Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Falcons post game reaction (Merge)

hambone35

I think what drove me craziest on the defensive side and has been a theme for this defense is the decision to never cover the check down RB, and the inability to cover screens. It seems I'm more nervous when it is 3rd and long than when the defense is 3rd and short, because like we saw with how much cushion we give they will dump the ball off to a RB like Robinson and they will gain 14 yards or one of Smith's more creative play of the creative screen to Patterson for a first on the 3rd and 14. 

Arthur Smith knows our defense and knew how to beat it, a lot of check downs, screens for short gains and then attack our LBs in coverage for big gains.

As for the offense: Pierce is done in my book, he has to many drops and for a starting WR who hasn't missed a game or been injured 31 catches for 456 yards is not acceptable. When two TEs led the team in receiving, thats when you know you have a talent problem at WR.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He is still our franchise QB right now. Doesn’t even matter how long he has played.

Being the starter is not the samething as a franchise QB.  Franchise QBs are viewed by many as the elite QBs in the NFL you know you can build a team around.  It’s a level beyond a starter.  Example when guys like Rivers and Harbaugh were here they were a starting QB.  Peyton Manning was a franchise QB.  Same with Andrew Luck.  Richardson needs to prove he can get to that level.  Again, what you saw this year gives you hope but he has to prove first he can stay healthy and then prove he can maintain it.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Being the starter is not the samething as a franchise QB.  Franchise QBs are viewed by many as the elite QBs in the NFL you know you can build a team around.  It’s a level beyond a starter.  Example when guys like Rivers and Harbaugh were here they were a starting QB.  Peyton Manning was a franchise QB.  Same with Andrew Luck.  Richardson needs to prove he can get to that level.  Again, what you saw this year gives you hope but he has to prove first he can stay healthy and then prove he can maintain it.  

Look we drafted him to be the franchise. When your missing the guy you drafted at 4 to be that guy your going to be average.  You saying the same thing about stroud?

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Look we drafted him to be the franchise. When your missing the guy you drafted at 4 to be that guy your going to be average. 

I am not disputing that, neither was the person who told you he’s not a franchise QB yet.  We are telling you because he is missing he’s not a franchise QB yet.  The Colts hope he will be and we saw some good stuff this year but we didn’t see it long enough to know for a fact he’s a franchise QB.  That’s completely different from the fact him not being there has had a major impact on how the season has gone.

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Curious if some of you are saying the same thing about stroud. With your logic one season doesn’t make him the franchise Qb.

Stroud hasn’t missed the vast majority of the season and has proven he can do it beyond a four of five game stretch where the other teams don’t have a lot of tape on you and haven’t had a chance to figure you out yet.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Again going by your logic he can’t be the franchise yet. That should not matter. 

That’s not my logic,  show me one time where I said you can’t prove you are franchise QB in one season.  Richardson doesn’t have a season he has four games.  That’s not enough to know if anyone is a franchise anything or not.

A franchise QB by definition is a QB who is going to be with the franchise for a very long time usually long past his rookie contract. Upwards of 10 years. Manning, Brady, Rogers, Mahomes etc etc. Neither Stroud nor AR has proven shi* yet. Stroud much more than AR because of availability, Neither will be anointed as franchise QB's till its proven they can play at a very high level consistently and are worth a mega contract beyond their rookie deal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Some of you want to be little what Richardson showed in his little time and it’s crazy to me. You all act like he sucked and didn’t show anything. Chances are he would have been up for rookie of the year without his injury. 

No one is belittling him.  I know I keep saying what he showed gives you hope because it was good.  I am just saying he needs to prove he can do it for an extended period of time while staying healthy.  

You can only deal with what has played out on the field.

We forget how it took Peyton 9 years to make a SB and win one. The rookie contract has actually changed a lot of that. Here’s to hoping Ballard, who’s working with a rookie contract QB for the first time, gives Steichen some good defensive FAs and offensive draft picks to boost AR’s productivity and increase the margin of error with defensive support.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

A franchise QB by definition is a QB who is going to be with the franchise for a very long time usually long past his rookie contract. Upwards of 10 years. Manning, Brady, Rogers, Mahomes etc etc. Neither Stroud nor AR has proven shi* yet. Stroud much more than AR because of availability, Neither will be anointed as franchise QB's till its proven they can play at a very high level consistently and are worth a mega contract beyond their rookie deal.

Thank you. I am ok with people saying that about Richardson but then they turn around and want to crown stroud. For some reason this forum has posters who really want to minimize what Richardson did in the time he played.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

My point the entire time was when your missing the guy you drafted at four your team is not going to be as good as they are with him.

