Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Falcons post game reaction (Merge)

hambone35

The way the Falcons were shutting down our running game, one would think, Steichen would have tried a few runs from under center? Instead, he ran countless times from the shotgun, to no avail.

Our handoffs all look like draw plays, with the back getting the ball 7 yards deep.

Taylor struggled badly, but man, our running play designs are hard to watch. The one time I noticed Minshew did go under center, was that awful trick play, which failed miserably.

I know Steichen spends a lot of time studying film...

Maybe he should go back and watch some old tape of Bo Schembechler.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

The way the Falcons were shutting down our running game, one would think, Steichen would have tried a few runs from under center? Instead, he ran countless times from the shotgun, to no avail.

Our handoffs all look like draw plays, with the back getting the ball 7 yards deep.

Taylor struggled badly, but man, our running play designs are hard to watch. The one time I noticed Minshew did go under center, was that awful trick play, which failed miserably.

Less RPO would help. Look what happened against Steelers. We just straight out run. No rpo.

Just now, NFLfan said:

27-0 now.

30-0

• Like 2

Offense:

• Someone else already said this, but this game just made Pittman a whole lot of money. The Falcons D played very much like the Jaguars D does: base defense, rushing 4 for the most part, and committing to the Run D on each play. This worked very well against the Colts earlier this year, but it was waning down due to Pittman stepping up and being a great YAC option for Minshew, which forced defenses to respect the pass game more. With Pittman being out, the Falcons essentially tee'd off on stacking the run game.
  • This felt like the worst game Nelson had this year. He was pretty bad. So was the rest of the OL. I think that when the opposing defense fully commits to the run game and stack the box, this OL starts to suffer. And it's easier for the opposing D's to do this if Pittman isn't playing. Back in 2021, they were playing at a different level that allowed them to beat those heavy boxes, but I don't think they can do that much anymore unfortunately. They can still be pretty good though if they run a balanced offense, which should be the case anyways. The run option coming from AR will help counter this too.
  • This game made me lose a lot of hope that Pierce can ever become a consistent weapon going forward. If Pittman being out didn't open up the opportunities for Pierce then I'm not sure what will. He's a good distraction and run blocker, but an NFL team should strive to have at least two game in and game out productive receivers on the team imo. Maybe that changes once AR comes back and more plays go Pierce's way given AR's stronger arm/playmaking abilities.

Defense:

• Speed and Franklin had a lot of hype from our fanbase earlier this year (especially when comparing them to the injured Shaq), but this game exposed the LB group's weakness. The Falcons OL was able to neutralize them completely in the run game and the middle of the field got picked on all game. With Shaq gone, I would hope that Ballard adds some decent draft investments in that spot next year. Only re-sign Franklin for a reasonable contract.
  • Kenny Moore was also abused in the Run D/screens as they ran a bunch of heavy formations towards him, but I imagine this happens to most teams with slot CBs. The LBs should be good enough to help with those mismatches.
  • They made way too many untimely penalties today.
  • I'm not very pro or anti Bradley. I do think the talent level on the D isn't where it needs to be yet, but there is a lot of things that this Defense does well despite the lack of investment. If Steichen wants another kind of defensive scheme, I'd be fine with the Colts getting another DC, but I also wouldn't mind Bradley staying next year with an upgraded squad. I think a lot of the issues currently going on with the offense will be corrected once Richardson returns.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I agree. I might be wrong on this, but it feels that Taylor breaks his biggest plays from under center.  The RPO plays they run out of shotgun are most valuable if the QB is also a threat to run it and break a huge play, which would be the case if AR was playing. It forces an edge defender to choose between AR or JT on these kinds of plays .No so much with Minshew, so why not mix in runs under center in these cases?

• Like 3

So, got home from a nice day of family/Christmas fun and "hygge". Was hoping the Colts might have turned it around, but the score and comments here suggest it was a crapshoot. Not even sure I wanted to watch it, lol, but I went for it anyway. Shouldn’t have.

I think it’s pretty clear we need offensive talent. I don’t think we have anything besides Pittman at this point, but Pittman isn’t explosive. He lets us move the chains, but the big plays are limited. Pierce isn’t it. No one stepped up when we needed them to. Downs is good, but he needs people around him. Some of it is QB related of course, but it’d be nice to see our players helping out the QB instead everything being about the QB.

When the QB isn’t a threat, the RPO isn’t a threat. I don’t care if it’s JT running, it’s not a threat.

