Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Texans post game

9 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I’m with you 100 percent. I just don’t understand either of those runs. Especially on the second one — as I’m watching it I know it’s going to be a first down and then he just trots out of bounds way short. Mind boggling. 

like I said before, I don’t think he is the same player he used to be!

31 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

:facepalm: I am not buying the best play an offensive genius could come up with on the season on the line was a throw from your backup QB to your practice squad running back.  With the season on the line you need to trust your best players.  Look at what the Texans did with Stroud and Collins for example.  They didn’t shy away from them because they knew the Colts would be expecting it they dared them to stop it and the Colts failed.  I don’t know how many times teams knew Harrison, Wayne, Clark, or Hilton was getting the ball and couldn’t stop it.  Shane should have trusted his stars in that situation.  Instead he out coached himself which he’s done multiple times this season.  

Again, I like Shane overall and there is denying the positive impact his coaching had on this team this season but he has things to work on.  I hope he does.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, that is why people need to maintain perspective. Minshew's backup QB tendencies showed up on and off, and unfortunately this time at an inopportune moment, IMO. So he exceeds the bar of expectations sometimes but also lowers the bar, something you have to live with as a backup QB but an outstanding one for us.

strong perspective here… we overachieved with Minshew. No one saw a winning season in the cards, and especially not after a promising Richardson went down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Zoltan said:

How I feel is we were the better team but they had the better QB play

we had a historically bad QB play this game and still were 20 yards away from winning .  that tells me with a real QB we can be a good team .   to put up 140 passing yards 0 touchdowns 54 completion percentage and still almost win is very impressive to me

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think Steichen was as disappointed with Minshew this season as I’ve been. He was just so limited, and he played like 2021 Carson Wentz against the raiders with the playoffs on the line. Overthrowing or flat out missing open receivers. Not making “gimmes” as Ballard put it back then. 1-11 on third down is not a team problem. It’s a qb problem. 

As a starting QB he's just not good enough for the reasons you mentioned. It's unfortunate we had to rely on him at the final moment, but I guess it is what it is. We're still 9-8 right? I know the schedule has been a cakewalk this season, but it's still better than most expected (including me). I do think we've won this many games in spite of Minshew, though. With Steichen scheming around Minshew's many weaknesses we made it this far. That's promising at least.

I hope we have a busy offseason and Ballard makes some good moves...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

No Shane it’s on you for calling a pass play from your backup QB to your practice squad running back.  It’s nice Shane holds players accountable but he needs to look in the mirror and hold himself accountable too.  

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Why? I like the Texans and Stroud better than those Duuuvvvall guys. Stroud doesn't make many mistakes and he is years ahead of TLaw as a rookie. I like watching Stroud play better than watching TLaw play. Stroud makes guys like Nico Collins, who would be a journeyman with other QBs. TLaw has far more pass catching talent than Stroud too, thanks to Khan opening up his wallet. You must have a bias there.

I read this and kept saying Ty Law the whole time I saw TLaw lol

Just now, dw49 said:

My goat of the game goes to D Baker Jr. On that final Texan drive , his awful attempt at a tackle turned a 3rd and around 14 into a 3rd and 4. 

2nd and 20 into a 3rd and 3. His craptastic tackling gave them 17 yards.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

:facepalm: I am not buying the best play an offensive genius could come up with on the season on the line was a throw from your backup QB to your practice squad running back.  With the season on the line you need to trust your best players.  Look at what the Texans did with Stroud and Collins for example.  They didn’t shy away from them because they knew the Colts would be expecting it they dared them to stop it and the Colts failed.  I don’t know how many times teams knew Harrison, Wayne, Clark, or Hilton was getting the ball and couldn’t stop it.  Shane should have trusted his stars in that situation.  Instead he out coached himself which he’s done multiple times this season.  

Again, I like Shane overall and there is denying the positive impact his coaching had on this team this season but he has things to work on.  I hope he does.

