Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post-draft needs?

Solid84

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

To the others that quoted me about being able to afford Budda, I agree and am with you.  It makes sense.  I just can’t see Ballard dishing that out, even if he’s worth it.  I hope I’m wrong.  

As far as football smarts, Cross looked lost out there at times.  I’m not saying he’s isn’t a bright person, just that I haven’t seen him make the best decisions.   I was really hoping he’d grow into that spot, and he still may.  Reps are important and he should be getting them if they don’t pick someone up.

I think it will be obvious in practice, if he knows where he should be and can keep up with the speedy WRs.  The question is, will they acknowledge that or keep hoping he develops (ala Pryor and Pinter a couple years ago).  

I’d simply remind that Cross came out a year early, so he has less experience in college.  I think he’s supposed to look lost at times.  He’s supposed to struggle.   I’m not saying he’ll start one Blackmon.  But I think he’ll play more and more as the season progresses.  

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Not that it is right to make these assumptions. I think when someone comes with  all the physical traits and in Cross' case, I would say elite traits to play FS.  People tend to assume it is because of lack of instincts, inability to grasp the play book, immature , playing out of position  and/or all of the listed reasons. I don't agree with  the term football smarts, but  i kind of get where the person is coming from.

I believe Cross was NOT drafted to play free.  I believe he was drafted to play the strong side.  

Now some safeties have been drafted to play both positions.  Cross could be one like that.  Try to play both.   But as I shared with another poster, Cross came out a year early from college so he has less experience than a normal draft pick.  His learning curve should be expected to be slower.   I think we will see Cross play more and more as the season progresses.  I still expect Blackmon to start at the strong side.   

8 hours ago, Solid84 said:

What do you think?

I'd like a veteran FS to secure a solid floor if nothing else. Same with CB.

Here's a question for ya: What if JT gets hurt again? Are we confident Hull, Sermon, Goodson, Pennix, Scott can carry that load? 

A Vet Safety, potentially CB I’m also not too thrilled with the depth behind Taylor. Not too many RBs out there tho. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

To the others that quoted me about being able to afford Budda, I agree and am with you.  It makes sense.  I just can’t see Ballard dishing that out, even if he’s worth it.  I hope I’m wrong.  

As far as football smarts, Cross looked lost out there at times.  I’m not saying he’s isn’t a bright person, just that I haven’t seen him make the best decisions.   I was really hoping he’d grow into that spot, and he still may.  Reps are important and he should be getting them if they don’t pick someone up.

I think it will be obvious in practice, if he knows where he should be and can keep up with the speedy WRs.  The question is, will they acknowledge that or keep hoping he develops (ala Pryor and Pinter a couple years ago).  

Is your opinion on Cross influenced by the fact that the coaches wouldn't play him in 2022, so there must be something he's struggling with in practice? 

RB, FS, CB would be my three biggest needs in that order. I think we need a passing down scat back like a Hines/Sproles type RB, who can make plays in space and off check downs. Then FS and Corner I want more competition for our young secondary.

3 hours ago, ColtsWarrior24 said:

As others have said: CB, FS, RB.  

Taylor is an annual injury.  Need a vet RB that could be a receiving threat & block, too.  

Secondary needs an CB and FS.  

Make it happen.  

Welcome to the forum!

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Is your opinion on Cross influenced by the fact that the coaches wouldn't play him in 2022, so there must be something he's struggling with in practice? 

Really just based on his play.  But it’s pretty easy to make that connection.  They moved up to get him, so you know they’re giving him every chance.  

We know he has potential.  Maybe this is his year?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Cam Akers

Kareem Hunt 

Dalvin Cook

Rashad Penny 

Joshua Kelly (played under Steichen for Chargers)

Id just roll with Hull and unknown upside vs these guys with little upside.

Akers is toast after two major injuries 

Hunt is probably washed at this point 

Dalvin is definitely washed.   Gone through three teams in a year’s time

Penny… had potential to be elite but seems injuries have robbed him.

Joshua Kelly… nah

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe Cross was NOT drafted to play free.  I believe he was drafted to play the strong side.  

Now some safeties have been drafted to play both positions.  Cross could be one like that.  Try to play both.   But as I shared with another poster, Cross came out a year early from college so he has less experience than a normal draft pick.  His learning curve should be expected to be slower.   I think we will see Cross play more and more as the season progresses.  I still expect Blackmon to start at the strong side.   

Everything you said makes sense. I believe Cross is meant to play strong safety.  I do find it a bit telling Blackmon was resigned. Hopefully Cross can show he is making the next step and ready to compete for a starting spot. Colts do have a 3rd and 6th invested in him. Would be nice if that pays off but sometimes players don’t pan out. Still haven’t seen enough to say he is good or not. Big year for Cross and I hope he capitalizes. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Id just roll with Hull and unknown upside vs these guys with little upside.

