Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shaq Leonard blasts the colts

Restinpeacesweetchloe

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

They benched him for his play?!?! I disagree with your statement the organization did not assess his substandard play. They were going to deactivate him!

I didn't say that the organization didn't assess Leonard's play, I was pointing out that while fans here in message boards were slamming his play because he had obviously lost a step (heck, yesterday he got his 1st sack since Rivers was here!) but the organization never publicly critisized him as he asserted that they had.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep. Okereke looks great right now on the Giants. He was the guy to keep. Keeping Leonard over Okereke just makes the decision look that much worse. 

The Colts let Okereke walk because at the time, the financial cost to cutting Leonard was too great.   

Ballard talked about not being happy to let Okereke go at the time.   

And Leonard got his contract when he did because he was healthy enough at the time to deserve it.   You’re criticizing with the benefit of hindsight.  To let Leonard leave without getting a second contract would have been a monumental mistake.   Four Hall of Fane season and then no second contract?!?   The message it sends to the locker room is the exact wrong message.   It says the Colts will never reward you no matter what,  and that they will cut you if there is the slightest doubt.    By your logic, the Colts wouldn’t have signed Nelson to a second contract. 

Thank God you’re not a General Manager.  
You who called Ballard a “coward” for not making a silly trade deadline trade and you who once thought someone like you would eventually become a General Manager because they play silly on-line fantasy games.   

I haven’t agreed with a word you’ve written in this thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

He’s doing what he’s done all his career taking motivation from those that didn’t believe in him.  Also, he’s right the Colts did write him off, yes you can say they were justified to do so but they did.  That’s life in the NFL and frankly most players that feel their old team gave up on them use that as fuel at their next stop.  Nothing to see here IMO.

I totally agree on him being written off by the defensive staff, he was still our 2nd best LB behind Franklin and I still think he was better at coverage then Franklin. Bradley just has his favorites when it comes to players, we saw it with Facyson and him not liking to play Rodgers

• Like 1

Just now, Zoltan said:

I totally agree on him being written off by the defensive staff, he was still our 2nd best LB behind Franklin and I still think he was better at coverage then Franklin. Bradley just has his favorites when it comes to players, we saw it with Facyson and him not liking to play Rodgers

In fairness one of people’s big complaints about Leonard before he got hurt was his lack of coverage skills.  With that said I take no issue with that the Colts did in terms of cutting Shaq (although it surprised me) and I take no issue with what Leonard is saying now.  This happens most of the time when I high profile athlete ends up with a new team.  It’s not worth getting worked up about IMO (not that you are).  

• Like 3

One of the biggest assets to Leonard’s game were his ball hawking skills, which became nonexistent through the season. The dude was just always there to make a play on the ball pre-injury. maybe he needs longer to get back to himself, however nerve damage would stack the odds against you. 

the colts never publicly drug his name through the mud. If they did, it would have been reported. Even behind closed doors it would have gotten reported. I think they told him they don’t think he’s got it anymore, and to him, that would equate to dragging his precious name through the mud. He’s always been rather sensitive to anyone doubting his ability. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

In fairness one of people’s big complaints about Leonard before he got hurt was his lack of coverage skills.  With that said I take no issue with that the Colts did in terms of cutting Shaq (although it surprised me) and I take no issue with what Leonard is saying now.  This happens most of the time when I high profile athlete ends up with a new team.  It’s not worth getting worked up about IMO (not that you are).  

Yeah his cut surprised me as well and I actually think it was the front office doing the best thing for him, because he was getting frustrated and cutting him allowed him to go to a contender and get on the field. 

I do think he gets more hate on this forum then deserved

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Right. One of the contract mistakes Ballard has made. He had the injuries, and once Leonard got that big payout, he never was the same. Maybe it was the injuries? Or dare I say, the money? or both? I was then disappointed, when the decision was made to allow Bobby Okereke to leave in FA, in favor of keeping Leonard. Which now, looks like an even bigger mistake.

Might want to check the season he had after he signed the contract

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts let Okereke walk because at the time, the financial cost to cutting Leonard was too great.   

Ballard talked about not being happy to let Okereke go at the time.   

And Leonard got his contract when he did because he was healthy enough at the time to deserve it.   You’re criticizing with the benefit of hindsight.  To let Leonard leave without getting a second contract would have been a monumental mistake.   Four Hall of Fane season and then no second contract?!?   The message it sends to the locker room is the exact wrong message.   It says the Colts will never reward you no matter what,  and that they will cut you if there is the slightest doubt.    By your logic, the Colts wouldn’t have signed Nelson to a second contract. 

