Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Texans post game

Just now, Smonroe said:

It was a good call. 

4th and 1 and you put your 4th string RB out there after a drive that you barely let your QB throw once? 

Will strongly disagree that being a good call considering the circumstance and the substitution. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A couple of plays swung the momentum:

1) the injury when we had a great drive going

2) the decision not to punt

Defense played well overall.  Gus pulled some plays out and went outside his norm which caused CJ into bad throws.

Injuries just killed our secondary, but overall they played decent.

Offense was disjointed at key points of the game.  I think SS was his worst enemy today on a couple of drives.

Finally, that last play was a good call.  He was open, but they just missed on the pass - for whatever reason.  Good call, poor execution.

• Like 1

Just now, SwedishColt said:

Great season and I LOVE Steichen but that was a horrible call on 4th and 1. 

Give your best players chances to make plats when it matters most. Not some RB who spent most of the season on the PS

Exactly this. You give your superstar the ball to make plays in superstar moments. The play itself isn’t even an issue for me. It’s the substitution that is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another late season collapse, losing 2 of 3.  It's a trend.  The faces change, but the post Luck era keeps chugging on.

Steichen was okay.  At no point did I think he was anywhere near coach of the year material, and he certainly wasn't tonight.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cjwhiskers said:

4th and 1 and you put your 4th string RB out there after a drive that you barely let your QB throw once? 

Will strongly disagree that being a good call considering the circumstance and the substitution. 

It was an easy pass and catch.  High schoolers make it.  Bad pass, but still should have been caught.  

Good play. 

• Like 5

Just now, cjwhiskers said:

Exactly this. You give your superstar the ball to make plays in superstar moments. The play itself isn’t even an issue for me. It’s the substitution that is. 

Should of been Moss if not jt out there

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He was open and had Pitt out in front.  If he had caught it it was a clear 1st down.  It was the right call.

You can question the personnel but not the play call.  It was excellent.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

A couple of plays swung the momentum:

1) the injury when we had a great drive going

2) the decision not to punt

Defense played well overall.  Gus pulled some plays out and went outside his norm which caused CJ into bad throws.

Injuries just killed our secondary, but overall they played decent.

Offense was disjointed at key points of the game.  I think SS was his worst enemy today on a couple of drives.

Finally, that last play was a good call.  He was open, but they just missed on the pass - for whatever reason.  Good call, poor execution.

Best way to put this game.

I am going to say I like Shane and there is denying the job he did coaching this team this year but tonight’s loss is 100% on him.  I was yelling run the ball early when he was determined to let his backup QB throw on them and two drives resulted in pretty much quick three and outs.  

Then he did run the ball but he got way too stubborn with it.  At some point you have to take a deep shot out of play action with it and Troy Aikman was calling for it all night and highlighted all the chances they had to do it yet it never came.

Then the Texans adjusted and started stuffing the and yet every 1st down is a run and still no shot to a WR only throwing when forced too.

Then he committed coaching malpractice.  4th and 1, rather than run a play you waste a time out trying to draw the other team offsides which never works and lets them rest and get set for fourth and 1.  Then he takes Taylor out completely removing running from the options and who does he replace him with?  The backup running back who has played well?  No he goes to the practice squad scrub back who is known for drops and THROWS it to him who of course drops it.  

Shane has done a very good job as a whole this year but he has a lot to work on with play calling and realizing you aren’t going to out cute and out smart other coaches in the NFL and end up only out smarting yourself.  Thanks to his performance tonight he now has a full off-season to work on it. :facepalm:

• Like 4

I 100% agree. You dont pay a guy a big contract to sit on the bench on the play that decides the game.

You make sure  your best player gets the ball and if doesnt make it happen then so be it

• Like 1

Minshew couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if he fell out a boat today.

JT with two boneheaded runs out of bounds on the last drive, especially on 2nd down where he could have fought close to the first down. Proud he fought to stay in the game but maybe a healthy Moss would have been better.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dark_Indy said:

Playcall wasn't the problem. 

We just needed Minshew and Goodson to not suck for exactly one play. Minshew couldn't handle it. 

Yet the play call was to have Goodson in the game at all when you have your all world running back you just paid a tone of money too as an option or at least Moss.  So yes play calling was the problem.  Play calling also invovles the personal on the play.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1