Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Texans post game

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

Oh come on. This is nonsense and you know it. Process over result. The goal of the playcall is to put your players at the best possible position to execute via predicting tendencies of the defense, creating conflict for them and giving your guys a chance to make a play. This playcall achieved all that and created a WIDE FREAKING open play.

Agreed. They run a play designed to get a player open, the player is wide open just like they drew it up. 

I get the argument that they should have called a play for one of the best players on the team. But arguing that the play call didn't work because the players didn't execute is a different story. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Agreed. They run a play designed to get a player open, the player is wide open just like they drew it up. 

I get the argument that they should have called a play for one of the best players on the team. But arguing that the play call didn't work because the players didn't execute is a different story. 

Well it was a third string RB. Of course execution might not be as great then if it was one of your stars. Your better players are better for a reason.

26 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Won't be a popular take I realize but this team wasn't going to do anything in the playoffs.  So it's probably for the best.

I respect the way they played tonight too.  Boys left it all on the field.

Good first season by Steichen but it's a lot harder to contend than it is to fight for a wildcard.  Can he coach a team to a high seed.  I like his chances though I think for that to happen he's going to need a much better roster.

I agree . We at best could make it to the 2nd round. More likely 1 and done. Very doubtful Smith would have been back and probably no Brents and more Baker. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Based on all that I am reading, Odunze might be gone by the Top 12.

But if it is as deep at WR like most are saying, we should get a very good one even if we trade back in Round 1 and gain more shots at the board for Day 2, IMO.

Then honestly I’m down for trading down from 17 to 12 or even 9 to grab odunze.  No way can anyone look at our wide receiver stat lines and say we’re ok.  Even with AR, I think it’ll just be a little bit better because we still lack playmaking receivers.  Alec Pierce can only do one thing, Pittman can’t catch passes past the sticks, and downs is easily doubled because no one can stretch the field for him to operate in space.  

Don’t get me wrong, like I said, AR should make our receivers look better.  But that would still leave us with just AR and JT as our dynamic players on offense.  We need more.  

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah but arguing it did work with out good execution doesn’t fly either.  It was a good design no argument there but that doesn’t mean squat if the play isn’t executed and it wasn’t so ultimately the play failed.  The issue I have, and I think most people have with it was using Goodson, which was still the coaches call.  Again, maybe using Taylor doesn’t change anything but I would have sure liked to have seen it with Taylor.  I think that’s what most people are saying.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well it was a third string RB. Of course execution might not be as great then if it was one of your stars. Your better players are better for a reason.

All they had to do was make a simple throw and catch. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

All they had to do was make a simple throw and catch. 

It was thrown behind if he had to twist to get it.  You want your better pass catchers to be in on that play. They can make uo for a underthrown ball.

Texans don’t stop going to their best player when they knee colts would try and stop them.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah but arguing it did work with out good execution doesn’t fly either.  It was a good design no argument there but that doesn’t mean squat if the play isn’t executed and it wasn’t so ultimately the play failed.  The issue I have, and I think most people have with it was using Goodson, which was still the coaches call.  Again, maybe using Taylor doesn’t change anything but I would have sure liked to have seen it with Taylor.  I think that’s what most people are saying.  

I understand the criticism. But they asked the QB to throw a simple pass, and they asked a RB to make a simple catch. It's not like they asked someone to do something that isn't part of their job. It wasn't a trick play, HB pass, double reverse, shovel pass (we already saw Minshew mess that one up this season), fake FG, or something other low percentage play. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I understand the criticism. But they asked the QB to throw a simple pass, and they asked a RB to make a simple catch. It's not like they asked someone to do something that isn't part of their job. It wasn't a trick play, HB pass, double reverse, shovel pass (we already saw Minshew mess that one up this season), fake FG, or something other low percentage play. 

it was in the words of Chris Ballard “a layup.” 

shane Steichen gave minshew and Goodson a layup and they missed it. 

And I think they’ll both be elsewhere in 2024 because of it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Something is wrong when the HC likes the play that takes the only guy who has had success off the field.

Yes, and people acting like Goodson’s practicing the play a few times makes him the natural target for the biggest play of the year. He caught six passes all year! SIX! It’s not Sproles coming out of the backfield. 

Just now, ShuteAt168 said:

Yes, and people acting like Goodson’s practicing the play a few times makes him the natural target for the biggest play of the year. He caught six passes all year! SIX! It’s not Sproles coming out of the backfield. 

he caught 6 of 7 targets coming in (85%) and was wide open with the ball put in his hands. 

that’s a pretty dang high percentage playcall. As @Superman said, it’s not like he was asked to do something crazy. It was a layup. 

