Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rumor: If Colts beat Patriots BB could be gone

Restinpeacesweetchloe

I doubt Kraft moves on from Belichek.....especially to replace him with a average HC and or a unknown. The only coaches Kraft has hired is Pete Carroll & Belichek. Both will be HOF bound imo. 

The only way Kraft moves on from him is if someone like Harbaugh becomes available, and he usually is some form of violations from the ncaa....so maybe he does become available to Kraft and then Belichek goes to the Giants and drafts Caleb or Maye. 

That.scenario would be a Win win for both organizations and the NFL.

16 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Really not interested in a debate on who the best coach of all time is. It’s mindless to me because there is no right or wrong answer. A case can be wellargued for several. 

I know the history and record of all you mentioned. I am old enough to have seen them all Coach except for Lombardi. My own opinion BB is the best.  All had bad seasons and all needed good players to win. 

It’s called “The Lombardi Trophy” for a reason.  :lecture:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Stop it. It’s always been clear you need a QB.

And let’s not act like Brady went to the Browns or Lions to win more superbowl…he went to an already loaded team.

Give BB Stroud and I doubt this conversation is happening.

While i definitely agree, the Patriots havent drafted well in years. Even before Brady left. BB bust record is not much better than that of Grigson . 

9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I doubt Kraft moves on from Belichek.....especially to replace him with a average HC and or a unknown. The only coaches Kraft has hired is Pete Carroll & Belichek. Both will be HOF bound imo. 

The only way Kraft moves on from him is if someone like Harbaugh becomes available, and he usually is some form of violations from the ncaa....so maybe he does become available to Kraft and then Belichek goes to the Giants and drafts Caleb or Maye. 

I think it’s more probable that the hooded one just retires. He’s 72 with 6 rings for Pete’s sake. I doubt he’d want being fired on his legacy. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think it’s more probable that the hooded one just retires. He’s 72 with 6 rings for Pete’s sake. I doubt he’d want being fired on his legacy. 

I could see him staying if they get a good qb in the draft, if not might as well hang em up.  

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

It’s called “The Lombardi Trophy” for a reason.  :lecture:

Yeah, it is all subjective, like any debate about GOAT's. It depends on what era someone might think was tougher to win in as well. Breaking down the decades, IMO there were 2 coaches that stood out in each decade regarding wins and SB wins:

60's

1. Vince Lombardi - Won 2 SB's in the 60's.

2. Weeb Ewbank - Won the SB in 1968 as a huge underdog.

70's

1. Don Shula - Won 2 SB's in the 70's, went undefeated in 1972.

2. Chuck Knoll - Won 4 SB's in the 70's.

80's

1. Bill Walsh - Won 3 SB's in the 80's.

2. Joe Gibbs - Won 2 SB's in the 80's, 3 overall.

90's

1. Jimmy Johnson - Won 2 SB's in the 90's. Built a team from 1-15 to a dynasty.

2. Mike Shannahan - Won 2 SB's in the 90's.

2000's-09

1. Bill Belichick - Won 3 SB's in the 2000's-09

2. Tony Dungy - Won a SB in 2006 and won 76% of his games with Indy.

2010's-19

1. Bill Belichick - Won 3 SB's in the 2010's-19.

2. Andy Reid - got a SB win in 2019.

-I guess, pick your poison. Belichick does has the advantage because he dominated for 2 decades.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, it is all subjective, like any debate about GOAT's. It depends on what era someone might think was tougher to win in as well. Breaking down the decades, IMO there were 2 coaches that stood out in each decade regarding wins and SB wins:

60's

1. Vince Lomabardi - Won 2 SB's in the 60's.

70's

80's

90's

2000's-09

2010's-19

-I guess, pick your poison. Belichick does has the advantage because he dominated for 2 decades.

Lombardi was on his way to turning the Washington REDSKINS around as their new head coach.  He was stopped in that trek by colon cancer.  Best of his era...one of the greatest all-time.  :^)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Heard on sports talk radio this morning that a rumor coming out of a Boston station is that Kraft is targeting Vrabel and Casserio from the Titans to be his new HC and GM combination.  Big juicy rumor but I could see him trying to pull it off.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Lombardi was on his way to turning the Washington REDSKINS around as their new head coach.  He was stopped in that trek by colon cancer.  Best of his era...one of the greatest all-time.  :^)

Yeah, even before the SB era, Lombardi won 3 NFL Championships. After seeing how BB is doing without Brady, I would probably rank Lombardi #1. I personally think Joe Gibbs is a genius. Winning 3 SB's with Theismann, then Williams, then Rypien is amazing. 3 QB's that aren't even close to being Hall of Famers and he was doing that in the 80's and 90's going up against coaches like Shula, Walsh, Parcells, and Ditka. Not to mention Landry who was a great coach up until around 1987.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

While i definitely agree, the Patriots havent drafted well in years. Even before Brady left. BB bust record is not much better than that of Grigson . 

Understood. I wasn’t trying to include the GM portion for BB, he has failed there and it is showing now. 

As far as coaching goes, stadiums would sell out just to hear him speak on his experiences. 

23 hours ago, chad72 said:

The failures mounted once BB became GM too, IMO. BB should have stayed in his lane to be HC/DC all the time and not be the GM for stockpiling talent. The drafts have been downright mediocre for the Patriots, coasting based on past laurels.