I look at it from two perspectives. His and mine. I feel the same way you do. You live and die by your key players. But from his perspective, they ran that play in practice successfully, and it was the right play- it just didn’t translate from the practice field. Moment was too big and it was dropped. He sounds convicted in the decision. They got the look. Took the timeout. It was there and hit him open in the hands. had he caught it, we still had 10 or more yards to go to score. It wasn’t like that play was going to win us the game. It just lost it. 

He’s going to learn and grow from this season. He’ll be his hardest critic, without any doubt in my mind. He’s a young rookie coach, playing with a mediocre qb. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Emotional Overreaction!!! Hindsight 20/20.

The pass to Dan Klecko by Peyton, pass to David Tyree by Eli, pass to Bryan Fletcher by Peyton, there are always unsung heroes. They just did not execute. You think Steichen would have run that play if they didn't practice it a LOT. 

Nah, I disagree here. Marshawn Lynch on the 1 yard line in a SB says the same thing but that was a play the Seahawks ran just 2 times the entire season but Belichick was ready for it and Malcolm Butler made a great play. Plus the Patriots were in jumbo formation and had done very well in those formations against short yardage situations.

So, my point is, you can go re-visit play calling from a different angles but players play and execute it and when they do, it doesn't matter who made the play. Go for a 57 yard FG, kicker doesn't make it, coach gets the blame, and the kicker makes it, the kicker gets the credit. You have a run up the gut on 4th & 1 that gets stuffed, people will bring Frank Reich comparisons.

It was a good play call but it was terrible execution with a less than ideal throw from Minshew and a botched catch by Goodson, that is all I see there is to it.

No it wasn’t and no it’s not.  Shane tried to get cute and out coached himself.

Just now, chad72 said:

Emotional Overreaction!!! Hindsight 20/20.

The pass to Dan Klecko by Peyton, pass to David Tyree by Eli, pass to Bryan Fletcher by Peyton, there are always unsung heroes. They just did not execute. You think Steichen would have run that play if they didn't practice it a LOT. 

Nah, I disagree here. Marshawn Lynch on the 1 yard line in a SB says the same thing but that was a play the Seahawks ran just 2 times the entire season but Belichick was ready for it and Malcolm Butler made a great play. Plus the Patriots were in jumbo formation and had done very well in those formations against short yardage situations.

So, my point is, you can go re-visit play calling from a different angles but players play and execute it and when they do, it doesn't matter who made the play. Go for a 57 yard FG, kicker doesn't make it, coach gets the blame, and the kicker makes it, the kicker gets the credit. You have a run up the gut on 4th & 1 that gets stuffed, people will bring Frank Reich comparisons.

It was a good play call but it was terrible execution with a less than ideal throw from Minshew and a botched catch by Goodson, that is all I see there is to it.

I had a coach that said that the very best that coaches can do is put you in best position to make plays, but they couldn’t make them for you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

One good thing about tonight we should never have to watch Baker in a Colts uniform again.

Yeah, he just can't be on the team next season. Possibly the worst tackler I've ever seen and not just based on that one play - he's had multiple terrible tackles this season.

Just now, Solid84 said:

Yeah, he just can't be on the team next season. Possibly the worst tackler I've ever seen and not just based on that one play - he's had multiple terrible tackles this season.

Seriously sad tackling efforts. 

for a team that priorities receivers that block well and corners that tackle well, he has no business on the roster. Zero. 

• Like 1

Just now, chad72 said:

I will just agree to disagree here.

You can but you are in position to tell me if i am having emotional over reaction or not.  You don’t know my feelings.  You trust your stars in big moments not your practice squad running back and back up QB.  I am sorry I am not going to buy the best play Shane could come up with the season on the line was a throw from your backup QB to a practice squad running back who hadn’t been in the game all night.  

Well Colts have the 17th pick would be interesting where they go. This team needs secondary and play makers on offense. Hopefully we move on from Big Mo he has a awful 20 yard drop and just disappears for most games.

7 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

2nd and 20 into a 3rd and 3. His craptastic tackling gave them 17 yards.

I couldn't believe that till I did a double take on it. It shouldn't happen with a season on the line.  But then, the Falcons' game gave us a little glimpse of the lows in tackling the unit could achieve, though this was isolated.