We either need to scheme up outside the tackles run plays or we need a RB who sees that as an option – when [Insert RB] up the gut doesn’t work we have no run game. We need an answer when the Oline doesn’t get it done. A healthy AR running will help, but our current players on the field aren’t getting it done when it matters.

I remember the announcers in the Steelers-Bengals game at a Browning INT said something like the defense disguised what they were doing and Browning thought it was Man coverage but it was Zone. How often has that been said under Bradley (or Eberflus for the matter)? Ours is such a vanilla defensive scheme and the defensive playcalling just isn’t NFL level in my opinion.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

So, got home from a nice day of family/Christmas fun and "hygge". Was hoping the Colts might have turned it around, but the score and comments here suggest it was a crapshoot. Not even sure I wanted to watch it, lol, but I went for it anyway. Shouldn’t have.

I think it’s pretty clear we need offensive talent. I don’t think we have anything besides Pittman at this point, but Pittman isn’t explosive. He lets us move the chains, but the big plays are limited. Pierce isn’t it. No one stepped up when we needed them to. Downs is good, but he needs people around him. Some of it is QB related of course, but it’d be nice to see our players helping out the QB instead everything being about the QB.

When the QB isn’t a threat, the RPO isn’t a threat. I don’t care if it’s JT running, it’s not a threat.

We either need to scheme up outside the tackles run plays or we need a RB who sees that as an option – when [Insert RB] up the gut doesn’t work we have no run game. We need an answer when the Oline doesn’t get it done. A healthy AR running will help, but our current players on the field aren’t getting it done when it matters.

I remember the announcers in the Steelers-Bengals game at a Browning INT said something like the defense disguised what they were doing and Browning thought it was Man coverage but it was Zone. How often has that been said under Bradley (or Eberflus for the matter)? Ours is such a vanilla defensive scheme and the defensive playcalling just isn’t NFL level in my opinion.

I think this all comes down to the QB. Richardson like every franchise QB makes the players better. What is so maddening about Richardsons injury is we didn’t get to see what he looks like with the weapons we have. We still have not got much of a answer with Minshew at QB.

33 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The key is the QB being available. AR showed he could throw down the seams to Downs and Ogletree enough to build upon next year, IMO

Not saying he’s the same as Mahomes but if you get a guy that is challenged as a rookie and has a speedster like Tyreek drafted, and they dare him to throw, you make them pay till they put their safeties back.

When Steichen got A J Brown to go with DeVonta Smith and Goedert in the middle, he went to town. Give him some groceries. Even the best play caller needs groceries. :) 

shane will not be happy if ballard starts next season with no elite wrs

• Like 3

It’s amazing how much QB play can change how a team looks. Just think about how much we have to look forward to next season. I wouldn’t even blame Minshew at this point, we know who he is, and so does he. He’s going to play good enough to win some games, and then he will play bad other games. He’s playing exactly how you’d expect a good backup to play. Which is good enough to win you a few games but not enough to carry a team in playoffs. 

I also think you will see a lot of moves made in the off-season. Both to the coaching staff and player wise. Steichen has had a season to evaluate everything and knows where changes need to be made for the future to make his system work. Trust the process, the future is bright! Move on to next week and try to get into the playoffs to get everyone some playoff experience for the future. 

• Like 2

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think this all comes down to the QB. Richardson like every franchise QB makes the players better. What is so maddening about Richardsons injury is we didn’t get to see what he looks like with the weapons we have. We still have not got much of a answer with Minshew at QB.

I think you are putting A LOT on AR too soon. I think he's shown a lot of promise and done a lot of the right things. But if you think we're immediately contenders week1 next season I think you're kidding yourself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, colts89 said:

I agree. I might be wrong on this, but it feels that Taylor breaks his biggest plays from under center.  The RPO plays they run out of shotgun are most valuable if the QB is also a threat to run it and break a huge play, which would be the case if AR was playing. It forces an edge defender to choose between AR or JT on these kinds of plays .No so much with Minshew, so why not mix in runs under center in these cases?

also, the "play action" pass is much more effective from the under center formation

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think you are putting A LOT on AR too soon. I think he's shown a lot of promise and done a lot of the right things. But if you think we're immediately contenders week1 next season I think you're kidding yourself.

Nope. When you can throw deep it opens everything up. Go look how open everyone was with Richardson at QB. Look how much stroud has made his weapons better in Houston. A franchise QB makes a huge difference. Not saying we can’t use another play maker. Because we can. I just think Minshew is a backup and doesn’t elevate anyone.