Akers is toast after two major injuries 

Hunt is probably washed at this point 

Dalvin is definitely washed.   Gone through three teams in a year’s time

Penny… had potential to be elite but seems injuries have robbed him.

Joshua Kelly… nah

I got Hull at the #2 regardless.

Tbh, the more I see of Trent Pennix, kind of pulling for him to take that RB3/FB/TE role.

6 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Or don’t throw him a pass with nothing on it and behind. 

Fair enough. It was Gardner's fault ultimately, but if it touches your hands that well, you have to bring it in.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I thought with his speed, they always looked at developing him into a FS. Blackmon is more of an in the box safety and that became evident the more he played.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yes, the back-up RBs aren't going to even move the chains consistently. They'll need to get a veteran in case of injury, as some RBs are always available during the season too. Getting someone earlier might not be bad idea, but that's up to FO. 

I think AR opens up the run game for us, even without JT.  This is not taking anything away from JT, just a bonus with AR.

17 hours ago, Smonroe said:

An experienced and talented FS is the missing piece to our defense 

IMHO that is the single most important piece that we need to fill before the season starts

That person is NOT on our current roster

At this stage this is the top priority 

You can play less experienced CBs with a star FS

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Smash Mouth said:

I'm not certain about the TE position.  Beyond Bowers and 1-2 other TEs, the draft didn't have much to offer.  But I feel. like #5 could use a big target in the middle of the fleld.

I Woods at 6'7" is plenty big enough.

• Thanks 1

Corner is the obvious answer. If the pass rush continues to develop though, they don't need great corners, but getting a couple of reliable ones as free agents would help. On offense, I see TE as still being unproven. Lots of potential, not much production yet. Backup RB can be found. 

19 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

But those players cant do the job as well as Baker.

The entire idea is to put the best team out there you can. The money isnt an issue really. We have it. 

Sorry to interrupt but I see this Budda conversation on here a lot. Isn't Budda Baker a in the box strong safety??  He isn't the type of free safety that roams deep and gets you picks. 7 interceptions in 7 years. Simmons fits that bill a lot better

16 minutes ago, r a y s k i said:

Sorry to interrupt but I see this Budda conversation on here a lot. Isn't Budda Baker a in the box strong safety??  He isn't the type of free safety that roams deep and gets you picks. 7 interceptions in 7 years. Simmons fits that bill a lot better

He has played both at different points in his career. 

I think Baker and Blackmon would be one of the better duos in the league. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

He has played both at different points in his career. 

I think Baker and Blackmon would be one of the better duos in the league. 

Yeah don't get me wrong I like Budda but what we need is a ballhawk free safety. What Hooker was supposed to become. Damn, I love that man's college highlights

• Like 1

1 hour ago, r a y s k i said:

Simmons is 30 and Diggs is 31.  I would be happy with either but Budda is 28 and in his prime.  We wouldn’t have to worry about FS for a long time.  And it’s an important position in Gus’s defense.  He would be my first choice if we could get him.  

• Thanks 1

RB is fine, we have Hull and Sermon. Maybe I'm trusting unproven guys too much it's hard to fit a vet in because of our deep olines and dlines. We probably go 3 RBs so we can keep more dlinemen.

CB we mainly need a vet. We drafted 2 so we have 6 CBs. It's hard seeing a vet make the roster, but that's what camp is for I guess.

FS is the biggest need. I'm not sure what Simmons wants (maybe 10 million?). I think Diggs is our guy.

47 minutes ago, r a y s k i said:

Yeah don't get me wrong I like Budda but what we need is a ballhawk free safety. What Hooker was supposed to become. Damn, I love that man's college highlights

I think we need someone to just make open field tackles, as simple as that sounds. I felt like our secondary was pretty poor at just simply getting guys to the ground. 

There is way too much diving at peoples legs in the open field. And Budda might be the best open field tackler in all of football. The guy is a demon. He had like 150 tackles a few years back as a safety, which is incredible. 

Budda is the closest thing to Bob Sanders I have seen since he retired. He doesnt lay the huge hits Bob did (to be fair Bob was juiced to the gills and a literal tank). But I mean, that heat seeking missle type of guy who just ends plays with picture perfect pursuit and tackling of the ball carrier. 

I believe in tackling being the most overlooked skill in football. People dont seem to see the value in it, or know how to do it. but it is a lot of times what seperates really bad defenses from good defenses. I felt like we gave up like 1000 extra yards last year due to poor tackling.

I actually used to teach heads up tackling at football camps, so its a bit of a sore spot with me.  But I see a lot of horrible tackling around the league. 