That a lone is a true statement.  That’s not what people are disagreeing with you about.  

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Thank you. I am ok with people saying that about Richardson but then they turn around and want to crown stroud. For some reason this forum has posters who really want to minimize what Richardson did in the time he played.

Saying I want to see him stay healthy and prove he can keep doing it over the long haul is not minimizing what he did.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Every rookie needs 2 to 3 years to show if they can sustain a high consistent level of play to give you a chance in every game thus earning a franchise QB moniker. That’s why they have the 5th year option because putting together winning teams is slightly easier than hitting on a franchise QB.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Every rookie needs 2 to 3 years to show if they can sustain a high consistent level of play to give you a chance in every game thus earning a franchise QB moniker. That’s why they have the 5th year option because getting winning teams is slightly easier than hitting on a franchise QB.

I just wish people were more intellectually honest. Don’t  go crowning stroud when he is also a rookie. Same thing can be said another Texans as the colts. Their schedule has been easy. What happens when stroud plays tougher teams. It’s ok to say how good Richardson looked when he played. You don’t have to minimize it with he barely played.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I just wish people were more intellectually honest. Don’t  go crowning stroud when he is also a rookie. Same thing can be said another Texans as the colts. Their schedule has been easy. What happens when stroud plays tougher teams. It’s ok to say how good Richardson looked when he played. You don’t have to minimize it with he barely played.

So you don’t want people to state facts if they don’t support good things got it.  Both can be and are true.  When Richardson played he looked really good and gives you reason to hope he can be the long term answer.  However, he didn’t play enough to know for a fact that’s the player he’s going to be or not.  

As for Stroud no I am not ready to say he’s not the next Patrick Mahomes but there is no denying he’s proved over the course of a season he’s got a chance and that’s it not a fluke.  I think even you will admit you feel a lot better about what Stroud has done this year than Young who has played virtually all year but has shown very little.  That’s why playing matters it answers questions.  

Due to Richardson missing all that time those questions remain rather you like it or not.  It’s not people trying to take away from what Richardson did.  It’s just people saying we didn’t see enough of it and what did see raised another huge question, can he stay healthy?  He could be the greatest QB in the history of football but that doesn’t matter if he can’t stay healthy.  Fact is he only played in four games, only played beyond halftime in two of them and only finished one of them.  He had multiple injury issues beyond one hard hit in the Titans game that you could just dismiss to well that’s football.  Someone else documented his injury problems back at Florida.  There is a very real reason to be concerned about his injuries.  Ignoring that is ignoring the giant elephant in the room.

Again, he looked really good in the limited time we saw him but the fact is it was limited time and that in itself is concerning.  

if you were to grade rookie seasons I think personally Stroud would get an A, Levis a C, Young a D if not a F and Richardson would get an incomplete because his season was just that incomplete.  An incomplete does not mean he didn’t play well when he played it just means he didn’t play enough.  You can still say, and be right, when he did play he was right up there with Stroud.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U know what is funny? Atlanta puts a premium on drafting skill players, and Ballard empathize building the trenches. Hmmmmm. I'm not saying Atlanta's way of building is better, but it just shows up Ballard's poor drafting.

people keep talking about all the top players Atlanta has and the colts don’t. What’s atlantas record? It must be way better than the colts, right?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

At this point, if we don't win our next two and make the playoffs, I think it's fair that there should be talk that Ballard gets fired. The only downside is Steichen just got hired as the coach, and AR hasn't had a year as the QB yet, so that will probably save him. It'll be unpopular, but I don't care. The Colts have been exposed and it's Ballard who built this team. Without Pittman, the offense is trash. 

Dear God….

You just can’t help yourself…..   :facepalm:

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U know what is funny? Atlanta puts a premium on drafting skill players, and Ballard empathize building the trenches. Hmmmmm. I'm not saying Atlanta's way of building is better, but it just shows up Ballard's poor drafting.

Do you know who else puts a premium on the lines?    Philadelphia.   Kansas City does too?    How have they worked out?   I can list more but you should get that point.   

Not a surprise to see you post today.   You’re happiest when the Volts lose badly.  You feel it gives you license to gloat.  “I told you so” is a big part of your vocabulary here.    Enjoy!   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

What is funny, and many here probably don't see it. is how Arthur Smith uses his RBs compared to how the Colts coaches use JT.

Tyler Allgeier burned us on a 25 yard TD run from an outside pitch play.  I've never seen ATL run that play with Allgeier....ever.....its usually Robinson.  

