see how people might question if he'll fit or not. With that said I think Angerer has such a nose for the ball he'll work in just about any kind of defense they play him in. He's just one of those guys you want on our team at least IMO.

http://www.profootba...in-colts-new-sc

Valid post on your part, but hardly insightful journalism on their part.

Well, I could care less what these so called experts say,and i know grigson says he's all about the film. I watched or was at every game last year.what i saw was a guy who played his tail off every play of every game.if the rest of the team played the way pat played. Andrew we be on another team.

Well Angerer was drafted for a Cover-2 defense not a 3-4 so yeah I could see how people might question if he'll fit or not. With that said I think Angerer has such a nose for the ball he'll work in just about any kind of defense they play him in. He's just one of those guys you want on our team at least IMO.

Agree. He'll most likely be the smallest ILB on our roster, but the way he plays you'll never know it.

He's one of those guys who 'plays bigger'.

Wonder why they singled out Pat when none of the current linbackers that are projected to start really fit the system. I guess since there is not much sports action this time of year they had to put something in the air I suppose!

Sometimes very talented players are much, much better in a certain system.

Case in point, DeMaco Ryens of Houston. All-Pro talent when the Texas rans a 4-3. Not nearly as effective after they switched to a 3-4. So, traded to Philly which runs a 4-3.

Can Angerer put on a few pounds to be more stout and taken on blockers? Maybe. But, don't rule anything out. Hopefully it works out well for Pat and the Colts. But nothing is set in stone....

The NFL can be a brutal, brutal business.

IMO, Pat is a stop gap. He will be serviceable while we upgrade other positions. Probably won't be re-signed in 2 years. Love his heart....do have concerns that he will become more injury prone with as many hits as he will be giving/taking.

All this talk about size is pretty much meaningless. If you're a 235 lb LB and you run into a 210 lb RB at 20 MPH, you should in theory, be able to tackle him just as easily as a 250 lb LB running into him at 17 MPH. I'm sure there's some 'Newton's Law' about an object's force being equal to it's size times it's speed of motion......or some physics crap.

'Size isn't everything....sometimes it's about how you use it.' - Some girl I used to know trying to make me feel better about myself

Well, inside linebackers don't have to be behemoths like outside linebackers in the 3-4. If Pat can bulk up maybe 5 or 10 pounds, this won't even be a concern. It barely is a concern right now. I want Pat to anchor the defense for a long time, he's got an eye for the ball-carrier.

Pat will be just fine, he's a bit under sized but hey people have been saying that about him since he was drafted, He lead the NFL for most of the year last season and had it not been because of an injury late in the season his name would be at the top of the list for tackle, its not Pat I'm worried about its conner I'm more concerned about.

LOLS.

Ray Lewis - 6'1 250

Jameel McClain - 6'1 245

Pat Angerer - 6'0 235.

An NFL linebacker dropping or adding 5-10 lbs is nothing. The guy isn't Cato June (6'0, 210 soaking wet) here folks. This isn't even a story.

Everyone on this team is coming over from a different scheme. They may fit, they may not. We'll just have to wait and see. Pat is honestly the least of my worries.

I frankly do not care for Angerer. I haven't really ever been impressed with him. And when we lost to the jets two years ago in the playoffs, i watched him fall to his face chasing a guy....He was untouched when he fell. Terrible. I hope he doesnt fit.

I frankly do not care for Angerer. I haven't really ever been impressed with him. And when we lost to the jets two years ago in the playoffs, i watched him fall to his face chasing a guy....He was untouched when he fell. Terrible. I hope he doesnt fit.

Leading the league in tackles last year doesn't impress you at all? I can understand if you don't like him that much but anytime you lead the league in tackles you are doing something right even if you are getting them because others around you aren't.

Also why would you hope he doesn't fit? The only thing that suffers from him not fitting is the franchise and makes yet another hole the Colts have to go fill. Frankly we have enough of those. The Colts have had players in the past I might not have personally cared for but as long as they were Colts I hoped they were super stars because it meant the team benefited from it.

Leading the league in tackles last year doesn't impress you at all? I can understand if you don't like him that much but anytime you lead the league in tackles you are doing something right even if you are getting them because others around you aren't.

Also why would you hope he doesn't fit? The only thing that suffers from him not fitting is the franchise and makes yet another hole the Colts have to go fill. Frankly we have enough of those. The Colts have had players in the past I might not have personally cared for but as long as they were Colts I hoped they were super stars because it meant the team benefited from it.

Correction, i hope someone else fits BETTER than him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/2011/regular

And He did not lead the league in tackles. London Fletcher of the Redskins did. with 166. Angerer was 4th. And if our D line wasnt so bad, and our secondary wasnt so bad. He wouldnt be anywhere. he was only at the top because he had more opportunities, that doesnt mean he's the best. And obviously it didn't do anything for us last year. Straight stats can be misleading.

http://www.cbssports...ts/2011/regular

And He did not lead the league in tackles. London Fletcher of the Redskins did. with 166. Angerer was 4th. And if our D line wasnt so bad, and our secondary wasnt so bad. He wouldnt be anywhere. he was only at the top because he had more opportunities, that doesnt mean he's the best. And obviously it didn't do anything for us last year. Straight stats can be misleading.

