Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select Laiatu Latu Edge UCLA

CR91

3 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Weak division and not even a conference championship in his tenure. We keeping swinging at the same positions because he continues to whiff. You build through the draft right? What do we have to show? A LG, RB, and paying a #2 WR anywhere else #1 money. Makes zero sense why he’s still here. 

Guess you weren’t a fan of drafting Marvin Harrison back in the day for the same reasons then…

Seriously, judging players because they happened to play on a bad football is just silly.  If how your team did in college determined how players translated to the NFL the only guys being drafted tonight would Michigan players.  Instead so far one has been drafted.  

Good players on bad teams turn out good in the NFL all the time because it’s about the player not the team.  If you look at his numbers they are outstanding that’s what matters.

27 minutes ago, nsurg said:

So he had a cervical fusion... this is a surgery I do frequently.  Once it heals the surgery is more or less the strongest part of the neck.  The biggest problems with a fusion in this context are:

(1) loss of nerve function prior to surgery may or may not recover after surgery, usually over the next 3-12 months (but his production after surgery implies no major concern on this)

(2) the patient will have somewhat accelerated wear/arthritis at non fused levels.  While this is a real concern, it will unfortunately be more of an issue for him later in life, after his NFL career.

Peyton had this surgery as his final neck surgery before playing for the broncos, but his problem was number one above, he apparently never had the same arm strength as before.

Ahmad Bradshaw also had this same surgery in 2013, he already had I think 6 years of RB play prior to that.  His YPC held up but was utilized less, but this may mirror more a tapering RB career.

I'm not personally worried about the medical status of this player, but I have no idea the actual details obviously.  I will say that very few surgeons would be eager to clear the player to play afterwards, mostly for the stupid liability things in medicine.

I think it's fair to say we got a really nice pick here for value.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you Sir.   I suspect your post will be cited hundreds of times in the years to come.   Thanks for sharing your expertise with the community.   I hope everyone in Colts Nation will read your post, then read it again!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Guess you weren’t a fan of drafting Marvin Harrison back in the day for the same reasons then…

Seriously, judging players because they happened to play on a bad football is just silly.  If how your team did in college determined how players translated to the NFL the only guys being drafted tonight would Michigan players.  Instead so far one has been drafted.  

Good players on bad teams turn out good in the NFL all the time because it’s about the player not the team.  If you look at his numbers they are outstanding that’s what matters.

Huh?? Where did I mention drafting players from a bad football team? Don’t know how you got that from my post. 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Dejean makes it to the second I wonder if colts might think of converting him to safety. I think he might be more SS though than FS. Otherwise he is more of a nickle.

I would move up and take him for FS.

• Like 1

lol funny the one time I personally wanted a trade back… I’ll say that his EDGE history doesn’t instill a lot of confidence or excitement 

but BOY, are the corners dropping!!! Trade back in CB! (no chance, I know)

Here comes the Ballard love. Unbelievable how every year you guys convince yourself in trusting his judgement. There is no proof in the pudding. He could’ve went several different ways and been better. We didn’t turn the pick in until late. At some point he’s got to run out of passes. Edge shouldn’t even be a position of need if he gets things right, two years ago. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Not sure why you feel that way.

We had a low ranked defense.

We did not have much trouble scoring points with a back up QB. 

Ask me this again tomorrow night. My tune may change 

6 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Huh?? Where did I mention drafting players from a bad football team? Don’t know how you got that from my post. 

That’s my fault I miss read the first part of your post.  I thought you were talking about Latu not Ballard.

2 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Here comes the Ballard love. Unbelievable how every year you guys convince yourself in trusting his judgement. There is no proof in the pudding. He could’ve went several different ways and been better. We didn’t turn the pick in until late. At some point he’s got to run out of passes. Edge shouldn’t even be a position of need if he gets things right, two years ago. 

Thought you announced you was leaving? Why are you still here after creating an entire thread saying you were leaving? How can we trust a person who doesn’t follow through on his words within minutes of posting them?

asking for a friend

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seriously guys, Edge was a need no one was talking about. Last year we had a lot of sacks but not a lot of pressures. Plus Paye and Dayo are FAs next year m, but neither has cracked more than 8.5 sacks.

• Like 5

Just now, boo2202 said:

While I agree that the Colts FO should be dinged for their past misses at DE (and they've been misses with high capital), it's not like DE is a spot that you should ignore a potentially elite player at, even if we're okay at the spot. I'm way more concerned about his injury over drafting a DE, albeit I'd prefer getting the top corner.