• Like 3

Just now, Superman said:

I understand that (and I am not letting Minshew off the hook for his crap throw either) but you just can’t go to Goodson there, that’s where he got too cute.  Again, maybe with the crap throw Taylor being in there wouldn’t have mattered at all but if that had been the case everyone would just be killing Minshew right now and not questioning why Shane didnt have Goodson in there.  

I know it’s not popular but I would have even felt better with some kind of run from Taylor there.  Go down swinging with your best player and the best player on the field that night and he wasn’t even on the field for the most important play of your season.  That’s just a mistake that can’t be over looked.  

It doesn’t mean you need to do anything like fire Shane, that would be dumb and gross over reaction, but I’ll agree with what someone else said earlier in this thread I hope as time goes on Shane looks in the mirror and comes to understand maybe he’s trying a little too hard to outsmart the other team and maybe sometimes you just have to trust your stars to a make a play when you have to have it.  It’s an area he can get better this year.  We saw a lot of Shane trying to out smart the other team this year, running the offense and kicking teams off and on, trying to draw the other team off sides and taking timeouts for example and very little of it worked.  I’ve also seen Shane be a little stubborn, like tonight when it became clear the Texans had adjusted to the run yet Shane was still trying to pound it down their throat on first down rather than calling a play action pass to take a shot.  So my fear is his stubbornness causes him to dig his heels in and go this was all Minshew’s fault from the bad throw and not learn maybe he could have made some better decisions too.

Worst case scenario honestly. Finish 9-8 with a winning record to have poor draft position and miss the playoffs, while the biggest problem with this team (Chris Ballard) will get another free pass. Ballard is a safe GM who isn't willing to be aggressive, and more times than not, the Colts choke or lose in big games or against good teams under him. The fact that he primarily builds through the draft has caught up to him.

I don't want to hear that we would have done better with AR. He was still a rookie, and there's no guarantee we win 10 games with him, despite the upside we saw out of him. Steichen worked well with Minshew, but the fact is we lost 2 out of our last 3 and 3 of our last 5. This team is a bunch of chokers and Chris Ballard sucks as a GM. Now he'll get an 8th year to see if Richardson hits and if we miss the playoffs, people will say it was his first real year and Ballard would get a 9th year. 

Again, 1 playoff win in 7 years. No division wins. 2 playoff appearances and a 54-60-1 record. Fans are happy with this. Let's celebrate a 9-8 record where we miss the playoffs even though AR will be our QB next year and Minshew probably won't be on the team (yeah we probably priced him off the team). Now next year will be this year all over again, except can we do it with AR (and yes, I'm happy we have AR, I'm not happy next year is essentially a rookie year all over again and we will have the same mindset as this year next year).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I understand that (and I am not letting Minshew off the hook for his crap throw either) but you just can’t go to Goodson there, that’s where he got too cute.  Again, maybe with the crap throw Taylor being in there wouldn’t have mattered at all but if that had been the case everyone would just be killing Minshew right now and not questioning why Shane didnt have Goodson in there.  

I know it’s not popular but I would have even felt better with some kind of run from Taylor there.  Go down swinging with your best player and the best player on the field that night and he wasn’t even on the field for the most important play of your season.  That’s just a mistake that can’t be over looked.  

It doesn’t mean you need to do anything like fire Shane, that would be dumb and gross over reaction, but I’ll agree with what someone else said earlier in this thread I hope as time goes on Shane looks in the mirror and comes to understand maybe he’s trying a little too hard to outsmart the other team and maybe sometimes you just have to trust your stars to a make a play when you have to have it.  It’s an area he can get better this year.  We saw a lot of Shane trying to out smart the other team this year, running the offense and kicking teams off and on, trying to draw the other team off sides and taking timeouts for example and very little of it worked.  I’ve also seen Shane be a little stubborn, like tonight when it became clear the Texans had adjusted to the run yet Shane was still trying to pound it down their throat on first down rather than calling a play action pass to take a shot.  So my fear is his stubbornness causes him to dig his heels in and go this was all Minshew’s fault from the bad throw and not learn maybe he could have made some better decisions too.

You don't find it contradictory to say that Steichen was being stubborn in trying to pound it in the run game, while also saying you wish he had tried to pound it in the run game?

The other tricky stuff they tried at times this year was low leverage trickery, when they were willing to take a penalty or use a timeout if it didn't work. And they actually did get a first down from the trickery earlier in the season, and I'm not surprised that they tried it again in this game. Not very similar in my mind. 

I don't think having your QB throw to a professional running back is "cute." Part of Minshew's job is to throw, part of Goodson's job is to catch. They should be able to be counted on to make a simple throw and catch. It was a routine play, one of the easiest plays they'll ever be asked to make to be honest. 