He had his D and special teams ready while Brady and McDaniels together took care of the offense. The roles were intact and once a certain side had to compensate for the other, the imbalance, like with any other team turned them to a mediocre to a putrid team at times. In year 1 of Mac Jones, when McDaniels was still there, they played good balanced football and managed to be a playoff team.

BB has been GM from day one in New England.

• Like 1

In all seriousness, this seems highly unlikely to happen. 

I would think Bill has earned the right to finish out the year. Besides, if the team ends up in the top 5 of the draft, they get a shiny new QB to help start a rebuild. 

This game kind of feels like a trap for us though. Weird stuff usually happens when we play the Patriots, and usually we're on the losing side of that weird stuff. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Painterman said:

BB has been GM from day one in New England.

I didn't realize that, you are right. He did get a lot of help from Scott Pioli from 2000-2008 though, for some reason thought Pioli was GM then.

However, his drafts and team management have gotten worse. You never saw them throw money at free agents like they did the last 3 years for the likes of Jonnu Smith, Nelson Agholor, Kendrick Bourne in the past.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

60's

70's

80's

90's

2000's-09

2010's-19

he is the best. he knew how to take out his opponents strength and take advantage of their weak spots. he was a master at taking advantage of flaws in the rules. as gm he was not afraid to sign bad character guys or spend money for elite talent. he did not shop for talent in the bargain bin. the colts could use him for a gm to build a winning roster

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

60's

70's

80's

90's

2000's-09

2010's-19

Congrats!    This is flat out one of your bests posts — ever!   You should book mark it, because you may want to reference it many times in the future!   

Great post!!    Bravo!!    :thmup:     :worthy:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Congrats!    This is flat out one of your bests posts — ever!   You should book mark it, because you may want to reference it many times in the future!   

Great post!!    Bravo!!    :thmup:     :worthy:

Thanks, I even mentioned Tom Landry at the end. I was trying not to leave anyone out that really stood out. Imo it does depend on era. That is why if someone had Johnny Unitas the greatest QB ever, I can't really argue it because he belongs in that discussion with guys like Brady, Peyton, and Montana. People have different preferences so who am I to tell them they are wrong. 

20 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Heard on sports talk radio this morning that a rumor coming out of a Boston station is that Kraft is targeting Vrabel and Casserio from the Titans to be his new HC and GM combination.  Big juicy rumor but I could see him trying to pull it off.

Can he go after Vrabel though? I mean he’s under contract with the titans, he’d have to trade for him

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Did Andy Reid dominate the 2000's more than the 2010's? Those Eagles were in the NFCCG every year it seemed lol then they finally gave McNabb a weapon and the eagles took off. Kinda precursor to Brady getting Moss..

Anyways long story short. Andy Reid has been doing pretty good for a looong time too

20 hours ago, richard pallo said:

It is all over the tabloids/internet. I am not surprised at Kraft's desire to hire Vrabel. He is a good coach and leader. I like Vrabel. He is everything McDaniels is not.

https://atozsports.com/nashville/titans-patriots-mike-vrabel-robert-kraft-head-coach-bill-belichick-owner-news-nfl-pipe-dream/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2023/11/06/sports/patriots-have-home-run-hire-to-eventually-replace-bill-belichick/amp/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Did Andy Reid dominate the 2000's more than the 2010's? Those Eagles were in the NFCCG every year it seemed lol then they finally gave McNabb a weapon and the eagles took off. Kinda precursor to Brady getting Moss..

Anyways long story short. Andy Reid has been doing pretty good for a looong time too

He did well from 2000-09 but no because he didn't win any SB's. Dungy won a SB and had a better winning% in the 2000's-09.

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

It is all over the tabloids/internet. I am not surprised at Kraft's desire to hire Vrabel. He is a good coach and leader. I like Vrabel. He is everything McDaniels is not.

https://atozsports.com/nashville/titans-patriots-mike-vrabel-robert-kraft-head-coach-bill-belichick-owner-news-nfl-pipe-dream/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2023/11/06/sports/patriots-have-home-run-hire-to-eventually-replace-bill-belichick/amp/

Vrabel comes off as a smug jackwagon sometimes, but he's a good coach and a good man. Loves his players and they love him. Seems pretty darn intelligent too. 

I'd be okay if he was out of our division lol...

On 11/8/2023 at 9:06 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

60's

70's

80's

90's

2000's-09

2010's-19

Don Shula:

1963-1969 … Baltimore Colts HC, RS = 71W-24L-4T .755, PO = 2W-3L, 1 NFL Championship wins, 2 NFL Championship losses, 1 SuperBowl loss.

Note, in 1967 Shula led the Colts to an 11-1-2 .917 record, but the Colts still missed the playoffs, despite being TIED with the LA Rams for the NFL’s BEST record!

1970-1995 … Miami Dolphins HC, RS = 257W-133L-2T .659, PO = 17W-14L, 5 SB appearances w/2 SuperBowl wins.

Note, 33 total seasons as a head coach, with a grand total of just 2 losing (below .500) seasons!  Incredible, and imho, the best.  And he had incredible success with a variety of QBs and through arguably three eras of football.  Whereas pretty much all of Belichick’s success came with but one QB, Tom Brady.

• Like 1