That's fine to hope someone is better than him.

I stand corrected that he was fourth. Still having the fourth most tackles in the league is impressive I don't care who you are or the reasons for it. Like I said before it means you are doing something right even if others around you aren't. He made tackles. If he doesn't then those plays can become touchdowns so I've never bought the whole well someone had to make tackles. He's proven he has a nose for the ball and that's probably the best skill he brings to the table and frankly it's something you can't teach.

No question he played on a weak defense but he still did his job very well last year even if others around him didn't. If you don't want to give him credit for that fine but I have a feeling you are going to be in the minority here.

http://www.cbssports...ts/2011/regular

How does this work exactly? Angerer only has high tackles because the dline and secondary are bad but the other LBers on that list have high tackles because they are good LBers?

Then you claim his tackles didn't, "do anything for us," what does that even mean? Do you think the Colts would have won more games if Angerer got fewer tackles?

And yes straight stats can be misleading, erroneous conclusions are worse though.

LOLS.

Ray Lewis - 6'1 250

Jameel McClain - 6'1 245

Pat Angerer - 6'0 235.

An NFL linebacker dropping or adding 5-10 lbs is nothing. The guy isn't Cato June (6'0, 210 soaking wet) here folks. This isn't even a story.

Everyone on this team is coming over from a different scheme. They may fit, they may not. We'll just have to wait and see. Pat is honestly the least of my worries.

June was smaller then Angerer but NFL.com had him listed at 6'0 227 so not much smaller

I don't think Pats size will be a huge issue. I did notice he had problems shedding blockers last year and I do think he was a step slow to the ball. Perhaps that was because he had other responsibilities in the cover 2 or perhaps he doesn't read things as well as he needs to. He is a young, athletic guy and we have no one better to fill that position so he will get his shot this year. If he falters it will just be another position in a long list that will need to be addressed.

I think he will do fine, but apparently maybe some people within the organization perhaps may be questioning the issue.

http://www.profootba...in-colts-new-sc

..............The article sites "our sources around the NFL". That could be anybody. I doubt very much it was "some people within the organization". I stated the very same concern a couple of months ago that inside 3-4 linebackers generally are, or should be a little bit bigger and stronger than what the Colts now have. However, I also believe that Grigson and Pagano know alot more about football than I do, and they have alot at stake in putting together the best team they can. The worst that could happen is that the Colts will play alot more 4-3 defense if they see that the linebackers (including Freeney and Mathis) are struggling and not being used to their potential. The Colts still have a very good front seven if they want to play 4-3, in my opinion.

Yay! Another "Angerer is undersized because he's 1 inch and 5 pounds below what scouts consider ideal size for an ILB"!

I never get tired of that in depth analysis.

If Angerer doesn't "fit" with this defense, it will have nothing to do with size.

How does this work exactly? Angerer only has high tackles because the dline and secondary are bad but the other LBers on that list have high tackles because they are good LBers?

Then you claim his tackles didn't, "do anything for us," what does that even mean? Do you think the Colts would have won more games if Angerer got fewer tackles?

And yes straight stats can be misleading, erroneous conclusions are worse though.

Im not saying those other ones are good, but you do not see the good LB's like Urlacher and Ray Lewis on that top list. No, because all the top LB's on tackles was on bad teams last year. Redskins, Browns and Vikings. Good LB's help their team win...we didnt. So what if he made those tackles because the rest of the team couldnt do anything. If he is such a good LB he should be a play maker, but he isnt. He does not come up big when it matters, he isnt clutch. A blind squirrel will always find a nut in a Walnut forest. Thats exactly what he is. he cannot help but to get that many tackles because he had that many opportunities. But how many more did he miss, or failed to come up big when it mattered like in my playoff example. he would have had the guy, but he fell on his face with noone around. And that was the drive that the Jets went on to get the TD that put them ahead. They would have only gained like 3 yards, but they gained a 1st down on that run. Ya, such a great LB we have in him.

There are 2 ILBs in a 3-4 formation, strong side and weak side. Conner is suited to play the run stopping strong side ILB. Angerer is suited to play the weakside ILB that roams more and runs with the TEs in coverage more than he plays run support. Besides, when Brackett was playing MLB in the 4-3, Angerer played weakside OLB in a 4-3 a lot though it is not identical to weakside ILB in a 3-4. That is why I feel Angerer will be fine and should be able to adapt.

But it is funny that they did not take the time to research what I just said above and acknowledge the possibilities of a fit. Here is a good explanation.

http://www.buffaloru...esponsibilities

If the Colts play the Rex Ryan 3-4, Angerer cannot play the Jack ILB.

If the Colts play the Bills 3-4 based on the Parcells coaching tree, Angerer can be free to roam while Conner, who I think is better at shedding blocks in run support, will play MILB while Angerer plays WILB like Pozluzny used to.