Also, Blackmon is our ballhawking free safety in this scenario. I know a lot of people see him as more of a SS, but not me. I dont think he is top tier at it, but he is solid at both spots, and solid is fine with me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

An experienced and talented FS is the missing piece to our defense 

IMHO that is the single most important piece that we need to fill before the season starts

That person is NOT on our current roste

At this stage this is the top priority 

You can play less experienced CBs with a star fast and was very effective. He is still just 22. The question is, is he understanding the  D and able to make quick decisions. I believe after 10 starts next season we can have a really good player. 

Rodney McCloud came in here and really solidified the S rotation. He was still solid last season. 

We need that kind of guy. The war room is figuring out if they want to spend now, or wait and see what safeties come available up to final cuts.

Cross finally got a couple starts and was playing fast 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goatface Killah said:

I think we need someone to just make open field tackles, as simple as that sounds. I felt like our secondary was pretty poor at just simply getting guys to the ground. 

There is way too much diving at peoples legs in the open field. And Budda might be the best open field tackler in all of football. The guy is a demon. He had like 150 tackles a few years back as a safety, which is incredible. 

Budda is the closest thing to Bob Sanders I have seen since he retired. He doesnt lay the huge hits Bob did (to be fair Bob was juiced to the gills and a literal tank). But I mean, that heat seeking missle type of guy who just ends plays with picture perfect pursuit and tackling of the ball carrier. 

I believe in tackling being the most overlooked skill in football. People dont seem to see the value in it, or know how to do it. but it is a lot of times what seperates really bad defenses from good defenses. I felt like we gave up like 1000 extra yards last year due to poor tackling.

I actually used to teach heads up tackling at football camps, so its a bit of a sore spot with me.  But I see a lot of horrible tackling around the league. 

Also, Blackmon is our ballhawking free safety in this scemario. I know a lot of people see him as more of a SS, but not me. I dont think he is top tier at it, but he is solid at both spots, and solid is fine with me. 

His 150 tackle season was 5 years ago in 2019. Regardless I get what you mean tho and I'd love Budda w us. I guess it would depend on the price, no way Ballard pays a high pick and high salary for a player that frankly seems over its peak tho( just going purely by numbers, not followed Cards that much to be confident in an opinion regarding Budda)

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If he even wants to come back

True. I never heard there was any bad blood between him and the Colts. He'd be coming back to a team that's in better shape than when he left.  His willingness to come back might depend on whether he would be a starter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Also, Blackmon is our ballhawking free safety in this scenario. I know a lot of people see him as more of a SS, but not me. I dont think he is top tier at it, but he is solid at both spots, and solid is fine with me. 

For his career Budda has 10% missed tackles. Pretty high actually.

His big year with all those tackles he had a 72.7% completions rating.

And a 125 passer rating and gave up 4 tds. Yowwww!

Since winning is everything, I see our management team adding 3 more pieces to strengthen our chances. I would expect at S, LB, RB. Barring injury, going right up to final cuts works for us.

4 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

RB is fine, we have Hull and Sermon. Maybe I'm trusting unproven guys too much it's hard to fit a vet in because of our deep olines and dlines.

I kinda liked the job Sermon And Goodson did (sans drop) when called upon. 

• Like 2

I think we could use that 31-YO OT that we seem to often sign before TC.  A fringe roster type.  If you think Goncalves is a better IOL fit, then we only have 4 OTs on the roster…

TheNewGuy here, please allow me to enter the fray😁

I would like to see a veteran running back that has solid blocking and receiving skills added.  Whom that might be will probably shake out after June 1st, as I am pretty sure better value can be had then.

As much as I would love Simmons on a two year deal plus a veteran CB, I have a feeling that between Qwity and Dayo, and their possible extensions, may eat into the available cap space?  Of course restructuring Braden or Q, could help alleviate that issue, but I have no knowledge of the Colts thinking moving forward.

I am just pretty excited about next year and it feels good!  Go Colts!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

For his career Budda has 10% missed tackles. Pretty high actually.

His big year with all those tackles he had a 72.7% completions rating.

And a 125 passer rating and gave up 4 tds. Yowwww!

Since winning is everything, I see our management team adding 3 more pieces to strengthen our chances. I would expect at S, LB, RB. Barring injury, going right up to final cuts works for us.

I put very little stock into those kinds of stats. 

On 4/29/2024 at 10:05 AM, KB said:

I'd say FS, CB, and RB are about the only 3 needs this team currently has in any shape. Need a starter at FS, experienced competition at CB, and a backup RB. I'm sure bargain bin shopping for a RB will be enough. 

I like Hull I think he will be a good RB

• Like 1