Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Falcons post game reaction (Merge)

hambone35

Just now, coming on strong said:

we need weapons on offense i think our tight ends are really bad  outside of pittman the wrs are average .  downs has a chance to be good but he is not there yet .

Downs will be good but he’s a player that need other parts to make him good.  Downs strength is his ability to operate in space.  It’s ok to have Pittman on the outside and Downs eating up the middle.  But if we don’t have 2 other players who can push the safeties and line backers back (a dynamic TE and WR on the other side), then downs can’t operate.  The safeties are now playing close to the marker and the linebackers are occupying the middle.  

• Like 3

Alec Pierce is a total bust. Dropping the perfect third down pass when the game was still tied 7-7 was classic Pierce. Colts should have sucked it up and dumped him in the off season. Continuing to play a high draft choice is understandable as no one likes to admit expensive mistakes but hopefully they will get rid of him before next season,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

React if you wish

lines got owned

Bad tackling

Colts still don’t know what a screen is

Call Pittman what you want the Colts have to pay the man

Bradley’s defense refusing to cover the check down or check downs going for 15 yards on 3rd and long too. 

just wanted to add to your list

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

A total beat down. We couldn’t run the ball and they made Minshew look bad. No excuse for this. Amazing to think if we won and Jacksonville loses we could be leading the division today. Steichen dropped the ball and Bradley defense failed again.

I guess the Colts are very getting moved today for the holidays and they did it with a passion  

Texans lost. Jags could lose. What changes?

38 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Good

is there anything I can say good about this game? lol  I’m trying really hard but it’s really just meh

Pittmans Agent:  Pittman is going to get a BAG from us.  I’m predicting $22mill/yr depending on what happens with the market and salary cap.  This game showed we need him BIG TIME.

Bad 

OL:  we got punked.  As a unit they played bad but Freeland was getting his tail handed to him.  He needs the same offseason program that Raimann had.  

WRs:  We lack explosiveness on offense and it starts with the receivers.  Pittman isn’t the most explosive player but he’s dependable and open.  And today showed that we depend on him a lot, maybe too much.  Pierce is not it, I’m sorry.  Downs, he’s ok but he’s easy to nullify.  No one else is worth mentioning.  I’ve debated with people on here what our first pick or FA target should be this off-season and if this game doesn’t show you that we need an explosive WR then idk what else to tell you

Defense:  As a group they played but specifically the tackling and run defense.  Pass defense was ok but they tore us apart on the ground.  177 yards on the ground.  WOW!  

Side Note:  I like Pittman and I want us to bring him back and pay him, but he’s a gift and a curse.  He’s a great player for our offense but he IS our offense.  Shane and Ballard have to figure out a way to get us more weapons on offense and spread the ball around.  Our offense reminds me of a basketball team where there’s one player that takes all of the shots and when he’s shut down and has to give the ball to someone else, the other player can’t hit the shot because they’ve only shot the ball 5 times while the other player has shot the ball 30 times.  I do not like the amount of targets Pittman gets.  We have to get another (or maybe multiple players) that can take those targets away, but they also have to be PRODUCTIVE.  I didn’t feel good about this game because we were asking players who as a group gets targeted the same amount as ONE player to step up and replicate that production in one week.  And we don’t have the talent on offense that can do that.  

Minshew has his limitations.  I have more faith in the WRs we have than you.  Now, when AR is back, and it's the same story, then I might consider what you are saying.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Games like today and the bengals game are exactly why I can’t get excited about this team. They should be fighting for a top 5 pick not a playoff spot.

The fact that they are fighting for the later and not the former is exactly why you should be excited about them.  They have over achieved.  That’s a good thing.

Just now, compuls1v3 said:

Minshew has his limitations.  I have more faith in the WRs we have than you.  Now, when AR is back, and it's the same story, then I might consider what you are saying.

honestly, that’s fair.  A good QB can make wide receivers look better.  AR is more calm in the pocket, has a cannon, and honestly probably more accurate than Minshew.  Along with his ability to run, it may free up some space for our tight ends and downs to operate.  

Still think we need to improve this team if the chance is there.  If there is a game changing impact player available and we have the funds/draft capital to get him, then we need to do it.

• Like 1

Although the defense was dreadful today not having Pittman was HUGE. 

Call him a 1A if you want but he's 100% a #1 on this team.

Pierce isn't a star and we got nothing besides Pittman at WR. Hard to win when you can only run and Atl was shutting that down today.

• Like 1

Bradley’s defense plays so far off the ball. At least 6 times today they allowed their running backs to roll out they ran past then running towards the QB and left them alone for easy screens. So many time we over pursued and hardly any of or linebackers and defensive backs were not in position. A true indictment of Gus Bradley and antiquated defense just kills us. Sometimes they play well and then a game like today. Ballard needs a better more inventive DC in 2024

• Like 1

A few thoughts:

1 - Without Pittman, our receiving corps is nada.  Double Downs, and watch Pierce not catch anything.  Or simply have nobody get open.

2 - What's up with our vaunted OL and DL completely disappearing every other game?

3 - No sacks.  None.  It's like we weren't even rushing the passer.