There are times when a TE winds up trying to block a DE, or something like that where the player is out of their element and outmatched, and the play call sets them up for failure. This wasn't that. Minshew should be able to make that throw, and Goodson should be able to make that catch. The play call did exactly what it was supposed to do, and the players blew it. I don't think Steichen has anything to think about or regret. If we can't count on our veteran QB who has been the starter for more than 3 months to make a simple throw to the flat, or we can't count on any skill player to make a simple catch when he's wide open, then those players shouldn't be active on game day. These are baseline functions. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

56 minutes ago, Superman said:

You don't find it contradictory to say that Steichen was being stubborn in trying to pound it in the run game, while also saying you wish he had tried to pound it in the run game?

no I don’t because they are different situations.  One you need a yard to keep your season alive.  The other you need 10 yards to get a first down and you have at least two more chances if you fail.  No one is going to fault you for turning to your best player with the season on the line to get you one yard. 

The other tricky stuff they tried at times this year was low leverage trickery, when they were willing to take a penalty or use a timeout if it didn't work. And they actually did get a first down from the trickery earlier in the season, and I'm not surprised that they tried it again in this game. Not very similar in my mind. 

The common theme has been Shane has tried out smart his opponents and more times than not it hasn’t worked and that includes tonight because it doesn’t matter how pretty the play design is if it doesn’t get executed by the personal you put out there it still failed.  

I don't think having your QB throw to a professional running back is "cute." Part of Minshew's job is to throw, part of Goodson's job is to catch. They should be able to be counted on to make a simple throw and catch. It was a routine play, one of the easiest plays they'll ever be asked to make to be honest. 

stop with the professional running back stuff.  All these guys play in the NFL it’s not a debate if they are a professional running back or not.  What is a debate is it wise to take your best player, and the best player on the field that night off the field with the season on the line and go with a third string running back that has six career receptions and hadnt played all night?  Saying he’s professional running back is like saying it would have been okay to take Peyton Manning out for a play in the Super Bowl and put Sorgi in because he’s a professional Quarterback.  One is clearly is much better than the other and should be in there if your season is on the line.  

There are times when a TE winds up trying to block a DE, or something like that where the player is out of their element and outmatched, and the play call sets them up for failure. This wasn't that. Minshew should be able to make that throw, and Goodson should be able to make that catch. The play call did exactly what it was supposed to do, and the players blew it. I don't think Steichen has anything to think about or regret. If we can't count on our veteran QB who has been the starter for more than 3 months to make a simple throw to the flat, or we can't count on any skill player to make a simple catch when he's wide open, then those players shouldn't be active on game day. These are baseline functions. 

The play design looked good but the execution just wasn’t there.  So again, no matter how much you try to spin it it didn’t do exactly what it was supposed to do because it was supposed to get a first down and didn’t.  It doesn’t matter how perfect of a play call you make if you don’t execute it the play ultimately failed and didn’t do exactly what it was supposed to do, especially when you make a questionable decision as the personal you out on the field to execute the play.  I don’t know maybe they can hang a banner that says “but the play design was good”

we are simply going to have to agree to disageee.

• Like 1

I like Shane and I think he is going to be very good in the years to come. But I stand by what I said he got cute and it bit him. My biggest concern is Gus. How many 3rd and longs can your team give up and you keep your job? I would move on from him. His defense is horrible.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I agree.  But let’s face it…do you think we would have won next week?

Doesn't matter. You get in the playoffs, you have a chance. You don't get in the playoffs, you have no chance. Thanks to this game, we literally have a 0% chance. That's all that matters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yourself and quite a few others seemed to have no issue with Goodson several weeks ago and were singing his praises when we won and would have been again if he'd caught the ball......the play call did exactly what it was supposed to do as everyone can see. It was on the players not the coach, plenty of crucial plays on every team have been run by depth players and successfully executed. 

• Thanks 4

Minshew was off all game. These are the games where QB play trumps everything else which is why the Texans are in the playoffs and the Colts aren’t. Minshew had less passing yards than JT had rushing yards. Zero TDs. Minshew needed one more good drive and 7 points and this team is in the playoffs and he couldn’t deliver in 58 minutes of football. Hence why he’s a backup and not a starter. I really hope AR can stay healthy in 2024. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballards presser next week will be interesting. Secondary needs a overhaul and that should be the number one priority in the offseason.

I wish the media would tear him a new one, but they'll probably kiss his behind because of the winning record. The media is a bunch of gutless cowards in Indy.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I wish the media would tear him a new one, but they'll probably kiss his behind because of the winning record. The media is a bunch of gutless cowards in Indy.

What winning record?   

Ballard’s GM record with the Colts is under water.   He’s under 500.   

If you’re talking about a winning record this season, it IS something to be respected.   Sorry you don’t understand that.  

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

What winning record?   

Ballard’s GM record with the Colts is under water.   He’s under 500.   

If you’re talking about a winning record this season, it IS something to be respected.   Sorry you don’t understand that.  