They actually called a to-the-boundary pitch play for their inside runner RB...and it went for 25 yards, untouched TD.  I've never seen Frank or Shane call that kind of a pitch to JT, or, have the sense that JT could remotely turn the corner as effectively as even Allgeier.   And then there is Bijan, who is probably the best open field runner in the NFL...but people don't know that yet.

JT...run to the pile, and hope their is a crease by the time he gets there.  (Then blame failure on the Oline)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

What's also funny is that for a GM who seems to value interior positions over edge/boundary positions, our LBers and Ss may be the least talented group of players.. Even Pittman and Downs elevate the WR talent. .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Snap counts

Thanks for posting,

I am a little surprised with so much 11 personnel/3 WRs especially with MPJ being out.  I think that perhaps they were anticipating having him available as the week progressed but being such a late week scratch screwed up what they would have done if they knew/were planning on him being out.   

I would have liked to have seen more snaps for Granson and Mallory considering it seemed that they were probably the Colts most effective receiving threats yesterday.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SR711 said:

Thanks for posting,

I am a little surprised with so much 11 personnel/3 WRs especially with MPJ being out.  I think that perhaps they were anticipating having him available as the week progressed but being such a late week scratch screwed up what they would have done if they knew/were planning on him being out.   

I would have liked to have seen more snaps for Granson and Mallory considering it seemed that they were probably the Colts most effective receiving threats yesterday.  

I agree 

I think their game plan got a big wrench thrown in it once Pittman was ruled out last minute.

Would of liked to see a little better adjustment, but it's over with, can only look forward.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

What is funny, and many here probably don't see it. is how Arthur Smith uses his RBs compared to how the Colts coaches use JT.

Tyler Allgeier burned us on a 25 yard TD run from an outside pitch play.  I've never seen ATL run that play with Allgeier....ever.....its usually Robinson.  

They actually called a to-the-boundary pitch play for their inside runner RB...and it went for 25 yards, untouched TD.  I've never seen Frank or Shane call that kind of a pitch to JT, or, have the sense that JT could remotely turn the corner as effectively as even Allgeier.   And then there is Bijan, who is probably the best open field runner in the NFL...but people don't know that yet.

JT...run to the pile, and hope their is a crease by the time he gets there.  (Then blame failure on the Oline)

It's so nice to see that his new contract has paid dividends for the Colts. Like I said, the Colts should have waited.

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Do u hear what u r saying? U were expecting 3 to 5 wins so shouldn't that tell yourself what u think of the talent accumulated by Ballard? Now that he has gotten 8 wins, he is forgiven? The schedule is one of the easiest  I  have ever seen. Dud qb week after week. 

Odd we don't see you after wins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Honestly, I think you’re putting too much stock in Richardson. I think the jury is still out on the guy.

Isn't "the jury still out on" everyone? Why is the jury still out on Richardson and not the others?

It seems that a large percentage of Colts fans don't want other Colts fans to be hopeful and optimistic about Richardson. Yet those same fans are putting other teams' quarterbacks on a pedestal as of they have proven something that Richardson has not. All the rookie QBs except Bryce Young (and maybe O'Connell) have suffered injuries and missed time. Richardson's injury is more severe but that does not mean he cannot have a great career. Most likely none are making the playoffs this year. Those teams were picking high for a reason. Check out the standings. All the teams vying for a playoff spot have veteran QBs (not rookies). The Texans are still in contention but no one knows when their rookie QB will be back. So, the jury is out on all the rookie QBs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

At this point, if we don't win our next two and make the playoffs, I think it's fair that there should be talk that Ballard gets fired. The only downside is Steichen just got hired as the coach, and AR hasn't had a year as the QB yet, so that will probably save him. It'll be unpopular, but I don't care. The Colts have been exposed and it's Ballard who built this team. Without Pittman, the offense is trash. 

homer simpson fire GIF

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Isn't "the jury still out on" everyone? Why is the jury still out on Richardson and not the others?

It seems that a large percentage of Colts fans don't want other Colts fans to be hopeful and optimistic about Richardson. Yet those same fans are putting other teams' quarterbacks on a pedestal as of they have proven something that Richardson has not. All the rookie QBs except Bryce Young (and maybe O'Connell) have suffered injuries and missed time. Richardson's injury is more severe but that does not mean he cannot have a great career. Most likely none are making the playoffs this year. Those teams were picking high for a reason. Check out the standings. All the teams vying for a playoff spot have veteran QBs (not rookies). The Texans are still in contention but no one knows when their rookie QB will be back. So, the jury is out on all the rookie QBs.

Been saying the same thing for weeks.