Ballard's pass rides on how this team does with AR at the helm. If that doesn't turn out well, anyone who keeps supporting Ballard is crazy. We haven't seen how that looks like yet.

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Some of you were just going to complain what Ballard did tonight no matter what it was and it shows.

All I’ve heard the past two years is Ballard doesn’t value premium position players enough in the first round.  Yet the past two years he’s drafted maybe the two most premium positions in football in the first round.

Then it was concern he would trade back and miss out on a great player.  Ballard didn’t trade back at all and landed the top defensive player on his board.

Then there were those worried about him giving up too much to trade up.  Instead he stayed patient and got what was mocked by some to be a top 8 player.  Also not he’s landed a QB and end in the past two drafts and given up nothing to get either.

Then there were people saying the defense needed help they were the problem last year.  The drafted an end tonight.

Ballard checked just about the boxes about fears going into the draft tonight and people are still unhappy.  That just tells me people were going to complain no matter what.

The only thing about there that’s left is Ballard can’t draft ends.  Well that’s what people used to say about WR until Pittman and Downs came along and now you don’t hear that anymore.  All it takes is hitting on one or two guys and that goes away.

The only part of the pick that I don’t like is the injury history. Take that out, I can live with it even though I wanted to see offensive weapons

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

And here comes the Ballard hate.  Unbelievable how every year you guys convince yourself the guy is a bust before he even plays.  It works both ways.  No one is going to know for a fact if Latu is going to be a stud or a bust tonight.  What we do know is waiting until pick 15 and getting the first defensive player in the draft so thus the top defensive player on your board and getting an edge, maybe the second most valuable position in football is un heard of and tonight looks good for Ballard.  

Yes that can change if Latu busts out but like I said we aren’t going to know that tonight.  Still tonight there is a lot to be happy about with this pick.  Why not enjoy it rather than just hate on it tonight?  

• Like 1

Ah, this is where everybody went.  I'll repeat some things from the draft thread.

For the first time in 7 years, the Colts seem to have their long term QB, LT, and EDGE players in place, the three most important positions in the NFL.  That's the way to build an NFL team, IMO.

Read on WalterFootball that DALLAS TURNER was flagged by some teams for medicals, so that's why he fell.  It didn't elaborate.

I hope Latu has the natural bend that's needed to be a premier EDGE.  Technique and tenacity is great, but bend makes guys elite, IMO.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

All that thought we could have traded down - it takes another team who wants to trade up.

With so many QBs and O players taken, I’m guessing a lot of teams knew they’d get someone high on their board without having to give something up.

More importantly. Even though we had a to of sacks, how did we rank with pressure?   

Middle of the pack because we were near the bottom with blitzes. An easy one.

35 minutes ago, James said:

Put turners beside  his for comparison  sake 

7 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Kwity Paye and Dayo Odeyingbo are both very good football players. 

Whats wrong with having a great defensive line with tons of quality depth?

• Like 6

Just now, DougDew said:

Ah, this is where everybody went.  I'll repeat some things from the draft thread.

For the first time in 7 years, the Colts seem to have their long term QB, LT, and EDGE players in place, the three most important positions in the NFL.  That's the way to build an NFL team, IMO.

Read on WalterFootball that DALLAS TURNER was flagged by sometimes for medicals, so that's why he fell.  It didn't elaborate.

I hope Latu has the natural bend that's needed to be a premier EDGE.  Technique is great, but bend makes guys elite, IMO.

Was he the kid that had blood clots show up on his chest X-ray? Can’t remember who that was, I heard it on nfl radio on a road trip last week

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

The only part of the pick that I don’t like is the injury history. Take that out, I can live with it even though I wanted to see offensive weapons

I raised an eyebrow when I heard them say injury concerns when he was drafted but when they explained what it was I went oh I am not worried anymore.  It’s the same surgery from Peyton done by the same doctor.  Irsay has all kinds of homework from that and I assure you Ballard did his homework too.  The fact he’s played two years since he had it also tells me it’s a non-factor.  

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Seriously guys, Edge was a need no one was talking about. Last year we had a lot of sacks but not a lot of pressures. Plus Paye and Dayo are FAs next year m, but neither has cracked more than 8.5 sacks.

“Edge was need nobody was talking about” ??    Really?    I’ve been talking about it for months.  

Haven’t many posters been screaming for more pressures?   You don’t think Latu can bring more pressure?   Sorry, I confess I’m surprised at this perspective.