Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select Laiatu Latu Edge UCLA

CR91

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

You know Coach Partridge was integral in this selection.

Paye could be moved, potentially during the draft? Doubt they pick his option up now.

Or Dayo?

Let's send one of them to the Bengals. :lecture:

Daniel Jerimiah on Latu:

“Latu has ideal size, quickness and instincts for the position. As a pass rusher, he can win with his quick get-off or a variety of hand moves. He has an excellent feel for when offensive tackles overset or underset and adjusts accordingly. He doesn’t have elite speed or power, but he wins with technique, bend and savvy. He can corner well at the top of his rush and is an outstanding finisher. Against the run, he’s been inconsistent when it comes to setting the edge. He’s shown the ability to shoot his hands, leverage blockers and hold the point of attack. However, there are other times his pad level is too high and he gets controlled. His effort is outstanding to chase, against both run and pass. Latu did have serious medical issues while at the University of Washington. Overall, Latu is the most skilled pass rusher in this class and should have an immediate impact at the next level.”

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I will say this because it’s something I think we have all mentioned. Ballard has bet on traits in the past when taking DE. This time he gets a guy with proven college production. So this is kind of a different pick for him.

But he has a great RAS as well 9.37

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Any chance we trade back up?

Only way I’d be happy tonight is if we did that. selecting an injuring prone player in the first round like this is well, bad

I was upset at the pick but think it'll work out.

49 tackles, 21.5 TFL, 13 sacks, 2 INTs last year. Seems like a proven player and not just potential.

P.S. his NFL draft profile compares him with TJ Watt, which is encouraging. Hopefully he doesn't pull a Vernon Gholston.

• Thanks 1

Just now, csmopar said:

Only way I’d be happy tonight is if we did that. selecting an injuring prone player in the first round like this is well, bad

oh not happy with the pick? i thought you loved ballard's strategy 

• Like 1

Just now, indyagent17 said:

I guess I was just shocked about this. I guess Ballard took a swing, but I still think he could’ve trade down a few pics and still got him

He was mocked at 8 so risking getting him later then 15 would not have been a smart risk for a plyer you want.

16 minutes ago, nsurg said:

So he had a cervical fusion... this is a surgery I do frequently.  Once it heals the surgery is more or less the strongest part of the neck.  The biggest problems with a fusion in this context are:

(1) loss of nerve function prior to surgery may or may not recover after surgery, usually over the next 3-12 months (but his production after surgery implies no major concern on this)

(2) the patient will have somewhat accelerated wear/arthritis at non fused levels.  While this is a real concern, it will unfortunately be more of an issue for him later in life, after his NFL career.

Peyton had this surgery as his final neck surgery before playing for the broncos, but his problem was number one above, he apparently never had the same arm strength as before.

Ahmad Bradshaw also had this same surgery in 2013, he already had I think 6 years of RB play prior to that.  His YPC held up but was utilized less, but this may mirror more a tapering RB career.

I'm not personally worried about the medical status of this player, but I have no idea the actual details obviously.  I will say that very few surgeons would be eager to clear the player to play afterwards, mostly for the stupid liability things in medicine.

I think it's fair to say we got a really nice pick here for value.

Thanks for the information. Very valuable input... :thmup:

• Like 1

The Ringer gives it a A+. Calls the pick great value and worth risk. 

“Latu comes with some uncertainty, as the former Bruins star was previously forced to retire because of a neck injury. But Indy clearly feels Latu is worth the risk, and I would too. He’s an incredible hand fighter who is damn near impossible to block.”

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

All that thought we could have traded down - it takes another team who wants to trade up.

With so many QBs and O players taken, I’m guessing a lot of teams knew they’d get someone high on their board without having to give something up.

More importantly. Even though we had a to of sacks, how did we rank with pressure?   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Not 1 of the 7 I hoped for, but the way the draft played out, it threw everything out of whack!  To get your pickings of all defensive players, at the 15th pick … it’s like the Colts somehow snuck into the top 5 of the draft.

Really hoping the past injury concern is all for not and that they finally got the stud rusher they’ve needed.  Thumbs up. 

I now find myself hoping they get back into the 1st round.

• Like 1

Weak division and not even a conference championship in his tenure. We keeping swinging at the same positions because he continues to whiff. You build through the draft right? What do we have to show? A LG, RB, and paying a #2 WR anywhere else #1 money. Makes zero sense why he’s still here. 

• Like 1

Just now, Goatface Killah said:

Like the pick quite a bit. This guy has top level pass rushing traits and to get a guy like that at 15 is rare.

The Colts could have a truly elite DL. They seem to have it all, including great depth at every position.

they are working for it, without a doubt. Charlie Partridge is salivating right now. 

9 minutes ago, AKB said:

oh not happy with the pick? i thought you loved ballard's strategy 

Not for a player with a serious neck problem… 

and this goes against Ballards typical strategy. 

I felt we needed weapons more than defense.  But we’ll see how the rest of the draft shakes out.

as of now though, I’m not thrilled with this pick 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Not for a player with a serious neck problem… 

and this goes against Ballards typical strategy. 

I felt we needed weapons more than defense.  But we’ll see how the rest of the draft shakes out.

as of now though, I’m not thrilled with this pick 

Not sure why you feel that way.

We had a low ranked defense.

We did not have much trouble scoring points with a back up QB. 

• Like 1