• Like 1

Just now, JediXMan said:

Well Colts have the 17th pick would be interesting where they go. This team needs secondary and play makers on offense. Hopefully we move on from Big Mo he has an  awful 20 yard drop and just disappears for most games.

I am heavy on the thought that this team would be better served having a top tier tight end and the same receiving core with AR than with the same tight end group and adding weapons at receiver. This receiving core has had no consistency or performance at qb. The tight end group has no premier pass catchers with or without qb performance. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Well Colts have the 17th pick would be interesting where they go. This team needs secondary and play makers on offense. Hopefully we move on from Big Mo he has a awful 20 yard drop and just disappears for most games.

we need a wr or tightend first before anything .   then a safety 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If JT is in on that play and we lose the way we did then so be it. If Zach moss is in on that play and we lose the way we did then so be it..... but Tyler Goodson? On the most important play of the season. No fing shot. This is the most upset I've been over a Colts loss in a very long time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bsteves said:

If JT is in on that play and we lose the way we did then so be it. If Zach moss is in on that play and we lose the way we did then so be it..... but Tyler Goodson? On the most important play of the season. No fing shot. This is the most upset I've been over a Colts loss in a very long time.

Exactly trust the guys who brought you to the dance.  Shane got too cute and out coached himself and paid for it.

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

One good thing about tonight we should never have to watch Baker in a Colts uniform again.

Remember all, he was out CB1 going into the season. No clue how they let that happen.

We couldn’t throw the ball.  We couldn’t catch the ball.  Maybe a couple of explosive plays on offense outside of JT run.  This game is not close if JT doesn’t have the game he had. 

We need playmakers on offense.  Our first pick needs to be a playmaking WR.  Second pick needs to be a FS because someone has to replace Rodney Thomas.

With that said, this season was a success and I’m very excited for next year.   

• Thanks 1

Just now, smittywerb said:

We couldn’t throw the ball.  We couldn’t catch the ball.  Maybe a couple of explosive plays on offense outside of JT run.  This game is not close if JT doesn’t have the game he had. 

We need playmakers on offense.  Our first pick needs to be a playmaking WR.  Second pick needs to be a FS because someone has to replace Rodney Thomas.

what if our draft position has a playmaking cornerback for the taking? Are  you still reaching for a receiver that isn’t as as high on the draft board? 

I don’t disagree with you on the needs, I’m just curious. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

we need a wr or tightend first before anything .   then a safety 

Secondary should be the number one priority. We can’t even go into next season relying on Brent’s health.  The WR group will automatically be better with Richardson. It won’t hurt to add to that though.

2 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Or at least give them a chance, I was calling for it the whole second half and so was Troy Aikman where was the deep shot out of play action to Pierce?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, FRW said:

The horrible calls in the Browns game come back to haunt us. If they don't happen, we don't need this game. That being said why for the biggest play of the season do you put in a third string PS player to throw to?

Everyone seems to FORGET that BEFORE the refs botched that game in the end that the Colts gave up a THIRTY yard pass play down the sidelines on a 3rd and 25 by a backup qb for the Browns to keep that game winning drive alive THUS setting up an opportunity for the refs to determine the outcome.

3 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

We need our quarterback to come back and stay healthy.

• Like 2

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

what if our draft position has a playmaking cornerback for the taking? Are  you still reaching for a receiver that isn’t as as high on the draft board? 

I don’t disagree with you on the needs, I’m just curious. 

Good question.  If that cornerback is THAT good I’d say take him.  If not, we need to get a WR1 and that’s very doable at 17 in this draft.   This draft is deep at WR and now that we’re not making the playoffs, we are sure to be able to grab a highly graded WR.  Someone like Odunze or Troy Franklin should be available at 17.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Exactly trust the guys who brought you to the dance.  Shane got too cute and out coached himself and paid for it.

I don’t disagree on trusting your key players. But they were keying hard on the run. They had just stuffed the 3rd down play. The playcall was there, and it was anything but cute. He says (and minshew says in his presser too, for what it’s worth) that the play to Goodson, who they viewed as their pass catching back, was practiced “a million times” according to minshew. It was anything but cute. It was a simple throw out of the backfield. 

• Thanks 2