Thank God you’re not a General Manager.  
You who called Ballard a “coward” for not making a silly trade deadline trade and you who once thought someone like you would eventually become a General Manager because they play silly on-line fantasy games.   

I haven’t agreed with a word you’ve written in this thread. 

Sorry, but you are the definition of "appeal to authority" as a fan. You defend any authority figure to the bitter end until they get fired, and you are usually one of the last people on this forum to figure out that a coach or GM stinks until he gets fired or until there is news acknowledging his faults. You thought Reich was a top 10 coach months before he got fired and you were shocked when I didn't have him as a top 20 coach. 

You are doing the same with Ballard here. You are vastly overrating him as a GM. He has screwed up this team in so many ways it's not even funny. You are in complete denial about him, and you use your go-to in comparing me as a GM to him to try and badmouth me or prop him up. As if I would ever be the Colts GM in real-life. 

All Ballard had to do was choose Okereke above Leonard. No one would have blamed him. it's funny if you disagree with Ballard and you're wrong, you're an armchair GM or you're using hindsight. If Ballard is wrong, then there's no way he could have known better, even though he's the GM and he has all the information. No accountability among the "appeal to authority" crowd. 

Ballard doesn't have to follow any specific guidelines for all players. He's free to re-sign and not re-sign anyone he chooses. The top teams in the NFL get compensatory picks for their players all the time to replenish the draft picks and get cheap contracts. Something Ballard rarely accomplishes (you'd think he would considering the lack of high-priced free agents). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

You can’t honestly sit there and say some average Joe bad mouthing their old boss is the same as an NFL player talking to the press about how he was treated so poorly (despite there being no tangible evidence of that to the public). It’s a ridiculous comparison.

Whew… And here I thought the average Joe was the same as an NFL player. Man, what have I been thinking since I was a kid hearing people griping about their bosses and employers/former employers? Thanks for setting me straight here. My whole outlook on life has changed. 

You’re overthinking this and apparently NFL players can’t talk about situations when asked about them, especially when it involves a team they loved and wanted to spend their entire career with. 

Average Joe or NFL player. It doesn’t matter. Just because they make millions of $ doesn’t mean they don’t have feelings or don’t get upset about things. 

Leonard wanted to play. Gus didn’t play him enough in his mind. Gets released and scooped up by a team with a real shot to win the Super Bowl and immediately starts. Fans welcome him. Indy fans can’t shut up about him not playing to their expectations. 

Ex player voices his frustrations and is upset, fans of previous team can’t believe it. Some of y’all really are like an ex girlfriend here. 

12 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Whew… And here I thought the average Joe was the same as an NFL player. Man, what have I been thinking since I was a kid hearing people griping about their bosses and employers/former employers? Thanks for setting me straight here. My whole outlook on life has changed. 

You’re overthinking this and apparently NFL players can’t talk about situations when asked about them, especially when it involves a team they loved and wanted to spend their entire career with. 

Average Joe or NFL player. It doesn’t matter. Just because they make millions of $ doesn’t mean they don’t have feelings or don’t get upset about things. 

Leonard wanted to play. Gus didn’t play him enough in his mind. Gets released and scooped up by a team with a real shot to win the Super Bowl and immediately starts. Fans welcome him. Indy fans can’t shut up about him not playing to their expectations. 

Ex player voices his frustrations and is upset, fans of previous team can’t believe it. Some of y’all really are like an ex girlfriend here. 

All that snark and you missed the point entirely.

When average people complain about their boss, maybe 20 people hear it and forget about it within a few minutes. When an NFL makes that same comment to the media, tens of thousands hear it and it is then much less easily forgotten.

That was the point I was trying to make when saying comparing the two is ridiculous. Money had nothing to do with it. He made a comment that, to the fans, appears untrue and are now upset. You seriously can’t begrudge people that. 

12 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep. Okereke looks great right now on the Giants. He was the guy to keep. Keeping Leonard over Okereke just makes the decision look that much worse. 

I miss Bobby. He was a true middle linebacker. Zaire has had a good season, but I think Bobby was much better for the defense and for the future. 

Shaq is drama. He used the media to air his frustrations of playing time, when we could all see why he wasn’t out there on passing downs. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

the organization never publicly critisized him as he asserted that they had.

Hes talking about fans who definitely did do this.  He has always been the type of player to go out looking for criticism to the point of searching erywhere for it to motivate himself 

A lot of people are clapping back at him for this comment and that is what he wants, more motivation 

This dude goes out looking for haters to put quotes on his mirror 

2 hours ago, runthepost said:

Player gets cut, uses it as motivation, fans of player’s former team gets upset when player calls out former team. :scratch:

...but what does fans getting riled up accomplish? Nothing. Right? It is not like it is impacting the Colts' season now, on or off the field.