I'm talking about the 9-8 record this season. I guarantee you Ballard will mention that he's proud of that in his presser, despite missing the playoffs, and I guarantee you the media will kiss his behind and not ask any hardball questions. There will be a celebration like this season is a success despite the chokejob. Celebrating mediocrity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Some big decisions to be made and those can’t be mad there is a decision on Bradley and if a new DC is brought in. I don’t think it is a  for gone conclusion we bring Moore and Grover back. 

Grover deserves his money

At this point, I would fire Ballard and promote Ed Dodds to GM and Morocco Brown to Assistant GM. That will keep them from being poached and will allow us to keep Shane Steichen since Dodds would like him. We need to try something new. Dodds is going to go soon IMO if he isn't promoted to a GM role. Same with Morocco Brown. Last thing we need is to keep Ballard and lose both Dodds and Brown in the offseason. Rather lose Ballard and promote Dodds and Brpwn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

At this point, I would fire Ballard and promote Ed Dodds to GM and Morocco Brown to Assistant GM. That will keep them from being poached and will allow us to keep Shane Steichen since Dodds would like him. We need to try something new. Dodds is going to go soon IMO if he isn't promoted to a GM role. Same with Morocco Brown. Last thing we need is to keep Ballard and lose both Dodds and Brown in the offseason. Rather lose Ballard and promote Dodds and Brpwn.

Ballard isn't getting fired

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yoshinator said:

I'm talking about the 9-8 record this season. I guarantee you Ballard will mention that he's proud of that in his presser, despite missing the playoffs, and I guarantee you the media will kiss his behind and not ask any hardball questions. There will be a celebration like this season is a success despite the chokejob. Celebrating mediocrity.

Not even sure where to begin. 

• Like 1

After taking a few hours of sleep, my world looks a lot brighter. I was really angry right after the game. And I know I'm mostly on the negative side when things are not going in the right direction come game day.

But after waking up with my 5 month old son smiling at me, my feelings have lighten up.

It's football and yes we all live the colts and I love all those feelings that come with it. The good and the bad.

But if I look at the season, we did more good than bad. We have a first year headcoach who's still learning and a really young secondary that was not 100% scheme fit drafted for our DC(my opinion).

We had Minshew starting almost the whole season and are still above .500.

Overall,I think this team is trending in the right direction and will play meaningful football in December and probably in January for the next years to come.

And I think that we as Colts fans should be more happy about our team than most of the other franchises in the NFL.

Can't wait for the next season!

ps: this was a great year just for seeing Colts beat Pats live in the Stadium 🤪

• Like 1

Another horror Colts playoff lost. Ranks up there with: Baily drop ball, Vandy wide right, Bens shoe string tacke, and best of all; Ghost to the Post.

18 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

After taking a few hours of sleep, my world looks a lot brighter. I was really angry right after the game. And I know I'm mostly on the negative side when things are not going in the right direction come game day.

But after waking up with my 5 month old son smiling at me, my feelings have lighten up.

It's football and yes we all live the colts and I love all those feelings that come with it. The good and the bad.

But if I look at the season, we did more good than bad. We have a first year headcoach who's still learning and a really young secondary that was not 100% scheme fit drafted for our DC(my opinion).

We had Minshew starting almost the whole season and are still above .500.

Overall,I think this team is trending in the right direction and will play meaningful football in December and probably in January for the next years to come.

And I think that we as Colts fans should be more happy about our team than most of the other franchises in the NFL.

Can't wait for the next season!

ps: this was a great year just for seeing Colts beat Pats live in the Stadium 🤪

Not exactly the Brady Pats.

2 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Another horror Colts playoff lost. Ranks up there with: Baily drop ball, Vandy wide right, Bens shoe string tacke, and best of all; Ghost to the Post.

Not exactly the Brady Pats.

That doesn't bother me at all😁.

Saw the Colts live and they won. For me,that is smthn special I will never forget.

2 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

At this point, you won’t do anything but watch what happens isn’t that right? 

13 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

At this point, you won’t do anything but watch what happens isn’t that right? 

It depends if I win Powerball or Mega Millions. If I do, I will be a minority investor in the Colts and coerce Irsay to make decisions based on my best judgment. Otherwise, yes, I will only watch lol. haha 

Lots of discussion.  It all boiled down to a wide-open pass to the flat with the QB failing to throw the ball to the correct spot.  I think MInshew missed the target because he was shocked that the back was so open.  

It's as simple as that.

I woke up this morning- after very little sleep- feeling pretty good about the future of Colts football. No uncertainty at head coach, just lots of film and learning to do this offseason for him, maybe some assistant coaching decisions… no uncertainty at who our qb is going to be in 2024. Pretty good core of guys to build on. 

The hunger this team is going to feel going into the offseason and into the 2024 season is immense. Let it stew. 

• Like 2