12 minutes ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

It’s amazing how much QB play can change how a team looks. Just think about how much we have to look forward to next season. I wouldn’t even blame Minshew at this point, we know who he is, and so does he. He’s going to play good enough to win some games, and then he will play bad other games. He’s playing exactly how you’d expect a good backup to play. Which is good enough to win you a few games but not enough to carry a team in playoffs. 

I also think you will see a lot of moves made in the off-season. Both to the coaching staff and player wise. Steichen has had a season to evaluate everything and knows where changes need to be made for the future to make his system work. Trust the process, the future is bright! Move on to next week and try to get into the playoffs to get everyone some playoff experience for the future. 

100% 

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Nope. When you can throw deep it opens everything up. Go look how open everyone was with Richardson at QB. Look how much stroud has made his weapons better in Houston. A franchise QB makes a huge difference. Not saying we can’t use another play maker. Because we can. I just think Minshew is a backup and doesn’t elevate anyone.

I'm not disputing AR CAN be a better QB for us. But you're acting like we're contenders when we get to week 1 next season and you're completely ignoring that AR needs to improve as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Pitt and smith don’t play Sunday colts are going to lose.

Any player you take in the first is going to be a game changer. Plus there is going to be a lot of quarterbacks go in the top ten.

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Unless your picking in the top 5 your not going to get some elite player. It doesn’t matter if we are picking 15 or 22.

Colds highest paid players client show up today.

Lolwut?

32 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

shane will not be happy if ballard starts next season with no elite wrs

The easiest way to get a WR 1 is FA or trade for one.  I wouldn’t mind stealing Ridley from the Jags if he makes it to FA.  Drafting one only guarantees us a rookie WR.  Just like Pierce and Pittman and Downs were at one time.  Nothing guaranteed.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We have a chance at ten wins with a backup QB and a ton of injuries in the secondary. This team will flat out be better next year.

IF AR can stay healthy,I agree.  But that's yet to be determined.  I am very excited to see our O with AR next year though.  Regarding this game, I was so disappointed because we controlled out own destiny.  After emotions subsided, I'm still thrilled with our wins thus far.  We're playing with house money with Minshew at the helm.  I'm still tired of our defensive scheme, talent or not.  Curious for this off-season for sure.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We have a chance at ten wins with a backup QB and a ton of injuries in the secondary. This team will flat out be better next year.

Our schedule will be a lot more difficult next season. And AR still needs playing time. We have injuries in our secondary - no doubt - but it's not like we're getting back a bunch of elite players. We're talking regular starters here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twfish said:

Bradley is so damn perplexing. One game he will adjust and call a hell of a game, the next he can’t make simple adjustments and lets us get boat raced 

Bradley is the weakest link on this team. Between him and Reich, I don't know how we ever won a game. He must aspire to be pathetic.

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Our schedule will be a lot more difficult next season. And AR still needs playing time. We have injuries in our secondary - no doubt - but it's not like we're getting back a bunch of elite players. We're talking regular starters here.

That  doesn’t meant we won’t be better. We could be a better team and have the same or slightly worse record. Ballard does the right things this off season they will be good.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That  doesn’t meant we won’t be better. We could be a better team and have the same or slightly worse record. Ballard does the right things this off season they will be good.

I think we'll be better, I just don't think we'll be contenders for the playoffs next season.

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

Honestly, I think you’re putting too much stock in Richardson. I think the jury is still out on the guy.

Why wouldn’t I. You seen what he looked like in his limited time. You realize what he will do for the run game. We seen it when he played. It opened the entire offense up and our weapons were so open with so much space. Your the one discounting what we saw at the start.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

They should shut him down because he’s not going to sit down otherwise. They are hurting the franchise long term.

Yeah, by the way he's played - rather struggled - on the field, it's painful to watch... Qualifying for playoffs at this point only makes the problem worse.

They should prepare the team with backup QB next two games and see how far they could go. Lawrence isn't even close to the usual self to risk for that one game in January. 

Franklin is really over rated . He and Moore were abused in the running game all day long. Plus Franklin had a chance at an easy game changing int. Stewart needs to outfight the QB for a ball laying on the turf. Other than leaving big plays on the field and stinking up both sides of the ball , it was a pretty good effort.

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Why wouldn’t I. You seen what he looked like in his limited time. You realize what he will do for the run game. We seen it when he played. It opened the entire offense up and our weapons were so open with so much space. Your the one discounting what we saw at the start.

Listen, I want to make clear that I am very much pro AR. But I want to temper my expectations, because of his experience and current short comings. AR is 1-2 this season. Personally I think you're misremembering how open our players were and how amazing our offense was.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1