Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Texans post game

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Yet the play call was to have Goodson in the game at all when you have your all world running back you just paid a tone of money too as an option or at least Moss.  So yes play calling was the problem.  Play calling also invovles the personal on the play.

If Minshew puts that ball in front instead of three feet behind the receiver- it's a catch and first down. 

That play isn't Goodson's fault. It's Minshews God awful passing. 

• Like 6

The Good

• The run blocking was excellent at the beginning of the 2nd half. 
  • JT finally had a big play.
  • Downs had a big play. 

The Bad

• The first half. Poor execution in the passing game. 
  • We had about 3 contested targets in the first half that could’ve made a huge difference.
  • Steichen got too stubborn with the run near the end of the 2nd half. I get he wanted to run out the clock, but there were some opportune moments for a couple good play action plays.
  • Besides the 2-pt. conversion Mo left a couple plays on the field.
  • Our WRs were no where for waaay too much of the game. 

Well I'll start my comments with until we get out of the triple vanilla, retreat and surrender, super soft zone defense we will never be successful. We had 3 blitzes tonight that I can recall, the results of those 3 plays were 2 incompletions and a sack. 51 years of not playing defense in critical games. We ran all over them and still make just enough ridiculous plays and total failures at the worst time. If minshew wasn't missing open receivers, they were dropping the ball. Oh well, so far on my trifecta of predictions for this weekend I am 2-0(2 gimmies). So disappointing , giving up 2nd and 20 and first and 20 on the same drive no less. Really!!!! Gm's change, coaches change, and players change, but the 51 year history remains the same.

• Like 3

Lost the final 2 in 2021.  Lost 2 of 3 this year.  Hell, they were lucky to survive Jax in 2020 after the collapse in Pittsburgh.

Can't win the first game, can't win at the end.

• Like 1

Just now, Dark_Indy said:

If Minshew puts that ball in front instead of three feet behind the receiver- it's a catch and first down. 

That play isn't Goodson's fault. It's Minshews God awful passing. 

He had drop as the announcers pointed out.  Yes Minshew could have made a better throw but Goodson could have caught that pass.  Also sorry not buying that when your season is literally on the line and you need a yard going with your backup QB to throw to a practice squad RB is the best call you can make.

• Thanks 1

At some point this has to stop. Everytime something is on the line this team can’t deliver.

I also can’t speak to how incredibly limited Minshew is as a QB. Overthrows, under throws, bad pocket presence, not clutch, not seeing open receivers, etc…We saw it all tonight. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The fourth down isn't even what made me mad. That bull crap drive the Texans had on their last TD drive was worse. 2nd and 20 converted. 1st and 20 converted on a throwaway. A dime to Collins while getting completely blasted.

CJ is the best QB in our division and has that dawg in him. Great players make great plays when needed

• Like 1

Just now, DiogoSales said:

Bottom line is: Minshew is a back up.

4 & 1 with AR, do you think we will need to pass? I like the future, we will be the team to beat in this division

There is zero, and I mean no reason to think this team will be the one to beat in a division with Stroud and Lawrence.

AR looked great but has yet to finish a single game.

• Like 3

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

At some point this has to stop. Everytime something is on the line this team can’t deliver.

I also can’t speak to how incredibly limited Minshew is as a QB. Overthrows, under throws, bad pocket presence, not clutch, not seeing open receivers, etc…We saw it all tonight. 

100%. Some of that is they just don’t have the talent. Then add a backup QB.

• Like 2

2nd worst game Minshew has had this season. It showed Steichen had almost zero trust in him and good reason. He didn’t turn the ball over but he couldn’t throw a good ball. Lights turned off and showed he wasn’t big enough for the moment. 

1 minute ago, DiogoSales said:

Bottom line is: Minshew is a back up.

4 & 1 with AR, do you think we will need to pass? I like the future, we will be the team to beat in this division

Yes, but it’s so frustrating with this franchise. I heard multiple people in suites & sections below me tonight talk about how they are going to give their season tickets up. It’s year after year with this franchise.

Minshew & the Colts D blew it. Best of luck to the playoff teams 

No Robert Woods, Tank Dell, Noah Brown, No Greenard and a hurt Will Anderson… Inexcusable get Gus Bradley far far away from my Colts. Rodney Thomas and Baker I never want to  see you again on this team.. Shane why isn’t the best player on the team on the field? Nasty business..

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, #12. said:

Another late season collapse, losing 2 of 3.  It's a trend.  The faces change, but the post Luck era keeps chugging on.

Steichen was okay.  At no point did I think he was anywhere near coach of the year material, and he certainly wasn't tonight.

This team was expected to win 3-4 games. Let’s have some clarity for Petes sake

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s not a brilliant play call because it didn’t work. One half is the call, the second half is having the right players out there to execute it. Minshew to Goodson ain’t it with a season on the line. I doubt there’s another coach in football who subs out JT there with the game he was having. If you want to get creative, use some play action with JT and the odds are good the D bites. Very disappointing. My mind couldn’t compute what I was seeing for a second it was such a failure. Fun season but just a gut punch of a loss. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Never_Quit said:

There is zero, and I mean no reason to think this team will be the one to beat in a division with Stroud and Lawrence.

AR looked great but has yet to finish a single game.

Exactly. AR is still a big question mark.

• Like 2

Just now, ProblChld32 said:

But why Goodson ? Why not Moss? IMO they played EXTREMELY passive. 