4 - JT has got to stop running in place behind the offensive line, waiting for a wide-open hole so he can stretch and go long.  Hit the seam, and push the line.  Quit running in place.

5 - How come they kept slipping through our tacklers' hands?  Every single person on defense was wearing gloves.  Playing indoors.  Take the gloves off.  Get a grip on the guy and tackle him.  Take the !@#$ gloves off.

6 - Shades of 2021.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

A few thoughts:

1 - Without Pittman, our receiving corps is nada.  Double Downs, and watch Pierce not catch anything.  Or simply have nobody get open.

2 - What's up with our vaunted OL and DL completely disappearing every other game?

4 - JT has got to stop running in place behind the offensive line, waiting for a wide-open hole so he can stretch and go long.  Hit the seam, and push the line.  Quit running in place.

5 - How come they kept slipping through our tacklers' hands?  Every single person on defense was wearing gloves.  Playing indoors.  Take the gloves off.  Get a grip on the guy and tackle him.  Take the !@#$ gloves off.

6 - Shades of 2021.

I wouldn’t read to much into the WR when you have a backup QB who doesn’t throw downfield and the pass protection was bad today. 

• Like 2

I did not see the game due to my refusal to pay the NFL for all the ways to watch these days. So, being a fan, I look through the post game chatter to see what went right or wrong. What I gather from this forum is when the Colts win, all is good and they are playoff bound. When they loose, they really suck.

My take after reading today's comments is the Colts lack the talent at many positions to compete consistently week in and week out. Get owned by the Bengals, beat the Steelers then look  this bad against the Falcons. Maybe the Colts have had a soft schedule and never should have 8 wins to begin with.

First thing - the offensive line is not worth the money spent. Big q has a bad back. he is done .they need to retool.

Second thing - you can't run and pass with the line they have.

Third - one poster mentioned "all the players on both sides of the ball look or play the same", there are no exceptional players on the roster.

The franchise QB is not on the roster at this time. The Colts will be drafting 15 - 20 this next year. Ballard will be trading back for more picks and there will be no money spent on free agency. Richardson will be running for his life for the next 4 or 5 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That Atlanta team has players.  Their defense is good and they have a couple of playmakers.  They are missing a quarterback.  Their coach had his team prepared and he out coached Steichen.  I would think he should keep his job after his teams performance today.  Steichen didn’t have his team ready for the Bengals and Falcons.  Not even competitive.  He’s supposed to be an offensive guru so to speak.  But his play calling has suddenly gone sour.  I thought he was pretty predictable today.  Hopefully Smith returns this Week.  We’ve been missing him for weeks.  Freeland should be on the bench.  If Smith can’t go I’m hoping we give Jared a chance.  I can’t imagine he would do worse.  We still have a chance but we need all of our starters back.  Otherwise it’s going to be a uphill struggle.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

feels like 2021 all over again

Eerily similar, including the next to last game being at home vs Raiders. I'll be heading to Indy for the game this week, just like I did in 2021. Hope it turns out better this time around.

• Like 2

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

Taylor was a disappointment. Maybe we should have ran sermon and Goodson instead!

Falcons were selling out against the run, granted we should of been able to do better but it didn’t make it easier when their defensive philosophy was “we are gonna make you have to beat us throwing the ball”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Zoltan said:

Falcons were selling out against the run, granted we should of been able to do better but it didn’t make it easier when their defensive philosophy was “we are gonna make you have to beat us throwing the ball”

I can’t wait to get Richardson back next year. Having a guy that can throw deep is going to open up everything.

• Like 2

Just now, Zoltan said:

Selling out v the run and still collapsing the pocket. Tough combo to beat with WR #1 out and a backup QB.

27 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

A few thoughts:

6 - Shades of 2021.

Exactly, Taylor was off today and yes he was tentative. I liked the pick we used on Pierce and I give the benefit of being young. However cannot count on him when needed. They let Pierce loose and just added a safety on Downs 

Minshew held the ball extremely long but since their defense was taking it all away.

We made a bad team look good today and we can’t have these games and want to succeed. We need another quality receiver and defense back next season 

No sacks today lol it was a very lazy output  by our rush attack

i hope the team takes steps to get rid of players that don’t give it all every play 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

Alec Pierce is a total bust. Dropping the perfect third down pass when the game was still tied 7-7 was classic Pierce. Colts should have sucked it up and dumped him in the off season. Continuing to play a high draft choice is understandable as no one likes to admit expensive mistakes but hopefully they will get rid of him before next season,

ballards ego may not let him go

• Like 3

1 minute ago, smittywerb said:

Ain’t gonna mean jack if we don’t have a player that can get open past the sticks.

The key is the QB being available. AR showed he could throw down the seams to Downs and Ogletree enough to build upon next year, IMO

Not saying he’s the same as Mahomes but if you get a guy that is challenged as a rookie and has a speedster like Tyreek drafted, and they dare him to throw, you make them pay till they put their safeties back.

When Steichen got A J Brown to go with DeVonta Smith and Goedert in the middle, he went to town. Give him some groceries. Even the best play caller needs groceries. :) 

• Like 7