Leonard isn't calling out anyone specifically. The Colts never called him out specifically. We always heard from the mouth of Leonard that told us "they have been taking me off on 3rd downs, yada, yada, yada..." but the Colts, Steichen, even when asked, he never addressed it specifically. He just has to let his DC coach, and that is what he did. I guess the first love gives you the most hurt. He was loved by the Colts (organization and fans) first before anyone else. It is time for all of us to move on. :) 

Hmm,

I am still a fan of Mr. Leonard. :cheer2:

If he accepted a position with the 
team in my home state of AZ, I would have cut off all ties with him!:thmdown:

( I deleted the words to really express my feelings about this “ minor league -like”, “get lucky once in a while” team).:censored:

I still don’t understand why the Eagles started him in the linebacker position.:thinking:   

Once he injured his back, I realized that it would be hard getting back  to the way he played. :fear:

The time has come to think about retirement AND to bow out gracefully.

I will still wear my Colts shirts with his name and number but now, Mr. Franklin has earned my respect.:strong:

What has been the reaction of Eagles fans about Mr. Leonard joining the team?:dunno:

l blame no one because it’s business.

Maybe the higher up muckedy mucks

read a lot of our posts about Mr. Leonard…:thinking:

So, to Mr. Leonard

Thank you for your dedication to my Colts organization.

Just play the game and don’t be a complainer…it’s too late!

Go, Colts Fans!

IMG_2790.jpeg.221d272ae264d586b6c1d029ae14fc6f.jpeg

Meh. Formerly great player gets cut by his team, and uses it as motivation. Most professional athletes walk around with a giant chip on their shoulder anyway. I don't care about this one bit.

I actually wish the Colts had been more vocal about why they cut him. I'm frustrated by how little information we got about the decision.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Meh. Formerly great player gets cut by his team, and uses it as motivation. Most professional athletes walk around with a giant chip on their shoulder anyway. I don't care about this one bit.

I actually wish the Colts had been more vocal about why they cut him. I'm frustrated by how little information we got about the decision.

I am sure we will get more from Ballard when the season is over.

4 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Leonard wanted to play. Gus didn’t play him enough in his mind. Gets released and scooped up by a team with a real shot to win the Super Bowl and immediately starts. 

Shaq didn’t start immediately for Philadelphia, he had 1 tackle apiece in the losses at Dallas & Seattle, and the only reason he started against the Giants was because both Zach Cunningham & Nick Morrow were injured. Either one of them heals up and it's likely back to the bench for Leonard.

• Like 2

At the end of the day..... who really cares what Shaq thinks today.

I hope he will be successful in football and in more so in life.

If you watch his last 6 games at the Colts......  The guy was hurting the team

Let him be free and find what he needs to find

I appreciate the fun that he added to this team....... that time is done

18 hours ago, Colts.sb41 said:

I honestly think he’s barely a P.S. player at this point. He just always looks slow and a couple seconds behind the play. I think it’s really unfortunate because he used to be so good and I hope he gets back to his former self but I have my doubts.

Maybe he doesn't want to over pursue and prevent ball carrier from cutting back against the grain? :funny:

6 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I miss Bobby. He was a true middle linebacker. Zaire has had a good season, but I think Bobby was much better for the defense and for the future. 

Shaq is drama. He used the media to air his frustrations of playing time, when we could all see why he wasn’t out there on passing downs. 

Oke had a really good season as a WILL last year in Bradley's scheme. He has played very well for the NYG as a MIKE, but he never really showed that level of play as a MIKE in Indy.

So that would have been a tough call, and having Zaire already under contract made it tougher.

Now if Shaq was gone or off the books as of last offseason...then I think Ballard absolutely re-signs Oke to play WILL.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

It escalated so quickly, it feels like an HR situation. I get the impression they can't speak about it publicly.

But that is just my outside opinion based only on my own years of experience hiring and firing in corporate America.

18 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

You don't know what was said behind closed doors. You don't cut a player in their prime without saying or thinking some negative things about them. 

It’s business and reality.  Many production-based firms release people when they slow down - for any number of reasons.  It’s not “talking them down.”

1 hour ago, husker61 said:

and that was because the qb scrambled towards him while he was being blocked.

So true. People are talking about it like he made some huge play when he basically just walked into the sack because the PHI DL forced the QB right into him. At least that's how I remember it when it happened. He also made a TFL unblocked too. Somehow this is getting blown up into him having a great game.