Goodson is (supposedly) the best receiving back. I’m sure they ran that package in practice with him.

Bad pass, but he still should have caught it.

Perfect play call.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

Yes, but it’s so frustrating with this franchise. I heard multiple people in suites & sections below me tonight talk about how they are going to give their season tickets up. It’s year after year with this franchise.

Minshew & the Colts D blew it. Best of luck to the playoff teams 

That’s just stupid and there will be people who take those tickets. 

I thought Stroud looked much better at other times this season.

We should have won that game, plain and simple. No moral victories when it was in your hands at the end.

• Like 2

Just now, ShuteAt168 said:

It’s not a brilliant play call because it didn’t work. One half is the call, the second half is having the right players out there to execute it. Minshew to Goodson ain’t it with a season on the line. I doubt there’s another coach in football who subs out JT there with the game he was having. If you want to get creative, use some play action with JT and the odds are good the D bites. Very disappointing. My mind couldn’t compute what I was seeing for a second it was such a failure. Fun season but just a gut punch of a loss. 

That’s what people aren’t talking about. Every team knows Goodson has came in primarily on throwing downs. Why not throw it to Taylor or Moss?? This isn’t the first time Goodson has dropped it. It wasn’t a perfect pass, but I actually trust Taylor + Moss more to make clutch plays 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ProblChld32 said:

But why Goodson ? Why not Moss? IMO they played EXTREMELY passive. 

They played not to lose and lost.  All and all same issues we saw all year, played scared to get beat deep only to get beat deep, give up second and third and longs for 1st downs, bad tackling, inconsistent pressure, struggles in the redzone, nothing out of your return game always putting your offense in a hole, and a refusal to take a shot down the field and then Shane trying to be the smartest man in the room only to put coach himself.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Wonder if they wait till Monday to can Bradley? Hope not. Tomorrow would be fine

If u can, Bradly, he needs to take Ballard with him. What value does Ballard have moving forward? This is apparently his style of defense, and he drafted for it. Even Dobbs is from that Seattle scheme. Tell me what expertise does Ballard have in drafting for another defensive scheme? Hell, I would highly question his ability to draft for the scheme that we currently run!! I do hope that Steichen fires Bradley. It could make for an interesting off season if Steichen wants to bring in a scheme that is totally opposite to what they currently run. Could  make for some friction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IndySouthsider said:

That’s just stupid and there will be people who take those tickets. 

It’s not really stupid when you pay $100-$120K for an entire suite & you’ve made the playoffs 2 times in 9 years 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He had drop as the announcers pointed out.  Yes Minshew could have made a better throw but Goodson could have caught that pass.  Also sorry not buying that when your season is literally on the line and you need a yard going with your backup QB to throw to a practice squad RB is the best call you can make.

It was the call that was made. Minshew just needed to be average for one throw and couldn't pull it off. 

Don't get the hate on Goodson. Dude would've had to be a contortionist to catch that pass.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

How you put the ball in your back up quarterbacks hands and then throw to your 3rd string running back was just bad. That was some bad play calling in the red zone there. 

Steichen gave them points by not pointing and giving it to them at mid field too. 

I hold jags win tomorrow.

Chloe you absolutely nailed that last sentence and nobody else is talking about it. We are all major JAGS fans tomorrow. They lose and not only will the Texans win the division (which will make tonight’s loss sting even more) but also the Steelers get into the playoffs. 

*Sigh*

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The fourth down isn't even what made me mad. That bull crap drive the Texans had on their last TD drive was worse. 2nd and 20 converted. 1st and 20 converted on a throwaway. A dime to Collins while getting completely blasted.

I said the same thing in the game thread. Heaven wanted them to win with how a few of those plays went for them on that TD drive.

That's how it goes I guess.

Well that was another disappointing end to a season. Not going to comment much about the game itself but we need to get better talent on this roster.

I know Ballard isn’t going anywhere so it’s up to him and ownership to start getting or talent through the door whether that be through the draft, free agency or trade.

We need 2-3 more playmakers on offense plus some help at all levels of the defense. It’s not going to be easy but it’s time to step up and deliver.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Minshew couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if he fell out a boat today.

JT with two boneheaded runs out of bounds on the last drive, especially on 2nd down where he could have fought close to the first down. Proud he fought to stay in the game but maybe a healthy Moss would have been better.

Yes! I’m glad someone else noticed this. If he cuts upfield on (I think it was) second down it’s a first easy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

How you put the ball in your back up quarterbacks hands and then throw to your 3rd string running back was just bad. That was some bad play calling in the red zone there. 

Steichen gave them points by not pointing and giving it to them at mid field too. 

I hold jags win tomorrow.

We had converted one 3rd down all game and that was on the back of a penalty. 

The Texans had keyed in on JT and if he’d been in instead of Goodson they would’ve targeted him. Goodson was open because they didn’t expect him to be the target of the play. 

The call was good. Minshew crapped the bed and so did Goodson. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

That’s what people aren’t talking about. Every team knows Goodson has came in primarily on throwing downs. Why not throw it to Taylor or Moss?? This isn’t the first time Goodson has dropped it. It wasn’t a perfect pass, but I actually trust Taylor + Moss more to make clutch plays 

And it’s not like Taylor and Moss can’t catch or heres a thought why not go to Pittman Shane said just last week if they have to have a pass you know it’s going to Pittman yet tonight when you had to have it nope.  Shane tried to be the smartest man in the room and out coached himself.

• Like 4