Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Texans post game

When your in that suction you pull out your plays for your best players and pick one. You go down swinging with your best players so be it.

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

It was the right play call the RB was open and their was room to run after the catch. 

^This 

One thing about the soft zone is all your secondary have to be great at open field tackles because if one person misses it will be a big gain, our defense is actually worse when its 2nd or 3rd and long. Its very frustrating because when you have a team on their heels you should have an advantage but our play calling puts the pressure on the secondary not on the offense.

Players are greater than plays. You DLL vilified Reich for this.

• Like 1

Just now, Zoltan said:

they would until it failed then they would use hindsight and call it unimaginative and predictable.

There is a saying for that "d@m... if you do, d@m... if you don't" :) 

• Like 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Disagree for the same reasons I’ve stated in this thread, play calls also include personal.

at some point you have to trust your players and can't do what the defense expects you to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Disagree for the same reasons I’ve stated in this thread, play calls also include personal.

Did you watch the pressers? 

the playcall was based on personnel. They viewed Goodson as the pass catching back and that play as the one that would be open. Had JT been out there, it’s not likely open. They saw man coverage, had the play and it was dropped by a guy that catches it everyday in practice. Get over it. It wasn’t the reason we didn’t win this game. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

People would have settled for Reich and his run down the middle on 4th and 1, from the looks of it here. :) 

Regardless of who the coach is…your best player had 180+ yards on 30 or so carry’s at around 6 ypc…it should be up to the best player on the field at that time to get the yard.

likewise, I’d say if Pittman or granson had gone off on this defense then that is likely the place you should go with it. Chiefs are good at that going to Kelce over and over again when it matters most because he is the best player on the field (not in the QB position)

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

When your in that suction you pull out your plays for your best players and pick one. You go down swinging with your best players so be it.

Yeah I think that’s what most that don’t understand why people were upset with play call are missing.  They weren’t upset with a throw to a running back in that situation.  It’s using a rookie off the practice squad who has had drop issues and hadn’t played all night.  That’s too much pressure to put on a kid in that situation and it failed.  

• Like 1

It's 7:30 AM here in Sweden and I haven't been able to fall asleep yet. I just can't get over that drop. 

I'm still proud of the team and all the progress that we've made this season. This loss doesn't sting as much as the one to the Jags in 2021 imo. That one was embarerassing on all levels and was just a total collapse. 

This game very different. We lost a game which most "experts" thought we would lose. What hurts the most this time is it feels like such a missed oppurtunity though. We didn't lose becuase Texans were the far superior team. We lost cos of our own mistakes and not being clutch in key moments.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

One good thing about tonight we should never have to watch Baker in a Colts uniform again.

Ballard will just replace him with ANOTHER low round pick and expect him to pan out. Time to start trading UP and DRAFTING some studs instead of trading down getting meh types overall ESPECIALLY if you're not seeking game changers in FA.

Crazy that the Texans as reported by ESPN could end up with the COY in Ryan, offensive ROY in Stroud, defensive ROY in Anderson, EOY in Caserio and possibly a division title depending on the Jags outcome tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

at some point you have to trust your players and can't do what the defense expects you to do.

You'd think a role player has never made a play with that mindset.

Jordan didn't take every final shot.

I won't kill Shane either for using Goodson there.

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

the playcall was based on personnel. They viewed Goodson as the pass catching back and that play as the one that would be open. Had JT been out there, it’s not likely open. They saw man coverage, had the play and it was dropped by a guy that catches it everyday in practice. Get over it. It wasn’t the reason we didn’t win this game. 

And I think it was mistake to view it that way, that’s why I have an issue with Shane.  Also, it was the drive to try to win or tie the game and the fourth down call so yes it was why they lost the game.  Was it the only reason they lost?  No it wasn’t but to say it’s not why they lost is simply incorrect.  Lastly, I don’t have to get over it just because you don’t like that I don’t agree with the coach.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Ballard will just replace him with ANOTHER low round pick and expect him to pan out. Time to start trading UP and DRAFTING some studs instead of trading down getting meh types overall ESPECIALLY if you're not seeking game changers in FA.

Crazy that the Texans as reported by ESPN could end up with the COY in Ryan, offensive ROY in Stroud, defensive ROY in Anderson, EOY in Caserio and possibly a division title depending on the Jags outcome tomorrow.

The low round draft Jones was probably the Colts best corner all season and did work out.

5 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Regardless of who the coach is…your best player had 180+ yards on 30 or so carry’s at around 6 ypc…it should be up to the best player on the field at that time to get the yard.

likewise, I’d say if Pittman or granson had gone off on this defense then that is likely the place you should go with it. Chiefs are good at that going to Kelce over and over again when it matters most because he is the best player on the field (not in the QB position)

I don't know man. If Goodson catches it and we score a TD on that drive, we don't even have this conversation stating that I wish he had not gone to Goodson even though he made those catches in practice and earned the coaches' trust. 

I at least believe in the coaches enough that they won't put a play on the field against certain formations if they didn't feel it won't succeed. Either you go with that belief or you don't. Just can't have it both ways, based on the end results. I can't come here and say "I trust Steichen ONLY if his called plays work". That is how I see it. Is that a fair assessment?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Ballard has been good at finding quality players deep in the draft.  It’s nothing to scoff at.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, chad72 said:

I don't know man. If Goodson catches it and we score a TD on that drive, we don't even have this conversation stating that I wish he had not gone to Goodson even though he made those catches in practice and earned the coaches' trust. 

I at least believe in the coaches enough that they won't put a play on the field against certain formations if they didn't feel it won't succeed. Either you go with that belief or you don't. Just can't have it both ways, based on the end results. That is how I see it. Is that a fair assessment?

Absolutely a fair assessment. But because it did fail we analyze the WHY.  Like any successful entrepreneur he looks at his failures the most so that he can succeed next time. 

• Like 1

Just finished watching.

Why give JT the huge contract just to take him out for the biggest play of the season when he is having his best game of the season. Im very very puzzled by this.

Overall Steichen has been great though.

Team in general way overachieved this season and benefited greatly from the third easiest strength of schedule in the league. We beat up on all the bad teams is pretty much how we got where we are. 

Still not a believer in Ballard but hoping he proves me wrong.

Excited to see a full season of AR but very nervous about him being made of glass.

Fun, unexpected, tough way to end but really who thought we would get here anyways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

alot if this reply doesn't make sense to me and i don't know was DLL means, and no you use the play that gives you the best chance for success. That's also why the fg was the best move because they knew scores were gonna be rare in this game. This isn't the NBA where you give the ball to one player at some point you will have to trust your players to make the right play at the right time, not just your best player.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Steichen said that? That if JT was in the game, he wouldn't have been open? 

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s using a rookie off the practice squad who has had drop issues and hadn’t played all night

now you are just making stuff up to try and justify your point. What drop issues are you talking about? 7 targets 6 receptions this year. 

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And I think it was mistake to view it that way, that’s why I have an issue with Shane.  Also, it was the drive to try to win or lose the game and the fourth down call so yes it was why they lost the game.  Was it the only reason they lost?  No it wasn’t but to say it’s not why they lost is simply incorrect.  Lastly, I don’t have to get over it just because you don’t like that I don’t agree with the coach.

if it wasn’t the only reason they lost then it can’t be why they lost. That’s very contradicting. Has he made the catch, they still have to score the touchdown and kick the extra point/keep them from scoring again. It’s not why they lost, but it was the end of the game. 

6 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Absolutely a fair assessment. But because it did fail we analyze the WHY.  Like any successful entrepreneur he looks at his failures the most so that he can succeed next time. 

Yeah but if it works the next time, should he just call plays based on the size of the contract, which is proportional to the playmakers valued on a squad, or should he be quick to adapt with a player that is more of the utility kind that he has seen execute it in practice several times? 

Most investors say "past performance is not indicative of future results". It is not easy, maintaining that balance, as a play caller. Bottom line results dictate fan opinions, but we can't get carried away with that. Like Polian said "if you listen to the fans too much, you will be sitting with them :)"

That is why I don't feel like being too hard on Steichen for this.

14 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

there were a few big drops, for sure. But more bad than good from Minshew in my eyes. Can’t imagine I’m alone in that. Several throws that didn’t even have a chance. 

How many times did he throw a pass out of bounds? 

• Like 2

Just now, cbear said:

Steichen said that? That if JT was in the game, he wouldn't have been open? 

no he said that Goodson was the pass catcher in that specific play they had practiced. They wouldn’t have ran that play with JT, and had they done so, he would have been keyed on, putting the decision even more in Minshew’s hands… the play was there and it was dropped. Hindsight is funny. Everyone is a genius with it.

Just now, Superman said:

I don’t know. But several. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

now you are just making stuff up to try and justify your point. What drop issues are you talking about? 7 targets 6 receptions this year. 

if it wasn’t the only reason they lost then it can’t be why they lost. That’s very contradicting. Has he made the catch, they still have to score the touchdown and kick the extra point/keep them from scoring again. It’s not why they lost, but it was the end of the game. 

He most definitely had a big drop in the Atlanta game.  

no game is lost on a single play there are always things you can back and go if this happened or that happened it would have different but trying to pretend that you didn’t lose because you failed to convert 4th and 1 on your last position is just flat nonsense.  

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah I am not even going to try to pretend that Minshew played well tonight.  He was bad.  Part of the reason I didn’t like putting the season in his hands at the end.  

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No I didn't. 

I might have been critical of Reich calling plays that didn't work. I didn't criticize Reich for calling plays that did work. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Yeah but if it works the next time, should he just call plays based on the size of the contract, which is proportional to the playmakers valued on a squad, or should he be quick to adapt with a player that is more of the utility kind? 

Most investors say "past performance is not indicative of future results". It is not easy, maintaining that balance, as a play caller. Bottom line results dictate fan opinions, but we can't get carried away with that. Like Polian said "if you listen to the fans too much, you will be sitting with them :)"

Well, I suppose in my head that if I have to get a certain surgery I’d want the absolute best qualified proven doctor performing it. I realize this isn’t life or death but what I’m saying is in this moment when everything is on the line I want the absolute best player available to succeed. I’d call a play using my top players and put it in their hands because they’ve proven to be capable and reliable in realtime situations not just practice situations. I think they could have just as easily schemed a play up for one of the top three playmakers as they did for Goodson. But again, just my opinion. 

He most definitely had a big drop in the Atlanta game.  

no game is lost on a single play there are always things you can back and go if this happened or that happened it would have different but trying to pretend that you didn’t lose because you failed to convert 4th and 1 on your last position is just flat nonsense.  

pretending that a wide open dropped pass was a bad play call by the coach and the reason we lost versus the 10 failed third down conversions is also nonsense. 

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

No I didn't. 

I might have been critical of Reich calling plays that didn't work. I didn't criticize Reich for calling plays that did work. 

Did the Colts get the first down?  Then it didn’t work.

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I think that’s what most that don’t understand why people were upset with play call are missing.  They weren’t upset with a throw to a running back in that situation.  It’s using a rookie off the practice squad who has had drop issues and hadn’t played all night.  That’s too much pressure to put on a kid in that situation and it failed.  

Honestly, I would be a bit disappointed in Steichen if after some time has passed, he still thought it was the right decision. But I think he will learn and grow from this. Next time, I think he will give more weight to the situation at hand rather them just going by what the book says (even if it's his book). That's called in-game adjustments. 

Had this been a different situation, different point in the game, an earlier game maybe, or if the kid had run this play more often, it would be a different story. But imo, he shouldnt have been put in that situation. 

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

pretending that a wide open dropped pass was a bad play call by the coach and the reason we lost versus the 10 failed third down conversions is also nonsense. 

When did I say that?  Oh wait I didn’t.  I just said you can’t ignore that the Colts failed to convert on 4th and 1 on their last offensive drive and act like that’s not why they lost the game.  In fact I said it wasn’t the only reason they lost.

The play at end was a little cutesy for my liking but the players should have completed it. They are paid more than doctors for goodness sake and can’t make a simple pitch and catch.  

Also, I got to say, we better pay Pittman whatever he wants to stay because if we lose him we are looking at a 5 win team. I would love for us to get a game changing TE, or ball hawk safety.  We def need to fix our coverages. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

No I didn't. 

Nope they did. Sometimes a call I’d good but to the wrong player.

Hopefully colts don’t take too long to make a decision on Bradley. 

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Did the Colts get the first down?  Then it didn’t work.

The play absolutely worked.

It's interesting how "in your face" you're being with everyone about this, especially when you keep saying there's no point in repeating yourself. You're on the record friend. 

Just now, Superman said:

The play absolutely worked.

It's interesting how "in your face" you're being with everyone about this, especially when you keep saying there's no point in repeating yourself. You're on the record friend. 

Did it get the first down?  Then no it didn’t.  You might have liked play call but that alone doesn’t mean it worked because execution did not.

When did I say that?  Oh wait I didn’t.  I just said you can’t ignore that the Colts failed to convert on 4th and 1 on their last offensive drive and act like that’s not why they lost the game.  In fact I said it wasn’t the only reason they lost.

lol. Please re-read what you just wrote.

“you can’t act like that’s not why they lost the game.”

followed by

“I said it wasn’t the only reason they lost.”

im not sure it can both man. I’m not sure.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Did it get the first down?  Then no it didn’t.  You might have liked play call but that alone doesn’t mean it worked because execution did not.

play call and execution are not mutually exclusive. Andy Reid has dialed up plenty of perfect play calls- and executed perfectly by his star qb only to be dropped by kadarius toney. They aren’t failed play calls. They are drops by a professional football player. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

no he said that Goodson was the pass catcher in that specific play they had practiced. They wouldn’t have ran that play with JT, and had they done so, he would have been keyed on, putting the decision even more in Minshew’s hands… the play was there and it was dropped. Hindsight is funny. Everyone is a genius with it.

I don’t know. But several. 

So basically, he said the plan was to sneak him open because nobody thought he'd be thrown the ball? But JT would have been covered since he's JT? Got to think about that. Either he's a genius (because the guy was wide open) or he out thought himself. Interesting though.